Server Hosting?

Orthokid's Avatar Orthokid3/12/14 10:09 pm
1 emeralds 250 8
3/18/2014 2:01 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
I have a pretty powerful computer, and I don't use all of the power it has, so I'm think of hosting a server. However, I need everyone's input first.

I am currently hosting a few modded servers for my friends to go on, but nothing public. If I were to set up my own public server, what point should I tackle it from? Should I just do another faction server like everyone else? Or is there something different I can try? Also, is it a good idea for me to sell server space to other people?

I am a decent builder, as I am working on a few projects, so I can do the architecture myself. I'm really good at putting files together for plugins and managing the IP side of the server. I hate doing permissions coding, but my brother doesn't mind sitting there and typing for hours. Setting up a donation system shouldn't be too hard.

I would really appreciate anyone's comments or ideas on how I can use my abilities and resources to try and make a good server and a little extra money.
Orthokid
Level 11 : Journeyman Taco

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/13/2014 6:34 pm
Orthokid
What mod should I do, in other words, which mod/ modpack is in the highest demand?
03/18/2014 2:01 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Try Feed The Beast, or perhaps Ars Magica?

EnderFallsMCI can host for you, it will be cheaper than any company and i will be able to provide much better customer service.
Email me and we can talk about it.

x17Andrew71x@gmail.com

What on EARTH is with all the advertising these days...?
03/14/2014 9:50 pm
Snowyfox
...That, I don't know, lol. Soz.
03/13/2014 5:54 pm
Snowyfox
Orthokid
Snowyfox
OrthokidI am currently hosting a few modded servers for my friends to go on,

Port them for public use? Or do the same thing but for public? Since you're already experienced in that area, and some people are begging for modded servers to come back again.

*EDIT* Define "modded". I don't call Craftbukkit servers modded even though it IS technically a "server mod".

The servers are technically already "Public", but I haven't given the ip to anyone else. I have one Craftbukkit server, one Tekkit Server, and one BTeam server.

Also, should I post my computer specs?

Nah. But yeah, try perhaps using this knowledge on your public servers, a lot of people really want modded servers.
03/13/2014 5:43 pm
Orthokid
Snowyfox

Port them for public use? Or do the same thing but for public? Since you're already experienced in that area, and some people are begging for modded servers to come back again.

*EDIT* Define "modded". I don't call Craftbukkit servers modded even though it IS technically a "server mod".

The servers are technically already "Public", but I haven't given the ip to anyone else. I have one Craftbukkit server, one Tekkit Server, and one BTeam server.

Also, should I post my computer specs?
03/13/2014 12:14 am
Snowyfox

03/12/2014 11:09 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
ssSkillzzz
Just a bit of info, if you're wanting the server to hold more than just a few people without major lag you'll want to have it on a machine that either is designed to be a server or a machine without any other activity. A self run server is ok for a few people but if you have more than a handful it's going to be too much.
03/12/2014 10:29 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Bunny
crazyeagle
Sounds like you know what you are doing from the technical aspect, so you should be okay there. I wouldnt make another factions server, if you are looking to build up a decent sized player base. Try to find a unique idea or at least a cool spin on an existing one.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome