Starting Datapackslive_help

EndermanDotDat's Avatar EndermanDotDat8/3/21 4:17 am
9/12/2021 5:25 pm
EndermanDotDat's Avatar EndermanDotDat
I want to start data packs. Function data packs maybe? I have little idea how to start this out. I like commands even though they tend to frustrate me. and I've made a data pack from an OMGchad tutorial before but I don't know how to start. if anyone has some command/data pack tips or tutorials it would help a lot. Thanks!

also, what part of data packs should I start first? answer in the bottom

Poll ended 08/10/2021 2:57 pm.

EndermanDotDat
Level 30 : Artisan Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Starmute
08/09/2021 3:00 pm
Level 91 : Overlord Terraformer
Try worldgen. :)
HoboMaggot
08/09/2021 7:27 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
They should also try shaders while they're at it ;D
EndermanDotDat
08/09/2021 3:05 pm
history
no

[​edit] *I thought you were asking me to try the mod worldgen 0-0*
EndermanDotDat
08/09/2021 2:58 pm
history
Thanks for the help guys!
EndermanDotDat
08/04/2021 4:34 pm
history
I know about Bertie's tutorial guys, I said so twice.
HoboMaggot
08/04/2021 7:08 pm
If you've known about it before the creation of the post then why didnt you say so?
EndermanDotDat
08/04/2021 11:31 pm
history
no, I knew after I created the post, the first comment here was me saying I noticed berties tutorial right after me
SUPERIONtheKnight
08/04/2021 3:29 am
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
I second what DinowCookie & HoboMaggot suggested as Bertiecrafters tutorials are excellent and I highly recommend them! :)
With that said, I can also recommend the Minecraft Wiki as it has proven to be an invaluable resource over the years. If there is a command or something else related to datapacks you want to learn about, chances are that the minecraft wiki has you covered.
I also recommend giving Slicedlime a try. He's a Mojang dev who uploads to Youtube pretty regularly going into detail about what has changed throughout each snapshot, and release in recent years(yes, even the technical stuff). He's pretty underrated IMO. :)

Now if I had to give a recommendation on where to start, it would definitely be to start with functions. The fact that you already have an idea on how to use command blocks is all the more reason to do so. If you are already familiar with the concept, and can get started on cool stuff a lot sooner as a result, why not? :)

Not sure what you mean by "Name", but understanding JSON is a very good next step. You will be able to do more things like making use of the /tellraw command, messing with loot tables, and even block/item/function tags.

My final tip is to experiment! Try things out, and don't be afraid of things breaking(If you're paranoid about it, try things out in a test world you don't care about.). I actually plan to be messing with worldgen settings for the first time rather soon. I'm probably going to have a hard time getting started, but diving right on in is sometimes the best way to learn IMO. :)

But yea, I hope this helps!
EndermanDotDat
08/04/2021 4:38 pm
history
ok, (btw I have already started making a function datapack with multiple namespaces so I'm pretty sure I need to learn json) also by name I mean datapack details like maybe a resource pack or advancement saying this is my datapack
EndermanDotDat
08/03/2021 2:20 pm
for everyone mentioning Bertie's tutorial. I saw it after I posted this. just saying
DinowCookie
08/03/2021 5:51 am
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur
HoboMaggot
08/03/2021 5:50 am
history
EndermanDotDat
09/09/2021 10:38 am
history
that's just a link to this post with the text showing his tutorial...
HoboMaggot
09/09/2021 7:38 pm
idk what happened within the month that "corrupted" the link, but its fixed now.
Also why are you still here if you said you knew berties tutorial?
EndermanDotDat
09/12/2021 5:25 pm
because I like visiting old places
Pleasenotme
08/03/2021 5:30 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Nerd
How much do you know about commands? There's a LOT of stuff you can do with functions data packs and resource packs together - There's a lot of stuff that I haven't done after several years of data packing!

You're going to need to know how to use scoreboards to make the more advanced stuff. At first you might just use scoreboards to store and increment/decrement/set values for your data pack's scoreboards, but eventually you can start using combinations of scoreboards and other commands to do more interesting stuff.

For example, one thing I learnt to do a few months ago was to make an entity (can be a player) shoot a fireball. The fireball was first summoned ahead of the player, then the XYZ coordinates of the player and the fireball were stored in scoreboards, then the difference between the scores was stored in the fireball's scores, and the motion of the fireball was set from the scores (there might be a few more steps xP).

If you're interested in adding custom items, you should look into resource packs, specifically overriding with CustomModelData. From there you can get to designing good-looking models for your items. Also, you can try out custom nbt-output crafting. This is, interestingly, done using knowledge books. The knowledge book is unobtainable without cheats, so it's commonly used for these recipes. The recipe will output a knowledge book, use a custom advancement to detect when a player uses this recipe, and then clears the knowledge book and gives the desired item using /give. The possibilities are limitless!

I'd say, start with functions, then learn JSON stuff like loot tables and advancements, and then use the two together.
Silabear
08/03/2021 4:45 am
He/Him • Level 68 : High Grandmaster Guard Bear
Plan out your datapack first, then make the function files and make a start with the commands, adding in anything else where needed.
EndermanDotDat
08/03/2021 4:27 am
history
after my post came a data pack function tutorial. what a coincidence...

[​edit] Notice Me
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome