Where will Minecraft be in a years time?

ReaperWillRise's Avatar ReaperWillRise3/29/16 4:41 pm
3/30/2016 3:00 am
yoda473's Avatar yoda473
I think a lot of old timers such as myself having played since the Alpha days have seen Minecraft transform into what I would call an over saturated mess over these past few years and the only question i have is, what next?

I honestly feel like Minecraft's charm was it's simplicity when it originally became popular but It's changed to the point where Mojang and Microsoft are trying to force it to become something it just isn't. Minecraft is not a RPG game and it should not have an 'end' nor should it have goals that are forced upon players.

Anyway, that's besides the point. My original question stands, where do you think Minecraft will be in a years time? Better or worse? More popular than ever or a relic?
I personally think Minecraft will continue to have more and more features added and will never regain that charming feeling that the earlier versions gave, just my opinions. I'm interested in your opinions too, thanks for reading!
ReaperWillRise
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/30/2016 3:00 am
Level 28 : Expert Button Pusher
yoda473
Oh for the love of Dinnerbone, how many times is this same type of thread going to be posted? At least it's not explicitly stating that the new updates ruin the game and at least the OP isn't hating on opinions, but still.
I think Minecraft started out with a much more adult community, due to it being a little-known indie game and such, and the updates were made to suit that sort of audience. Dunno how, but the Minecraft audience grew younger rather than older and I guess starting from the official release, Mojang decided to add more content that appealed to children. Now they're turning it into more of an RPG than a sandbox game. In my opinion, this pretty much makes sense, because the younger players, who are interested in an RPG-like Minecraft, probably don't want to mess around downloading risky things to get a similar experience. As for the veterans (do I count?), as stated before, you can simply select a previous version from the launcher or install a mod that gives the same effect if you miss the old days. Personally, I'm fine with any version: later version = mods, servers, and especially useful when I make adventure maps; eariler version = singleplayer, nostalgia, all the stuff you hear from the people who played "Cave Game" in 2009.

As a side note:
Azrathinstall some mods that adds NPC's that look like players and play.

When you take your post and set those last few words aside, it makes you sound lonely
Joking
03/30/2016 12:15 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Freaking Gamer 123
Chronsigh

ChronI don't normally comment on these types of threads, but after reading through some of the comments, I came to this realization:

Why does anyone care?

So what if it dies on a large scale? If you still enjoy it, the way it is/was (fun fact; every old version is still available to play, and I'm sure if enough of you "veterans" bucked up and got together, y'all could make the server y'all want), then why does it matter how other people enjoy it? You are not required to play 1.9, 1.8, or even the game at all. What matters is that people have fun. Mojang knows that some people, quite a few in fact, don't like that Minecraft isn't as "simplistic" as it used to be, so they made every old version accessible from the launcher. They also know that some people want new things added into the game decently frequently, so they update it every once and awhile, giving the people something fresh, something new. Want some of the new aspects, but not all of them? Mods are a thing.

C'mon, veterans. You've hung around long enough to know that you can make this game however you want it. And I'm sure that if you look hard enough someone else shares the same views as you on how the game should be played. There's no need to freak out. If Mojang cut the cord today, and you still had fun, so what? How other people play the game should not affect you, and how you think it should be played should not affect them.

This nostalgia whining is really getting old. Especially since everything you want is right at your fingertips.

Anyways, to answer the question, I see Minecraft being pretty similar to the way it is now. 1.9 is still pretty fresh, and it added quite a bit of content. I don't see any new content coming any time soon, although some re-balances might not be a bad idea and might be in the foreseeable future.

well,since I started playing during 1.5,so I don't know a thing about the alpha or Indev days,sadly not all of these versions are now playable(most are).Some of these new updates are very good indeed,but some are just copying mods,I like tech,but I also like minecraft in it's oringinal form,I think that minecraft should not be like a modpack,but should be like a base of a modpack,if you know what I mean,and also, you still can play old versions,but all the mods and servers don't support them anymore,like the 1.9 update is good as for the new commandblocks and new commands,but the end city dungeons,i think are copying of Hardcore Ender Expansion,they modified it,but the concept behind it is still the same.So now I don't play vanilla survival anymore,only make maps,play modded survial and sometimes servers as well.Minecraft is getting better an dbetter, but mods just outwin it so much that Microsoft and Notch are just starting to copy other people's ideas,so yeah I agree that Microsoft and Notch are running out of ideas.
03/30/2016 12:06 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
macgarthur
A year from now, they'll probably be what somewhere between 2.0 and 2.2 ballpark? By that time who knows, I'm actually excited to see what will happen. Change is good sometimes.

So many online games I've seen come and go in my lifetime, some of them I wish I could go back and play again but I can't because it's not possible. What you need to do is enjoy it today because tomorrow it might be gone.
03/29/2016 11:58 pm
Level 42 : Master Necromancer
candle_
Chronsigh

ChronI don't normally comment on these types of threads, but after reading through some of the comments, I came to this realization:

Why does anyone care?

So what if it dies on a large scale? If you still enjoy it, the way it is/was (fun fact; every old version is still available to play, and I'm sure if enough of you "veterans" bucked up and got together, y'all could make the server y'all want), then why does it matter how other people enjoy it? You are not required to play 1.9, 1.8, or even the game at all. What matters is that people have fun. Mojang knows that some people, quite a few in fact, don't like that Minecraft isn't as "simplistic" as it used to be, so they made every old version accessible from the launcher. They also know that some people want new things added into the game decently frequently, so they update it every once and awhile, giving the people something fresh, something new. Want some of the new aspects, but not all of them? Mods are a thing.

C'mon, veterans. You've hung around long enough to know that you can make this game however you want it. And I'm sure that if you look hard enough someone else shares the same views as you on how the game should be played. There's no need to freak out. If Mojang cut the cord today, and you still had fun, so what? How other people play the game should not affect you, and how you think it should be played should not affect them.

This nostalgia whining is really getting old. Especially since everything you want is right at your fingertips.

Anyways, to answer the question, I see Minecraft being pretty similar to the way it is now. 1.9 is still pretty fresh, and it added quite a bit of content. I don't see any new content coming any time soon, although some re-balances might not be a bad idea and might be in the foreseeable future.

I don't often comment on these things either but I'm tired of how anybody who's unhappy with the new changes has their opinions dismissed as whining out of nostalgia.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I think it's cool Mojang still does free updates. It's nice of them but I can disagree with the direction they're taking the game while still respecting them for that.

- You are not required to play the newer versions but some people prefer not to play the same version of a game forever without any new updates of any sort. The small quality of life changes are very helpful, but there is no option to only receive those quality of life changes, new command block features, etc. It's all or nothing and I believe that's the problem myself and most other people have with it. We don't really care for a lot of the new content and that locks us off from ANY of it. I think dual-wielding is handy without being obnoxious, carrots and potatoes are pretty okay, but I also think the new combat is incredibly dull. It's really just not the same. Hell, your skin doesn't even work in MANY previous versions of the game, and that's not just because of the new format - Mojang ended support for it.

- Mods are cool but you're not going to find many [stable] mods for a lot of old versions, and the ones you do are generally greatly inferior to current versions. It's the same problem with the main game.

- Some people love the new content, and that's rad - but here's the thing I don't understand - Why not just leave it to mods? Almost all of the things they've done recently have existed in a mod, from horses, to the menagerie of seemingly random tiny additions, to shields, and even some of the weird combat limitations. If they're so desperate to make these things, why not release it as some kind of option or free DLC? I fail to understand why they'd want to make such drastic changes to their base game when there's already an option for players who wanted that experience, and, if I'm being completely honest, the mods for it are often better. I'd rather use something like Tinker's Construct for "better" combat as it offers a variety of playstyles rather than giving one or two new options and limiting old ones.

- Certain individuals being happy with the new changes doesn't really mean they're a good thing. It's a controversy and has been for a while, and there's always been a pretty large group who has to either suck it up and deal with the oversaturation or play on an old version until they become bored of the game and leave. I think there are many better options they could pursue that don't really result in any controversy - improved command blocks, more world generation options and settings, OPTIONAL "mod-like" content, etc. There are many positive changes they can make without much of any flak.

Ultimately it's just very tiring to me and it's why most of my interest in the game has died. I don't want to play an oversaturated mess, I just want a nice base for creativity without all of this other content you're virtually forced into if you want any new changes, because modders certainly aren't going to want to make new mods compatible with every version, Mojang definitely doesn't want to put out ten thousand different patches to fix bugs in each version, and many people unhappy with the state of the game have long since left.

My exact problem is fairly simple - they've taken an amazing "base" and polluted it with content that was once player driven. It's sort of like they've taken a coloring book, colored in half the pages, and sell it off as the ultimate game for unleashing creativity. Even the "avoidable" changes such as the End content just strike me as... invasive. Like, [really really ugly oh my god] airships, towers, and trees? That's a bit, uh, much, and for me it damages the uniqueness of the place and the endermen themselves. It's just tacky, and most of my complaints are similar. I loved the air of the surreal the game had, and it feels like they're trying to make things feel less and less so and the game becomes less and less of a unique experience and far more cookie-cutter, which is what it should be actively avoiding, right?

As for the original thread, I just see a new update being announced, maybe for something like farming, "magic elements", or construction. It could go any way, really, and Mojang is way too random with the updates for anyone to accurately predict it. I don't see the game getting massively better or worse or anything special.
03/29/2016 8:30 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
Tech
The way I think of it: Server owners are going to get a lot of money.

With the majority of players being maybe 8-13, give it ten years and now they have cards to buy their particle trail they'll get bored of in five minutes with.

Seriously though, in future time they'll be able to buy some fairly expensive server ranks and anything else they find appealing.

I've spent a total of $210 on this game so far, and I don't even make money.
03/29/2016 6:14 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Ladybug
Lucy_the_Cow
I actually don't mind the elytra (wing things), they add a cool aspect to the game. The duel wielding is also pretty handy, especially for exploring caves (you can place torches and mine at the same time. c: ).

I'm not entirely sure where Minecraft will go in the future though. S:
03/29/2016 6:07 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
sigh

Why does anyone care?

03/29/2016 6:04 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Spy Snake
Gone.
03/29/2016 5:38 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
KluterMotionDesign
Minecraft doesn't need constant updates. They could leave the game untouched for 2 years, would do just perfect

It needs to stop with this dumb crap, and focus more on the core.
03/29/2016 5:33 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Engineer
VoteScott
Dead.
03/29/2016 5:32 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
NoahBot9000 Official
I think Mojang/Microsoft really have gone too far in these updates.

Come on, Wings? Shields? These are only found in mods people, Mojang is running out of ideas. I quit playing singleplayer long ago, around 1.6. Minecraft is just becoming boring/annoying. It wasn't originally made to have all these advanced features. It's not gaining popularity either. Most people now (at least in my town) see Minecraft as a joke. I believe Minecraft, in 5-10 years, will be nothing but a relic.
03/29/2016 5:35 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect
ReaperWillRise
Exactly! All these features were once optional with mods and now they're forced upon us, we need Notch...
03/30/2016 2:30 am
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
You know you can always play without those features? Either just ignore them as they are not "forced" upon you neither you require them to play minecraft as you played it before or just change minecraft version to older one, install some mods that adds NPC's that look like players and play.
03/29/2016 6:04 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
TopMatthew1
Notch still develops for Mojang, he is just no longer the owner...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome