Am I doing something wrong...?

Eternal_Arrow's Avatar Eternal_Arrow1/28/14 5:03 pm
1/29/2014 7:50 pm
SilverKytten's Avatar SilverKytten
I have joined a very new server since it came out, one of the first to join it and I have applied for staff on their website and reminded them one time- The server is about 2 1/2 weeks old now since it has been released on PMC. I have the most hours logged on the server but haven't donated yet... (Planning on it soon as possible) but I have not gotten staff yet whenever 3 other people who joined 1 week later than I did got it (They donated). My question is simple, am I doing something wrong not to get it or are Server Owners biased toward the donaters of their server? -I try to help out everyone on the server also, I'm not really a man of few words, I share my opinion when asked or if somebody is curious, currently on the server I am the richest player and yet nothing. The owner is barely on if that counts for anything, the Co-Owner is the main staff person to be on... Is their anything I am doing wrong? I just need some reassurance.

Eternal_Arrow
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/29/2014 7:50 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
bmanrulesOn a vanilla Minecraft server yes, but in general in networking (and bukkit servers) there's operator and admin, then owner. On the server I play on, We have operators, Which work on the server they're op on, Clan Members, who are "opped" on every server our clan owns and have slightly more power than ops, and admins, who have access to the remote desktop, website and teamspeak servers, along with op on all servers and the ability to rule over all other ranks.

So basically all of the staff members are opped, some just get a different title? That's still just op, and my point still stands ...
01/29/2014 7:12 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1478795
[deleted]
01/29/2014 5:41 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Dragon
Platydroid
Now, this may mean nothing to you, or the server in question, but one good way to get staff on a start-up server is to apply as a builder or to provide custom plugins for the server. If they are in need for either of these (which is very likely if it is a new server), then applying as staff for a position like those two is a much easier way to get recognized.

However, based on my experience with servers I have been on, it is typically the person who pays who gets the perks. This is mainly because somebody needs to help pay for the server, and those who do get rewarded by the owner. However, it has not been common for me to see a donor as an automatic staff member. It may just be that your application was not as well thought out as the others were.

And as a final thought, being a server staff is fun, but not anything you should freak out about. Unless all those hours you have clocked are to try and get yourself the staff position, just enjoy the server as much as you can.
01/29/2014 4:45 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
SilverKytten
bmanrulesI'd generally consider anyone who is op or higher staff, nothing below that. If a server gives someone creative like that of course it's a bad server, but giving well chosen operators/staff it is a good server

You have no idea what op is, do you? Op is the highest you can possibly be -- Op gives you access to every single command there is.

On a vanilla Minecraft server yes, but in general in networking (and bukkit servers) there's operator and admin, then owner. On the server I play on, We have operators, Which work on the server they're op on, Clan Members, who are "opped" on every server our clan owns and have slightly more power than ops, and admins, who have access to the remote desktop, website and teamspeak servers, along with op on all servers and the ability to rule over all other ranks.
01/29/2014 4:39 pm
SilverKytten
bmanrulesI'd generally consider anyone who is op or higher staff, nothing below that. If a server gives someone creative like that of course it's a bad server, but giving well chosen operators/staff it is a good server

You have no idea what op is, do you? Op is the highest you can possibly be -- Op gives you access to every single command there is.
01/29/2014 2:20 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
gfsgdfgsdfgsdfgsfdgs
dfdsfyaudsfaudisfnyiuadnyfiouasf
01/29/2014 2:15 pm
bmanrules
SilverKytten
bmanrulesMost good servers do give their staff servers. It's a sign of trust. In the server I play on, it took me 3 years to become an op, and another 2 on top of that to become a clan member. We have over 200 players and all staff have creative.

No, actually. Very few good servers do. And even fewer op anyone. If you've found a good server that does, awesome .. But getting op in three years is way different than giving someone who's been on your server for only a couple of weeks creative mode in a survival environment.

I'd generally consider anyone who is op or higher staff, nothing below that. If a server gives someone creative like that of course it's a bad server, but giving well chosen operators/staff it is a good server
01/29/2014 1:59 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Either your application was pretty lack-luster-- which I can believe, seeing as how you didn't use the preview button before posting-- or you're joining terrible servers whose staff have their priorities pretty jacked up.

It seems to be a commonplace issue that donors are treated much differently than normal players which is fine if we're talking about having some donor perks for supporting the server, but not if that means automatically favoring them above other staff candidates. It's also possible these people just had better staff applications than you and got the position.

*In my experience, I've never had this issue. The servers I've played on regularly all had a pretty developed decision-making process while choosing staff and never chose donors just because they donated.

Either way, you tried. Either be happy not being on staff and play on your favorite server like you always have or find another server. Self-pity and making excuses don't help.
01/29/2014 1:51 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
Money has everything to do with it.
I once was on a server for several months. I never really asked to be promoted (partially because it was against the rules), but after a while I had started hinting it to the owner, saying things like "I've been on this server a while and haven't been promoted." One day, I met a new player and let him into my city. He had just joined that day, and within about a week was an admin. This really pissed me off so I went to the owner and was "WTF man! You promote him!" And the owner promptly said, "He donated."
01/29/2014 1:09 pm
SilverKytten
bmanrulesMost good servers do give their staff servers. It's a sign of trust. In the server I play on, it took me 3 years to become an op, and another 2 on top of that to become a clan member. We have over 200 players and all staff have creative.

No, actually. Very few good servers do. And even fewer op anyone. If you've found a good server that does, awesome .. But getting op in three years is way different than giving someone who's been on your server for only a couple of weeks creative mode in a survival environment.
01/29/2014 12:50 pm
bmanrules
SilverKytten
_xCreeperZx_I am a server Owner, and I can say that Yes, we do prefer to treat the donators better than normal players. The reason is simple, No Donors = No Server.
99% of server run purely on donations from the donors, so of course Owners are going to favor and pamper donors.

That doesn't make it right. You should treat everyone equally. Putting donators above everyone else causes corruption, especially if you put them in a staff position.

dog51848Most server owners will not trust somebody with staff until they've been on for a long time most likely months. Plus if you do get staff it will ruin the server for you. You'll be given creative and after a few weeks you'll get bored and leave.

Not all servers let their staff have creative. Actually, very few GOOD servers do.

Most good servers do give their staff servers. It's a sign of trust. In the server I play on, it took me 3 years to become an op, and another 2 on top of that to become a clan member. We have over 200 players and all staff have creative.
01/29/2014 12:43 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
GreenTitanLP
KytyrahCan we place a bit less emphasis on the donator perks and seeming disproportion of recognition for money donation on this server, and perhaps stop to think about the basic issue here? Firstly, being a member of a server for any great or lesser amount of time doesn't entitle any single person to any single benefit-least of all staff.

Being a citizen of Melbourne for 23 years has not entitled me to take Abbot's place as Prime Minister. Why should your presence for *Gasp* two weeks on any server entitle you to a position of responsibility and importance? This is what member ranks are for, to give instant gratification and fancy shinies to those willing to toss money out for them. This is not what staff ranks are for.

Regardless of the server's seeming favouritism towards donators, you need to perhaps reconsider your sense of entitlement here. You should not receive a staff rank with an attitude like that. Staff rank belongs to the trusted and truly-dedicated mature members of any establishment-be it site or server.

This isn't a cute little badge for you to pin on your lapel, it's a legitimate step into responsibility towards your Administrators, your peers, and the members who depend on your to keep the site running smoothly. I repeat, it's not a shiny badge to show off with. Staff powers don't exist for you to show off or feel self important. It means work and being reliable and being responsible.

If you asked me for staff on my server with that attitude and the insignificant amount of time you've been a member, I'd laugh you all the way to Saskatoon.

Not because I'm trying to be mean (Although I am a naturally-Narcissistic person), but because that is the most ridiculous demand I've heard of in a long time. Besides, casually asking to be staff generally means you aren't ready to be.

+1

This post 100% answered this thread.
01/29/2014 11:03 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
Kytyrah
Can we place a bit less emphasis on the donator perks and seeming disproportion of recognition for money donation on this server, and perhaps stop to think about the basic issue here? Firstly, being a member of a server for any great or lesser amount of time doesn't entitle any single person to any single benefit-least of all staff.

Being a citizen of Melbourne for 23 years has not entitled me to take Abbot's place as Prime Minister. Why should your presence for *Gasp* two weeks on any server entitle you to a position of responsibility and importance? This is what member ranks are for, to give instant gratification and fancy shinies to those willing to toss money out for them. This is not what staff ranks are for.

Regardless of the server's seeming favouritism towards donators, you need to perhaps reconsider your sense of entitlement here. You should not receive a staff rank with an attitude like that. Staff rank belongs to the trusted and truly-dedicated mature members of any establishment-be it site or server.

This isn't a cute little badge for you to pin on your lapel, it's a legitimate step into responsibility towards your Administrators, your peers, and the members who depend on you to keep the server running smoothly. I repeat, it's not a shiny badge to show off with. Staff powers don't exist for you to show off or feel self important. It means work and being reliable and being responsible.

If you asked me for staff on my server with that attitude and the insignificant amount of time you've been a member, I'd laugh you all the way to Saskatoon.

Not because I'm trying to be mean (Although I am a naturally-Narcissistic person), but because that is the most ridiculous demand I've heard of in a long time. Besides, casually asking to be staff generally means you aren't ready to be.

*Edit- For grammar. I can't handle it when I use the wrong word.
01/29/2014 10:51 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
GreenTitanLP
From what I read, this seems like a pretty poorly run server. I've been in the same position on servers, and thought things were unfair. This was the actual reason I started my own server, because I knew I could do better than the children out there with drop party's and empty worlds.
01/29/2014 9:41 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
Most server owners will not trust somebody with staff until they've been on for a long time most likely months. Plus if you do get staff it will ruin the server for you. You'll be given creative and after a few weeks you'll get bored and leave.
01/29/2014 7:32 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
_xCreeperZx_
I am a server Owner, and I can say that Yes, we do prefer to treat the donators better than normal players. The reason is simple, No Donors = No Server.
99% of server run purely on donations from the donors, so of course Owners are going to favor and pamper donors.
01/29/2014 10:46 am
SilverKytten
That doesn't make it right. You should treat everyone equally. Putting donators above everyone else causes corruption, especially if you put them in a staff position.

dog51848Most server owners will not trust somebody with staff until they've been on for a long time most likely months. Plus if you do get staff it will ruin the server for you. You'll be given creative and after a few weeks you'll get bored and leave.

Not all servers let their staff have creative. Actually, very few GOOD servers do.
01/29/2014 9:29 am
Level 23 : Expert Artist
SnowyKaida
Not all owners are like that though, Like I've been invited to be a staff member on a server of a friend, A lot of the staff members on servers are great friends with the owners Because the owners would rather want to have people who they can trust or People they know won't betray/break rules behind their back. It all depends on the trust of the owner on you. If they don't trust you, You Aren't going to get op on it not even close. In this case they probably don't trust you, or The owner never sees you doing these things, Therefore never giving you a chance at it. And being staff on a server you love may make you not like it as much, Speaking from experience, I was staff on a server after a little bit and it went into complete utter drama and fights all the time. Sometimes you don't see it as a nonop but the ops will experience it.
01/29/2014 7:23 am
SilverKytten
Eternal_Arroware Server Owners biased toward the donaters of their server?

Generally, yes. The owner of the server I use to play on was so biased, he would unban people, no matter what they did, just because they had donated. (And later on would start unbanning people because they complained about being banned on the forums -- He went a little wacko) But there could also be multiple other reasons for them getting staff and you not getting it.
01/29/2014 7:09 am
Level 29 : Expert Pirate
mishrathium
The worst thing in the world to do is to pester staff or bump posts on forums. We have had tons of amazing staff over the last 2+ years and all of them were asked to join.

Players that consistently show positivity make great staff. Players who "say" they will do great things, pretty much - suck.

Be the person who displays it
01/29/2014 4:59 am
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Maddie
If you enjoy being on the server, why are you worrying about being a staff member? You should be on that server to have fun, and if you get a staff rank or are offered one, then you should accept it with open arms (at least that's what it sounds like you want to do).

Be patient and just play on the server to have fun. Stop stressing about the position and it will most likely come to you in good time, and if it doesn't, it shouldn't really be a problem at all anyways.
01/28/2014 5:31 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Eternal_Arrow
I am having fun on it, just I feel secluded, and I know you don't get it by not playing the longest/richest/giving opinions, I just felt that should go in the post. You get it by doing the little things such as helping players, building or giving ideas to help improve and expand the server, and also solving the little issues on the server without CMDS. Don't get me wrong, I love the server, the Co-Owner just has a problem with me and I'm not quite sure why.
01/28/2014 5:13 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
deadacct
It seems that donors always get special perks including staff ranks, which if you ask me is pointless as you should choose your staff by who you trust, not by money.

If all you're on that server for is the staff rank you should probably leave; you're supposed to have fun on a server and you don't need a fancy rank to do it.
01/28/2014 5:10 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
You don't just get staff by being on the longest, being the richest, and having the most opinions...

If that were true, we'd have no more players... Just mods and admins galore
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome