Minecraft bedrock edition and slopes poll

AGTRigorMortis's Avatar AGTRigorMortis3/1/18 7:03 am
3/5/2018 4:20 am
AGTRigorMortis's Avatar AGTRigorMortis
Who wants slopes to become craftable in vanilla Minecraft? I know what some people are thinking
"it doesn't fit Minecraft"

I respect the fact some wish to only use blocks

But I have to disagree with those who want Minecraft to ban the use of slopes even as a craftable, because it restricts creativity for those who wish to use them, and I don't believe this should be a mods only kind of thing. This isn't the right approach to things, because basically what you're saying is people shouldn't be allowed freedom to do what they want.

this is a sandbox game and so should at least have the option to craft ramps or slides in my opinion.
Having these things in mods only isn't good enough, because for one thing mods disable achievements.

To me, part of what makes Minecraft fun or interesting, is the fact you can build houses from a variety of materials and designs, but I would like Mojang to go the distance and allow slopes in vanilla Minecraft in the future, as this would allow for much more detailed builds in game.

I think it's stupid to restrict a game to only blocks purely out of the nostalgia factor, or because of silly notions about what you think "fits a game"

and the double standard of this game is slopes are apparently not yet allowed, yet rails act as a slope for mine carts and so are technically the only slope block within the game. This is hypocritical of Mojang I think, either slopes are allowed or they're not.

Anyway what's your take on this? yay or nay? :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHUCM7xjjCM&t=2s
AGTRigorMortis
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/02/2018 2:54 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Crafter
_ccc_inactive
All surfaces you can walk on in Minecraft are flat and facing up. A change that allows for moving along a surface that slowly raises your Y coordinate is a fundamental change. It may require rewriting a ton of things and changing the way the game plays.

The studio has to hold themselves to a higher standard than the modders, so they would cover all bases and that's a big project. They have a rolling-release type thing going on, so there may not be enough time.
03/05/2018 4:20 am
AGTRigorMortis
This doesn't mean it is impossible for them to introduce it though, it can work just as it does with the mine cart rails already, but there needs to be a purpose for them and I've already thought of one.

How about if you made a slope of ice or slime, it could be used make mobs slip into a trap of some kind? like a pit? in a swamp or snow biome it would be useful. If I recall right you can pick up ice blocks using a silk touch pickaxe, not that complicated. If people don't like slopes, you don't have to use them, I'm not advocating such a change forced on people. But I'd rather not have to use mods just to do this. :)
03/01/2018 10:05 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I would love to see slopes too, but I have to say: Keep it for mods only. And why?

1 reason:
If Mojang decided to add slopes, not only would there be tons of complaints about it "Not being Minecraft" and people would begin to demand: We want round stuff, we want triangles, we want more shapes.
Minecraft is defined by a Square, changeing that for something that's not a square ruins the game. Not to mention that having no slopes in Minecraft means that you Have to be creative to find another solution.

The easy way out would just be installing a mod to create a slide, but considering you have redstone, command-blocks, ice blocks, creating a slide that works like if it was a slope dosen't seem that un-realistic. You just gotta put more effort in to what you actually want to create instead of just taking the easy way.
03/01/2018 10:32 am
AGTRigorMortis
I think it's an exaggeration to say slopes being craftable would "ruin the game".
because you would still have the option not to use them.

and as I said mods disable achievements, so having them mods only isn't good enough.
also mods tend to come from websites people may not trust or be familiar with and that's risky.

I'm for changes that make things convenient and most importantly safe for the end user. Restricting all the cool stuff to mods doesn't make any sense, not with the technology we have today.

Calling it "the easy way" is actually a cop out for not being willing to improve the game for other users. If you truly want to improve a game, you have to raise the bar and be willing to ask the developers for what you want implemented.
03/01/2018 2:03 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
But again: Adding slopes - Sure that 1 thing might not ruin the game, but you also have to think about it in the long run - If slopes are added, then people will want circles, triangles, costume shapes, wheels, a-symetrical spheres, hexagons. People will begin to ask for the pigs to become round and realistic, cows to have spikey horns, the enderman becoming a round slender figure.

It would start a chain reaction in which the game would slowly go from: Blocky Minecraft where everyone can join to: A weird combination of badly rendered shapes and sizes that people wouldn't be interested in having.

You also have to remember: What makes Minecraft, Minecraft? Blocks. Simple as that, and you can support change, but that change will ruin the game in the long run.
03/01/2018 6:02 pm
AGTRigorMortis
It's called "Minecraft"
NOT "Blockcraft"

You people act like it's a staple for Minecraft to only have blocks, ignoring the fact that the existence of sloped rails would violate that very principle if that were true. Sorry but I have to disagree with you on that one, as Chandler said there's no reason why slopes shouldn't be allowed for people who want them. The only thing I see getting in the way of it are peoples nostalgia, and nostalgia is not a valid argument for anything.
03/01/2018 10:32 pm
Level 24 : Expert Modder
Nevermind3476
Nostalgia is a valid argument for everything.
03/02/2018 1:39 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Noctris
If you want slopes play Creativerse. Simple as that.
03/01/2018 4:40 pmhistory
Nevermind3476
Why are you people saying it should have slopes just because it's a sandbox game? It's Minecraft. No slopes. Go find something else.
03/01/2018 4:56 pm
AGTRigorMortis
That's not a good way to resolve things. Good for you, you have the option to not craft slopes if you don't like them, but people like me and Chandler don't have the option to craft slopes in the vanilla survival game. You see the problem?

You cannot use nostalgia as your excuse here. Also mine cart rails can be sloped as I mentioned before, yet for some odd reason it is not allowed with any other block. Isn't that a contradiction?

If you can't respect peoples opinions then go find some other thread to moan on.
03/01/2018 10:27 pmhistory
Nevermind3476
I didn't say that to "moan". But if slopes were added, even if I didn't use them, they would still be there. You would see them in the creative inventory, you would see all these builds with them. The people who hate slopes, would no longer have an option. When I think about it as a rail, however, it does make a bit of sense. But I still don't want to see it in vanilla, and even if I did agree, the devs certainly won't.
The main point I was complaining about is that you said it should have slopes just because its a sandbox game. Just because it's sandbox, doesn't mean it should have everything.
Oh and mods don't disable achievements. It must be the mod you are using specifically.
(also i gave you an emerald)
03/01/2018 2:55 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
chandlerklebs
Right you are! They made rails able to slope and it's about time they do it with the rest of the blocks! They need to make a hammer in this game that functions like the hammer in Terraria. That way you could get different shapes of blocks. Now personally I don't use slopes even in Terraria because I'm a hardcore block design fan but I care about consistency here and for it to be available for those who want it.
03/01/2018 3:21 pm
AGTRigorMortis
Exactly my point. We don't even have to add circles though, do we? that's not necessary, unless you're talking about things like wagon wheels on a stagecoach which gets pulled by horses, but that's another issue altogether.

I'm not asking for Mojang to add circles (a round sun or moon in the sky, if you want them, can be added by installing a texture pack which can be purchased off Microsoft's own store, problem solved), but at the very least adding the option to craft slopes using a hammer like in carpenters blocks mod would add much creativity potential to the game. You could build slanted rooftops, to slides (which could be used as traps if implemented correctly) and even diagonal pathways.

Having everything in cubes doesn't work for everyone either Chandler.
and I find the game way too restrictive in regards to what you can build.
03/02/2018 3:43 pm
Crazywolfcortez
i dont think slopes would really work in minecraft but maybe more stairs types
03/02/2018 12:49 am
Level 31 : Artisan Professor
EndPlayz
Well, I am against because of two reasons:
1. MineCraft is made of blocks, which makes it special to other games.

2. Ya got stairs if you want to make a decorative slope, and ya got to be creative for slide kind of slopes, which is what MineCraft doesn’t stop you from doing.
03/01/2018 10:54 am
AGTRigorMortis
Command blocks and redstone are in no way shape or form a legit replacement for slopes

not everyone is a programmer and besides they don't even make slopes as far as I'm aware, since no slope item exists within the games mechanics. The close approximation of a slope in Minecraft besides a downward rail or powered rail, is a stair block.

It's just totally ridiculous, Minecraft isn't all it can be because of the community, the way the people behave on here. If I was a programmer and game developer, I would've made a far better sandbox game, one that didn't give people these unnecessary restrictions on what you could build. But unfortunately I'm not a programmer, nor do I have the skills to become one, I wasn't gifted like that.
03/01/2018 3:00 pm
chandlerklebs
I think they can have the slopes such as the 45 degree angle be in because that still fits in with the pixel art blockish style. Yeah I agree with TomConn that it would be bad to start introducing round shaped things because it just does not fit in with the art style that I like about the game but for slopes 45 degrees make sense because then you go from one corner of a cube to the other corner that's what you get.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome