Skin Feedback Thread

DinowCookie's Avatar DinowCookie7/4/18 9:30 am
13 emeralds 675 29
8/26/2018 7:57 am
Naimarra's Avatar Naimarra

The idea

A thread with the goal to give and receive feedback on skins. Post a link to your skin or an image of your skin below to allow me and other people to reply with their feedback. Anyone is welcome to ask feedback or to reply.

Constructive feedback only please; be realistic, be nice and give tips instead of just criticism.

Why feedback is nice

Recently I've heard people about how everyone in the skin community is so nice to each other. Always full of compliments and flaws aren't really pointed out. And of course this is lovely, but on the other hand hearing some points of critique can help you improve your skin-making skills. ^_^ It can also really help to look at other people's skins somewhat critically, to see what you would do differently. Posting feedback publicly is also nice so that everyone can read it and learn from it.

Don't forget!

Please keep in mind that this thread is not to fish for compliments. If you're 100% happy with how your skin turned out and you're not going to actually do anything with the feedback, then please don't ask for feedback.

Also don't forget that there isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to make a skin per say, while some flaws can be pointed out objectively, some other aspects are a matter of taste.

Chat

I have a discord server for skin feedback. Find the forum thread for the discord chat at this link.

DinowCookie
Retired Moderator
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/25/2018 5:34 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Lad
Naimarra
hello! could someone please give me feedback on this skin?

I've been trying to find ways of improving my shading, so constructive criticism is appreciated!
08/26/2018 3:59 am
DinowCookie
I think this shading looks better than shading on most of your previous work (and I am happy to have it as part of the community skin collection!) I think you shaped the torso and arms quite well. :D

As for tips, I do have a few. The first thing I noticed that could be better is blending; some colors look similar which causes them to flow into each other while that was not meant to happen. I think this happens with the golden bracelet around his arm, and his shoes. They blend a bit with your skin color. You can fix this issue by picking a silghtly different hue, saturation or value on these parts, and by making tactical use of the darks and highlights in your shading.

The second thing I noticed that could be improved, is how you shaded the back of your skin. The way you did this suggests that his back is "round" like a belly. You can fix this issue by idicating where his spine is, and indicate a more hollow lower back, by using dark shades in those places. :)

Hope that helped! It's great to see you improve. ^_^
08/26/2018 7:57 am
Naimarra
Thank you very much! i'll be sure to use these tips to improve my skins further :)
08/01/2018 12:04 pm
Level 46 : Master Skinner
WilliamJT
On a scale of 1-20 how good is my skin? And how can I make it better?

Click me please!!! c;

08/02/2018 9:39 am
DinowCookie
Not going to score your skin, "good" is too subjective and I have no other skins to compare to. But I can give some feedback. ^_^

I think you've done a good job on the template/overall shape of the skin. I see you're learning how to shade and you shaped parts of your skin well. I especially think the shape of the shading on the hair of your skin is better compared to the rest. Be careful about "outlining" like you did on the body. It's important to think of "why" certain shades and highlights are in a certain place. Ask yourself where light would fall, and where it wouldn't. :)

Coloring and creating palettes can use a little work on this skin. Which program did you create it in? It would be good to use a program which allows you to make a color palette. :)
I see you did use some hue-shift, though be careful to not make jumps that are too big. And mind your stauration too. For example, I think you saturated the darkest shade on the hair and the darkest shade on the pants a bit too much.

Overall I think this skin is a nice effort, and you're well on your way to getting better. :D
08/02/2018 2:11 pm
WilliamJT
Thanks a lot!
For this skin I used MinersNeedCoolShoes, but I recently switched to the PMC skin editor!
08/02/2018 2:51 pm
DinowCookie
Switching to PMCskin3D will do your skin creating much good I bet ^_^ it has some very neat features.
08/06/2018 7:06 pm
Naimarra
Hey i have a question, do you think its worth it switching to PMCskin3D from Skindex?

right now i'm very comfortable with Skindex's set-up, but PMCskin3D seems to be rising in popularity, and highly recommended.

i have a few problems with PMCskin3D, but i might be able to look past them once i get used to the program a bit. :)

sorry this is out of the blue
08/07/2018 9:22 am
DinowCookie
Yeah I definitely recommend switching to PMCskin3D, in my opinion it's currently the best Minecraft skin making program that exists, next to MCskin3D which I used previously,

The new program took some getting used to for me as well, but it was certainly worth it. I'd say go for it, make the switch and try to overcome any difficulties you may still have at this point. :)
08/01/2018 2:42 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Artist
Antiquez
Hey hey, tahts pretty good skin skin!

I would would say 17/20, because the shading is evened out and it looks great
BUT

I would say the arms look a LITTLE underwhelming compared to the rest of the skin.

Also, since I saw it's book-themed, maybe you can add a little custom sword on the back (maybe bow?) to shine up it up a little

Overall, great!
08/02/2018 7:42 am
WilliamJT
Thanks!
07/12/2018 12:48 pm
Antiquez
I created a skin lately, I want to know:

On a scale of 1-10, how good is it?

Click me
07/29/2018 1:50 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Programmer
Wildcard_Gamer
Ok so I'm going to be honest, 4, some tips to make it better is space out the gradient more, It seems like its too much of A wide range, maybe space out some highlights and then darken it from there, A good way to shade gradients is to put the darkest colors in the corners of the chest and getting lighter while going inwards. another thing with gradients is the transition. I'd say rather than light neon green to black, try a less neon green to dark green. Because of the way it is it kinda looks like more of a stripey pattern then a blended gradient
07/30/2018 11:20 am
Antiquez
Ok, thanks!
07/09/2018 9:41 pmhistory
Antiquez
07/10/2018 12:06 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Magical Girl
TakoTako
Nice skin!
For the shading, maybe try to do something where the insides of the arms/legs are darker than the outside and the front/back?
Maybe try to shade the hair as well, as it tends to look a little out of place when everything else is shaded and it isn’t :)
Also, you should color the tops of your legs and the bottom of your head, or wherever you forgot to put color or whatever ;)

Here’s an image of actual human shading to kinda help. Sorry for my crude censoring. The inside of his legs and arms are darker, like how i described it earlier :)

Hope this helps!

CLICK ME >:D
07/11/2018 2:42 pm
Antiquez
My skin is an alien, why are you giving me a human skin?
07/11/2018 5:59 pmhistory
Level 51 : Grandmaster Magical Girl
TakoTako
Sorry, I thought that it was a human-shaped alien, so I thought some shading like that would fit it.
I apologize!
07/05/2018 10:02 am
Level 45 : Master Witch
Caromid
I would like to know how I can improve on my skins, so plz let me know! ;D ty!

Click Me!! ;D
07/05/2018 10:27 am
DinowCookie
Ah :D I think the one you linked is actually one of your better skins. The only thing I might see that you could improve on that particular one, is the readability of the dress. It's the same problem that Mangled had with her skin; the colors are so similar that it's harder to tell what is what.

I think your palette for the hair on that one is incredibly well done ^_^

As for your skins in general, I see that you often try different things with palettes and shading and that's great because you learn to do new things even if it doesn't always turn out as great. I think one thing you could be critical of in general with your skins, is to not have too low a contrast and too high a lightness. I see some of your palettes are very light and barely contrasted. Which can be a choice, of course. But I feel your skins with more contrast look better overall :)
07/05/2018 10:51 am
Level 45 : Master Witch
Caromid
Yea the skin I linked I seriously struggled to separate the dress and skin on the legs, ahh there just aren’t enough shades of blue!! I do agree I have probably with overexposed/to light skins. Thank you for the feedback!!
07/04/2018 1:19 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Blockhead
MysticMarineon
I don't know how to shade so I need someone's thoughs.
Does this look good without shading?
Because i feel like i need to change something but im not sure.
07/04/2018 1:32 pm
DinowCookie
I like how you made the heart shape on the back of her hair. You also did the inner parts of the body right so the overall skin looks nice for a skin without shading. I do think that maybe you would want to choose a different color for the shoes, unless it was your intention that she looks bare-feet now.

Personally, I would've made the face one pixel lower but that's a matter of preference. :)
07/04/2018 9:41 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Meme
Mangled
I know there are a bunch of errors on this but I'm not sure how to fix them. ^^
www.planetminecraft.com/skin/g-inkling-girl/
07/04/2018 10:26 amhistory
DinowCookie
Ah, I actually quite liked that skin ^_^ gave it a diamond too. What I like the most about it is the coloring which I think is very nice. Also the shading on the shirt is great!

I do find it a bit hard to "read" on the back of the skin. Is she wearing a backpack? Is that her hair or an orange item she's carrying on her back? I can't tell. My guess is that it's her hair next to an orange item. To make it more readable in that case, I would suggest using a different palette of orange for the item.

I see that you shaded the sides of the body somewhat darker, to indicate a shadow. I do this with all of my skins; the inside of the legs and arms, top and bottom of the body, bottom of the head and the top of the legs are all shaded darker because that's where shadow falls naturally. It's a matter of choice. :) But I like that you did that on the side of the body.

Though I see an inconsistency there in your skin. On one arm you darkened the outside and highlighted on the inside, while on the other arm you highlighted the outside and darkened the inside. This would make sense if you had a very strong light source coming from the side, but then you'd have to shade the legs in that same way. To "fix" the lighting on this skin, here's what I would do:

In the end it's your choice how you want to do this. The most important thing to keep in mind is "where does the light come from?". ^_^

Hope that helps!
07/04/2018 10:34 amhistory
Mangled
I tried to make it so the orange ink container thing on the back didn't blend too well haha
Making it another orange palette may have worked better
The light is coming from the right although I think the way you put how I would shade it makes more sense.
Thank you for the advice! I will try and use it in my next skin. ^^
07/04/2018 10:41 am
DinowCookie
Being able to separate different parts of the same color in a skin is very tricky. Using slightly different palettes and tints of the same color often works.

I figured you might have intended a light source from the right, the arm on the left indicates that clearly with those very dark shades on the sides. In that case, here's what I would do to be consistent with that light source:

Looking forward to seeing your next skins :D hope this has helped you a bit further.
07/04/2018 10:44 am
Mangled
Thank you! :>
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome