data structure packs - Need some helplive_help

2 emeralds4 replies121 views
16bitmap started 4/24/20 7:31 pm
JDawgtor replied 5/22/2020 4:10 pm
Hello there!

My name is 16Bitmap. I'm kind of new to all this datapack creation and also to the planet minecraft forum as you might have seen.

During this strange period of COVID I'm trying to learn some stuff that I've always wanted to learn. Create custom data packs.

I've chosen to start with the thing I would like the most and then work through everything I need next to that and maybe more. Structure packs.

So I want to add more structures that I've made myself to the minecraft world. I know there are a few packs that already do this and I'm using them as my example to learn from. Tho, when I don't know what I'm reading it tends to be a bit hard.

I would love it so much if someone would be able to help me a bit here and there with some code or maybe jump in on the project.

Things I'm stuck on right now:
- How do I control the amount of spawning in the world?
- How do I let the structure know if it can spawn underground/on the surface/floating/halfway underground?

Packs that I'm trying to learn from:
- https://www.planetminecraft.com/data-pack/fancystructures-for-1-14-wip/
- https://www.planetminecraft.com/data-pack/your-structures-datapack/
- https://www.tyruswoo.com/minecraft/ (Tyruswoo game changer datapack series)

I would love to hear from you guys. I'm available here or on discord if needed. You can send me a PM or just react here!

Thanks a lot!

-Bit
Posted by avatar
16bitmap
Level 40 : Master Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

4 replies

04/29/2020 7:04 am
Level 46 : Master Modder
Oskyyr
Oskyyr avatar
Hey i also worked with random generation and custom structures and will post my knowledge about this.

As much as i know you can't change the world generation at all.
The datapacks summon random armor stands with custom names and tags to detect them later.

Then you run a function which detect these armor stands and use

/execute @e[​name="dungeon"] run function datapack:generate (example)

to place at the position of the armor stand structure blocks and redstone block to active the structure block.

The structure block load pre-build structures into the game.

So first of all you build the structures you want to add.
Store them in structure blocks.

create "random" amror stand generator functions

create armor stnad detection functions

create generate functions

I personally added in the default structures from minecraft armor stands so my
dungeons always generate when the minecraft world generation place the structure.
05/09/2020 5:50 pm
Level 40 : Master Artist
16bitmap
16bitmap avatar
I've found out I'm way too much on a beginner level to start programming a whole new datapack for myself. I have found someone that has a datapack where I can add my own structures to.

So it does the armour stand spreading thing for me and I do the buildings and how and where they spawn.

And while doing that learning something about how to write the code. So thats nice!

Thanks for the help but untill I'm ready for the big code stuff I'm gonna use that stuff!
05/22/2020 4:10 pm
Level 40 : Master Unicorn
JDawgtor
JDawgtor avatar
If you want help with data pack development, I have a few youtube channels I recommend for you.

-Cloudwolf (explains very advanced topics pretty simply, and has some begginer stuff too)
-Code Zealot (has tutorials on the very basics of data packs and commands)
-Timber Forge (has tutorials on data packs meant to be for custom "mods", i.e custom blocks, custom mobs, custom items etc.)
-BronGhast014 (lots of data pack, and resource pack tutorials)

Hope this helped :D
04/29/2020 11:59 am
Level 46 : Master Modder
Oskyyr
Oskyyr avatar
u can use /spreadplayers to spread armor stands and this make the "random" feature
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2021
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome