Minecraft EULA Question

nammerbom's Avatar nammerbom9/21/14 7:40 pm
1 emeralds 802 6
9/29/2014 12:30 am
Azie's Avatar Azie
Ok,

So I was driving in the car home and I was thinking of ways I could just make a little bit of side cash for the hell of it and I was wondering, is it against the Minecraft EULA to sell maps? I'm pretty sure it is so I haven't actually done anything but it would be some useful information to know. By selling maps I mean anything from something created on worldmachine/worldpainter or actually making maps for things like minigames.

Thanks
nammerbom
Level 40 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/29/2014 12:30 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Yes, it's against the EULA to sell maps, mods, and any item or command that affects game-play on servers as far as ranks or kits (purely cosmetic items like hats or pets are fine).

However you can sell your time. If someone pays you to make them a mod or plugin or build them something, they are paying for your time and not paying for you to release a pre-built map or mod for the game.

Edit: What Paril said.

For any further EULA discussion/questions, please refer to the official thread.

mojang-eula-thread-t403978.html
09/29/2014 12:29 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Yes, you cannot sell maps. You can, however, offer yourself for hire to build maps.
09/29/2014 12:24 am
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
Does anyone else have any ideas on the topic?
09/21/2014 7:48 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Follow-up Q&ADoes the EULA still apply for access to user-created mods?

Yes. It doesn’t make a difference who made the mods, or how they were implemented onto your server. All mods require Minecraft to run. You are not allowed to charge for Minecraft features which affect gameplay.

Take that how you wish.
09/21/2014 7:44 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
TeamCraft-Robbie
nammerbomOk,

So I was driving in the car home and I was thinking of ways I could just make a little bit of side cash for the hell of it and I was wondering, is it against the Minecraft EULA to sell maps? I'm pretty sure it is so I haven't actually done anything but it would be some useful information to know. By selling maps I mean anything from something created on worldmachine/worldpainter or actually making maps for things like minigames.

Thanks

99% sure that is against the EULA, but generally speaking, the odds of you getting caught are slim to none. I believe you have to get reported in order for action to be taken. Im not going to promote breaking the EULA but that's just the deal.
09/21/2014 7:41 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Cake
Druxe
It isn't illegal to sell maps. It is illegal to sell ranks or things that affect gameplay on servers.

Quick Response FTW
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome