The PMC Blogs: Whinny or Worth it?

KiddShadow's Avatar KiddShadow9/16/13 9:39 pm
9/18/2013 11:06 am
Jetra's Avatar Jetra
We've all had the moment where we're surfing through the PMC blogs and can't help but notice how almost all of it is simply a copy off of someone else. Most of them are simply made by experience hungry users, who don't want to work for the level. It's pretty simple to generate exp on the blogs as the user The Adam Bomb puts it "Back when I did it, I just picked a topic the PMC kiddies would feed on, Google searched an image, and then slapped on a couple of poorly done sentences". If it's just something people write that many others will agree on, to grind exp, then it doesn't help the community in any way, which we call a waste of space.

It would require too much work to comb through the blogs every day, and delete anything not worth anyone's time, so how to fix the problem of poop-posters? "The problem is, people want the reward, they don't care about voicing their opinions publicly in a decent manner. Take away the exp side of things, hence the forums, and that is all sorted out." Snowylips and some other users that I spoke to on the chat came up with a simple solution of getting rid of the blogs and just having users use the forums. Without an exp reward, the only people who find it worth posting on the forums are those who think a good article is it's own reward. The forums have every section, and even more than the blogs has, and really the only difference is that it doesn't get featured with a big picture on the home page, which is something that simply aides the exp hungry. It's a simple solution on a controversial topic that will undoubtedly spark huge complaints, that will turn into flame posts on every article that agrees with the idea.

Sadly the issue with the blog has spread like a virus throughout the PMC. We see tons of traced cool person skins, hundreds of simple cobblestone structures, and loads of pointless servers, "I mean, on this site... probably only 10% of everything posted on this site is worth anything." as user MincraftGuysBlog puts it. Only the Texture Packs and Mods sections remain immune due to the fact that those things require a few solid hours of actual work. I hope you readers can see my point before hitting caps lock and slamming in derogatory words.

Diamond, cause you can't and it encourages bad quality.
Favorite, cause you can't and it encourages exp grinders.
Subscribe if you really feel like its worth your time to read more of my crap.
KiddShadow
Level 21 : Expert Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Jetra
09/18/2013 11:06 am
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
I was talking to MinecraftGuysBlog about this as well. As much as I want quality content coming from it, I see nothing good. I normally go through to remove a lot of the content, but it just gets replaced daily. It's gotten to the point where even I think it's time to just shove everything to the forums and be done with it.

Most of the stuff that can be posted in the blogs has already been done. Even I didn't post quality content for the longest time, I just simply liked writing. However, I would like to see them come back as there are many great bloggers out there that put time and polish into their art.
-Rusty-
09/18/2013 10:49 am
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
I'd go so far as to say put limitations on the blog section but...

PMC's attempt to control it by adding a "24 hour" limit between making blogs, that didn't help as much as they would of thought ;-;....
invalidgame
09/17/2013 12:19 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Princess
you know whinny is what horses do and whiny is the annoying sound little children make right?
KiddShadow
09/17/2013 3:08 pm
Thanks. I didn't look right when I wrote it.
Eeirail
09/17/2013 12:15 am
Level 36 : Artisan Wolf Whisperer
I see you took my advice and made this, not only did you make this, but you made it in the forums.
You have a lot of potential, and I can't wait to see some more things that you post in the forums.
Strange_Chemicals
09/16/2013 11:22 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Taco
first off, thank you for posting this.

and thank you again for creating an easily legible, properly formatted, beautifully opinionated piece of writing. this is how it should be done.

on the topic of blogs being completely moved, i don't think it's possible.

all we can hope for (or at least me) is that the community is better on judging what a good / bad blog is. i don't think it can be done. it's just something we have to try and tolerate, i guess. try to mentally filter all the good posts from the bad.

*sigh* this is a good topic.
KiddShadow
09/17/2013 3:11 pm
Thanks for the complement, and I do agree it is impossible to do.
DAP
09/16/2013 10:22 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragon
i iz worse blogger. Let's boycott the blog section, and see what happens! Just kidding, don't do that. That would make it worse (unless that is what you want).
MayuriYandere
09/16/2013 10:35 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Prince
amg yis butket da blug secten

actually

what would happen if there was no blog section?

Well i can tell you the only reason i'm popular is because of a blog i posted when i first joined and i thought "i already got this far so why don't i keep doing it?" so then if no blogs i wouldn't be here... ..OHMYGODWENEEDBLOGS
ChrisL
09/16/2013 10:14 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
This is how user creation sites work-most of the posts are bad or spam, and some are good. A reward system usually allows the good posts/posters to become popular, though a reward system requires the interaction of the users. The users also have the power to report the blogs that break rules, and thousands of people reporting bad blogs is much more effective than you seem to think. Your solution to bad posts is to destroy everything and relegate blogs to a lesser position than any other PMC creation. It feels more like you just hate blogs and want them erased from PMC, or you would be saying that since there are many bad skins, they should also be moved to the forums.
KiddShadow
09/17/2013 3:07 pm
You bring up a good post, and my writing style usually does make me sound like I hate the other side of the story. The problem of spam is really like one of those "world peace" issues. The only way to really fix it is to get rid of it, but sadly that's a greater cost than gain. It was just an idea and I doubt it could ever be pulled off.
Summertime
09/16/2013 10:02 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Prince
Am, I a bad blogger?
AnimeFanFTW
09/16/2013 10:03 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Of course not, SummerTime!
Your blogs are great, too!
AnimeFanFTW
09/16/2013 10:01 pm
TheRustyCreeper:cry:

TheRustyCreeper, we are not saying your blogs are bad...
Your blogs are amazing!
Ash
09/16/2013 9:58 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
I like you. You can stay.
-Rusty-
09/16/2013 11:12 pm
lol... YUS!!!!
Punkamoar
09/16/2013 10:04 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
i like you, you can stay
-Rusty-
09/16/2013 9:58 pm
-Rusty-
09/16/2013 9:57 pm
Hey all of you that 'agreed', let me just say that as true as this is, there are some good blogs out there.

Sure there's a whole lot of spam crap, but look at people like me! I am a very nice blogger, I work for my thumbnails, and I put a lot of effort into my blogs...

Blogging is very discouraging you just made it even more discouraging ;-;
MayuriYandere
09/16/2013 9:59 pm
emphasis on the MOST in the blog post
MayuriYandere
09/16/2013 9:56 pm
MOST of the blog section is stolen and or crap (including mine)
Thursday
09/16/2013 9:53 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Prince
Agreed
AnimeFanFTW
09/16/2013 9:50 pm
I have to agree with you...
I see alot of copy/paste stuff on PMC...
Punkamoar
09/16/2013 9:48 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
this is profound
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome