Protecting spawn in downloadable worlds?

Starflyr3's Avatar Starflyr311/22/19 8:32 am
2 emeralds 389 7
11/24/2019 7:59 am
Starflyr3's Avatar Starflyr3
Maybe this is a stupid question, IDK, but all I have found so far are ways to protect spawn on a server, not on a downloadable map.

1) is it possible?

2) is it worth the time to to it?

3) How?

Example: Im making a planets/spaceship map, and the spaceship is made of things that the players need to gather. Now, in the premise of the game, it would be stupid to destroy the ship and would make the map completely pointless. Should I even worry about it?
Starflyr3
Level 24 : Expert Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/22/2019 11:56 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
Put them in adventure mode when entering a certain range.
e.g. /execute as @a[x=0,y=63,z=0,dx=..20,dy=1,dz=..20] run gamemode adventure @s
/execute as @a unless entity @s[x=0,y=63,z=0,dx=..20,dy=1,dz=..20] run gamemode survival @s
These 2 commands should do it. Note the 2 dots might not work for dx & dz, so you may need to remove them
11/22/2019 10:57 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Miner
icephantom
You could try this mod - sounds like it'll do what you want :
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/worldprotector

or you could use command blocks.A command something like :
/execute positioned (coords of center of area) run gamemode adventure @p[distance=..(radius of area)]

of course, you'll have to fill in the correct values, and you'd have to have it as a repeating command.
11/22/2019 11:43 pm
Starflyr3
I saw that, I just thought that worldprotector was for servers, not singleplayer worlds. I think maybe Im overthinking it; IDK. My main issue is when I try to get my kids to test the projects - they are FAR more interested in ruining them than testing them.

Yes, I can re-DL the original to their computers over and over, but it's a pain b/c I have to reset network permissions every. dang. time b/c my son is too good at getting around all the security we set up, and for some weird reason .zip files cause major issues on their computers (yes, they're crappy, and I have no idea whats up with that. Mods tend to break them too except for a select few). My husband is an engineer and long time computer geek (like early 80s Apple II geek) and has made things REALLY convoluted, and he doesnt like messing with MC stuff bc it updates so often.

When (if) I get around to fixing up our servers, I'll get worldprotector for *SURE* - or if I put something I dont want them to touch on one of them. So far, I keep project files just on my personal PC and use dropbox to share outside the house, and we just use the server for family creative building (aka I make it, they destroy it and/or break it, and we move on). I think the servers are still on 1.10 as well... 1 might be 1.12.2 so.... yeah.
11/23/2019 2:01 amhistory
icephantom
Not sure what operating system you are using ( or your little ones ), however, I find 7zip does for me if you are interested in trying something different. You can find that here : https://www.7-zip.org/download.html
There are options at the bottom of the page for Linux and Mac as well as Windows.

Sounds like you may be using multiple instances of Minecraft. Not sure what you are using to do that, but a really easy launcher to set up and use is multimc. You can find that here : https://multimc.org/
Again, options for Windows, Linux and Mac. If you are using it - great, if not, for multiple instances of different Minecraft versions, or for the same version with different mod settings, you'll find it real easy to get to grips with - even the little ones should like it.

And, Yes, Worldprotector is for SSP and SMP, so well worth a look, although if you want the more technical side, command blocks are good, but take a little getting into. Command blocks are built into vanilla minecraft so you don't have to go looking for them, you just have to find out how they work.

EDIT :
Also found this mod to .......... might work, doesn't look as good as the otherone, but always worth a look just in case it appeals : https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/land-manager
11/23/2019 10:35 am
Starflyr3
My husband set up the servers; and yes, they are on different OS's. We have about 14 networks in the house and I cant even try to count the # of computers.

Why he did it that way, I cant even fathom, but it's so convoluted now, there is NO WAY I can streamline the servers by myself. Which is the other reason why I work on my personal PC for my projects, and not on a server.
11/24/2019 12:01 am
icephantom
Wow, and I thought I was a nerd .......... 14 networks in a single household is a little overkill in my opinion, but to each his / her own.
It would have been much easier to transfer files around if at least the server(s) you need to use, and the little one's pc's were all on the same network. Having them all the same operating system would also make things much easier. I realise that hubby is unlikely to change things just for minecraft, but its certainly worth an ask. I've nothing else I can suggest to assist further.
For example, if I want to share a minecraft version with a particular map for singleplayer play, I can create the 'instance' using multimc along with all the necessary mods and map, then, with remote access to the directory of the pc where the multimc instances are kept, I can just copy and paste the enire instance directory straight onto the remote machine and the next time the user starts multimc, they will see the new instance straight away and be able to play it. I can also do something similar if I wish to transfer a server instance to my minecraft server for multiplayer play.
It really doesn't take much to set up some permissions on the remote machines and to get them all to talk to eachother, but it does require a little help from your network admin - in this case, hubby.
11/24/2019 7:59 amhistory
Starflyr3
They are on a different network, but I can (sometimes) transfer files to them. I just... yeah. Right now, I can share pretty much anything with my daughter's computer, (saves, mods, etc), but I cant do anything with my son's. They dont have a web browser permission on their computer, and that's a double backup to the router, so they ALSO cant get it if I upload it here or Dropbox. Realms can work if the world has no mods. It's just frustrating.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome