1

Help setting up server?

94sFinest •12/23/11 3:38 am
•
100
•
1/20/2012 6:25 pm
Hey everyone, I'm having some trouble setting up a private server for me and my friend.
First off, I'll just give you the info on how I've set it up so far, because it seems to be set up correctly;
I ported forward the correct port, so I don't think that would be an issue.
I found out my WAN IP, and set that as the server_ip in server.properties, then gave it to my friend.
He put it in to the 'direct connect' bar, and it gave him some sort of error.
He tried putting the port on the end (:25565), and got another error.
So this time, I tried setting the server_ip in server.properties as my personal IP (192.168, etc.), and this was before I ported forward, and my friend put that in, and connected after a few tries.
Everything was great until he logged off that evening, then the next morning, he kept getting errors again.

Could someone please give me some tips on setting this up, because I'm at my wits end :/
Sorry for the massively long post, I just needed to make sure all the info was there.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by
94sFinest
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
19

  Have something to say?

Join • Sign in

7

Jas
• 01/20/2012 6:25 pm
• Level 67 : High Grandmaster Sweetheart
Set the server IP in the properties as your static IP, and you should find that it works nicely
1
benqwe123
• 01/18/2012 2:28 pm
• Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
1
TimBob12
• 12/23/2011 7:01 am
• Level 22 : Expert System
I leave mine blank and it works perfectly. You will have to give your friend the IP that this website - whatsmyip.org tells you. Port forwarding works by taking all traffic from the port that you specify (in this cas 25565) and sending it to the correct IP address. By setting a static IP you can be sure that all data for port 25565 will always be sent to your computer to be dealt with.
1
94sFinest
• 12/23/2011 4:08 am
• Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Alright, I've set up my static IP.
Now, could somebody please tell me what I type as the server_ip in server.properties, and which IP I give to my friend?

Sorry to be so uninformed, I'm a bit new to the whole server thing.
Thanks.
1
94sFinest
• 12/23/2011 3:53 am
• Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
No, he's not on the same network as me, he lives a fair few kilometres away.
And I don't know how to set a static IP, do I need to?
I have an extremely powerful computer, so hosting and playing on the same one is no trouble, but would making a static IP interfere in any of the other computers in the house? Because I haven't moved out yet (still waiting on the appropriate funds ), and my Mum will get angry if I mess anything up with her computer.
1
TimBob12
• 12/23/2011 3:48 am
• Level 22 : Expert System
First off is he on the same network as you are or are you on different connections? Also have you set static IPs for your server pc?. Unless you do this port forwarding is pointless.
1
moneybunny
• 12/23/2011 3:48 am
• Level 33 : Artisan Modder
what you need to do is go to 'ip chicken' get your ip addres and give him it tell him to put :25565 but keep all the files as they are
1

Welcome