Are Mojang shooting themselves (and mod developers!) in the foot?

ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser11/26/19 5:09 am history
6 emeralds 1.7k 24
12/18/2019 1:01 am
ThursdayMorning's Avatar ThursdayMorning
Hi gang,

When it comes to Minecraft mods then I'm plain out a casual gamer, the only mod I use on a regular basis is OptiFine but everything else... Don't get me wrong: I enjoy mods, but it has always been a chore to make sure that everything was up to date so I never really bothered much and only did so every once in a while.

SO here we are... There are three mods in specific which I really enjoy playing with, when used together of course.. These are Tinkers Construct, IndustrialCraft and Applied Energistics 2. Well, if you check their product pages you'll notice one issue when you head to the download section... all these mods have been recently updated yet they were released for... Minecraft 1.12.2!

....uhm, did I miss something? Last time I checked we're almost close to the 1.15 release, that's 3 releases behind. And since a new version - generally speaking - comes out once per year they surely must have had plenty of time to make things work, right?

Well... not so much. 1.13 changed a lot within Minecraft but don't underestimate 1.14 either.

And there's more to say for staying on 1.12.2: time spent on trying to make things work with modern versions is also time which cannot be spend on updating the mod itself some more. And then there's another issue: all those changes to get things working could easily introduce a new set of bugs and problems, which is also not very useful.

Of course as a player I'm somewhat disappointed... I'd lime to play with all the new mobs like drowned and the pillagers.

Leading up to...

Are Mojang shooting themselves in the foot by somewhat pushing away the community?

Don't get me wrong here.. this isn't your classic "Mojang bad & mod devs good" tirade because that's simply not true. There is definitely something to say for the changes which Mojang applied to the game. The new commandset allows us to do more with Minecraft than ever before, my personal favorite /data is a very good example of that. It is safe to say that Minecraft today is very close to being more than just a game: it's also becoming one awesome gaming platform in which you can basically build tons of your own stuff which simply runs within the Minecraft world.

I truly think it's very impressive.

But the other side of the medal is that server owners and mod developers are more than often struggling to keep up. Which. one way or the other, leaves us with a somewhat split community.

And so I ask you guys, what do you think?

Poll ended 12/17/2019 5:09 am.

ShelLuser
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/27/2019 2:02 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Knox_y
They don't care about mod devs, they also tried to buy Optifine to implement *some* parts of it into the game but the devs didn't want to, and even so they only care about the profit and not other people who don't work for them lol. The newest versions after 1.8 or even 1.12.2 are bad so I don't see the purpose in updating every mod to 1.15 when it comes out.
12/17/2019 9:29 am
Level 37 : Artisan Engineer
Ijd
Yup even 1.12.2 modding is annoying when the modder is from mainly 1.6.4 and 1.7.10
11/26/2019 11:40 pm
Level 40 : Master Artist
God_Oh_War
i only make mods for 1.12.2
12/17/2019 9:28 am
Ijd
I only make mods for 1.12.2 1.7.10 and 1.6.4 also what i call the best versions of Minecraft
11/26/2019 10:02 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
ThursdayMorning
I believe the hostility to mod developers comes from the game's new owner. Consider the nature of Bedrock Edition and the disturbing Minecraft Marketplace. I believe that Microsoft wants to take control of Minecraft's creative community and bring it under their paywall.
12/17/2019 9:32 am
Ijd
Yup I have seen the downfall after the greedy stupid heads bought the game, people always think this cash grab is normal if they’ve never played java. I hate having to pay 30 dollars for a game and then it’s always trying to make me buy stuff in my opinion legacy console was much better, hell at least you could still play on those mash up packs even if u didn’t buy
12/18/2019 1:01 am
ThursdayMorning
Hot take: Minecraft is trying to become Roblox.
12/01/2019 7:00 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Unfortunately, this seems the most likely reason why mods are very much sidelined. It's a pity as the game's longevity is harmed by such an attitude, but Microsoft oversight operates on very different principles...
11/26/2019 11:02 am
Level 32 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
czaplicki
Well, if I recall correctly Mojang announced recently, that all upcoming releases will come the decryption key.
Making the updating of the core framework immensely faster. Yes 1.13 broke a lot of things, but it did also enable a lot of things, datapacks for inctance.

A good chunk of mods are actively being developed for 1.14, they are just not publicly released yet ( see the forgecraft sever).

So no, I would actually say the opposite, they have managed to create a hole new sub community,
and they are about to relieved a huge burden for the modding community without interfering with there work.
12/17/2019 9:34 am
Ijd
No I did a test and I heard 1.15 fixed the speed but actually 1.13 was slower and 1.14 would be incredibly slow on the same world , the fastest was 1.7.10 1.6.4 and 1.12.2 was decent
12/17/2019 5:42 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
czaplicki
I think you misunderstood me. The coming releases will come with public decryption keys.

So I'm not saying the game is faster, I'm saying that it will take way less time to update the core frameworks for modding,
aka things like forge-modloader. As you can see (by following the link) there is already a "latest release" for 1.15 and 1.15.1 .
11/26/2019 9:59 am
Ijd
Also I've been running a commandblock/redstone house since 2013 and 1.13 breaks every single command there, so i have to keep on 1.12.2
11/26/2019 9:54 am
Ijd
I hate 1.13 and 1.14 mod coding, and when i was coding for SCP Lockdown and I heard that they planned on moving the mod to 1.15 i died
11/26/2019 8:25 am
Level 42 : Master Zombie
EmpathyHeals
Interesting post. I voted. Your subject reminds me of these series of videos, two of which I watched before and one which I see is new, and I am going to watch it soon. Will you watch them and consider making a related post/poll if anything inspires you?

https://youtu.be/ha1rO0btVLU

https://youtu.be/mFf320v7Lrk

https://youtu.be/3qdIQ_ADDZs

Seems like you would find these videos worthwhile and I'm wondering what you think of them.

Emp
11/26/2019 8:12 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
knavereddy
All I want is Farlanders in 1.14
11/26/2019 6:32 amhistory
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
Bertiecrafter
Hold up, let's not flame Mojang here. I remember the 1.9-1.12 era where a ton of people were saying that Minecraft was dying and that all updates would be weak, not adding much. One of the reasons that Minecraft is able to have amazing updates, is because there's no public API that they have to stay compatible with all the time. It gives the developers so much more freedom.

If they would create a modding API, the modding community would go wild, updates would be restricted for compatibility reasons and Mojang would be blamed for the mistakes of modders. In general, with new features from either side, a new restriction appears on the other side. And if I had to choose between content from Mojang or from a couple random individuals (even if they established popularity), I would pick Mojang. They most often know what's best for the game.

Now Mojang does support development with commands in the shape of datapacks. The only major breaking update I've experienced was 1.13.

If you want more functionality, go for mods, if you want to go with compatibility / supported by Mojang, go with data packs.

So no, Mojang is not shooting themselves in the foot. They would be if they were creating worse updates than modders are. I rather want the compatibility problem to be at the modders end, so that the official development is not slowed down.
12/17/2019 9:37 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
12/17/2019 12:47 pmhistory
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
Bertiecrafter
A bit of an unfair opinion. You can't blame YouTube for being cautious after they've been flamed to rock bottom on their own platform. I looked into tektopia, it's first logged version on the wiki was 2 months AFTER the release of 1.14. Even though the mod is somehow released for 1.12, it really makes me question whether or not it's derived from Mojang source code.

It "only" has 2 more villagers, "only" like 15 structures instead of 500+ structures for multiple biomes and in multiple sizes. It took the mod creator half the amount of time between 1.13 and 1.14 to create way less than half of the features in 1.14.
So if you meant "containing more features" with "better" in your comment, then you are absolutely wrong.
I still do think tektopia is an impressive mod and the improved interaction and mechanics around villagers seem really fun. Besides, you can't expect a small developer team or individual to keep up with an entire company.

Your statement is only true if you mean "Tektopia took a direction that I prefer over the direction of minecraft" with "better", even though you're completely ignorant to everything else that 1.14 brought that tektopia doesn't have:

A ton of blocks (bamboo, bells, campfires, blast furnaces, smokers, scaffolding, composters, a ton of crafting blocks, a ton of slabs/walls/stairs)
An entire new world generation system used by villagers, using a structure block called "Puzzle Piece".
The feature of maintaining block state on dropped items. (For example, repeater delay could be saved on the item if map makers wanted to)
Crossbows + 3 enchantments
dyes and leather horse armor
Cats (instead of ocelots), Foxes, Pandas, Pillagers, Ravager, Wandering traders
Illager patrols and raids
- The entire new village(r) system we already talked about -
An enourmous update to loot tables
224 fixed bugs

So yeah, tl;dr: Tektopia is impressive and you might enjoy their updates more, but that's no reason to call the 1.14 update worse. I rather have 1.14 than Tektopia.
11/26/2019 9:57 pm
ThursdayMorning
A stable API naturally rises out of the abstractions one uses to build the game itself. The lack of a presently-available API, if one is planned, implies messy, fragile code.
11/26/2019 6:11 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
I get the feeling 1.12.2 is the new 1.7.10, 1.8 was ignored, 1.9 was pretty much ignored, 1.10 was more of a side hop, no one talks about 1.11, and 1.12 is when most modders moved over
11/26/2019 9:55 am
Ijd
Yup I agree 1.12.2 1.7.10 and 1.6.4 (yes i even still play that last one) were the best versions for modders
11/26/2019 9:27 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
i don't think modders will move on until 1.15 EoL or 1.16, keep in mind when I say that I don't mean no mods will be made or no mods will be updated for those versions I mean the main focus would be 1.12, or 1.15/1.16 but then with all the sizzles going down with forge and lex a lot of people don't like what's happening
12/17/2019 9:35 am
Ijd
1.14 and 1.13 were slow as hell it looked like they were trying to make the game like bedrock or something
11/26/2019 5:19 amhistory
Level 25 : Expert Pirate
elektropunch
I would have to say Mojang should be more considerate to the modding community, as a good chunk of reception for the early start of Minecraft came from that, modding. For quite a while Mojang openly supported modding the game. But I do agree with recent releases its become difficult. I don't create modifications, but I do use them and I also use programs such as map editors. Notable McEdit which is no longer viable. After 1.13, the game data changes made it impossible for the developers to extend the program past 1.12.

That is a problem. And its not the developers of the program fault. That is on Mojang. And you can see it happening with simple modifications too, where the game is changing constantly, and people are unable to transfer their content to a new version. So yes in a way Mojang is pushing away the modding community, a very integral part of Minecraft.

There are a couple things lately Mojang has been doing that has been irking me. Their little stunt with it being impossible to downgrade my 1.14 worlds to 1.12 to access McEdit for example. Truly, back up your world, and downgrade it to an earlier version. What happens? Your world is reset

That should not happen. Period.
11/26/2019 9:56 am
Ijd
I feel ya man, im a mod and map creator
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome