Ohhithere1543's Writing Contest - Round 1

Chiaroscuro's Avatar Chiaroscuro12/31/17 11:38 am history
13 emeralds 1.1k 29
2/24/2018 5:39 pm
JediJerboa's Avatar JediJerboa

[Update]: Due to two of the competitors dropping out of the competition for personal reasons, two exceptional writers will be allowed to move on in the competition besides the winner of each full bracket. This may or may not be the writer that is in the incomplete bracket. In any case, 8 writers will move on to the next round.

The Rules

Welcome to the first round of my contest! This competition will follow a traditional tournament-style bracket with 4 rounds. One writer will be eliminated from each pairing in each round. The general rules are as follows:
  1. Entries are due at 12:00 pm GMT on 22 January, 2018. No late entries will be accepted*, however if all contestants submit their entries early, judging and the next round will begin early.
  2. Entries must be exclusively yours. No collaboration is allowed.
  3. Whether you advance to the next round of competition is determined solely by my judgment. The amount of diamonds or favorites on your submission will not count toward your chance of moving on.
  4. All rounds require the submission of a short story of 500-5000 words in prose. Please leave a word count somewhere on your submission. Link your submission in the comments of this post.
  5. Only the text of your story will be judged. Any visuals you use will not be judged, though they will be appreciated.
  6. All submissions must be in the form of a blog post linked in a comment on this blog post before the deadline.

The Challenge

The challenge for the first round is dystopia. Dystopian fiction centers on a society that is somehow destroyed or undesirable, and often takes place in the future.

For this challenge, write a short story that follows a character or a group of characters in a dystopian world. I will give extra consideration to stories that go above and beyond the usual tropes of these types of stories.

The Contestants

The writers of this first bracket are:

JediJerboa vs. Pwr2TheLocalDreemurr

CaelChan vs. grxnt

Riftjaw22 vs. signcraft

JoblessJello vs. Happs

ExtremeSubtlety vs. Mekichi

TheFedoraLord20 vs. DiabolikMidnight

LucianasLucario vs. Orbiter

PantekGames vs. Ivain

You are seeded in the order that I can see your responses on my forum post.

The Judging

The breakdown of judging criteria is as follows:

Originality – Make your stories new and interesting! I want to see you think outside the box, present plots in unexpected ways, write something I’ve not read before.

Quality – Write well and present clearly. Proofread your entries!

Cohesion – Organize your thoughts and finish your stories. Make sure that your story is a complete package as-is, without the need for “Part 2” or other accessories.

Let me know if you would like my in-depth feedback of your work and I will PM my thoughts to you. However, keep in mind that my writing is not perfect and I judge from my perspective as a reader and writer.

If you missed the entry for this contest and would like to participate in a future one, let me know and I’ll be sure to contact you when the next one happens.

Good luck writers!
*If you need more time than is currently allowed, contact me and suggest a new end date. A majority of the writers in the competition must agree to your extension in order for it to be valid.

Tips
  1. Violence is overrated. If you can write a successful story without needing killing or violence-heavy action scenes, I find that much better than a story that relies too hard on action and fighting.
  2. Read some other peoples’ writing (on and off this site) to get inspired! My own writing style was heavily influenced by my friend, a published author.
  3. Think about pacing. Stories that go too fast can seem like a teenage boy’s dream action movie, while stories that go too slow are often boring. Learn from writers you like.
  4. You have your own writing style! Don’t think that copying me will improve your chances of winning, because it probably won’t.
  5. Proofread, proofread, proofread.
Chiaroscuro
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Ladybug

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/22/2018 11:37 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
01/22/2018 6:57 am
Level 1 : New Miner
ExtremeSubtlety
Here's mine, 4347 words, iirc.
my.w.tt/UiNb/sIfAblqGUJ

(Pleeaaaase don't disqualify me for using Wattpad I had a hard time getting the blog to upload right)
01/21/2018 3:46 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Sweetheart
CaelChan
01/20/2018 10:54 pm
Level 21 : Expert Artist
LucianasLucario
01/12/2018 1:17 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
And this is why I need to check the forums more often, when I don't, I miss cool stuff like this.
01/08/2018 2:14 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Toast
SmolFairy
Here is my piece, entitled 'We're writing to the future, Amy' it is 3028 words.

https://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/we-re-writing-to-the-future-amy-ohhithere1543-s-writing-contest-round-1/

Ohhithere1543, I would love your in-depth feedback if you want to <3 I am somewhat of a new writer.
01/08/2018 9:37 pm
Chiaroscuro
I'll send it to you via PM once judging has ended.
01/08/2018 9:50 pm
Level 29 : Expert Architect
Uzal
one upon a time there was a yung boi who was really bored. He was so bored that he went to planet minecraft to troll the kids of the internet and minecraft community with his weird comments.
01/09/2018 7:01 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Necromancer
TsukiaKari
nice
01/07/2018 9:40 pm
Chiaroscuro
You can find my own non-entry/companion piece here
01/07/2018 3:11 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Professor
Eli the Zeratoed
Well dang. I wanted to join into the contest! You can add me for next time, but it really depends if I approve of the theme.

Also, quick question: Are you the only judge or are you going to add some for next time? Just curious about the idea in general...
01/07/2018 3:16 pm
Chiaroscuro
I'm thinking of having whoever wins this one be a judge for next time, but I haven't really sorted that part out yet. I'm a little hesitant to add someone as a judge who I haven't seen writing samples in various genres.
01/07/2018 2:01 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Princess
ieryana
Oh I want to enter this :(
I literally just wrote a dystopia intro piece!
01/07/2018 2:23 pm
Chiaroscuro
I'll add you to my list of people to contact the next time I do this!
01/08/2018 6:21 am
Level 33 : Artisan Princess
ieryana
Yes please!
Definitely up for this :3
01/05/2018 11:18 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
oh goddamit I missed the fact that this exists
01/05/2018 11:29 am
Chiaroscuro
I can add you to my list for when the next one happens.
01/06/2018 3:29 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
if you're also willing to send me a reminder when the next one starts, that'd be great :)
12/31/2017 9:54 pm
TsukiaKari
I’m going to be reading a whole lot of dystopian stories in the future it seems

Also I’m not a judge or a participant i just wanna read xD
12/31/2017 10:26 pm
TsukiaKari
Actually I kinda wanna make a poem on each round that uses the theme. I’m kinda being inspired after ddlc
12/31/2017 10:35 pm
Chiaroscuro
Go for it!
01/01/2018 12:05 am
TsukiaKari
Alright I’m beginning to write up a draft and it’s already starting to be really... weird/deep depending on how you see it. It won’t be rhyming and it’ll be short cuz i don’t have that wide of a poem writing imagination. I will hopefully finish by tomorrow ^^
01/01/2018 12:21 am
TsukiaKari
Never mind got it done right now. With almost the same level of meaning obscurity as DDLC! xD
Da Poem
{Dystopia}

Staring at the Master [EVIL]
Along with everyone else [POPULATION]
Picking up my work tool [GUN]
And beginning to walk [LIMP]

Master tells me instructions [COMMANDS]
I follow through [MIND SLAVE]
Hundreds of people are happy now [D€AD]
I love my job [HATE]

[I LIMP TO MY MASTER]
[HE EXPECTS ME TO HEAR HIS NEXT INSTRUCTIONS]
[I ACT NORMALLY]
[PATIENTLY WAITING FOR THE RIGHT MOMENT]

[HE]
[ACCEPTS]
[MY]
[AXE]

[IN]
[HIS]
[BODY]
[HA]

We [WE]
Are [ARE]
Sad [SAFE]
Now [NOW]

{Utopia}

if you are confused on anything tell me and I’ll add a spoiler alert tab that explains what happened :3
01/01/2018 12:47 am
TsukiaKari
also Vocaloid happiness series reference ;)
01/01/2018 12:22 am
TsukiaKari
Done! It’s in a reply later in this reply thread :3
12/31/2017 12:02 pmhistory
Level 42 : Master Architect
Death Order
12/31/2017 11:45 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Professor
Acier
Gl to all
Planet Minecraft