Is it worth making a server right now?

Azrath's Avatar Azrath12/25/16 4:35 pm
1 emeralds 1.2k 23
12/28/2016 12:37 pm
Pysisco8's Avatar Pysisco8
I want to get back into the minecraft and was wondering if making a server is a good idea at this time?

I mean as far as I see like 2 years ago all there is (at least popular) is still minigames server and that is that. Oh and lets not forget PvP servers, a day cant go by without one new being made every second.
Azrath
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/28/2016 12:37 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Hunter
Pysisco8
What a beautiful post.
12/26/2016 3:26 pm
Azrath
I just got this amazing idea(yeah it will get buried like every other out there) and I need someone who knows how to make simple server side plugins that really do not need updating unless something major changes in how servers work!
12/28/2016 12:15 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
realComputerTurtle
And what would these plugins be
12/27/2016 9:53 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Warrior
CaptainEvstike
That profile pic with Blake from RWBY tho.
12/28/2016 6:39 am
Azrath
Yes, volume 1.
12/26/2016 1:33 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
Then I guess you need some kind of advertising too.

I do advertise.
12/26/2016 1:03 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Noctris
Hey you can join my Project Aeonia if you want!

We are making an exepriment, i think it will be awesome

If interested PM me
12/26/2016 11:23 am
Level 26 : Expert Network
X_1337
Now a days you need to be really unique and be able to give players good enough material to entertain them most people already know the game so if you have like a faction server they'd rise to the top quickly and get tired if you have a modded server they'd know how to get everything the fastest and they beat the modpack and get tired and stop playing so you really need to think about what you're gonna do to keep the players and provide constant updates its still worth making a server just you need to work harder than before with the EULA allot of servers have been shutting down big servers so from that allot of smaller servers come alive.
12/26/2016 11:48 am
avrona
Uniqueness is not always the only thing required. I am currently making a very unique server, but it get's very, very little traffic, even though it's been around for a year and a bit.
12/26/2016 1:37 pm
CaptainEvstike
I understand you, same with my server. Everyone says "BE UNIQUE OR ELSE YOU HAVE THE SAME SERVER AS EVERYONE ELSE" But ideas are running out. You need to pay to be featured on real server lists. People think it's that easy.
12/26/2016 12:16 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NewSuperMario
Yeah, in your case it may be because of what you've written on your profile: "people think vanilla is just survival or creative"

Then I guess you need some kind of advertising too.
12/26/2016 5:33 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
male07mdl
It's worth creating server if you want to make money from children.
12/26/2016 10:17 am
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
That's not the point of a server. A server is for people to play together either if they're close or far it's one of the ways how Minecraft connects the world, what you do on it depends on you. And it's worth it if players on your server are happy.
12/26/2016 2:55 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragon
Freddy Goldbeast
Whatever you do, i may be able to help. I can code you custom things, and it may either be for a cheap price, or for free. If you accept me as your developer, please add me on skype:

TeamFortressPlayerOfDoom
12/25/2016 11:37 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
CaptainEvstikeToo many people are saying, "Make the server unique." My answer is "It can't be unique unless you are willing to hire and pay builders and developers to customize it."

To that I answer, nope. Clever changing of existing plugins can be done by an individual. Unique isn't putting your brand on every existing mechanic on the server; it's not as simple as throwing a bunch of junk into survival. It's really more of a feeling you get from playing the server; a sense of having something there you won't feel elsewhere. It's a hard concept and most owners don't have it. It's something to strive for beyond all else. And, of course, it helps not to make a server identical to another one that just slapped random downloads and poor configurations in.

Honestly? Server creation is more about the planning than the execution. The thoughts, the concepts, a blueprint on how the server plays. Then the downloading and tinkering... to accomplish that plan. I think too many owners miss the fact that planning is actually useful.

All that said, I do agree; saying "be unique" without any form of elaboration isn't particularly useful.

CaptainEvstikeI say, join a few decent smaller servers and get staff. If you get a high rank with a really bad application, it means they aren't professional and move on. I hate it when people apply with these sentences: "I want to become staff so I can help the server grow." How are they going to help the server grow with that sentence everyone uses? Also: "I can advertise and ban hackers." It's easy to find hackers and banning them is very easy. If they go advertise on big servers, they are most likely to get punished and will rage away.

All certainly true and commonly found, unfortunately... there's something wrong when I'm able to get Head Admin from pasting a trump speech into an email. Long story...

CaptainEvstike
Nitwick
There's an alternate way and an alternate logic to this. People joining an unfinished server are going to see that you released an unfinished server. If you have the fundamentals 100% complete, but expand the gameplay elements to include content based on player feedback from your foundation, that can get a good impression going.

I don't mean unfinished, but without crazy filled and flashy tablists, broadcast messages, voting crates and shop and website ads everywhere.

Blimey. Half of those I don't even like, so I'm with you there :p

Feature overload that's far too common; put in what's necessary, possibly add background mechanics for exploration and then expand. That makes sense to me.
12/25/2016 7:25 pm
CaptainEvstike
I forgot the point of my post, sorry.

Too many people are saying, "Make the server unique." My answer is "It can't be unique unless you are willing to hire and pay builders and developers to customize it."
I say, join a few decent smaller servers and get staff. If you get a high rank with a really bad application, it means they aren't professional and move on. I hate it when people apply with these sentences: "I want to become staff so I can help the server grow." How are they going to help the server grow with that sentence everyone uses? Also: "I can advertise and ban hackers." It's easy to find hackers and banning them is very easy. If they go advertise on big servers, they are most likely to get punished and will rage away.
Seriously, start off with an average server, then learn some skills and try to make it different based on knowledge, trial and error.
I recommend starting a server.
12/25/2016 7:17 pm
CaptainEvstike
Don't start the server too good. Become friends with the community and let them watch you setup the server. You want to be the friendly owner who builds their community from the players' feedback. The servers that start out with shops and fancy configured plugins before release get players, but they just quit, or the same ones every single day. When you build the community along with the players supporting you, they see your work and how much effort you put into it, and they become determined to become staff and help out.
A mistake I did was I opped all of my friends and when I introduced permission ranks so players couldn't do any command, I had to do a staff reset. Staff were furious and quit or had grudges, and the server fell apart. It got way more players after, but they joined grudgers and rage quit.
12/25/2016 7:21 pm
raidarr
There's an alternate way and an alternate logic to this. People joining an unfinished server are going to see that you released an unfinished server. If you have the fundamentals 100% complete, but expand the gameplay elements to include content based on player feedback from your foundation, that can get a good impression going.
12/25/2016 7:27 pm
CaptainEvstike
I don't mean unfinished, but without crazy filled and flashy tablists, broadcast messages, voting crates and shop and website ads everywhere.
12/25/2016 7:10 pm
raidarr
That's factions and PVP today in a nutshell. Every couple of minutes, I swear, a new one is being born.

Success, if the goal is making a sustainable 10+ player community, is difficult to accomplish. However, having seen you around, I think you do have a better chance than most new owners at making something that'll last.

Add something that has your own twist to it and I'll say "why not?". Don't let my opinion that no new servers should be added due to excessive oversaturation stop you.
12/25/2016 6:52 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
Well. As Ac3Dude mentions "with EULA and the top servers shutting down it has created a huge increase of smaller servers"

If you want to start a server, make it community based, and if you want to you could try and make a server for Windows 10 / Pocket Edition. Atm, lots of the younger generation players (I'm guessing they're around 6-12 years old) use Pocket Edition on their iPads, iPhones, and so on.

Maybe if you start a server with mini-games and a friendly community, you could become the leader of the first big Windows 10 / Pocket Edition server :p
12/25/2016 6:45 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Batman
Ac3dUd3
A lot of people think MC is dying. However this is not true. with EULA and the top servers shutting down it has created a huge increase of smaller servers.so the community is more spread out among all these small servers that have been created in a few days. to have a successful server now days you need to show players why they should play on your server and not the other 100,000 out there
12/25/2016 6:07 pm
avrona
Yes as long as it's something unique. Minecraft is getting more and more popular and it is getting more and more updates, so more things are possible.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome