Advice Please

Jimbug's Avatar Jimbug1/25/22 7:01 pm
13 emeralds 257 31
2/5/2022 6:28 pm
chickenpants93's Avatar chickenpants93
Ok, here's my predicament. I have always loved art and I always will. I am a writer who is into world building and you have no idea how hard that is if you can't illustrate your ideas. I would really like to learn to draw well, but I have a problem. I COULD NOT DRAW TO SAVE MY LIFE. Now, to be clear, I don't mean I just can't get eyes right or I am bad at lighting, I mean I literally have the art skills of a five year old. I have never even drawn a proper 2d triangle, I am serious. I need intervention and advice on how I should learn to draw at least passably. I am desperate.

Thank you.
Jimbug
Level 7 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/03/2022 6:16 pm
Jimbug
I would like to thank everyone for helping me out here, chickenpants93 sonderrr, -Rae- deactivated Jraco Meter especially. I will be sure to post art if I ever get good enough :).
02/03/2022 10:03 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Sheep
-Rae- deactivated
anytime my dude! :D Feel free to hit me up in the ol' dms if you need any more advice sometime lol!
02/03/2022 8:51 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Birb
chickenpants93
its no problem at all! Talking about art is tons of fun and im always happy to help
02/03/2022 7:02 pm
Level 49 : Master Wisp
sonderrr
yo you're welcome!!! i love helping people in their art adventures :DD
01/29/2022 6:10 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Princess
i am cool 69
Huh, u said you could not draw to save your life? You can just type …———… and show it to someone and I guess your life is saved, I think I’m wrong.
01/27/2022 11:56 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Artist
LynnDoesArt
drawing a 3d triangle.
draw ur triangle
draw diagonal lines going up from the points
make another triangle from the three diagonal lines
01/27/2022 11:16 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
chuuwon
You could start with copying drawing online! tutorials are usually of not much help, but to some people they can definitely come out as helpful. watching other people draw and trying to copy their techniques can also help! practice is very important, and skill in drawing definitely doesn't come out of nowhere. good luck! :D
01/27/2022 12:33 pmhistory
Level 13 : Journeyman Unicorn
Rayathedemigod
just keep practicing and make your own style and use reference photo it will help and believe in yourself
01/27/2022 8:58 am
Level 36 : Artisan Sheep
-Rae- deactivated
Heyo! Thanks for tagging me moon :D Okay, so I've been drawing for like, 4-5 years now I think? This is the first self-portrait that I did that I have access to, and this is my latest.
  Now a lot of drawing is just practice, but as someone who was told that for years, I know that's not really what you want to hear. I learned a lot from YouTube videos. Personally, I watched a lot of LavenderTowne and Xabio Arts, but I've also heard really good things about Sycra. The key with these videos is to not just watch them, but do what they're doing, or at least try to, alongside the video. Fair warning, Xabio is not always clean, but he's still not terrible. LavenderTowne is clean, not sure about the content of Sycra.
  Also, try to break things you see down into really simple shapes. There's a lot of simple geometry in everything you see, and the more you look at things in real life and like, flatten them out in your brain and simplify them down to their most basic parts, the better you'll get at drawing. At some point in being an artist, some little switch flips in your head and it gets a lot easier to see certain shapes and stuff in different objects and turn them 2D.

Hopefully that made some semblance of sense xD
01/27/2022 11:57 pm
LynnDoesArt
aa lavendertowne is cool
01/27/2022 12:08 am
Level 22 : Expert System
Jraco Meter
Try tracing art that already exists. Take different pieces you like and combine them into something new. After time, try to incorporate a few of your own ideas into them.

Start with something simple, and keep tackling the art you are most interested in. Try to look for one thing that is different between two artists works, and trace that detail a few times in a few drawing.
01/27/2022 11:58 pm
LynnDoesArt
so gacha?
01/28/2022 1:38 am
Level 22 : Expert System
Jraco Meter
Is that how they are made? Sorry, I am not too familiar with gacha.
01/26/2022 10:54 pm
Level 87 : Elite Deity
Captain_JEK
If you are a writer, how about you describe your worlds so precisely with words that everyone can imagine what they look like?
Then you wouldn't need to draw them. You only need to imagine them yourself and describe what you imagine :)

I thought of Tolkien when I say this, he described literally every tree and stone that lies around in Middle Earth and where they lie. The only drawing he gives you is a map of the world to help you not get completely lost xD
01/27/2022 8:52 am
Jimbug
I am good at descriptions but Tolkien could actually draw pretty good (I read his biography). I am confident in my skills as a writer, but I feel drawing would enhance it greatly. It is something I always wanted to do and I will not give up until I can. A picture is worth a thousand words and I would rather just draw a character and put the picture in a book than spend a long time describing them. Thanks for the response! :)
01/27/2022 10:48 pm
Level 87 : Elite Deity
Captain_JEK
If that's what you think, go for it!
No problem :P
01/28/2022 9:22 am
Jimbug
I will! :)
01/26/2022 3:58 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Papa Enny
Practise guy
Everytime you need practise, try to find some tutorials, try to train your hands(don't hurry, do it for calm)

Even Davinci would do it
No one is perfect
01/27/2022 8:52 am
Jimbug
Davinci started with doodles too!
01/27/2022 12:18 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Papa Enny
Yes
And I doubt that he would stop it if he lived until our times
01/26/2022 2:23 pm
Level 49 : Master Wisp
sonderrr
ayy thank you MoonAstraea for tagging me lol
anyways i have come with some advice which will hopefully help you in your art adventures
i will note that most of this requires a digital tablet and an art program with layers so if you don't have those you can disregard this.
the first thing that i would work on is basic anatomy. you can check out my study blog i did a while ago here, and these (other 1) videos is wonderfully helpful with this kind of stuff. Bluebiscuits has a bunch of tutorials for background studies, finding your art style, anatomy (i linked those), clothing studies, picking colours, ect. Kooleen also has wondeful tutorials i would surely check out. Learning colour theory helps a TON, no matter if you're planning on drawing in only greyscale. videos here and here would have helped me before i had learned it. after a while, just mess around with everything! try new brushes, new lineart styles, ways of sketching, mess around with how you draw anatomy! new ways to do whatever! itll let you get a start on your own style while having the basics fully memorized. maybe even mess around with lighting! i hope this can help you at least a little bit~ i myself still have a lot to learn in art so take this with a grain of salt :) im always open to giving art advice though, so if you need anything else just give me a holler :D
01/26/2022 3:20 pm
Jimbug
Thanks! I am so happy everyone is being so helpful.
01/26/2022 8:58 am
chickenpants93
art takes a really long time to master, but I seriously recommend sticking to it
Its taken my entire life to get to the point I'm at now and I'm far from done lol

As for world building, if you want to draw a representation of what the world looks like, definitely start simple at first, not every tree needs to be super detailed to make a good forest
Look at pictures of real places or even go around drawing places around you, even if you don't improve right away, it helps you to understand how trees and buildings work, don't spend a ton of time trying to get it just right either, it can focus you less on creativity and more on replication if you go for perfection

hope that helps!
01/26/2022 3:19 pm
Jimbug
Thanks dude! I will stay at it and maybe post some art when I get better. I love your work and art style by the way!
01/26/2022 3:27 pm
chickenpants93
eyy thank you!
02/05/2022 6:17 pm
Jimbug
How long have you been drawing?
02/05/2022 6:28 pm
chickenpants93
about 7 years, not counting childhood drawing lol
though admittedly, i only really drew consistently for about 5 of those
01/26/2022 2:55 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Crafter
Sarinilli
My advice: STOP. BEING. HARD. ON. YOURSELF.

Seriously.

Just keep practicing, with basic shapes first if you need to. Have patience with yourself. Learning new skills takes time. No one learns to read and write overnight, or even in a week or so; drawing is the same, if not more difficult.

You could also look into things to do to increase hand eye coordination, try different drawing techniques (maybe super quick pencil sketches, then go over it with pen), or buy some kids coloring books and tracing paper and practice tracing over the linework. Also watch how-to tutorials on youtube and try to follow along with them.

But mostly.. patience, don't give up, don't let yourself get discouraged, and try to keep a log sketchbook with dates so that later on (I mean months down the road, most likely), you can look back and encourage yourself with the progress, even if it's not a lot, it'll be something and should help motivate you to keep going and keep getting better. :)
01/25/2022 7:51 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Princess
MOLTENONI
HUZZAH IM MOLTEN, YOUR PERSON HELPING YOU TODAY

and well, i mean if you want my piece of mind
art is a cultivated skill and all those other words, like, it takes time to polish it
draw constantly, try and experiment with colors, poses, styles, etc,
eventually you'll find something you like and stuff

that and ofc like, if you start drawing and stuff when youre older i know a lot of people like, feel like, they should be better already and stuff
again, it's a cultivated skill, take your time, try and finish your drawings, make what you like,
take inspiration from people if you need it on certain things like eyes or more misc stufff

again, take your time, learn the basics first, dont rush, eventually everything will come together, as long as you put enough will into it

hope this helps C:
01/25/2022 8:23 pm
Jimbug
Thank you very much. :)
01/25/2022 7:27 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Magical Girl
MoonAstraea
Here are some artists that may be able to give you a little bit of advice: chickenpants93 mcrjellyfish sonderrr MOLTENONI -Rae- deactivated

I've got many more in mind I could recommend, but I wouldn't wanna ping too many people at once, haha.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome