Process for New Players getting Build Permissions

jthomsonmain's Avatar jthomsonmain1/20/14 9:18 pm
1 emeralds 31
Hey all, Just looking for some feedback here, maybe some fresh ideas from other server admins.

My server is set up with 4 permissions groups... Guest, Member, Mod, and Admin. The Guest group is assigned to all new players, and has no permissions other than basic communication, movement, and teleporting back to spawn. Members are able to build, etc. People have gone so far as to call me an idiot.

The process I have set up involves TONS of messages, including announcements every 40 seconds that say "New and cant build? Visit our website to find out how!" with links everywhere!

If you visit the website, Here is what you find, with links to everything:

First Things First!

Welcome to our Community! Now you are probably wondering why you cant modify anything in our world! Dont worry, its by design. Lets face it, would you give any random stranger the keys to your car without getting to know them first? We like to get to know our players before giving them the ability to build and modify our world.

Things we require before letting you build!

We require all of our members to have an account on our forums. You can find a link to the right to register an account (Register on the Forums). After registering, Please make a post in the "Welcome Center". New members are required to make 5 posts before we allow them in our servers!

After registering, we also recomend that you read and understand our Minecraft Rules (See "Minecraft Rules" link to the right).

After you have done all of that, Please see a staff member while Ingame, or contact Kick-Ash on the forums.

Continued membership ingame requires a minimum of 10 posts on the forum per month!

Now, I get complaints all the time about how people cant build, the process is too complicated, etc.

On the flip side, Anyone who has ever actually went through the process, has done so without issue, and has turned out to be a very valuable member of our server, with little to no issues of theft, vandalism, etc.

To boil it down, Am I being to crazy with my requirements for new players? Does anyone have any better ideas or input on how I can make my process better?
jthomsonmain
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner