How to create a mod

Backrooms's Avatar Backrooms7/29/21 11:11 am history
2 emeralds 200 1
7/30/2021 9:21 pm
Pixus's Avatar Pixus
Im going to create a mod that includes dimensions with entities, loot and custom items in that mod, so how do you kinda create a mod.
Backrooms
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/30/2021 9:21 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Fox
Pixus
Unless you're planning to learn Java and how to make mods in the modding platform of your choice (presumably either Forge or Fabric), I don't think you're really going to get anywhere unless you rely on MCreator, a program that allows you to make (very simple) mods using a simple interface. Would I recommend it? Not really; it's good for beginners, but practically pointless for everyone else, unless you're willing to rewrite most of its code, since it's not very efficient and its limitations are abound.

There is a reason why MCreator has a dubious reputation, that being since others generally abuse it to create typically crappy, low quality mods (Sturgeon's law is in full effect) that often accomplish the same thing (adding new generic ores, adding tools of the same ore, etc) in which, if they used it for private usage or only uploaded it on its website, I would get, but they also upload it elsewhere (namely CurseForge and Planet Minecraft, the two biggest mod sharing websites I'm aware about, not including mod reposts) in which they clutter up the actually decent and well coded mods. There are definitely a handful of mods made in it that are actually generally considered good, but they generally pale in comparison to other mods coded manually, or may get a rewrite to make them more efficient.

If you want a lazy, quick and dirty (or would it be "clean"? Probably not since the code it makes is generally sloppy) way to accomplish something very easy, like adding additional cosmetic blocks, for private usage, then I suppose it works, but otherwise, you're probably best off learning Java yourself, especially if you're planning to publish it.
You can read this document about "Why MCreator Sucks" as hosted on GitHub that lists what's wrong with it better than I personally can.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome