1
Why am I getting low FPS?
Hey guys, Stiggz here, just asking for some assistance with a problem I'm having:
On normal render distance, I'm only getting roughly 60-80 FPS on my PC, WITH Optifine installed. On Server's I get even less, probably because my Internet is crap, so it takes a while to download all the chunks, but Single player is the main issue here.
Here's my PC's Specs:
~Alienware M17xR4
~Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
~Intel 3rd gen Core i7 3720QM 2.6-3.6Ghz (8 Core Ivy Bridge)
~AMD Radeon HD 7970M
~32GB Corsair Vengeance@1666Mhz RAM
~1TB Seagate HDD
~120GB Intel SSD (Boot)
Don't post saying it's because my PC is an Alienware -.- It runs everything else absolutely perfectly.
But the problem is, I've got everything updated, here's a list of my Software that I have running when Minecrafting:
~Java 7u21 (32 & 64-Bit versions, but Minecraft uses the 64-Bit)
~Batch file that starts Minecraft with 8GB of RAM allocated to it.
~FRAPS
Mods List:
~Modloader
~TMI
~Rei's Minimap
~Optifine
~Minecraft Tweaker (Optimises LWJGL and Minecraft settings)
Any help is much appreciated!
~Stiggz
On normal render distance, I'm only getting roughly 60-80 FPS on my PC, WITH Optifine installed. On Server's I get even less, probably because my Internet is crap, so it takes a while to download all the chunks, but Single player is the main issue here.
Here's my PC's Specs:
~Alienware M17xR4
~Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
~Intel 3rd gen Core i7 3720QM 2.6-3.6Ghz (8 Core Ivy Bridge)
~AMD Radeon HD 7970M
~32GB Corsair Vengeance@1666Mhz RAM
~1TB Seagate HDD
~120GB Intel SSD (Boot)
Don't post saying it's because my PC is an Alienware -.- It runs everything else absolutely perfectly.
But the problem is, I've got everything updated, here's a list of my Software that I have running when Minecrafting:
~Java 7u21 (32 & 64-Bit versions, but Minecraft uses the 64-Bit)
~Batch file that starts Minecraft with 8GB of RAM allocated to it.
~FRAPS
Mods List:
~Modloader
~TMI
~Rei's Minimap
~Optifine
~Minecraft Tweaker (Optimises LWJGL and Minecraft settings)
Any help is much appreciated!
~Stiggz
78
1.) Run batch file as admin
2.) Edit your ram allocation in control panel
2.) Edit your ram allocation in control panel
I seriously doubt that 8GB of RAM is not enough; I run MC with either 512MB or 1GB and get 60 FPS on servers I have a good connection with, and that's fantastic.
Well, I'd like to start off my saying that I think it's funny that you're complaining about getting 60-80 FPS.
Anyway, since your computer is retail and distributed (or even manufactured) by Dell, it probably has its fair share of bloatware on it (i.e. Dell Stage, Dell DataSafe Backup, etc.). Try uninstalling some of the unneeded programs Dell/Alienware installs on it (keep the ones you use, of course!).
Anyway, since your computer is retail and distributed (or even manufactured) by Dell, it probably has its fair share of bloatware on it (i.e. Dell Stage, Dell DataSafe Backup, etc.). Try uninstalling some of the unneeded programs Dell/Alienware installs on it (keep the ones you use, of course!).
Well it's just usually people are getting higher FPS on the same PC as me.
And Dell just owns Alienware, they don't actually make them or distribute them, so the only Software that the PC comes with is the Alienware Control Centre (For setting up all the fancy lights) and the stock GPU Drivers.
And Dell just owns Alienware, they don't actually make them or distribute them, so the only Software that the PC comes with is the Alienware Control Centre (For setting up all the fancy lights) and the stock GPU Drivers.
Try updating your graphics card drivers to their latest version. It's worth a shot.
I've already tried that, both the latest stable driver and the latest beta driver.
From what I understand, Minecraft uses your CPU, not your GPU.
From what I understand, Minecraft uses your CPU, not your GPU.
haha yeah bloatware sucks
Blame Paril.
I'm seeking legitimate help here, if you have nothing useful to contribute, please leave.
+1
Damnit, not again.
If you're using an HD Texture Pack try using the original and see how that works.
Try installing Optifine @ http://www.optifine.net
Try Force Updating
Turning your PC on and off.
Deleting MC off your PC entirely and re-installing it.
Try using a low quality Texture Pack like 8x.
Let your PC set off for a day or so.
Update Graphics Card drivers.
Delete System32
That's about all I can think of. If none of these work PM me and I can maybe think of more.
Try installing Optifine @ http://www.optifine.net
Try Force Updating
Turning your PC on and off.
Deleting MC off your PC entirely and re-installing it.
Try using a low quality Texture Pack like 8x.
Let your PC set off for a day or so.
Update Graphics Card drivers.
Delete System32
That's about all I can think of. If none of these work PM me and I can maybe think of more.
Already tried all of that, but thanks for the suggestions lol.
I'm not using a texture pack, and I've already got Optifine and updated all Mods.
I'm not using a texture pack, and I've already got Optifine and updated all Mods.
Try running it with less RAM the more ram could be the cause because its an overload. I have 1GB of ram and get 100-200 FPS
60-80 FPS is fast ._.
For SOME people it is
The game is pretty much smooth at about 30 FPS, and not changing much at all above 60 FPS.
True, I ususally have it locked on VSync (60FPS) anyways.
I turn VSync off though when I want to performance test my Minecraft.
I turn VSync off though when I want to performance test my Minecraft.
Running a FPS that fluctuates at about 150 FPS on render distance far and graphics on fancy LIKE A BAWSS.
Unless you have a $$$ monitor, your refresh rate is 60Hz. No need for more than 60fps then.
Even then, the human eye can't distinguise anything higher than 60 fps.
Mostly, huge rates are wished to be achieved simply for bragging rights.
Mostly, huge rates are wished to be achieved simply for bragging rights.
idky people always say that. I can see the difference in a 60hz and 120hz monitor. You can't measure vision in fps. But 60fps is adequate for most people.
I'm simply repeating what I've heard a few times. I don't believe I've ever played around with a 120hz monitor.
So I could be wrong..
So I could be wrong..
I think that the trained eye can recognize higher FPS than 60. I can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 200.
-BD
-BD
agreed...i dunno why he is complaining
i get below 10 fps, and don't know why hes complaining...
i get 15fps on normal settings and 50+ on low low low setting w/optifine
uninstal your current version of java and install Java 6 JRE
How would that help?
Java 6 has been discontinued, and it's not as efficient as Java 7.
Java 6 has been discontinued, and it's not as efficient as Java 7.
Haha! I have a computer with only 4 GB ram, I'm not using optifine, I use HD texture packs, all my settings are at the best visual quality, and I have tons of mods and I get 80-90 fps when connected to servers I have a crappy connection to! Obviously you're computer is full of crap and viruses... Time for you to get a new one...
I JUST got this one like a month ago -.-
And yes, I do have good Anti-Virus (TrendMicro Titanium)
And yes, I do have good Anti-Virus (TrendMicro Titanium)
Well honestly, Stiggy, 60-70 FPS is just fine. It's very adequate. For the game to run smooth all you need is 30 FPS. You have around 3o-5o above that.
I know, I'm just the kind of guy that likes to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my PC as I can.
Thanks for everyone's help though, much appreciated
Thanks for everyone's help though, much appreciated
Sounds like Minecraft is defaulting to the HD 4000 instead of the 7970M... You should be getting at least 300FPS with that GPU.
Go into your Catalyst control panel, find the option where it indicates what GPU you're defaulting to and switch it over to the 7970M.
Go into your Catalyst control panel, find the option where it indicates what GPU you're defaulting to and switch it over to the 7970M.
I'll try that, thanks!
Is there anyway to disable the 4000/the CPU's one?
Is there anyway to disable the 4000/the CPU's one?
You can but with laptops it can mean anything from having to go into the BIOS and disabling the iGPU from there or something as easy having an executable doing it for you. It all depends on the manufacturer and Alienware isn't something I'm all that familiar with.
Ah ok cool, thanks!
GOD what id do for 60-80 FPS! but if you are worried about your devices functionality, I would recommend you updating you graphics card, not your video card, your graphics card, and honestly fraps is a bitch on any dell computers (even alienware) you can try other forms of recording, but honestly I wouldn't be worried about your fps unless it is something like constantly freezing, that means your computer is reaching its amount of ram too fast and minecraft cant control it, so it freezes until it drops to a level where it can load and repeats the process, again try downloading more RAM but I would just check for a decent graphics card for your present one! im quite to date on technological utilities but sometimes, the smallest things can make the biggest impact, I currently can run over 99 mods on my minecraft with my custom 128x texture pack just fine! I would recommend not using shaders but from what ive seen you aren't! if you have any more questions please feel free to contact me! ill be waiting to hear back!
1. My GPU is the top in the Radeon HD 7xxxM Series
2. One does not simply download more Ram -___________________________-
2. One does not simply download more Ram -___________________________-
you can download more RAM from your computers company producers, you CAN, its just not cheap, and its a bitch, trust me, ive had to buy more RAM twice on my computer!
1. I think you mean BUY more RAM.
2. My PC can't take anymore, 32GB is the limit for it, and most if not all Laptops.
2. My PC can't take anymore, 32GB is the limit for it, and most if not all Laptops.
"Downloading Ram" is a known forum trolling answer on message boards and other things of people having issues.
see: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/download-more-ram
so either this poster is an idiot or likes to troll. unless his 'downloading ram' means
- purchase it in a store and it 'downloads by post to your front door'
Anyway I had the same issues with my old alienware m17x R3, similar specs but a little older. My issue was that laptops in general (most not all) tend to run minecraft (java games) with less performance than PC's with the same specs do.
I never found a way to resolve my fps on my old alienware before i sold it BUT limiting the ram in magic launcher to 2-4gb for running it and using opifine put me on a steady 120-300 fps on the multiplayer server i was on..
be glad you are not one of the people who are always stuck under 20fps...
Like you i lover to push my pc to the limits so can see why u find it annoying
see: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/download-more-ram
so either this poster is an idiot or likes to troll. unless his 'downloading ram' means
- purchase it in a store and it 'downloads by post to your front door'
Anyway I had the same issues with my old alienware m17x R3, similar specs but a little older. My issue was that laptops in general (most not all) tend to run minecraft (java games) with less performance than PC's with the same specs do.
I never found a way to resolve my fps on my old alienware before i sold it BUT limiting the ram in magic launcher to 2-4gb for running it and using opifine put me on a steady 120-300 fps on the multiplayer server i was on..
be glad you are not one of the people who are always stuck under 20fps...
Like you i lover to push my pc to the limits so can see why u find it annoying
I'm going to assume that you have left rendering distance on either normal or at the same the other people are using that you are comparing too and leap forward to other possibilities first I would get OCCT (its free) it is a stress testing program basically it makes your CPU run at 100% first check your frequency to see if it is actually running at what it is suppose to as I have heard that sometimes I7 CPUs sometimes have a bug either in the motherboard bios or in the chip itself that causes it to run at half of what it should if at 100% usage it is right were it should be then that obviously fine the next thing would be to let it run the stressing for 20-30 minutes to see what the temps are if they are over 60 degrees Celsius the I7 will actually choke itself back to prevent overheating (no two heat sinks are alike nor are CPUs some run a lot hotter then others or there is a factory defect) this is obviously a very in depth approach but its good to know for PC health regardless of minecraft. besides that I would suggest running combofix and malwarebytes its possible that something is just pulling resources and anti-virus programs are rarely sufficient to keep a computer clean.
1. Yes, my render distance is usually around Normal.
2. I don't need to stress-test my CPU, I have already and I don't want to risk wrecking my CPU.
3. I have the Intel Turbo Boost Monitor Gadget on my Desktop that shows what frequency my CPU runs at, and It's just fine.
2. I don't need to stress-test my CPU, I have already and I don't want to risk wrecking my CPU.
3. I have the Intel Turbo Boost Monitor Gadget on my Desktop that shows what frequency my CPU runs at, and It's just fine.
also the allocating ram can be heavily affected chunk loading which can also cause constant freezing or lag! if your computer cant simply handle minecraft try restarting your launcher or try some other easy launchers like I use! (Magic Launcher) its easy and simple to use, its quite effective when coming to mods and such! It automatically starts out with a half of a gig allocating but based n your memory storage output it will update the amount needed once opening your game! (25%) which should be more then enough for alienware 32gb, im currently running Windows 8 64gb hard drive with a dual core processor and and AMD drive that can function just fine with just about anything, try deleting some stuff on your computer if you have alot of stuff also, sometimes lot of memory on your hard drive or desktop can cause stress on your computers compatibility with running Binary Platform, maybe try installing the most recent java encoding platform like 6SE or 7, again it all depends on what youre working with!
1. Maybe my Performance will improve once they bring out the new Launcher for 1.6
2. I don't have THAT much on my PC, I have a 1.5TB USB 3.0 external portable Seagate hard drive that I use to store most things.
3. I will NOT go back to Java 6, that was useless, unsecure and has been discontinued anyway, and I've already re-installed and update my Java 7.
2. I don't have THAT much on my PC, I have a 1.5TB USB 3.0 external portable Seagate hard drive that I use to store most things.
3. I will NOT go back to Java 6, that was useless, unsecure and has been discontinued anyway, and I've already re-installed and update my Java 7.
its good that you've given up 6 its a piece of shit but on some occasions that's all some people can run, java 6 SE binary encoding platform was the peak for java until they made 7 which should be more sustainably well for computers like yours who have reputation needing to run, and the new Magic Launcher update now has a new section for Snapshots so you can start your snapshot right from your regular launcher! and yes im sorry for the misinformation, you can infact buy more ram for 3s gig but you would need a whole new processor for that which would cost more then the computers worth to change!
stress testing a cpu that is not overclocked will not damage your computer i promise you this not that it matters much on the internet but I have been working on, fixing, building systems for over 6 years if your computer cannot handle a stress testing program and its not overclocked it needs to be sent back to the factory cause it wont live long
I already HAVE stress tested my CPU, and it's fine.
I don't need to overclock it, it's fine how it is.
I don't need to overclock it, it's fine how it is.
I think I might just try using the Dev new launcher that they'll be using for 1.6.
View 28 more replies
