Computer Help!

drab's Avatar drab4/6/14 3:46 pm
4/7/2014 9:50 am
ThouGreatness's Avatar ThouGreatness
Hey! I need help with figuring out which PC I should get! If you would be so kind, please help!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Anodized-S ... 1/34083868
Click to reveal
Platform: PC
Primary Color: Silver
Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Type: AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-5550M Accelerated Processor
Processor Speed: 2.10 GHz, with a Max Turbo Speed of 3.10 GHz
System Ram: 6 GB
Maximum Memory Expansion: 8 GB
Hard Drive Size: 750 GB
Laptop Screen Size: 17.3 inch
Screen Type: LED Backlight, HD BrightView Display
Resolution: 1600 x 900
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8550G with 3182MB of dedicated system memory
Multi Media Drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner
Card Reader Type: 1 x SD Card Reader
Battery Type: Lithium Ion
Network Connection: 10/100 Fast Ethernet & 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connector Type: 1 x Ethernet, 1 x Headphone/Microphone, 1 x HDMI, 1 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x VGA
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Accessories Included: AC Adapter, Battery

OR

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavilion-1 ... A/34317524
Click to reveal
Platform: PC
Primary Color: Silver
Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Type: AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-5550M Accelerated Processor
Processor Speed: 2.10 GHz, with a Max Turbo Speed of 3.10 GHz
System Ram: 4 GB
Maximum Memory Expansion: 8 GB
Hard Drive Size: 750 GB
Laptop Screen Size: 17.3 inch
Screen Type: LED Backlight, HD+ BrightView Display
Resolution: 1600 x 900
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8550G with 2158MB of dedicated system memory
Multi Media Drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner
Card Reader Type: 1 x SD Card Reader
Battery Life: 6 hours
Battery Type: Lithium Ion
Network Connection: 10/100 Fast Ethernet & 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connector Type: 1 x DC-in, 1 x Ethernet, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/Microphone, 1 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x VGA
Operating System: Windows 8
Accessories Included: Power Cord,Battery

If you have any other suggestions in the price range of 400-550$ Then I'd be happy to take a gander at them!
drab
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/07/2014 9:50 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Architect
ThouGreatness
ThouGreatness
skillet4eva
AnakingTheBeast
If its because you think it's hard, it's really not. It is literately like putting together legos. And you won't lag in some games with these laptops, but you could save money, and build a better computer....

I see... Well, I'll look into it. Thank!

Custom built pcs also cost a lot more, ones I've seen costed people a minimum of $1000, it is also difficult and easy to damage during the construction process. I'd buy an all in one desktop or look for a decently priced laptop

The cost is dependent upon the parts that you pick, and you pick the parts based on what you're doing with the computer. So if someone is playing intensive games, or editing HD footage, it's likely that their computer will cost upwards of $1k. In all honesty, $1000 isn't an excessive amount for a computer. Some of the builds on PCPartpicker are upwards of $3000. Worth it all the while.

On another note, to get the same performance as the $1000 build that you mentioned above, out of a prebuilt, it would probably cost you at least $1300. If you can even find a prebuilt that's equally balanced.[/quote]
04/07/2014 9:49 am
ThouGreatness
-snip-
04/07/2014 6:47 am
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
skillet4eva
Custom built pcs also cost a lot more, ones I've seen costed people a minimum of $1000, it is also difficult and easy to damage during the construction process. I'd buy an all in one desktop or look for a decently priced laptop

They cost a lot less..... And no, you can get them as low as 250-350......And it's really hard to damage anything, unless you're not careful, but most people are, so that's not a problem.....Do not, I mean dooo not but a all in one, or a laptop.

Don't listen to this idiot, he don't know what he is talking about.
04/07/2014 3:27 am
kaizenworlds
Lag is mostly due to server or internet connection. FPS drop is down to graphics card. If these things are a concern do not get a cheap laptop as they have crappy graphics cards.

If it MUST be a laptop have a look at the Lenovo Y series as they are the cheapest, a Dell gaming laptop will cost 3 times that.

Now if we talking Desktops you can get very nice stuff for your price range with the ability to swap out the graphics card later when it gets old.

Where is my advice coming from? 20 years of IT Consultant experience

AnakingTheBeast
Lancet13I don't have a recommendation for a computer between $400 and $550, however I highly advise against buying any computer from Walmart.

I would suggest looking in other locations that specialize more in computers such as Bestbuy, Fry's, Microcenter, Staples, Officemax...

I do despise Walmart, so I'll check out other places.

Walmart didn't even tell me to activate a Warranty for my iPod. 9 months of no warranty it finally broke...
04/06/2014 4:02 pm
Level 43 : Master Taco
Son Gohan
If you are dead set on one of those 2, get the top one, it has more RAM, which is a good overall way to keep things fast.

That being said, I would not recommend buying a computer of any kind from Walmart because they're basically garbage, with a few exceptions. My own Emachines e627, with a processor upgrade to a dual-core CPU, a wipe and install of XP vs Windows 7 (It was painfully slow using 7, but nice and quick with XP), and regular cleaning, has lasted through thick and thin. And I'm about to stick an SSD in it, so I can move back to Windows 7 since Microsoft is ending all support for XP in 2 days, lol. But like I said, that in an exception to the rule.
04/06/2014 3:54 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
Circuit Craft
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend Walmart or HP. I do like Maingear, and Lenovo for premades. I would think that a desktop self built would be best, but if you want to make it portable, the easiest thing to do would be buy a prebuilt from Lenovo.
04/06/2014 3:57 pm
drab
I'll look into it! Thanks!
04/06/2014 3:51 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Nerd
Lancet13
I don't have a recommendation for a computer between $400 and $550, however I highly advise against buying any computer from Walmart.

I would suggest looking in other locations that specialize more in computers such as Bestbuy, Fry's, Microcenter, Staples, Officemax...
04/06/2014 3:56 pm
drab
I do despise Walmart, so I'll check out other places.

Walmart didn't even tell me to activate a Warranty for my iPod. 9 months of no warranty it finally broke...
04/06/2014 3:51 pm
Killertoad
Do you only want a laptop? You could build one that is better.
04/06/2014 3:55 pm
drab
For some reason I don't really want to build one.. xd I just want to get a nice laptop that I can play games on and not have to worry about lag (alot)
04/06/2014 4:06 pm
Killertoad
If its because you think it's hard, it's really not. It is literately like putting together legos. And you won't lag in some games with these laptops, but you could save money, and build a better computer....
04/07/2014 5:59 am
Level 32 : Artisan Vampire
LadySpiderwick
I see... Well, I'll look into it. Thank![/quote]
04/06/2014 4:25 pm
drab
I see... Well, I'll look into it. Thank!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome