Diving Helmets?

1 emerald 9 replies 646 views | started 07/06/2011 12:33 pm by fadohacolu
I was playing Minecraft the other day (duh) and I was struck by sudden inspiration as I was sneaking up behind my friend underwater. What if diving helmets were items in the game that you could craft? Initially, it sounds kind of pointless, but hear me out.

The recipe would be simple, requiring 8 bars of iron and 1 glass, it could look something like this:

xxx
xox
xxx

Or, you could add redstone for more realism, or perhaps even glowstone as a way of lighting so you could see underwater.

Now, what would happen when you add the diving helm is a whole realm that already exists in Minecraft (the ocean) would be opened up for exploration and building. As of right now, there isn't much point in doing anything underwater, but if you could make diving helms that would either extend your breath or give you infinite breath then people could build whole underwater cities. There could also be new blocks to be found, such as coral, seaweed or perhaps something like granite Yes, construction would be slower but it makes sense that way anyways.

After all, Notch is working on flying transportation as well as a sky realm, so why not open up the ocean realm to players by making a single object? Thoughts anybody?
Posted by avatar
fadohacolu
Level 39 : Artisan Architect

9 replies

07/08/2011 1:05 pm
Level 26 Expert Miner
Excision
I disagree, it should be iron INGOTS instead of blocks, since 1Iron block = 9Ingots, which is a lot!
07/08/2011 12:52 pm
Level 13 Journeyman Architect
Colmanater
Greatest Idea EVER
07/08/2011 12:52 pm
Level 2 Apprentice Explorer
alexn26
And it would be cool if Notch could add some like, seaweed, or coral blocks so you could make a underwater thing
07/08/2011 12:50 pm
Level 2 Apprentice Explorer
alexn26
This Looks awesome! i wish notch would add them though, and fadohacolu, couldnt the iron blocks be iron ingots, or even gold ingots, coz 7 iron bloxks looks to hard to get
07/08/2011 12:48 pm
Level 18 Journeyman Engineer
jedilord08
this sounds awesome cant wait to start building underwater cities!!!
07/07/2011 12:22 pm
Level 39 Artisan Architect
fadohacolu
Glad you guys think it would be a good idea! I know there is a mod or two out, but from what I've seen I'm not entirely fond of them. Plus, I'm fairly confident that this would just be a good vanilla addition, because a lot of people don't mess with mods.

*EDIT*

Here are some pictures of what the actual crafting recipes would/could look like.

Basic diving helmet:

Diving Helmet with lights:

Two 'realistic' versions. (Redstone for power, Slimeball for seal.)

and
07/07/2011 12:11 am
Level 14 Journeyman Pony
BawbTehOldDude
Sounds cool, Notch should add it. It would be cool to make a coral house underwater...
07/06/2011 12:37 pm
Level 29 Expert Architect
Roran234
This sounds like a fantastic idea! It would open up so many more possibilities! I, for one, would love to have this added!
07/06/2011 12:35 pm
Level 52 Grandmaster Narwhal
mommaCarole
I know there is a diving helmet mod you can get for just that purpose, to play underwater. It goes along with some other underwater seascape mods that make more of the watery part of the world.

I think it's an awesome idea, and I do believe that Notch said he'd be adding more underwater content.

Search

Browse

Site

© planetminecraft.com

Welcome