Are Survival Communities Still Popular?

Bluntiful's Avatar Bluntiful11/15/17 10:46 am
11/22/2017 11:24 am
Stubbs1's Avatar Stubbs1
Hi everyone,

I haven't played in a survival community in a while (like, a long time). I usually roleplay here on Minecraft and have owned several roleplaying communities. However, that time for me has come to an end. I would, though, still like to operate a community so I thought I'd return to Survival.

However, my question stands:
Are survival communities still popular?

I don't mean like, dead-locked survival. A community I'd like to start would involve Survival (Towny)? and Creative. I don't like Factions, it's annoying and quite overused. I was wondering if a community featuring those two game modes would interest anyone, or if it's still a popular game mode of choice.

I appreciate any opinions and help. I too am doing research on finding a good answer for my question. Anyways, thanks in advanced.

(I know that a server is only as good as its community, however I'm strictly wondering about these certain Minecraft game modes. Thanks).
Bluntiful
Level 3 : Apprentice Farmer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/22/2017 11:24 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
They're really easy to come by these days.
Usually you can find people who has realms with pure survival, or you can go directly out on PMC's Server forum and there will usually be 2 or 3 "Vanilla Survival 1.12.2 Server!" out there :D
11/22/2017 11:12 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
0ct0ber
Simple survival is almost non-existant on server lists, but another significant problem is that many servers add the tag "Survival" (and other tags that are dishonest to their features) when they encourage very little surviving, or it just happens to be a "survival" minigame (last man standing). I think if you can make a YouTube video and somehow get players to find your server when they actually search for "survival semi-vanilla server", you will succeed more- as I am sure there are players out there who want to play on a non-tacky server.
11/16/2017 10:04 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Farmer
Bluntiful
Thanks a lot for the insight, guys!
I don't plan on having a huge community, I really favor small communities to the point where everyone knows everyone. But thanks, really, you guys helped me a lot!
11/16/2017 9:33 am
Level 41 : Master System
Devi The Panda
They are still popular, yes. HOWEVER the majority of servers that you'll see that have more than 50+ people are going to be networked servers like flintcrafted. If you were to go onto a networked server with several hundred plugins, you'll notice that they have portals to different gamemodes such as Hardcore, Semi-survival, and vanilla survival, or even Creative mode.

Anyone anymore is more likely to join a server with plugins rather than a server that is pure vanilla, sad to say but true.
11/16/2017 8:57 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
ItsFadeIN
I believe advertisment is the key to any server
11/16/2017 9:34 amhistory
Level 41 : Master System
Devi The Panda
It's a key to any server, but you also can destroy your whole reputation to the point no one joins.
11/15/2017 10:57 amhistory
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Flintcrafted
Hi iFroot,

I also own a network (Flintcrafted) and we launched a survival/faction server a couple of months ago. I see on all servers (even the popular ones) that players don't join a survival and/or faction as they used to do due to new minigames and the amount of available java intergrations their are now (so more cool, unique plugins). I think that if you want to create a big community, attract some people with unique builds and plugins. Its only a shame its so expensive to let people make it but that will certainly do the trick.

-Ruben
11/15/2017 11:54 amhistory
Level 24 : Expert Prince
Govindas
I have went through making non-unique and unique servers all of them did not form a big community - so unique builds and plugins won't help here, what you need mostly is good advertising like paying for a popular youtuber to make video about your server with server's ip, no matter what content your server has it will attract no players if players won't know about the server, to let them know you need it to be very visible for them.

Once many players know your server you need to have stable online count of players because players attract players and if there are 0 players online almost no one will join.

^ This is what I learned through my over 5 years of experience with server creating. If you do not believe me, you should visit my server and you will see that it doesn't have many players even if it's full of unique and fun content.
11/15/2017 4:09 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Procrastinator
Thymph
Its the same with most things, If you want people to use it, you need to sell it
11/15/2017 1:33 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Flintcrafted
Yes, thats totally true, im only focussing on development right now since its a really big project but yes, you will need some sort of advertisment.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome