Why people use adblockers

ScottDash46's Avatar ScottDash468/31/15 8:28 am
1 emeralds 1.5k 45
9/10/2015 1:21 pm
mineez's Avatar mineez
Dear admins of PMC,

If you want to know the reason why people use adblockers is because the ads, well, let them talk for themselves: -snip-

Please do something about this,
Scott
ScottDash46
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/10/2015 1:21 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
mineez
I think that our ads are not too annoying! I enjoyed looking at the ads and always choose for themselves what they need to look at advertising! Not necessarily block ads! So who knows what we need it is always located in the commercials: D

Sorry My english not good !
09/02/2015 9:58 am
Level 1 : New Miner
NoSpirit
Imagine your cleaning a window or you have a window at home and your enjoying the view and then these things pop up that's why I use adblocker
09/02/2015 9:53 am
Level 47 : Master Architect
Hoogie
I'm surprised adblocker is promoted to be quite honest. I've not used adblocker because I find that seeing the ads is your entrance fee so to speak; it's unethical to bypass. This site is free and needs to be supported somehow.
09/02/2015 7:36 am
Level 32 : Artisan Vampire
LadySpiderwick
I don't want advertisements spamming me every time I come on a website or video hence my reasons to use Adblock
09/01/2015 11:11 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Network
NathanLithia
Some people cant afford themselves to load ads
say we had a 500mb bandwidth limit and you have a video ad loaded on the side
that's like 200kb of video data + 15kb of website data from each page you load.

also these mobile ads make website browsing impossible with the ad taking up all of the screen with an the announcement commands and the ones that open 6 other new tabs

someone needs to create an adblock which pings these ads which give the website their income and keep the page clean for the user themselves.
09/02/2015 5:31 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
you know, that's actually a pretty clever idea. The only ones that lose out are the people that create the ads, and who even cares about them.
09/01/2015 9:36 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
ADsense must be SUPER accurate? How did it know I was searching EVERYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT IT IS ADVERTISING. When was the last time I searched up "MMO"? Heck, I don't even like MMO's! Is it because I searched up Wizard 101 when I was 7?

EDIT: Sorry for ranting, but seriously. Using Adsense as an argument isn't very credible.
09/01/2015 11:10 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Just as with every other thing online, advertisers will sometimes lie or say they belong in an irrelevant category to try and gain more hits to get a wider audience generate revenue. AdSense is as accurate as searching for shoes on a search engine where there's sponsors that are at the top of every list due to the fact they paid to be featured there.

Before going too far off topic, however, people use adblockers because 1) ads annoying, 2) they're everywhere, or 3) a growing belief that because the internet is "free" (after paying for the service) so everything online should be as well due to how easily data is copied and transferred.
09/01/2015 10:12 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
You get on Minecraft related sites a lot, or gaming related, I would assume. MMO's are listed under "gaming" for ads, which is why you would get them. The reason they are very graphic, is because of majority of gamers are male.
09/01/2015 10:33 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
das sexist
I'm posting this on tumblr
09/01/2015 10:37 pm
Killertoad
#meninism #menhaverightstoo
09/01/2015 9:35 pm
Level 41 : Master Fox
simonh2000

The innocence! It's dying! Oh God, the innocence! IT BURNS!
ALSO: Adblocking everything just prevents the site from gaining advertisement money, right?
09/01/2015 8:00 am
Level 31 : Artisan Blacksmith
Erzherzog
Just fyi guys, the "Naughty" ads that I have seen are all for MMOs. I get these because I play many an online browser game. They are the reason I got adblocker. These same ads were also about 75% of the ads I saw on PMC, where they were far more frequently displayed than anywhere else.
09/01/2015 4:15 am
Level 29 : Expert Birb
Auradyme
I've always used Adblocker, but wait.... PMC Ads have... 'naughty' ads? maybe I should disable my adblo- I mean what >.>
09/01/2015 5:47 am
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
as far as I know pmc uses google adsense which gives you adverts based upon your browsing history, if you are getting naughty ads you should learn to clear your browsing history and/or go incognito when using such website

myself i don't have issues with the adverts, sometimes you get a big full screen one but they have an X in the corner so you click on it and it goes

Remember if Planet minecraft didn't have adverts (yeah it looks nice without them) Planet Minecraft wouldn't be a free website anymore and us as users would have to pay for access/certain services, and that takes away the fun of the website
09/01/2015 7:04 am
Ivain
On that note, maybe I should add an exception to my adblocker for sites like PMC that don't have super-obnoxious ads.
As long as I browse the internet, I'll keep using adblocker, if only to block those scumbag sites that have auto-playing video ads. But sites like this, where the ads are just images in the sidebars, should not be a problem
09/01/2015 4:02 am
Level 74 : Legendary Artist
Gealx3
Ads destroy my laptops performance. Even navigating through google sites such as google+ and Youtube is terrible since their too complex for my dumb laptop.
09/01/2015 3:16 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
KJP12
Dollars
LudicrousWhile Dollars is just there trying to be funny c:

I'm completely serious. You're upsetting me right now so I'm using a sharpie to draw over everything you're saying.

I'm feeling better already.

Bye bye screen. You really need to be careful of what you do to the screen. Soon, you won't have a screen!
09/01/2015 2:22 am
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
Ads are a double edged sword.

On one side of the argument I love ads, they're a way to support the things I wanna support without giving them my hard earned money..

On the other hand..

Sometimes the ads are just ridiculous/inappropriate, we're looking at the solution wrong.

Instead of blocking ads(I personally use adblock don't murder me) we should be trying to get the ads changed.

We need to convince the ad people that ads should be appropriate, relevant, and non-invasive.

I mean c'mon people, a video that crashes my browser is WAYY over the top advertising.

Please just some small ads that aren't invasive, or confusing.

LIKE THOSE DAMN ADS THAT SAY DOWNLOAD HERE ON DOWNLOAD WEBSITES. STOP CLICKING THEM PEOPLE, THEY'RE VIRUSES/CRAPWARE/BLOATWARE.

Sorry for the rant
08/31/2015 10:44 pm
Killertoad
PMC uses adsense right?

If that is correct, then people seem to forget how adsense works. Adsense uses your cookies, and history, and use it to make ads that are directed toward you. (not 100% effective, but it's pretty accurate). So if you search up gaming computers, and hardware, you're going to get a lot of alienware/cyberpower/etc ads. If you search up other stuff, that may be bad, guess what kind of ads you're going to get?
09/01/2015 10:52 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
Except for the fact that I can go on this website on a brand new computer and still get strange ads (brand new computer, not signed in to chrome/any other service).
09/01/2015 11:01 pm
Killertoad
I believe then that's when it pulls mainly from user stats. PMC is majority gamers, which is why you're going to get those weird MMO ads. But I'm not 100% exactly how adsense works anymore. I haven't used it in what seems like ever.
09/01/2015 1:48 am
Level 39 : Artisan Modder
GamerBah
Pretty accurate might be a little too gracious for PMC. Many of the ads I see on here are things I have never seen / never need to know. But hey, flaws are flaws.
08/31/2015 10:34 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1452645
[deleted]
08/31/2015 9:22 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
We remove them from the post because it is the user actively choosing to post it here where we can remove something unwanted from the site directly where as the ads on the side are something that we as moderators cannot directly intervene with. It is based on the browser of the person who sees it, which means somehow it is related to something the person searched/typed in their browser and in some ways obscure enough of a connection to cause a person to refuse to believe it. That said if you report the ad to Paril directly he can work to bring it to the ad distributor's attention so it can be removed.

The ads pay for the site to stay up, but we still don't want certain types of ads displayed, and these sorts of things slip through the distributor sometimes and all we can do is report it to them, posting something static that EVERY user sees is far different than what is influenced by your browsing history and some shady ad guy who slipped through the cracks.

Calebach
The staff have a habbit of covering stuff like that up so no one thinks worse about the site.

Enforcing the rules is not the same as covering things up, just like I will be leaving this post while banning you for your ban evasion rather than "covering it up" because you know, ban evasion is bad, and you shouldn't go around telling people what a bad job they are doing when you are evading a ban for violating the rules because all it does is tell me you are bothered by something we did, and new accounts don't just come along having a problem with the mod team "just cuz".
08/31/2015 8:49 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
I don't mean to be "that guy" who goes against the moderator's actions, but I believe that the ad should not have been removed from the main post.
If you guys are "Quite aware of what the ads are capable of being" then what difference is there between it being on the side of the screen and being in a thread?
Why is it for some reason okay for the ads to be profane on the side of the screen, but not in the post?

I know that the ads aren't controlled by the site's moderators, but if it's somehow okay for the ads to be profane, but not for the site's content to be that way, I don't even see why the site should have ads in the first place. THAT, my friends, is why people use adblock.
08/31/2015 8:53 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Calebach
The staff have a habbit of covering stuff like that up so no one thinks worse about the site.
08/31/2015 4:37 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
FantasymasterThe reasons I use Adblock is twofold.
First, I agree with Banksy's thoughts on advertising. If you don;t know what those are, google. I'm not gonna write half a book explaining.

Second, I prefer to support my favorite instances/content creators directly. My favorite youtubers with Twitch get a subscribe, and those with patreon a pledge depending on what I can afford and how much I would miss them.

Lastly, because some sites that sell premium options still want me to see their ads after buying. My policy is: I pay for your service, no ads allowed.
I don't pay for your service, Ads that do not directly interfere with my ability to use your service are tolerated. If they are too distracting or disturbing, though, you get blocked.

im pretty much on the same page, if the adds arnt flashy, annoying and off to the side i dont care if people use them, if there at the top of a page and take up like a good 1/3 of the page when i 1st join i either close the page or blacklist the site for running adds
08/31/2015 4:30 pm
Ivain
The reasons I use Adblock are twofold.
First, I agree with Banksy's thoughts on advertising. If you don;t know what those are, google. I'm not gonna write half a book explaining.

Second, I prefer to support my favorite instances/content creators directly. My favorite youtubers with Twitch get a subscribe, and those with patreon a pledge depending on what I can afford and how much I would miss them.

Lastly, because some sites that sell premium options still want me to see their ads after buying. My policy is: I pay for your service, no ads allowed.
I don't pay for your service, Ads that do not directly interfere with my ability to use your service are tolerated. If they are too distracting or disturbing, though, you get blocked.
08/31/2015 3:09 pm
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
Fanjawi
I think PMC should start looking into advertising gaming/MC stuff. I'm sure alot of people would be willing to advertise. Ofcourse, probably not servers or youtube channels but like other websites.

And eventually don't have the need of the random ads.
08/31/2015 12:22 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Emngi

I take it thats what you did =P
*Sorry the image is so big*

[simg] is your friend.
08/31/2015 12:01 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Engineer
12youri12
Ads will make a website slow, just compare it by enabling and disabling it!
08/31/2015 11:22 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Skinner
Emngi
Dollars

I'm completely serious. You're upsetting me right now so I'm using a sharpie to draw over everything you're saying.

I take it thats what you did =P
*Sorry the image is so big*
08/31/2015 10:47 am
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
InfiniteBlocks
Microsoft Edge has in-built drawers so you can draw stuff on websites with sharpys and colour pens without hurting your screen, so yeah, what dollar said is a good idea.
08/31/2015 10:34 am
Level 37 : Artisan Cookie
oh_wow333
Dollars

haha
08/31/2015 10:02 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
08/31/2015 3:04 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
cakeface
Now THAT, is a good idea!
08/31/2015 12:05 pm
Level 27 : Expert Button Pusher
TheKingOfArkel
haha
08/31/2015 8:46 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
This is a PG-13 site, why are you even linking that?

I'm tired of repeating this over and over again: we have almost no control over our ads. All the site can do is report these kinds of ads to the advertising company. We don't hand-pick these ads, and we can't hand-remove them.
09/01/2015 8:21 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
Cyprezz picked the advertising network because it yields the largest profit. There are more respectable networks that don't allow policy violating ads through.

This is why I use Adblock on here. It is ultimately his fault, since he bears the responsibility along with the privilege.

tldr;

I won't support someone that doesn't support me.
09/01/2015 2:18 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
Oofyeet
Holy god this is a PG-13 site? I'm 16 but I never knew. xD. This looks like a PG site (no offense) You guys keep this website clean.
09/01/2015 8:11 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Mage
HeyItsPaul
PG-13? wot.
Why can't we swear then? xD
09/01/2015 2:24 am
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
I'd drink MTN pepsi, someone go make that happen.

But seriously they keep the site clean, I don't think anyone under 13 should be exposed to the internet at all. I mean, seriously. The internet is essentially the world.

You wouldn't send your kid out the door at 12 would you?
09/01/2015 9:16 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
Oofyeet
They do keep this website clean . But I used the internet at such a young age and I'm not affected.
08/31/2015 10:04 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Ludicrous
DollarsYou could just tape some paper on the sides of your screen where the ads would normally be. Alternatively, use a sharpie to draw happy faces over the naughty parts of the ads on your screen.

You need to be proactive and find solutions.

And that is why people use Adblock. These are the solutions. Yes, we are know that most people use adblock to hide ads, in-fact, people who complain about those ads? We direct them to adblock. We are not against adblock or anything. I mean just take Zatharel's word for it.

While Dollars is just there trying to be funny c:
08/31/2015 8:42 am
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
I use it because I want clean and nice experience on websites without stupid ads popping out. Soon ill need streee ad block glasses as how many ads are there on streets too.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome