Are Lego sets worth it?

Hedgehogs2931's Avatar Hedgehogs29317/9/16 2:03 pm
7/31/2016 2:36 pm
emilyPx's Avatar emilyPx
(Yes, I'm not dead. I just don't have time to get on that much now. XD)
Are Lego sets worth it? I really want to get a Lego Minecraft set (it's the Jungle Tree House one) but it's pretty expensive, around $60 to $70. Should I get it? It seems really cool and I love jungles, tree houses, and ocelots (there's one in the set) (as you can tell from my name ) But before when I had Lego sets I would just build them once and store them away and end up losing lots of parts so I'm not sure if they would be wasted on me. BTW my birthday is in August so I could request it for that.
Hedgehogs2931
Level 15 : Journeyman Toast

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/31/2016 2:36 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
emilyPx
without doubt they are
07/10/2016 4:51 pm
Hedgehogs2931
Thanks so much ^-^ I never thought that this many people actually took the time to read and post their opinion
07/10/2016 4:34 pm
Level 42 : Master System
idaidaida
Most licensed sets like the Minecraft sets and also all LEGO's movie themed sets are expensive since they need to pay up for the license and all the companies involved in those licenses. You'd better be off buying some non-licensed sets like City sets, as those aren't licensed and are much cheaper. Or maybe you could buy one of the smaller sets in the Minecraft range.

My best tip would be to check if there's any secondhand sets online for cheap. Go on Ebay or the equivalent of that in your country, and search for "lego [set number]", you'll easily find sets, and you can sort by price.

I've also found that classic LEGO sets like the vehicles from the legendary Town theme work wonders on shelves. They're not expensive at all (unless you're gonna go down the MISB route), and they have a lot of charm. Not Minecraft related, but cool anyways.

Oh, and maybe check Bricklink. There's a lot of stores that sell individual parts or figures of sets individually - search around and see if anyone's got the Minecraft stuff. If you really want a LEGO ocelot, you could always buy it seperately from there.
07/10/2016 4:00 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Meme
CroatiaTheMan
Really depends on how much you'll use it, I have a whole box of Legos and barely ever use them so not such a good idea I must say in my case as eventually you get bored of it, just like everything else .

Oh and your birthdays in August? Can you tell me what day, mine's in August too
07/10/2016 12:07 pm
Level 22 : Expert Dragonborn
MirrorMelody
I think that the only reason I'd buy minecraft-themed Legos is to have a constant reminder of the irony. Minecraft was pretty much based on legos and building blocks, but unlimited amounts of them in an electronic world. Now they've made legos based on this game. Some find it annoying, I just find it funny.
07/09/2016 11:35 pm
Level 82 : Elite Technomancer
Drazile
I only ever by lego if the sets are on sale for at least 30% off, because that takes it down to a reasonable price
07/09/2016 11:17 pm
Level 21 : Expert Architect
CorkyW
It really comes down to what you like. Look at the Barbie crowd or Beanie Babies. I've seen folks pay unreal prices for some of those. Yes some of those become collectibles and MC Lego sets surely will not, but the point is it's worth it if you're that much into collecting MC items. I personally would like to have every MC set once I build the shelving in my house to display them.
Of course I agree that the prices are on the high side, stupid high IMO, but I enjoy MC items enough that I'll pay for each as time goes by.

I'm still debating if the MineChest are worth the money. So far the Beta box looked disappointing from what I seen online.
07/09/2016 10:57 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
No, I don't think the big lego Minecraft sets are worth it, but the mini chunks are awesome decoration.
07/09/2016 10:22 pm
Level 27 : Expert Network
Pines
$70 dollars for a toy that you'll eventually get bored of? It's a giant NO for me.
07/09/2016 8:12 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
I know OP has made their choice, but I just wanted to comment on how much LEGO is ramping up their prices. Roll back about 7-10 years and LEGO was dirt cheap, high quality and they really really put effort into making a cool design from a limited set of approved parts.
Now, LEGO just invents a whole new piece for a set that only really works for that set. Just feels like they are cutting corners and not thinking about cool ways to use existing pieces.
07/09/2016 10:51 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Crafter
jalen1563
I totally agree. For example the battle on takodana or whatever it's called force awakens set is 100 something, and only comes with 5 figures and a temple. For the price I would say they should of added a vehicle, or maybe Leia or han or maybe even poe
07/09/2016 10:58 pm
JozyP
Remeber though that it's incredibly difficult to compete with online stuff now. Lego might go out of bussiness.
07/09/2016 8:08 pm
Level 21 : Expert Nerd
Aeternalis_
3D printing will slowly kill of legos in due time.
07/09/2016 7:59 pm
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
There is absolutely not logical person who can say that legos are worth the price they're being put at.

A 100$ lego set will really cost around 30 cents or less to make. It would be more worth your time to design a metal lego mold and learn how to make homemade legos out of cheap plastic you can get online.
07/09/2016 11:02 pm
JozyP
They use quality, non-dangerous plastic. Plus, the design is patented and is ideal for making bricks stick together. Lego is definitely quality, unlike Mega Blox or whatever.
07/10/2016 9:41 am
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
Plastic is cheap no matter how "quality". And you can make patented products for yourself as long as you don't sell them.
07/09/2016 7:22 pm
Hedgehogs2931
Okay people, I made my choice- I'm not buying the $70 Lego set. It's better spent on some other merchandise. Hmm, maybe that MC ocelot jacket I always wanted?
07/09/2016 6:33 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1389843
[deleted]
07/09/2016 6:12 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
I'd love something like that to put on a shelf, but the prices on any LEGO sets anymore are outrageous. If you REALLY want it, then sure, it's worth it. But if you aren't going to get $70 worth of enjoyment or usefulness out of it, then it isn't.
07/09/2016 6:18 pm
Hedgehogs2931
Yeah, I would want to put it on a shelf but I'm not sure if I would actively play with it.
07/09/2016 5:36 pm
Level 82 : Elite Fox
CraftyFoxe
It's not worth it for me, the whole reason I bought minecraft was because I had infinite blocks to work with.
07/10/2016 10:45 am
Level 20 : Expert Hunter
Monotone
^^^ xD

I would love to own all the Marvel sets, but they're so ridiculously priced that I refuse to spend my own money on them.
07/09/2016 6:14 pm
Hedgehogs2931
Hah, that's true.
07/09/2016 3:20 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Anxiety Opossum
To put it shortly, yes, LEGO sets are expensive. The question of worth really comes down to how much use you're going to get out of them. I have a several sets from back in the mid 2000's, and I still use them today, so I consider them worth it to me, but that's just how I see them.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome