How we could prevent skin stealing a bit.

GiganticBlock's Avatar GiganticBlock1/29/14 10:48 am
1 emeralds 287 8
1/29/2014 12:23 pm
Aniiko's Avatar Aniiko
Hello everyone so today i was reading the cobblestone guy's blog about that how good our moderators are and he included that without moderators there would be alot of stealing going around. So i got this idea which would help A BIT against skin stealing. So my idea is following. You know that skin has a picture file. So each skin has it different because skin is different. So for example when someone uploads the skin file that file, colors and everything on that picture would be saved on the data base. When someone uploads exactly same image with same colors because he probaly have stoled it from real author by downloading it, and not everyone edit skins so they cannot get caught by stealing. Some of them simply download skin from real author and upload it. So then for example the stealer uploads it, but because the skin image matches with another skin image on database, servers wouldn't allow him to upload. Or tempban for like 1 day.
GiganticBlock
Level 35 : Artisan Droid

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/29/2014 12:23 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Warrior
Aniiko
Pmc servers would go balistic trying its best to prevent skin stealing.It would be nearly impossible to have a site run like this without glitching and screwing up.Unless its a fairly made site.
01/29/2014 12:14 pm
Level 43 : Master Dolphin
JamieGre
This wouldn't work, because as people above have said, it would cause one single pixel to bypass the system, and it would add strain to the already strained PMC servers. The only way to stop this, would be to have people look at every skin, which wouldn't work. There isn't really a way to stop this kind of plagiarism, however if the plagiarizers were to be banned (or even IP banned) they wouldn't be able to do it again. Remember though, there is always the report button.
01/29/2014 12:08 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Engineer
robotprobot
It would cause a lot of stress on PMC's servers, as it would have to run every skin being uploaded against every entry on the database, and scan every pixel of the image for any changes.
01/29/2014 12:08 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
first way: get rid of every "skin stealer" program on this site
01/29/2014 11:15 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
s0vi3t_on1on
My way of avoiding skin stealers is to simply not upload my personal skin, only my public ones which I don't care about people using, but I will still care about people uploading them claiming that they made them. Also my IGN isn't shown on PMC so no one can use a skin stealer to get my skin.
01/29/2014 11:06 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
Used to be a system on PMC, I believe it to be deactivated/broken atm as we tested it about 6 months ago by downloading a mods skin and immediately reuploading it as is, as well as the amount of people who have done similar but as legitimate theft. One of the problems is that changing 1 pixel would be enough to get by in most cases, and if it was tuned to catch that then it would start to get a lot of false positives and flag/deny legitimate posts.
01/29/2014 11:04 am
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
It's been suggested, before, I think.. But that would put major strain on PMC's servers.
01/29/2014 10:53 am
Level 34 : Artisan Network
Darthmineboy
Change one pixel & done.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome