Pose Theft: Real or Not?!

Hardcrafter's Avatar Hardcrafter9/16/19 2:59 pm
5 emeralds 1.3k 12
9/23/2019 3:21 pm
CeIeste's Avatar CeIeste
Apparently part of the artist community is getting outraged over something called "pose theft" where another artist uses a similar pose to what they used in their own art. By a legal stand-point, "pose theft" is a ridiculous concept because by law, you can't copyright a pose. I'd like to hear all your opinions though!

Poll ended 09/23/2019 2:59 pm.

Hardcrafter
Level 43 : Master Wolf

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/16/2019 9:58 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
"Pose theft" is like "palette theft" for me.

They're both not a thing and people should stop being mad about them. You can't copyright a pose and you can't copyright existing colors.
09/16/2019 6:18 pm
Level 48 : Master Strawberry
memora
Poses are difficult to draw accurately even for the most experienced artist. As long as the art isn’t traced, I don’t think there’s a problem at all. References are important for even the best artists, and I personally feel this is an attack from the people who think “it’s not real art if you use references”, which is totally false.
09/16/2019 6:22 pm
Level 26 : Expert Miner
CeIeste
I agree with memora, unless it's completely traced there's absolutely no such thing... nobody can copyright or claim something the human body can do lol
09/16/2019 9:31 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
Absolutely not worth the outrage. Say my character is holding a pistol in a side profile. There are many shots in movies and comics like that, but they're completely different. If you use a ton of other elements of the picture, then yeah, it could be considered stealing, but sometimes it's hard to tell.
Also, I need my references. Proportion is a tricky son-of-a-gun to manage, and depending on the pose, it can be a challenge to keep the proportions constant.
09/17/2019 3:49 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Sus
amalien
09/18/2019 6:51 amhistory
Hardcrafter
A couple days later, I'm wondering who that one person who thinks that "pose theft" is real & outrageous is and why they have that opinion. I promise I won't make fun of or shame anyone who does believe it to be real, I just want to know why.
09/23/2019 3:21 pm
Level 26 : Expert Miner
CeIeste
Same. I feel like they may have just done it for the memes, but if they didn't, I wanna hear their thoughts. Maybe we're all in the wrong and they're some spiritual god that knows all
09/17/2019 3:33 am
Level 24 : Expert Unicorn
Gibbscraft
Ideas like 'pose theft' are created by people that want to limit other peoples expression. Likely out of fear that theirs will be eventually outshadowed. No artist wants to watch their work inspire the next generation, because it means theirs will become irrelevant, and has in a way died. If you see someone complaining about 'pose theft' ask them whether they asked if they could use a paintbrush.
09/17/2019 3:00 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
Pose theft would be like saying:
"Yeah I know you made a song that has a vers and a chorus, but you can't do that. Because we just copyrighted the right to have a vers and a chorus." –Universal, Sony, WarnerBros, (Any big music company who would be stupid enough to actually do this)
09/17/2019 1:14 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Toast
Laurent_Conlon
No, no, no none of this is real. The only thing that is real is manspreading on the subway. These are real-world problems that we need to focus on. (Since this is 2019, nobody knows if I'm being serious or joking hehe)
09/17/2019 3:09 am
Hardcrafter
Honestly, I really hope you are joking. If manspreading is a real issue then women taking up several spots with bags and purses is also an issue. But no, according to a lot of feminists, men are always in the wrong for everything.
09/17/2019 4:25 amhistory
Level 9 : Apprentice Toast
Laurent_Conlon
I can hardly call them feminists at this point. They look and act nothing like REAL feminist.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome