I had this idea for a while. And it's horrible.

Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox2/28/14 11:01 pm
1 emeralds 4.9k 134
3/12/2014 8:33 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
I want to create an educational institute in the form of a Minecraft server.

That's right, kiddos, the thing you hate most in life is now coming to Minecraft!

What would be taught?
I plan to have a variety of classes. We would definitely have Minecraft-related classes, with tutorials about farming, from the basics to efficient mass production, to large-build classes where you learn about standard reliable designs for walls, towers, houses, etc..

If somehow implemented, server-specific classes might be around, with perhaps teachers from a Factions PvP teacher borrowing a classroom to teach their guild members on how to invade and fend off raiders, while I could teach my server players the basics of playing on spheres.

Then you'd also have aid for offline matters. Need help in math? Want to learn Japanese? Come over and get homework help or a nice self-study lesson while you get bored to death in school from the absence of work to do over the weekend.

WHY?
I'm one of the rare people that kinda like education. I'd love to see a Minecraft institute where you come back from school, take out your math homework and talk with your fellow raiders on how to do this god damn Factoring Binomials question.

If you don't have much work from school or want to spend 10 minutes everyday learning a language of choice (Standard Chinese, Japanese, Bahasa Malaysia, Arabic, Spanish, etc.), you could come over and get yourself enrolled in an unusual course or just barge in a class whenever you like.

Want something more fun? Of course! If you're tired from the learning, come over and teach yourself Chess and 将棋(Shogi). But board games are for nerds! In that case, come over and join the FPS squad, devise some tactics and notes and rush into Team Fortress 2 for some rear-end-kicking.

Learning doesn't have to be boring. At most, the subjects they teach in your local school are boring. But there are many things one can learn that are not boring:
- aiming properly in Counter Strike 1.6
- learning K-Style katana fighting for Gunz
- studying the history of Melaka/Malacca (something you won't get taught in school unless you're in Malaysia)
- learning how to hit on girls
- learning how to make a proper blog post
- learning txtese
- learning how to host a Minecraft server
- learning about the latest アニメ (Anime)
- learning how to use Vocaloid 3
- learning how to clean your computer and keep it from becoming a junk pile
- learning how to play Dota 2
- learning how to identify the main points of a piece of literature and skip all the stupid TL;DR

This won't take off.
Are you sure? I'm not sure. That's why I'm making this topic to find out; seeing Minecraft servers rise as club-like hubs and online community centres would be nice. Everything can still be related to Minecraft; you can discuss server matters, talk about Minecraft concepts, gossip about Minecraft news, go outside to the field and make a quick competition on who can build the best radio tower. It's your choice, though; nobody's stopping you from asking for advice on how to fix the relationship between you and your crush that you just pissed off bad.

TL;DR again, Snowy.
I know. Summary? What do you think of Minecraft servers intended as social hubs where you learn from teachers, talk or discuss, and test out ideas against fellow Minecraft players.
Snowyfox
Level 26 : Expert Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/28/2014 11:04 pm
Snowyfox
I know that at the third third of my post, I went off topic and suddenly switched my idea to "diverse community hub where you can do anything in a beautiful enclosed area" instead of the dreaded "educational institution". In this case, I would argue that we could make either, or both could be THE same thing. So I'm asking you guys' opinion on either of this, but the general idea is somewhere you can learn, be it gaming strategies, gossip or training your origami skills.
02/28/2014 11:05 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
I like this idea.
Too many kool kids might come, though. They will come with their hair slicked back, listening to their Satan rock-n-roll.
03/03/2014 4:06 am
Level 21 : Expert Nerd
MysteryOwner
Well this is just the best comment so far.
02/28/2014 11:06 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
Butterblender
Seems like a cool idea. But it would be filled with

Teacher: This is gold, it is ver-
Some stupid 8-year old: OMG U MEAN BUDDER YOU STUPID NOOB YOU ARE SORMDB
02/28/2014 11:14 pm
Level 27 : Expert Pokemon
PoshTick
Simple solution, we won't hold our "Teachers" to the same disciplinary restrictions that most regular teachers obey today. Oh my, think of all the fun that would be.
03/01/2014 5:52 am
Level 28 : Expert Taco
Phoenix_13
Agreed, the teachers should be able to kick and temp-ban players while the Head Teacher could perm ban.
There can also be a Prefectorial board who can kick or mute players.
03/01/2014 1:52 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
Butterblender
Like expel and suspension
03/03/2014 9:57 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Mage
NewblyLance13
That's when you break out Mr. /ban
02/28/2014 11:07 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Architect
Spikehunter3
Bro THIS IS WHAT I AM ABOUT! I made a maths game (thanks SethBling for the idea) but lengthy build time. I would love to help.
02/28/2014 11:10 pm
Level 20 : Expert Network
mymarioman2
I love it i'd join it, maybe even sponsor it!
02/28/2014 11:12 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Henry_Jekyll
So like, a huge educational hub for practically anything? I'm in. Might be kind of hard to manage though.

Maybe you would need to apply or something before you get in? So you don't have a ton of immature people?
02/28/2014 11:14 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
meak dis pl0x
03/01/2014 4:56 am
Level 42 : Master Zombie
EmpathyHeals
I think you have a good concept but the scope is broad and it might be hard to implement. What I am looking for is, along the same lines, to find out if there is a line of educational plugins for MC or just some good educational plugins out there that are standalone and maybe customizable by mods. Maybe one that integrates with dictionary.com where you get a reward each day if you /learn word or if you pick out a right definition. Maybe some games that require you to solve problems before doing stuff like do multiplication problem every time you pick a mushroom, I don't know. I'm interested in finding out more about educational games too so if you know of any please share them. I wish you luck though and I totally see value in your concept; a lot of kids come home from school and get on MC and it can be an atmosphere in which they can learn.
03/01/2014 5:50 am
Level 28 : Expert Taco
Phoenix_13
This is a nice idea and if set up properly, could take off.
I would love to help with this or maybe even sponsor a server.
I would also highly suggest an application process for students and, of course, teachers.
03/01/2014 6:01 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
CuteBlock
This is what ive tried to do. (I have a server)
But later on i found out it was harder to do than it sounds .
But if you're going to do it, then good luck
03/01/2014 6:18 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
DJFoxxy
I think this is a great idea. It would be good if the MC Education launcher would be compatible with it as well.
03/01/2014 6:23 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Demolitionist
KawaiiMiku
as soon as I saw VOCALOID3, i was like
COOL IDEA.
(i've actually got one of the vocaloid3's, miku english)
vocaloid and the similar program are hard though, the latter being the hardest.
03/01/2014 6:31 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
Alphapanda013
PvP Teacher right here bb!
03/01/2014 6:33 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
oOMusicMasterOo
this actually sounds like a really good idea, for people who struggle on minecraft and in real life.

If i got a teacher role, plz could i be the rp expert?? im actually a actor who plays in extra roles and i love minecraft aswell, so i could teach the art of drama

this will be ORESOME!!
03/01/2014 6:49 am
Level 45 : Master Sheep
ToadDan
I could be the assistant. I took drama in school and still am.
03/01/2014 6:37 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
davidlovesmc81
I 100% LOVE this idea! Is there a class that you can learn Welsh? Because I know a bit of it right now but I want to be a expert (I'm english). Brilliant idea again!
03/01/2014 6:43 am
Level 21 : Expert Modder
Creeper_Modder
You need a mumble plugin so you can really talk ! like the one mindcrack is using in UHC right now
03/01/2014 6:48 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
oOMusicMasterOo
Hi, i think this idea isnt horrible its actually very good
with the education rate going down, education on minecraft is a amazing opportunity to catch up on topics.
If i got the role of a teacher i could fit in the slots below:
RP (im a actual actor)
English (i write stories)
Music (im getting my GCSE in music)

Them three are my best slots, however i could try:
Geography/History
Science

Im also good at them aswell.

Im not strict but i can shout when i have too
Im very trustworthy

Please accept me onto the teachers role, it would be so good!!
03/01/2014 6:52 am
Level 21 : Expert Modder
Creeper_Modder
Instead of sports there could be mc minigames like hunger games
03/01/2014 7:10 am
Level 31 : Artisan Architect
AlsoKnownAsCreepy
When teachers etc ban people the message could be

"You've been expelled from school!"

I'd love to join this server, sounds like an awesome idea. If you need help building the teaching places, I'd love to help
03/01/2014 7:12 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect
bens1226
This is a GREAT idea, would be great, if you need any building done (tutorials, spawns, thing like that) I would be more than happy to help!
03/01/2014 7:16 am
AlsoKnownAsCreepy
Ideas over different classes:

Languages:
Learn different languages! The teacher can switch so German people can learn us German, Norwegian can learn away Norwegian etc.

Sports:
Like another fellow said, we could have MC Minigames here or maybe get help from profesional map builders/redstoners to make this.

Religion:

Learn different religions if you're interested in that!

Math:

Need help with Math IRL? Get help here!

Extra-Help:

Get help with homework IRL! Get ready for tests etc as well!

(By tests I mean, maybe we could make some sort of a quiz about the theme, then they answer, then we give them like A,B,C,D,E,F :p)

Science:

Like science, nature and stuff? Join here!

Music:

Learn how to make melodies on noteblocks etc! Also get help IRL with music :3

Community Science:

Might be a bit boring, but meh.

History:

Like history etc?

Building:

Get inspiration and tips for building!

Terraforming:

Get help with learning the different terraforming commands!

Server hosting/help:

Get help with hosintg/owning a server by profesionals!

Just sum ideas :3

- Creepy
03/01/2014 9:45 am
davidlovesmc81
I'm a proffesional Builder/Redstone guy, I could help out if your idea gets chosen!
03/01/2014 7:19 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
bigpurplebubblezmc
YES I LOVE THIS IDEA!!
03/01/2014 7:31 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Archer
levi8george
SnowyfoxI want to create an educational institute in the form of a Minecraft server.

That's right, kiddos, the thing you hate most in life is now coming to Minecraft!

What would be taught?
I plan to have a variety of classes. We would definitely have Minecraft-related classes, with tutorials about farming, from the basics to efficient mass production, to large-build classes where you learn about standard reliable designs for walls, towers, houses, etc..

If somehow implemented, server-specific classes might be around, with perhaps teachers from a Factions PvP teacher borrowing a classroom to teach their guild members on how to invade and fend off raiders, while I could teach my server players the basics of playing on spheres.

Then you'd also have aid for offline matters. Need help in math? Want to learn Japanese? Come over and get homework help or a nice self-study lesson while you get bored to death in school from the absence of work to do over the weekend.

WHY?
I'm one of the rare people that kinda like education. I'd love to see a Minecraft institute where you come back from school, take out your math homework and talk with your fellow raiders on how to do this god @#!*% Factoring Binomials question.

If you don't have much work from school or want to spend 10 minutes everyday learning a language of choice (Standard Chinese, Japanese, Bahasa Malaysia, Arabic, Spanish, etc.), you could come over and get yourself enrolled in an unusual course or just barge in a class whenever you like.

Want something more fun? Of course! If you're tired from the learning, come over and teach yourself Chess and 将棋(Shogi). But board games are for nerds! In that case, come over and join the FPS squad, devise some tactics and notes and rush into Team Fortress 2 for some rear-end-kicking.

Learning doesn't have to be boring. At most, the subjects they teach in your local school are boring. But there are many things one can learn that are not boring:
- aiming properly in Counter Strike 1.6
- learning K-Style katana fighting for Gunz
- studying the history of Melaka/Malacca (something you won't get taught in school unless you're in Malaysia)
- learning how to hit on girls
- learning how to make a proper blog post
- learning txtese
- learning how to host a Minecraft server
- learning about the latest アニメ (Anime)
- learning how to use Vocaloid 3
- learning how to clean your computer and keep it from becoming a junk pile
- learning how to play Dota 2
- learning how to identify the main points of a piece of literature and skip all the stupid TL;DR

This won't take off.
Are you sure? I'm not sure. That's why I'm making this topic to find out; seeing Minecraft servers rise as club-like hubs and online community centres would be nice. Everything can still be related to Minecraft; you can discuss server matters, talk about Minecraft concepts, gossip about Minecraft news, go outside to the field and make a quick competition on who can build the best radio tower. It's your choice, though; nobody's stopping you from asking for advice on how to fix the relationship between you and your crush that you just @#!*% off bad.

TL;DR again, Snowy.
I know. Summary? What do you think of Minecraft servers intended as social hubs where you learn from teachers, talk or discuss, and test out ideas against fellow Minecraft players.

This is a wonderful idea! So many kids, teens, and even adults hate to learn things but you are bringing it in a way that people will love. Through Minecraft you will be helping many people and thats what I like. Best wishes ~Levi
03/01/2014 7:37 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Nina Gillespie
How to hit on boys pls.
03/01/2014 10:05 am
Level 25 : Expert Toast
Shadow_Anndroid
Wut
03/01/2014 7:43 am
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
Um. OK.
I'll admit, this does sound like a decent idea to implement but...
I think logistically, it's nigh on impossible.
03/01/2014 9:55 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
Hmm could be fun
03/01/2014 10:00 am
Level 25 : Expert Narwhal
ak47sniperaxe
Hm, this seems like something too small to be it's own server, rather to be intergrated into servers to show off their plugins. If you could get a noob-teacher server well publicised, it would be a success.
03/01/2014 10:06 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Ranger
origamime
A school idea? Thats freaking perfect (NOT being sarcastic).

I really need some help with pvp.... mostly just need a mouse...
03/01/2014 10:06 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Ranger
origamime
Also docter who class :3

Im great at that stuff.
03/01/2014 10:07 am
davidlovesmc81
I think we can all agree best idea EVAH, Right?
03/01/2014 10:08 am
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
cakeface
I kind of like education as well.
I like learning new words to implement (That's a nice word!) into my blogs.
This server would be a fabtastic (That's a made-up word!) place to learn fun things.
03/01/2014 10:57 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
03/01/2014 12:02 pm
davidlovesmc81
Well it might be like, You earn merits or stars or something then when you get like 25 you get a special treat! like maybe 2 hours of no school, Just at home (minecraft home).
03/01/2014 1:50 pm
Snowyfox
Thanks, guys! I have bad news, though.

This was just an idea I was posting. I'd love to make a small-scale version of this, and see this idea take off too (I kinda think it's an awesome idea too) but I have 0% capability in actually making something like this.

So, yes, nigh on impossible for me.

Nobody said you guys couldn't do it, though. Since everybody already has ideas flowing in their minds...how about somebody volunteer to be a host and we go create this thing? It's gonna end up like Hogwarts, lol.

Also different kinds of subjects would have different kinds of requirements. All language classes that don't use the Latin alphabet will force everyone in class to only learn by chat or by something external like TeamSpeak, as you can't use foreign language typesets in stuff like signboards. They work for command blocks, though.

But since we are the teachers and students ourselves, we can break a lot of annoying rules IRL, like PoshTick said. For example, you could give every enrolled student a chunk of land, and the TNT cannon class would...xD.
03/01/2014 4:47 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Henry_Jekyll
I wish I could host, but I can't. I do seriously hope someone does make this though.
03/01/2014 6:20 pm
AlsoKnownAsCreepy
Hm, maybe I could give it a try. Can't afford hosting for 1m peeps, but maybe we could make a plan etc??
03/01/2014 6:22 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
punchtree1000
I would be happy to host this server for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I could also get someone to make plugins and replace /kick with /suspend or /ban with /expell

And I can teach a class about pixelmon
03/01/2014 6:25 pm
AlsoKnownAsCreepy
Yay!
03/01/2014 6:25 pm
punchtree1000
If you need I have a server right now that i can re purpose from nothing to that
03/01/2014 6:27 pm
punchtree1000
if you need it just join it 70.177.105.61:25555
03/01/2014 6:33 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragon
Austin_Craft_
Server's not up.
03/01/2014 6:30 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragon
Austin_Craft_
Well, I'd love to help build this and would even donate. If I had cash. *sobs*

Nonetheless, I'd teach Basic Programming 101 and RPG Maker VX Ace Tutorials.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome