Can't decide... :/

kacboy's Avatar kacboy1/11/11 12:30 am
2/26/2012 8:15 pm
Pinkie_Pie12570's Avatar Pinkie_Pie12570
Ok, here's the diagnosis. I have a phone, I'm paying $20 a month for 2G data that's ok (only mobile sites).

I'm sick of paying for it so now I can't decide, should I get an 8GB iPod Touch (cause I'm not paying for an iPod thats as much as a PS3) or a Netbook for the same price or cheaper?

Thanks for any help!
~ kac
kacboy
Retired Moderator
Level 53 : Grandmaster Taco

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/26/2012 8:15 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Warrior
Pinkie_Pie12570
((You held this at the back for a year... Post of the most epic revival ever))

I would have got iPad...
01/29/2011 6:11 pm
kacboy
K I ordered my Netbook! Will get it in about 2 days.
01/12/2011 7:58 pm
kacboy
I found one I can't remember the site... my dad told me but I forgot... D:

EDIT:
Found it! NCIX I might wait for a nice sale.
01/12/2011 7:05 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg
Cyprezz
Hmm, oh yah. Going to be tough to get a netbook at that price. Dell's cheapest is 299 and I like to think a mega corp like that is able to have cheap prices.
01/12/2011 6:59 pm
kacboy
K I guess I'll get a Netbook. I said in the OP I would get one about the price of an iPod so its around $250.
01/12/2011 6:42 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Wizard
Zaralith
I am iffy about installing something like MCRegion because, like people have said, there is that tiny possibility that you will break something horribly
01/12/2011 5:41 pm
Cyprezz
Not to get too far off topic, but installing MCRegion will only help you in Single Player. A server can install MCRegion though and it should help everyone that's online.
01/12/2011 1:00 pm
Level 40 : Master Musician
c danovich
downloaded and installed both(easy instructions yay)
i haven't noticed the real difference, but i haven't played long with it yet
i like the part it says about the world compressing, it takes too long to make backups IMO
01/12/2011 11:50 am
Cyprezz
I have no tips besides follow the instructions in the threads closely. My quad core, dual gfx card desktop computer makes the same airplane noise while playing Minecraft

Notch did mention the way the game is saved is a high priority task, maybe it will be part of this Friday's update.
01/12/2011 8:59 am
Zaralith
hp with the touchscreen. so shiney, makes things like bejeweled so easy.
01/12/2011 8:57 am
Cyprezz
I'd defiantly go with a netbook over an iPod. I'd honestly look into getting a Dell. Netbooks are really difficult to customize both during purchase and forget about upgrading after. Alienware is Dell but you don't need one of those. While Alienware computers are powerful, you're also paying a premium for the brand name and they tend to be BIG laptops. I doubt they have an Alienware netbook, that would be like injecting a mouse with steriods .

Recommendations:
Look into Dell and/or browse newegg.com.
When building your netbook, make sure you upgrade the graphics card. If you can't, then it's probably not a brand you want. It may be tough to get a powerful netbook. My gf got a HP netbook this year, upgraded the gfx card and it barely runs Minecraft with lowest Fog setting. Granted, Minecraft is NOT optimized at all. It may be able to run it after Notch starts optimizing the game. Back to your netboook, If you leave it with the generic factory graphics card, you will be sorry. Next priority is RAM, get at least 2-4Gigs if possible. It's better to get more during time of purchase. After that, if you have some $ to spare, priorities are CPU and then more hard drive space. All concerns of upgrading go out the window if you don't care if it can play games. Any netbook will work fine for browsing the internets.

Unrelated but... related:
There are 2 new Mods aimed specifically at optimizing Minecraft and increasing FPS.
MCRegion - Optimizing the way Minecraft saves chunks
Optimine - Does a bunch of things Boasts around 20FPS increase.
01/12/2011 11:20 am
c danovich
o.0 i definately gonna take a look into those.
if i play MC on my laptop it goes to 83 degrees+ in 2 minutes:P
so i created a energy setup(dunno how it is called, but you have standard like high preformances, balanced, energy saving etc) that limits the procesor to 50% of it's capabilities, so it stays at a cool 70 degrees.(i hate the fact that my laptop goes into flightmode at 80 degrees, you know what i mean:) it makes a sound like it is going to be airborne.
but using that makes minecraft lag, so i need those optimalization programs:)
any tips on how to install them? i heard mods are a pain to install
01/12/2011 5:32 am
Level 43 : Master Enderdragon
Skullcandy2010
well the only other type of netbook i would suggest is an alienware but there even more expensive
01/11/2011 9:52 pm
Zaralith
Ya, stay away from mac. Only reason being that same system specs on pc is 1/2 price or less. nothing against the software, just the brand. netbook.
01/11/2011 10:11 pm
kacboy
My main compy is a Mac, there just soo expensive. >.<

Ok
iPod: 0
Netbook: 4
01/11/2011 3:15 pm
Level 43 : Master Enderdragon
Skullcandy2010
Mac finance, get a good spec mac book air for £20 a month, They are so epic. + all of the minecraft hacks work pretty well now snow leopard update is out
01/11/2011 6:54 pm
kacboy
I'm 13 and I got a paper route, I can't afford a Mac. D: Or I could but that's all my money gone. I'll take your pick as a netbook.
01/11/2011 2:05 pm
c danovich
netbook ofc
minecraft!!!!!!! ftw!!!!!
yeah!!!!!!!!
MC!!!! minecraft!!!!
whooo!!!!!1one!!!!!

sorry i got carried away:)
01/11/2011 3:30 am
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Ryushi_H
I'd say the netbook, if your spending any length of time on it.

Ipod T's are hectic on the hands.
01/11/2011 1:25 am
Level 1 : New Miner
phillaholic
Those devices are pretty different. What do you see yourself using this new device for?
01/11/2011 10:01 am
kacboy
iPod: Usual stuff; music, games, Wi-Fi browsing, etc.
Netbook: Internet, Minecraft, other stuff I do on the compy.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome