Is it... SAFE??

SuperGamer40's Avatar SuperGamer408/24/18 11:10 pm
1 emeralds 2.2k 5
9/6/2018 2:08 am
ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser
I don't quite understand how safe the download links are on mods. I keep getting directed to a website called clearload.bid , and from there I can download the mod after. What does this website have to do with the actual mod download website? Why does the download link have to send me there and THEN redirect me to the right page, whether it be MediaFire, or an official page? I don't quite understand it. Please, someone who's been here longer, what is the deal with this?
SuperGamer40
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/06/2018 2:08 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
Late response, but oh well...

I looked it up: clearload.bid is simply a website which is related to adf.ly which is a well known advertising site. If someone has a download link they first redirect you to that site so that those can provide you with ads which will enhance the posters commission. That's all that's happening here.

Despite what's being mentioned below this can also happen on PMC, but only members who have a higher level are allowed to use such links (also referred to as 'sponsored links' or 'adlinks'). I believe it's level 20 and up, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

If you're unsure about all this (I definitely agree that a little care goes a long way) then I would suggest you look into adding an adblocker to your browser.

Hope this helps!
08/25/2018 2:14 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
download mods from pmc, minecraft forums and curse, then you know they are safe
08/24/2018 11:55 pm
Level 1 : New Network
WyattPlayzIt
Hello, SuperGamer40,
I Suggest googling mods, to see if they have an offical website. Then click the download button.
When it is downloading a file, it will display the name. If it isn't a .jar or .zip, it's not your mod. if it's name doesn't sound like the mod your downloading, it probally isnt your mod. if you will mention the mods you are attempting to add, I could link you to a safe download link for them.
08/25/2018 12:04 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
SuperGamer40
I ALWAYS make sure it has the java logo on the download popup on Chrome when it says, "This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep ________ anyway?" and it almost NEVER has something else. I have encountered just a couple of times where I had just a couple of seconds to click the download and immediately click "cancel" before it downloaded something bad on my computer. I DO NOT WANT A VIRUS ON THIS GAMING PC.
08/25/2018 12:18 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
TobyTapper
Viruses are stored on the hard drive. If infected, just wipe and use a backup.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome