Please help me like minecraft (Not sarcastic)

OonaMistwalker's Avatar OonaMistwalker7/6/18 2:25 pm
7/8/2018 2:06 pm
Azie's Avatar Azie
I'm losing the struggle to like Minecraft, but my best friend plays it, so I'm trying to learn to like it. So many people play it that there must be something to it, but I'm missing it. The problem must be in me.

So... my friend and I play MCPE on a server he runs in the UK. I live in the US. We play survival mode. Here are some of the things that bug me terribly.

Youtube Community - I don't know where else to go to find out how to build something or to get inspiration but
  *Screamers who wiggle cameras are not my thing
  *No one actually PLAYS survival. They play creative or they edit out the parts that show how to overcome the boring bits. Example: who builds a large roof of stairs on a tall building in survival?
  *They build things in creative that don't work in survival (because of terrain, or mobs or whatever), even if they say its for the version I play.
  *A "survival house" in youtube typically has 6 or so squares of wheat, 2 or so squares of netherrack, chests stacked on top of each other and a pumpkin. These people obviously don't play survival mode.

Visibility:
  *In rainy conditions I can only see 35 blocks or so.
  *In clear weather I can see 124 blocks or so. Not nearly far enough to really get your bearings if you're trying to explore. Coordinates now help, but with the poor visibility and no map, I can't tell if a body of water I've ridden my horse to is a large sea or just a lake. Do i try to push the horse across or gallop around (leads aren't good because they break)?

Maps:
Useless because the world is much too large for them, even scaled as small as they can go. We have a map room that's already 3 stories tall and it barely covers the area we habitually use.

Building:
You can either build pretty things that creepers destroy in an instant, or you build f-ugly stuff that withstands them and keeps endermen out. I don't see any middle ground. I hunted through Youtube for inspiration. See above.

Redstone:
  May not work, depending on when the tutorial I'm referring to was made and for what version of Minecraft.

Rewards from wrecks, chests, etc.
  *Found my way out to a shipwreck. The chest had paper, a map or 2 and string. SERIOUSLY? All that exploring for THAT? Not doing that again.
  *Jungle Temple: found some arrows and some gold. Same as above.
The only reward worth anything is the saddle, simply because you can't make one.

I hear people on youtube say how much they like Minecraft, so I must somehow be playing it wrong, going to the wrong places to find inspiration, approaching it from the wrong angle. Can someone please help me? I don't want to hate it. I'm really trying to give it a chance.

OonaMistwalker
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/08/2018 2:06 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Use a mini-map mod and turn off mob griefing.

Other than that, my only advise would be to stop looking up how to play the game optimally. Minecraft is a ton of fun when you allow yourself to be creative-- which conveniently is why people spend time making a nice roof of stairs in survival mode.

If you still can't find enjoyment in it after that, there's nothing wrong with you. Different people enjoy different things. My boyfriend loves to play competitive shooters and I like to play MMOs. We have a hard time finding things to play together sometimes, but that's ok. He doesn't expect me to play things I don't like to play and I don't expect him to play things he doesn't like to play.
07/08/2018 2:42 am
Level 41 : Master Miner
30th_Trovage_DRAX
Play mods. Or build a empire, or make some nice houses. Or make a city. Or I dont know. Sorry man.
07/07/2018 7:24 pm
Level 26 : Expert Explorer
stoatsnhoney
Use mods or play servers if you want something different than plain survival or something. :D
07/07/2018 3:21 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
thedutchlord
For your horse travel problem, I usually carry a boat with me when I'm exploring, it's easy to craft and because
a boat can carry two players/animals you are able took your horse with you across the water, just simply punch your horse to the boat and he is in, when your across destroy the boat to get the horse out and take the boat with you.

As for the creepers, as long as you don't mess with them and you keep your distance they will not explode, if you really want them to be gone from your home then remember that a player runs faster than a creeper so lure the creeper to you but keep just enough distance to prevent a explosion, once he is far enough let him explode (wait until he reaches you, if he begins to grow/flashes white run to safety). You can also outrun him once he is away from your home just run fast and he will lose his interest in you.

Or build a fence/city wall to keep unwanted guests away in. the first place.

It may take some practice but it will keep you and your buildings in one piece ;)
07/07/2018 12:52 pm
Level 42 : Master Technomancer
Giancarlovan
Hmm, I personally don't play survival all that much, because I somewhat use Minecraft as a near endless and limitless avenue to explore my creativity and turn my imagination into some pseudo-reality.

If you are sticking with survival, though, here are some fun ideas to try :

- missions/challenges - challenge yourself to do stuff like curing a zombie villager, finding an ocean monument, building a beacon etc.
- roleplaying - you and your best friend could pretend to be adventurers, or adversaries!
- competition - you could set goals for yourself and your friend, and try to complete them first

Also, about creepers, they can't really destroy a treehouse or a castle on a steep mountain, if you brighten up the surroundings enough to prevent them from spawning, and terraform the terrain in such a way that creepers can't climb up (but you can, such as through ladders or something)

At the end of the day though, consider what you really want to do in Minecraft. Do you like building? Do you like the challenge of survival mode? Do you like just hanging out with your friend on Minecraft?

Do what you want to do, and perhaps in time, you will enjoy Minecraft more :)

P.S. Try voice/video chatting with your friend as you play, or maybe listen to music - the regular Minecraft sounds can get old
07/07/2018 12:41 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
Hmmm... If you're looking for Building insperation, then taking a look around PMC's projects section would probably help you :)
And if you want it to be Survival Only, then just search for something along the lines of "Survival House" and then if you like parts of their homes, then try and make something alike it on your own house.

And just a tip when you said that whole "Either you build pretty or ugly, no in-between" - Multi-layered walls (Aka. walls that have maybe 1 layer of obsidian in-between an outer and inner wall) can make a lot of buildings safe, but also really pretty.
07/07/2018 1:44 amhistory
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
SUPERIONtheKnight
I'm not going to comment on the Youtube Community or Visibility parts as I completely agree with what thunderbolt73 said, I will comment on everything else though. I also touched on a few other things that I haven't seen you talk about. :)

Java Edition
  • As others have already stated, I highly recommend this version over bedrock. It allows for quite a few more features.

Maps

• I agree, these are pretty much useless, although they do have one use. Some people like using these to make pixel art. This does take a while, but it is very rewarding in the end. Maybe it's something you would like to try out for yourself? :)

• If your only purpose of using a map is to help you figure out where you're at, coordinates are a much better option.

Building
  • Not much you can do about the creepers/enderman unfortunately. However from my experience, it's generally rare for them to ruin your builds if you are careful enough and light up your builds(Including the area around your builds).

• Enderman are only able to move certain blocks, so you shouldn't have to worry about them too much. Here is a list of blocks that they can move.

• If you are willing to cheat, you can turn off the gamerule doMobGriefing as that will protect your stuff.

Redstone
  • I don't recommend following block by block tutorials off of youtube. Some like doing it this way, and if that's you, Great! Go for it! However I think redstone is more fun if you learn all of the basic circuitry as this allows you to make your own stuff. So rather than following block by block tutorials, I suggest looking into things like "How to make a T flip flop" or "What is a Not Gate?". Even looking at how to use certain components like the "Sticky Piston" will help.

Rewards
  • Sounds like you were unlucky that time, I have managed to find diamonds/emeralds/gold in a shipwreck a few times now. Although I do agree that in general, the rewards can be a bit sad until you reach the end dimension.

Adventure maps/Minigames/etc
  • While I don't play these too often, they can be fun. I know of quite a few people who really enjoy this category. :P PMC even has a section to look at where you can find this stuff, and it's all free! Note: Most of the adventure maps/minigames/etc on PMC are meant for Java Edition.

Mods
  • If you have Java edition and feel like the game is getting stale, try looking into mods. They can add some extra flavor to the game. You can go here if to search for some mods if you want.

Servers
  • If you need some people to hang out with, I highly recommend looking into them. I can even tell you about a cool survival server on Java Edition if you're interested. :)

In Conclusion...
Minecraft has a LOT to offer, What makes it fun is honestly dependent on what you like. Whether you decide to stick with the game or not is up to you. If you still don't find it fun that's fine, we all like different things.

With all of that said, Welcome to Planet Minecraft! I hope to see you around! :)

~SUPERIONtheKnight
07/07/2018 1:09 am
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
The Cubic Team
Minecraft has loads of hidden features and things to do. You could set yourself tasks in game, maybe separate from your friend and after so many minutes, try and infiltrate each others base. A good youtube channel for minecraft to watch, IMO is Yogscast Lewis and Simon. They have some old raw videos about vanilla survival and adventure maps then other recent ones with mods. They are bound to make you laugh at some point, they always do with me. As for your game, you will just have to keep following the updates and set yourself goals because there’s only so much you can do in any Minecraft game
07/07/2018 12:47 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
Spectr3
Single player has always been a turn off for me.
If you have any brothers or close friends I suggest you play with them and start a world on survival normal.
Whether or not you have any brothers or close friends I also suggest you create an elaborate house (trust me these were the specific set of steps I took when I started to regret buying the game). Start a small garden. Keep in mind this game does have a main goal - get to the end realm. So, gear up and mine for iron! Keep in mind if you do not feel like playing you do not have to play. Take a breath. Eventually you will want to play this game. Because it offers the ability to be creative!
07/07/2018 12:08 am
OonaMistwalker
Uh-oh. I accidentally removed an emerald. I don't know what they're for, and i hope I didn't insult anyone! I'll go learn about them so I don't do that again. eeeek! sorry!
07/07/2018 12:39 am
Level 48 : Master Bunny
akashi
They're just upvotes, your post automatically gets 1 and that one is yours, so you didn't remove anyones lol, just your own (which you can add again).

Also like everyone here has said, PC version is better!! Server hosting is cheap either way, maybe you two can move over to that? Imo it's just so much better and might get you hooked. I've been playing since 2011 personally so survival is boring for me now, but because I don't play PE I can just mod my game (java edition) and that's what's been keeping me interested all these years, there's just so many possibilities in general other than mods on the PC version. :)

As for the creeper thing, enabling cheats isn't bad, I mean neither of you are gonna use them anyways other than preventing them from blowing things up? I'm sure you two trust eachother lol.

Posting on the forums COULD offer new friends but usually on those posts I only see like 2 replies?? The way I've made friends is through servers and my bestfriends I've made because I met them through the skinning community here. Honestly just posting submissions can earn you friends.

Best of luck to you though!
07/06/2018 7:30 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
AgentShieldjj
First, if you play only MCPE redstone won't be redstone (P.S. you can't do very much), the console version is good; but PC is the best (so if you have the money get that.).
Minecraft is a game of imagination, wonder, creativity, action knowledge and it's just great. If you don't know what to do, you should NOT ask people. Minecraft isn't a game that, that will work, and plus, do you not like it because you're bad at it, it's just too easy, or just plain out boring.I was in the same state your in before and one thing I found out is, DON'T just don't sit and think of what you're going to do. Do what you're thinking. if it's too hard, take things step by step. Don't try to find the tag to make an armor stand Invisible if you don't know what a tag is.
when it comes to before I had bought PC, it was boring, I always played MCPE and it just not worth it. The MCPE does get their updates first; but it's not as good. I mean when I found a shipwreck in PC it had 2 diamonds 13 gold and 19 iron nuggets.
So start trying to build things step by step, Don't of what to do, do what you're thinking. If you're thinking what should I do, build a face and make it look like someone thinking really hard. then maybe send a picture to a friend and have a contest who build the best-looking face. with redstone, if you don't like it (WHICH TO PC), first make redstone powerup, then take that redstone to go to a block that will turn off a redstone-torch....
Plus try out commands, and just have fun with friends!
07/06/2018 8:18 pm
OonaMistwalker
AgentShield233, your advice to not think of what to do, but do what I'm thinking is great.

I am very creative. I was in Second Life for years, and EVERYTHING there is user-created. I learned to use Photoshop, Gimp, Blender and Maya to make everything from elizabethan furniture to landscaping plants to fountains to Kimonos, dance fans, vehicles, structures... the sky was the limit there. I have a friend who created avatar animations using motion-capture as she danced traditional japanese dance. I had another friend who scripted waypoint signs in a park that went invisible when you were too far away to read them.

I think I find Minecraft boring, but that may be because I haven't adapted to see its potential yet. This I am trying to do, hoping I am not being a snob.

Thanks so much for your advice. It's helping me feel hopeful about liking minecraft and I appreciate that very much.
07/07/2018 7:13 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
AgentShieldjj
;)
07/06/2018 4:53 pmhistory
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
thunderbolt73
Youtubers can be annoying squealers yes. There are some good ones though:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR9Gcq0CMm6YgTzsDxAxjOQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK376qNDlNZZDNHsnaWuTeg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChFur_NwVSbUozOcF_F2kMg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cV5Ev6OXe45J6dF4UPgfQ

Regarding visibility, you can turn your render distance up in settings. It is set low by default as to not kill your device straight away. I don't play bedrock edition, but I know that in the Java edition you can increase your render distance all the way up to 64 chunks, which is equivalent to 1024 blocks of viewing distance. If you need a map you can craft one with a compass and paper. Leads only break if you go to far away, just go slowly. If that doesn't work still, you can make the horse follow you by holding wheat.

You can increase the size of a map by surrounding it with paper in a crafting table. Default maps are 128x128 but can be increased up to 2048x2048- that is 16 times as big as a regular map!

Middle ground: Kill the creeper instead of letting them explode. Or, if you don't mind turning on cheats, you could just turn off mob griefing.

Yeah redstone is completely broken in Bedrock edition, can't help you there.

Chests usually contain better stuff in my experience. It is randomly generated, so you just had terrible luck. RIP.
07/06/2018 11:36 pm
OonaMistwalker
Thanks for your response, Thunderbolt73.

I checked out those youtube channels. bookmarked, Bookmarked, BookMarked and BOOKMARKED!

I have visibility turned up to maximum but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe it's an issue with my friend's server or something on his end?

The last time we tried making maps, months ago, resizing maps was broken. I haven't tried since then and don't know if it's fixed.

Thanks for the great idea about luring the horse across water with food! It honestly had never occurred to me before. Because I'm no genius. Srsly. I've lured animals into pens, into automatic farms, but never across water because... yeah. *blush*

Killing creepers: the commonsense thing you're SUPPOSED to do. Except when they aren't in visual range and you can't hear them, which I can't do because i'm deaf to sound in the range they hiss in. Whatever. Life doesn't stop because I can't hear. It's okay. I'll look for other solutions to get rid of creepers because my friend doesn't want to enable cheats. He's a good friend and I don't want to take that away from him.

Has your experience with chests been in the Bedrock edition? Because the stuff I've been finding has been pretty pathetic.

But your suggestions have been very helpful and I'm really feeling a bit better about coming to like minecraft.
07/08/2018 12:45 pmhistory
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
thunderbolt73
Glad you liked the youtube channels. Antvenom is a classic favorite of mine and Linehead is very inspiring.

Oh by the way, the official minecraft handbooks are very good for learning to play survival. They are from 2013 so the combat guide is basically useless but everything else still holds true for the most part and is very useful. www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Essential-Handbook-Official-Mojang/dp/0545669936

As a server owner myself, I can 100% verify that it is possible to limit the viewing distance. Maybe talk to your friend into increasing it, if he knows how.

Idk about maps, in my experience bedrock edition is just broken in general.

I know that on the java edition, plugins such as griefprevention can be used to disable creeper explosions above sea level. I have never worked with bedrock servers though. If you need to hear them better, maybe try using a resource pack that changes the sounds.

Stuff I usually find in chests: Saddles, Music discs, horse armor, golden apples, and of course also the boring stuff like rotten flesh and bones. Lots of good loot though. I barely play bedrock edition at all.
07/06/2018 2:53 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Cake
carbonawk
MCPE as in pocket edition? (there are others, just making sure)

As is, for a long time I was like that too, until I found someone else to share ideas with. Not even play with necessary. But this got me motivated to try new things and get more creative, and even give input on her builds as well. (I have a survival server) It's true I could play with worldedit, creative voxelsniper and everything else to create Rome within a day. But, I simply do not have fun doing so. We're both a bit older than the average players. But this does not take away that Minecraft, as is, can't be a creative outlet for all ages.

The youtube part I definitely agree on, most are heavily focussed on entertaining the younger kids. For older people just is just annoying how they put on a face and do everything for views.

Visibility have you tried other versions of Minecraft? This doesn't have to be an issue on other versions.

Buildings, even though I do have a survival server. This does not mean I don't use plugins. For example. Creepers can't damage buildings. Just players. We also found this very annoying, especially starting out trying to get by and survive. (same with fire spread)

Redstone, This can even come down to the server settings. It might be annoying, But understandingly so. The servers have to deal with lag caused by this too. Meaning it can break these things. Especially when having a larger audience.

Rewards from chest have always been a bit underwhelming. The only exception might be when just starting out. Even then, on multiplayer servers, many places tend to be luted.

"I hear people on youtube say how much they like Minecraft"
It's on youtube. They overhype EVERYTHING. Don't believe the hype. It's rather depressive how they make others believe it.

Do your own thing, find people who you can be creative with or motive you to be creative.
Good luck.
07/06/2018 3:31 pmhistory
OonaMistwalker
Thanks for the advice, Carbonawk. :D

We play the Pocket Edition on a server he runs where just the two of us play. I guess I do need to find someone to share ideas with. My friend and I do build together and he's wonderful in his way and I'm wonderful in mine, but our styles are so different that he doesn't often inspire me. I have no idea if I inspire him; I know he's very patient with me. Very patient.

Visibility - I don't have a problem in my local games. In fact I started a local game using the identical seed as our server and from the spawn point I saw a large island just off our base (which is at our spawn point) that we never knew was there! We had been sailing past it, on both sides, for over a month! Would other versions have better visibility on servers? Could it be a Pocket Edition thing on servers?

Buildings - does the plugin you use remove achievements? My friend wants to have achievements available to us and he's been so patient with me I don't want to deny him that.

Finding people - Is the best place to do that in the forums here? How do you weed out the people trawling here for viewers to ramp up their Youtube revenue?

Maps - are maps just a lost cause and I should quit hoping for some sort of solution that works? I mean, given how enormous the worlds now are they would be so helpful. Sigh.

But thanks so much for your helpful post!
07/06/2018 3:53 pmhistory
Level 18 : Journeyman Cake
carbonawk
Visibility - can definitely be limited by servers, and all do. Some more than others though.

Buildings - no. not at all, achievements or rather advancements in the current pc versions I play, stay. Keep in mind, I don't play on PE. So this can is a bit different.

Finding people - This is a hard one. But, as far as online goes. I would say this is the best place to find other people who are also searching for others. You can find fun people on existing servers, but it's typically a lot harder to connect. However, I do think you will have a more organic connection, instead of forced. I have been to other forums, but planetminecraft will definitely be the largest now that minecraftforum has shut down their server listings recently.

Maps - Not sure what you are looking for. But filling up the world is a challenge that just can't be done IMHO. For example, my server has 25k x 25k chunks of building space. That's 160.000.000.000 blocks if the world was flat. Even though it's not. That's just an immense job. This being said the world can go MUCH larger. At least on the Java edition. What exactly are you looking for in maps? That part is a bit unclear to me.

Anytime ;)
07/06/2018 8:04 pm
OonaMistwalker
First of all, I only tried making maps once. I didn't know how to keep them straight in my inventory and then had trouble putting them up in proper order. At the time my friend and I were doing this maps were broken and couldn't be shrunk down. He's been doing some mapping lately and I don't know if the shrinking issue is fixed.

When I first started Minecraft I was hoping I could make a map I could hold in my inventory and look at to show me a large area. But that's not going to happen and I understand that. Now, I am just hoping to make something I can take screenshots of to stitch together in Photoshop and end up with something like a Chunkbase map (without the scripted coordinates, of course) so I can get some idea of what the layout is. And because of you the people who've posted here, I'm beginning to feel hope about liking the game more. I'm looking forward to bonding with this community and returning the favor it. :D
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome