Why is it that bedrock and java players seem to have it out for each other, why is the debate so strong?

robonate135's Avatar robonate1359/17/21 4:23 pm history
11 emeralds 1.5k 82
9/21/2021 12:26 pm
ADHCOX's Avatar ADHCOX
I will not be accepting hostility here, if you get too hostile, i will remove you.

TL;DR at bottom (too long; didn't read)

The Minecraft community is an amazing one, so many kind, talented and fun people, always wanting to help each other out, teach each other and so on. Then why may i ask you, is the debate of the java edition of the game vs the bedrock edition of the game so strong? It legit kinda pisses me off how hostile people can become when it comes to the platform they prefer, or can afford to play on.

As an example, i have a resource pack out where i took nearly every line of text in the game (from names of items and blocks to the menu and controls), I made it for bedrock, as that is what i play and am used to making texture packs and behavior packs for. Lots of people liked it, but many in the comments said that they would like a java version of the pack, which is entirely understandable. But on one of the comments, someone left a reply saying something along the lines of "shut up you java nerd," (i don't entirely remember the exact wording). I removed the reply, as i did not like the toxicity on something i made for fun, but that seriously annoyed me.

I myself am not innocent, I made a forum saying some of the differences between Java and bedrock that made bedrock harder. And while i was just stating fact, and did not mean to say one over the other, I did have a bit of... something? pride? annoyance? something in the back of my mind as I made it. And any time I see in the snapshots a change to java which adds something is bedrock, lava cauldrons, light blocks, even as far back as leather horse armor, I sorta didn't like it, even though it was parity, I sort of had in the back of my mind that now that bedrock had one less thing that was better than java. it annoys me that i had, and still kind of have those feelings. In part I feel like it is encouraged by the debate, and taking a side, if there's an argument, it is really, really hard not to take a side, and If I may say, it is impossible to not take a side subconsciously. on the other hand, there really shouldn't be a debate.

I have a feeling that it dates back to when pocket edition still existed, computer players had a such better game then pocket edition players, and pocket edition players were looked down on in a sense for their inability to have the computer version. and even though now that difference in game experiences has dwindled to near nonexistence, that sense of superiority lays dormant in the backs of minds, or in some cases, in the forefront of our minds. And when it comes to bedrock players, they feel looked down on, so they get defensive, and when they have any sort of upper hand, like them having a resource pack that java players don't, they like that, getting hostile and pointing it out, as with the comment on my resource pack.

With this debate of Java Vs Bedrock, we as the player base put Mojang in a difficult position, one of hostility in community due to version disparity. If I were in their position, I would feel strongly under pressure, wanting to eliminate the hostility any way possible. The Bedrock edition is often the version plays start on, as it is more accessible, Available on more devices and requiring less system resources to run smoothly, and this is very much thanks to Microsoft, who had the resources and knowledge to bring a game to this level, that a small team like Mojang did not. Java on the other hand is the original version of the game, and the long time players started there. When pocket editon first came out it was nowhere near the level that java was at, and it was factually inferior. But thanks to Microsoft, the bedrock edition of the game was born, taking the official name "Minecraft" away from the now "Minecraft Java Edition". Pocket edition was suited to this job, as it was designed for lower power devices from the start, while the computer version was a mash of many versions which did not have to take in consideration low device power as much as pocket did. So Microsoft made the "inferior" version into the "main" version.

Another thing that sparks this debate is the Marketplace. I have seen Minecraft bedrock edition labeled as the "EA" version of the game, as it has microtransactions. The marketplace is an interesting thing though, It has no effect on gameplay except providing content that modifies the game. It provides customizability in the same way community created Mods do for the Java version, except for a fee. the thing is, those fees are not for just Microsoft and Mojang, they Also go to the creators of the content, who are also community members, excluding the few Minecraft made things on the marketplace. the exact amount that goes to each party (Mojang, Microsoft and the creators) I'm not sure about, and I could not find it, which is probably for legal reasons. The marketplace is a place that Minecraft creators can go to to make a profit from making Minecraft things, just like a youtuber would be doing by selling merchandise. Making a profit by selling thing people enjoy about.

The reason I am defending the Marketplace, while i've been somewhat neutral is because it gets a lot of undeserved hate. Mod creators and map builders on java spend hours, days, weeks, months or even years developing and making what they do, and I would want to get something back from all that if i were them too. Just like how an artist wants money for what they make, same for writers, programmers, or ANY JOB ON THE PLANET. The marketplace is just a means to do that officially through Minecraft. Just saying.

I'm getting off topic. The debate between java and bedrock is not entirely a bad thing. it encourages Mojang to bring parity and probably some other things. But the sheer amount of hostility is ridiculous. I want to get your thoughts in the reply. Why exactly do you think the debate is as bad as it is.

TL;DR:
Why is the debate between the two versions of the game so hostile. why get so angry about what version of the game people enjoy themselves on? What do you think.

I did not mean for this to become an essay, if there is anything wrong, please tell me. If you plan on arguing either side, read the whole post, not just the TL;DR.
I will not be accepting hostility here, if you get too hostile, i will remove you.
robonate135
Level 65 : High Grandmaster System

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Auseawesome
09/21/2021 10:46 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect
history
Mainly because when someone states that their version is worse it hurts something in them sometimes about their childhood with what game they grew up playing. Also major versional differences like the marketplace on bedrock and modding on java. I personally play java but own bedrock too for playing crossplatfrorm. There are bonuses of both but java being the original version means quite a few people grew up playing it and see it as superior because of that.

Edit: Another reason is some argue that the fact you can get bedrock on more devices is an advantage but java players argue about mac only having java and the fact it doesnt try to make you pay lots through marketplace
Raandom
09/21/2021 5:24 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Blueberry
history
I'm just going to say that I can't remember Mojang or MS saying they have any interest in bringing the two any closer. Sure, action speaks louder than words, but there's so many small, unnecessary differences. Why does a crossbow last longer? Why is the font different? Why does cauldron works differently?
Have you checked RetroGamingNow's video on this? I suggest you check it out. He doesn't pick a side, instead ask the same question (why debate) and brings his opinion forward.
Personally, I have both version and I prefer Java original edition by a long shot. And just when I felt like liking Bedrock, I hear differences between bedrock, too. Which returned me to my initial opinion; I don't like Bedrock at all.
That's it, I guess. Not all, but some of what I want to say.
TheDiamondPlayables
09/21/2021 4:02 am
Level 83 : Elite Programmer
history
Microsoft made a name change that changed Minecraft Java from Minecraft > Minecraft Java, and put all the other bedrock editions under 1 name: Minecraft.

This makes the community think that in Microsoft's mind, Bedrock is the superior version
and made all the players who played Java for all these years thinks they're just playing the
knockoff secondhand version, which is somewhat irritating.

It also caused lots of people to worry about the fate of future Minecraft Java.

Like: Why can't Microsoft add "Bedrock edition" to the title there if the both versions were indeed equal? It doesn't hurt the game all that much.

Not gonna say that Mojang did any of this, because technically Microsoft owned Mojang, so some decisions may not even be entirely from Mojang.

There's also gameplay differences, technical differences, a ton of stuff I won't be covering, I just thought the name change is rather interesting as a decision.
ADHCOX
09/21/2021 3:35 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Senpai
'and even though now that difference in game experiences has dwindled to near nonexistence'

There are HUGE game differences, the main reason I use Java is because it's harder! It's near impossible to pvp five piglin brutes with no armor and a stone axe whereas on bedrock you just spam your left click! It might take a long time but if you're competent then it's easy! The survival experience is so much harder for Java, have you ever played Java robonate135? :) (not being hostile just asking). You can't design proper grinders (on bedrock) because of the inabillty to use sweeping edge (this may go against things I have said in the past; it makes it easier to play Java but it just strikes me as awkward)!
King_Artifact
09/20/2021 5:44 pm
Level 27 : Expert Procrastinator
people don't like that you can't cross play and it's not the original version of the game. and each versions have special features and some people want them like putting potions in caldrons
L_Oeuf
09/20/2021 5:15 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Its simple humans will find ANYTHING to hate i play both versions and both are good and again parity is a issue that Mojang is working on so the hate for bedrock is unwarrented and stupid also i find myself enjoying the marketplace content and lots of effort is put in
ADHCOX
09/21/2021 3:38 am
I don't hate bedrock or bedrock players, it's just that I love debating things! :) I will argue for Java (and in some cases against Java) just because I find it fun but I try not to hurt bedrock players feelings. :)
THCDPRO
09/21/2021 11:56 am
Level 21 : Expert Cake
yea sure u don't hate it you litterly said before bedrock is trash
ADHCOX
09/21/2021 12:26 pm
https://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/pmc/discussion/proof-that-bedrock-edition-is-the-true-new-harder-difficulty-634250/ this is the only bedrock v java post I have commented on before, pick out the comment saying bedrock is trash :)
robonate also started this.
ADHCOX
09/21/2021 12:14 pm
history
Not in those words and I did say that this my opinion, and that I won't take the mickey if you are a bedrock player (in other words: I will still respect you as a person, it's not like you are sexist, homophobic or racist).
robonate135 'I will not be accepting hostility here, if you get too hostile, i will remove you.' I see this as hostility. :)
And the last time the was something of this sort I got angry at a guy cos he was insulting me, if you look down this list then it says: I will respect you if you respect me.
The guy (can't remember his name) was just angry cos he didn't realise someone else's post was sarcastic, he got banned then apologised to me and me to him :)
Blacksmith52
09/20/2021 4:15 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Blacksmith
I play both versions and they both have their good sides. However, I have trouble when it comes to Java vs Bedrock because the only way to play with people I know is through bedrock, which I cannot download for my macbook. Minecraft Pocket Edition (my bedrock edition platform) is not nearly as an exciting experience as Java, which arises trouble.

I prefer Java edition, but Bedrock edition is almost as good and the Marketplace is sort of a controversy to me because I know I'm not downloading a virus (It is tested before publishing) but I also know that no regular old joe is going to be publishing stuff on there.

That's all. Thanks,

Blacksmith52
ADHCOX
09/21/2021 3:36 am
Hit the nail on the head! Not as exciting as Java.
ADHCOX
09/20/2021 3:18 pm
Hey, Robonate135, isn't this the second time you've done one of these bedrock/java things? I would have thought you'd learned from the first time... :l
CharTheRedComet
09/20/2021 3:16 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Wizard
I don't think the majority feel the way they do because of any rational reason. But if there was to be some rationale hidden deep behind their external motives somewhere in their subconscious, I think it would have to do with the fact that the most popular version is going to get the most support and the fastest updates. Java players have been ahead in that regard for some time, so they probably don't want to see Mojang/Microsoft switching to support other platforms instead of them. Players on bedrock would probably like to be the first ones to receive updates and so are naturally opposed to the java players.
ADHCOX
09/21/2021 3:40 am
I don't hate bedrock or bedrock players, it's just that I love debating things! :) I will argue for Java (and in some cases against Java) just because I find it fun but I try not to hurt bedrock players feelings. :)
Papority
09/20/2021 3:05 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Skinner
Java has a more authentic survival feel to me. I play bedrock as my main platform but I have played java and I enjoy both. its actually pretty great for me because I could be bored of bedrock and move to java and it would feel like a different experience. according to userbenchmark my laptop is borderline unusable, so java doesn't look pretty at all; 10 chunk render distance and low graphics. Bedrock runs like a dream though, easy 30/60fps. Thats why I mainly play bedrock, because java is for people who have good computers. In combat, I'm not sure what you java players be doing, but us bedrocks players be spamming like finna having seizures on the keyboard. I'm pretty sure most of them use autoclickers though
ADHCOX
09/20/2021 2:49 pm
history
It's not everything, my brother and I both prefer different versions and we both still respect each other for it. He is an insane bedrock pvper and I'm a very good hardcore player (though I say it myself), it's just that the Java mechanics are better than the bedrock ones as well as bandwidth being a bigger issue for bedrock players. I'm not going to list every argument for and against Java but I still respect bedrock player as long as they respect me (although I do feel a certain degree of pity, :D JK)
Edit : I would just like to say that the reason I debate it is because I love debating things, I would do the same if someone argued whether the India or Australia cricket team was better or which TLoZ game was best (BotW).
ZonkedCompanion
09/20/2021 8:20 am
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
Divide and Conquer
Echo4Al8RexCoco
09/20/2021 8:12 am
Level 29 : Expert Musician
Probably because 90% of the world just doesn't know how to settle an argument peacefully.
Pleasenotme
09/20/2021 8:16 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Nerd

“So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it
gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight
of argument against it.”

―John Stuart Mill
Ahuman2227
09/18/2021 11:08 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
I don't understand as well
Bubbler
09/18/2021 6:18 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
Honestly I don't get it either
THCDPRO
09/18/2021 11:49 am
I am i bedrock and java player and i don't really like one more than the other for the quality of the game its more that Java has more minigames and version to choose from and the servers so i feel like java is a bit better
axo lin
09/18/2021 10:21 am
Level 1 : New System
Well, after around 9 years of playing this game, the reason in my way why I hate bedrock is because it's just so... meh. The character creator is cool and all, but the amount of in app purchases makes multiplayer impossible to paly in some ways without paying. on thing that really annoys me is that you have to pay for skins or worlds. That is really crap in my opinion.

Another way that java is better is the fact of the version selection and more indepth modding. Java also has some problems, but overall is just more customizable. That's probably why a lot of people like it aswell. Bedrock on the other hand has a somehow more toxic playerbase than java, and java is pretty darn toxic.

PVP on Java and bedrock is very different - completely different in many ways. I'm not versed in bedrock PVP at all, but I am quite good with java PVP, so I can say what I remember. From completely my experiences, java has more skill based combat. It has at the very minimum 5 styles that I've used, sword PVP in 1.8, sword pvp in 1.9+, axe pvp in 1.9+, pot pvp, bows, and more. with bedrock frrom what I've played I was able to get a 50 winstreak on mineplex, just from spam clicking with an iron sword. I never needed any pearls or eggs or snowballs or anything to pvp, just a sword, and I think the reason for that is a lot of younger children play bedrock, making it easier to play.

But overall, even though I think bedrock is just really bad and money based, it is entirely up to opinion.

And something to remember - no matter what community, there will be an argument between which version is better. Hell, even java does! (is 1.8 or 1.9+ pvp better)

Bedrock isn't that bad if you just want to have fun with friends. Otherwise, kinda meh.
Papority
09/20/2021 3:33 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Skinner
the modding is lackluster, an infant could master bedrock PvP, no off-hand usage, and many other thing are missing from bedrock. I, personally, think that bedrock has a younger audience because not many kids are pc gaming at a young age. everyone I knew when I was around the target demographic age had consoles and their mom's I-phone. most bedrock players are on console or mobile where they can't download java even if they wanted too. The easy PvP can be directly credited to the phone players. timed PvP like java would be too hard for the average joe to learn and a touchscreen.

This is just opinion and I'm not attacking you or anyone else, but people fret over the marketplace way too much. you can still download worlds and skins for free online like java players do. some people find it easier to just buy content straight from the Minecraft marketplace, since they do have appealing maps and skin available. I make my own skins on a regular basis and you can find or make game texture yourself as well.

Each version is good and bad in its own rights. I can't deny that the fanbase is toxic, or that the pvp is child-play, but bedrock is much better for playing with friends (assuming they are java players) and more accessible to households with consoles. My computer is a slug and so bedrock is my main edition.

Because we play different version we will probably never understand the others benefits over our version. even people who play both will be biased toward their preferred version. But please, whatever you do, DO not try to use the server performance as a bedrock disadvantage; at least only look at the featured servers list. all the others are the equivalent of brain-dead.
ADHCOX
09/20/2021 2:52 pm
history
And I would like to add that bedrock was designed to leach money from you, to shake you upside-down over a coffer, whereas Java has infinite resources, can be modded, and is more easily played and changed.
Edit : I've played both games and java is a lot harder to pvp on, which is better for me cos I like a challenge... It actually uses tactics instead running at someone and clicking them to see who has better gear.
THCDPRO
09/20/2021 8:09 am
Bedrock is not good with the purchases but the purchases u make are sometimes a whole new game and you will never be able to get to that point in java and also the new pvp is not the best for everyone and also in bedrock in cubecraft theres more sweaty players and you actually do need to have other things to beat them and also bedrock has free servers to play with friends so thats completly free and has better conection than even the 20 or more GB servers in server hosters so thats better and also ive never seen txic players in bedrock atleast in cubecraft and other servers so in my opinion you are just giving bedrock a bad name but it is as good as java
ADHCOX
09/21/2021 9:00 am
May I add that with the purchases in bedrock it is a whole new game... For a lot of money! Whereas on Java you can go and download RLcraft or Vault Hunters and have a heck of a lot more for no money.
ADHCOX
09/20/2021 2:54 pm
Have you ever played on hypixel? Sweatiest bunch of players ever. Even I can kick people off island on cubecraft bedrock (although I have more trouble on the nether games) and only the hive is bug free the other two decent pvp servers are buggy as hell.
THCDPRO
09/20/2021 3:00 pm
i have i play skyblock skywars bedwars and ext
ADHCOX
09/20/2021 3:17 pm
Then you back down on the whole 'Cubecraft is so sweaty' thing? Orr at least admit that Hypixel is generally sweatier than CC.
THCDPRO
09/21/2021 8:51 am
no cube craft is sweaty for bedrock and hypixel is sweatier
THCDPRO
09/20/2021 8:09 am
and also y do you want skins and therees downloadable maps at some websites for bedrock
THCDPRO
09/20/2021 8:10 am
and some older people also play bedrock
robonate135
09/18/2021 6:15 pm
I'm not asking if one version is beter than the other, it's why people need to get so angry about it.
THCDPRO
09/20/2021 3:01 pm
yes like ADHCOX he just gets angry at me for no reason
ADHCOX
09/21/2021 12:16 pm
history
I'm not angry at you mate :) I'm just debating on the forums. No offence meant and I hope none taken. :)
Belial6
09/18/2021 12:44 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Wizard
history
Sounds like you have some first hand experience. From what I've observed of people, it seems petty tribalism, categorization, broad generalization, and extremism are among the most common psychological traps, not to mention an inability to pick one's battles. In the case of forums for video games that are E for everyone, I wouldn't put it past people to resort to hostile elitism as a coping mechanism for inadequacy problems. If they're really so desperate for validation that they need their version of a videogame to be the best then let them have it. It's best not to take their hostility personally, just remember they simply lack maturity. Don't let them snag you on the same traps, avoid correcting a fool and stay composed. There's nothing else you can do with them.
SUPERIONtheKnight
09/18/2021 12:28 am
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
This is a very interesting question, one that isn't so easy for me to answer. I never really played on the Bedrock version of the game, but I never really despised it either. With that said, I can affirm that what you say is still true to some extent. In the past, I have felt the need to defend the Java edition of the game.

This was not because I think bad of the platform, but probably more so because of some jealousy. You see, when Bedrock edition became simply known as "Minecraft", and Java edition got the tag "Java Edition" applied to the end of it, it raised some concerns. Especially since I have heard Jeb say something about how some time far in the future, Java edition may no longer receive support. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZWBJwpaGcI&t=205s

Did this mean that Mojang planned on doing away with the Java edition of the game? Well thankfully not so far as the game is still receiving a ton of updates with no sign of slowing down anytime soon! Nevertheless this thought was scary because of how attached to the Java edition of the game I was. I never played on Bedrock, and I didn't want to have to change my play-style, as I have already grown to love the Java edition so much. I also didn't want to give up on features/quirks that were exclusive to the Java edition of the game such as mods/datapacks/redstone/etc(and still don't!). I wouldn't be as concerned about that last point if they were also on the other edition of the game in much the same capacity, but there are no signs showing any of those things coming over anytime soon.

So why did I comment on all of that? Well while I never actually got hostile about any of it, I can't help but wonder if some of those who do could have the same concerns, but amplified by 100%. This could explain at least some of the hostility from the java side of the game(but not all).

Now I can't speak much on the bedrock side of things as I am primarily a java player, but from what I have seen I agree with you. To me, it seems like the bedrock players get very defensive and sometimes way too much. Perhaps they see some of the jealousy of some java players claiming that bedrock is inferior, and feel the need to defend it(sometimes to the extreme!).

Personally I feel that crossplay between Bedrock/Java is a must. I know that Mojang has stated that it would be very difficult to do due to the differing languages used(java/c++), but I honestly think it still needs to happen somehow as it would alleviate a lot of concerns. It would also unite Java/Bedrock players together rather than divide us like we are now. The fact that Mojang is so focused on parity between the two versions does give me a slight glimmer of hope that this might happen one day though.

So what do I think of the whole "Java vs Bedrock" debacle? TBH while I was once rather intrigued by it, it seems to be getting rather old/overused/silly at this point. If anyone is truly offended at how someone else is enjoying the game, I ask that person why? There is no good reason to go chasing down people who play the other edition of the game with knives and pitchforks. Just have fun on your preferred version of the game, and let others do the same. Both versions of the game as they now, are equally good for different people.

That is at least, my opinion on the matter.
ADHCOX
09/20/2021 2:55 pm
I just love debating things! :) TBF that's probably just me though.
robonate135
09/18/2021 9:55 am
Thank you! Now full parity and crossplay does seem a bit far fetched, there are a few things that both versions have unique to them that if changed to parity, would mess things up, Redstone for example, due to the large difference in how redstone works between the two versions, if one version changed to parity the other, it would completely mess up any redstone builds built with the mechanics of the other, which would NOT be viable, i think that the best thing mojang could do, is slowly, one at a time, remove the illogical things, quasi connectivity in java, inconsistencies in bedrock, stuff like that. until we get to that point, where both versions are identical, truely identical, there is no conceivable way of crossplay.
DieNowSaur
09/17/2021 10:59 pm
Bedrock is fun and play on the go and java is settling down and also fun
DieNowSaur
09/17/2021 10:51 pm
the best is that when you play on all platforms of MC
DieNowSaur
09/17/2021 10:57 pm
I started on bedrock and moved to java, occasionally player ps4, Nintendo and vr along the way,
Cons of all versions:
Java-if you don't know how to fight (drag butterfly, fishing rods)then you will killed almost instantly
Bedrock-accidental block breaking(on mobile) and hard to fight, it is cross-platform so its "rigged"(I don't know how to put any other word in)
Controller-hard to fight and aim, when you player foer the first time you will probably get the controls wrong.
V.R.-nauseous and it hurts your brain too much.
ADHCOX
I kinda agree with this, it's more of a challenge to play on Java as well as being fairer (I prefer this), however on bedrock mobile my little brother has perfected the art of strafing, block placing, sweating, parkouring, and downright pvping so that he can win three out of every five games of treasure/sky wars (on hive or cubecraft, not on nethergames) that he plays.
robonate135
09/18/2021 9:59 am
You are right, the difference in ability of the platforms of bedrock is a big downside, but i think that with the combat tests that we saw a while back, Mojang is rethinking combat, for all versions. And when it comes to accidental block breaking on bedrock in creative, there is already a solution in the game, i don't know how many people know this, but my sister and i discovered it. if you hold a sword in creative, you cannot break blocks, it's strange.
ADHCOX
Can't do that on Java either, it's so you can hit things with the swords without destroying creations.
DieNowSaur
09/18/2021 11:26 am
yes I know that
DieNowSaur
09/18/2021 11:27 am
its nice
Pleasenotme
09/17/2021 10:41 pm
Not sure how you intend to remove us, considering that you can't delete our replies, but ok.

I think it arises out of human nature, that hardwired tendency to fight fiercely for your allies when you're divided into groups, even if those groups have no basis whatsoever. Add that to the disparity of some features due to the difference of platforms and stuff, and bam, you get hostility on both sides.

The disparity of features makes both features simultaneously proud of their own edition and jealous of the other one, I think.
Pleasenotme
09/17/2021 10:43 pm
It's like if you divide people into two football teams arbitrarily. Regardless of the fact that the teams are completely random, people will tend to support their own team and insist that it's better.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome