Sign this Petition to Stop the EULA

CanadianHatchet's Avatar CanadianHatchet4/30/16 6:39 pm
4/30/2016 10:32 pm
Midnight's Avatar Midnight
Sign this Petition to stop the EULA from ruining Minecarft! You DO have a voice in this matter, we all do! This is Our game! This is ITS future! http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save ... -from-eula
CanadianHatchet
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/30/2016 10:32 pm
Level 46 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Midnight
Like someone already said. This is their game, the EULA has been around for years but it was recently enforced and that's when users found out about it.

The topic itself isn't bad. But its already turned into something that we don't want here, a flame war.
04/30/2016 8:23 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Network
CastleCraftOfficial
Hey, fairly successful (~100 player peak) server owner here.

I really don't see why Mojang feels the need to enforce the EULA. Even though it's well within their rights, I really can't think of any benefits on their side. It's not as though they're losing money when players donate to servers. In fact, the only good thing, in my eyes, is that they're trying to kill pay2win. While I do think pay2win servers are bad, it's ultimately the player's choice whether or not they donate to or play on a server (by the way, my server is NOT pay2win, even though there are perks that could be seen that way, I've balanced it properly). By enforcing the EULA, Mojang is driving away small, kid friendly server owners. As the name suggests, a kid-friendly server is mainly going to be populated by children. Since financially stable adults are the ones most likely to donate for the sake of it, or for cosmetic items, those small, kid-friendly servers (with 1-3 players on at any one time) are going to be punished heavily for their small player-base. Because server costs are dictated mostly by the number of complex, tick-intensive plugins and not actually the number of players (although players do factor in), a server with good performance, room to grow, and 50 plugins is going to cost around $40-$50/month. For anyone trying to make his own server, that's a pretty steep cost, especially considering it's only a hobby; new server owners rarely make that much money in their first six months or so. The bottom line is they're making it more difficult for kids to start their own servers. I was twelve when I started mine, and it actually motivated me to learn Java last spring. I doubt I would have kept it going if I didn't start getting donations, though. It's not all that fun running a server to make people happy when you don't actually get returns.

The only reason I can see Mojang doing this is to save face. After making the post about their EULA clarification in the summer of 2014, nothing has happened for almost two years, and I'm quite sure Microsoft started asking questions. To start enforcing it one and a half years after you first said you would seems a bit odd.

*EDIT* Don't get me wrong, even though I don't agree with them enforcing it, I do recognize that there's not much anyone can do to change it. I'm just speculating on the future and stating my opinion . Also, Blinque, that's not a good comparison. When you steal from a bank, you're actually taking someone else's money. When you're making money from a pay2win server, you're not taking money from anyone else. Again, it's the player's choice to donate and play on said server.
04/30/2016 8:21 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
TylanderGD47
Dude, Im not entirely sure why you are doing this, Mojang created the game, they can do whatever the heck they want with it. (ive seen the post in minecraft forum as well). They have the right to enforce it, and change it, if necessary.

and a question: Do you like being beaten in PvP by someone who payed REAL money to get equipment effortlessly, or by someone who worked thier tail end off to get it? (sorry if i sound rude to anyone, its where i was raised.) Im all for them buying it with an in-game currencty (like in iConomy bukkit plugin) but real money?

I get servers need money to run and all, but Mojang is fine with donations, and buying COSMETIC stuff (like being able to put blocks on your head or colored chat or colored/uncolored nicknames...im pretty sure they are anyway. But there are excellent servers who dont need money, and still have great communities.

It may seem like im on a side, but i am not. this is what i know and am stating it.

yes, this is a copy of what i said on minecraft forum. why did i copy it? so i can get the point out to people more efficiently. as Ren3DM stated, its thier intellectual property.
04/30/2016 8:07 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
CanadianHatchet if you want to take it up with the legal system then good luck winning that battle. The EULA is set in place to stop people from making money from things that give advantages to one player that could make the game less fun for the other person. It DOES NOT MEAN that the server can't make money it means that the server can't make the server play to win like giving the player a sharpness 10 diamond sword with fire aspect 10 but it THE SERVER CAN GIVE cosmetic items like a dirt hat or a colored name that doesn't change the way the game is mean't to be played. Stop complaining this forum is not going to get anywhere and Mojang doesn't have to listen to a petition to get rid of the EULA it is not a legal binding document demanded by court order. If you say if Mojang changes the EULA and people aren't gonna buy Minecraft anymore then you are wrong. Since people will keep buying Minecraft.
04/30/2016 8:08 pm
CanadianHatchet
Forget doing it the legal way and instead think about doing it the people's way
04/30/2016 8:21 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
Jmal116
Not to be a pessimist here, but given the amount of backlash you're receiving and the amount of signatures the petition actually has, I wouldn't exactly call this "the people's way"
04/30/2016 8:13 pm
Level 20 : Expert Hunter
Monotone
Look at it this way---

You need some money. The legal way to get money is to get a job. But you don't want to get a job, so you rob a bank instead. Is it legal? No. Is it morally right? Also no. Sadly my friend, with that kind of logic, you won't get far.
04/30/2016 8:17 pm
Konrad
I agree. Also this example is also good. You want to get something. The legal way to get it is to get a job or ask a friend for money. But you don't want to get a job or ask a friend for money, so you rob a should instead. Is it legal? No it is Illegal. Is it morally right? Nope. CanadianHatchet just stop complaining its not gonna get you anywhere.
04/30/2016 8:10 pm
Konrad
Stop thinking about the non-legal way. Mojang won't give care if people sign the petition. Mojang will care if people stop playing the game and stop making money. Think about it the legal way it is Mojangs Intellectual property that means they could do whatever they want if their game.
04/30/2016 8:05 pm
Monotone
CanadianHatchet
Heroes_Of_IllyricumTheres no argument. Honestly, you guys are fighting something you don't understand.
Take a lookie:

Mojang can do whatever they want with servers and users who break this agreement. It's been around since day one, and there is a part that specifically says they can update the EULA and you must still comply with those editions.

More importantly, Mojang has indubitably had much smarter people than anyone else on this game with degrees in law look over this EULA, detail it, and make sure that they can enforce this if they want to.
Yes, legally Mojang can enforce the EULA but it will ruin the multiplayer aspect of the game. Players wont be able to play on the servers they want because the servers will be shutdown due to no income. Players will LEAVE Minecarft and cut the player count in at least half

That's written under the assumption that every server out there is disregarding the EULA. Which not every single one is.
04/30/2016 8:03 pm
Monotone
CanadianHatchet
Zitzabis
Darkshooter86
I misunderstood a little earlier but this furthers my initial point that no matter the reason or how the EULA is written for what purpose, you have 3 choices. 1. Agree to it and adhere to what it says is okay and not okay and whatnot. 2. Continue going against what it says and risk being banned and your server shut down. Or 3. stop playing Minecraft all together due to what you don't like about the Eula...

You realize that in breaking the EULA you are doing something illegal right? You are making money off of someone else's intellectual property, that's not ok.

You make a game, people then take it and start make money off of it, something that you invented. Are you ok with that?

The EULA literally does nothing wrong and is not illegal. It is not harming the community.

My point is, your petition is useless. Because you're playing the game, meaning that Mojang will just say "Hey, this guy legally agrees to the game." and throw it out. If you want to make a petition, you need to do it right. And in this case, you will need to stop playing Minecraft to achieve that.
Forget if its legal or not and think about if its morally right at this point in Minecraft to start enforcing the EULA

Is it morally right to profit off of someone else's work? Is it morally right for someone to steal someone else's skins and gain subscribers and views? Is it?

I didn't think so. These servers and their owners are receiving a well deserved punishment for neglecting the EULA.
04/30/2016 7:56 pm
CanadianHatchet
Heroes_Of_IllyricumTheres no argument. Honestly, you guys are fighting something you don't understand.
Take a lookie:

Mojang can do whatever they want with servers and users who break this agreement. It's been around since day one, and there is a part that specifically says they can update the EULA and you must still comply with those editions.

More importantly, Mojang has indubitably had much smarter people than anyone else on this game with degrees in law look over this EULA, detail it, and make sure that they can enforce this if they want to.
Yes, legally Mojang can enforce the EULA but it will ruin the multiplayer aspect of the game. Players wont be able to play on the servers they want because the servers will be shutdown due to no income. Players will LEAVE Minecarft and cut the player count in at least half
04/30/2016 7:53 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
CGBrothers
Theres no argument. Honestly, you guys are fighting something you don't understand.
Take a lookie:

EDIT: Okay, someone is arguing that it is morally wrong. Now hold up. Is it morally right to make money off of someone elses creation? So, if it isn't morally right to make money off of someone else's creation, is it morally right to stop the person/people who are committing these immoral deeds, and more importantly, stop them in a completely legal and well-known about way, that was announced to the people committing these deeds atleast one week in advance?
04/30/2016 7:52 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Darkshooter86
The whole point is, Mojang HAS the right to enforce the EULA however and whenever they please. Not about being morally right. Besides, if they initially put it in there or later on, wither or not it was enforced then or now, you can protest all you want, you are not the owner of the game or its property. So there for you have to agree and play by said rules of the EULA or you will be banned and what not. Legal action could be taken as well as one commented.
04/30/2016 7:57 pm
CanadianHatchet
Darkshooter, if you could vote yes or no and your decision make the deciding outcome. Would you vote to keep the EULA or get rid of it. All legal matters aside
04/30/2016 7:50 pm
CanadianHatchet
Zitzabis
CanadianHatchetForget if its legal or not and think about if its morally right at this point in Minecraft to start enforcing the EULA

Yes. It's their game and it's their property. If you have a problem with it "morally" then take it up with the legal system that says "It's not ok to make money off of someone else's property." Think about that morally.
If Mojang cared so much about losing money they would have enforced the EULA years ago, not wait until a multi-billion dollar deal with Microsoft to whine and fuss over a few million
04/30/2016 7:48 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
A lot of you are misunderstanding the EULA.

It simply states that you cannot sell in-game content which gives a player an advantage. It is NOT saying you outright can't make money off of servers - they did a huge blog post a few years ago explaining ways people CAN make moneys off servers - and it even includes things such as custom names, hats and so on (but not capes!)

For those big servers it's easier than ever; AdSense on their forum would rake in the cash to run the server and more. I have AdSense and earn more than double what my high-end server costs, and my average playercount is about 15.

Servers claiming they NEED pay2win to survive are lying to you, and are outright greedy.

Basically, if the player will gain an advantage over another player by using real-life money, it's not allowed.
Giving a player diamonds = not ok.
Giving a player a block affixed to his head? Go for it.
04/30/2016 7:50 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Very much this! This gives the precise meaning to what the EULA actually affects. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
04/30/2016 7:47 pm
Zitzabis
CanadianHatchetForget if its legal or not and think about if its morally right at this point in Minecraft to start enforcing the EULA

Yes. It's their game and it's their property. If you have a problem with it "morally" then take it up with the legal system that says "It's not ok to make money off of someone else's property." Think about that morally.
04/30/2016 7:44 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
SirDenerim
I'm glad they're enforcing it, makes servers a bit less pay to win, jesus. EULA is a good thing. I'd rather not get owned by someone who PAID to get better stuff than me without effort.
04/30/2016 7:43 pm
Level 48 : Master Nerd
that2guy
CanadianHatchet
Zitzabis
Darkshooter86
I misunderstood a little earlier but this furthers my initial point that no matter the reason or how the EULA is written for what purpose, you have 3 choices. 1. Agree to it and adhere to what it says is okay and not okay and whatnot. 2. Continue going against what it says and risk being banned and your server shut down. Or 3. stop playing Minecraft all together due to what you don't like about the Eula...

You realize that in breaking the EULA you are doing something illegal right? You are making money off of someone else's intellectual property, that's not ok.

You make a game, people then take it and start make money off of it, something that you invented. Are you ok with that?

The EULA literally does nothing wrong and is not illegal. It is not harming the community.

My point is, your petition is useless. Because you're playing the game, meaning that Mojang will just say "Hey, this guy legally agrees to the game." and throw it out. If you want to make a petition, you need to do it right. And in this case, you will need to stop playing Minecraft to achieve that.
Forget if its legal or not and think about if its morally right at this point in Minecraft to start enforcing the EULA

They should have enforced it when they first made it. If they never enforced it there would be no point in making it in the first place.

My one question; people could still donate to the creators of the server (without getting any thing in game)? I don't see why that would be bad.
04/30/2016 7:37 pm
CanadianHatchet
Zitzabis
Darkshooter86

04/30/2016 7:32 pm
Zitzabis
Darkshooter86

04/30/2016 7:27 pm
Darkshooter86
ZitzabisGood grief...it's one of these threads again... I thought they had ended a long time ago.

The EULA is a legal document created by Mojang and supported by multi-national laws. It can not be undone provided it is created legally and fairly (which it has). What you are trying to undo, is something that has existed since Minecraft was created.

There are two paths to this.
While you play Minecraft, you agree to the EULA and therefore, you have no stance to say no to it since you are legally agreeing and bound to it.
If you wish to counter the EULA, you need to legally disagree with it and by doing that, you will need to stop playing Minecraft.

Take it or leave it.
The EULA is here to help believe it or not. I don't think you understand what it's actually doing and what's happening.

04/30/2016 7:23 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Cake
Jrcarp
CanadianHatchet
Derpling
CanadianHatchet The EULA is going to prevent servers from making income and in the end prevenAting them from improving and adding gamemodes

The EULA is ending the corrupt P2W system. Thus, IMPROVING the game.
How is it corupt

It gives players a unfair advantage.

Also, it is not going prevent people from improving. Coding doesn't cost money, only hiring a dev does. Also it should prevent servers from making income, I mean its like if I created windows all by myself but someone else made the money. The money goes to someone who didn't do anything.
04/30/2016 7:21 pm
Zitzabis
Good grief...it's one of these threads again... I thought they had ended a long time ago.

The EULA is a legal document created by Mojang and supported by multi-national laws. It can not be undone provided it is created legally and fairly (which it has). What you are trying to undo, is something that has existed since Minecraft was created. It's nothing new, it's nothing hot.

There are two paths to this.
While you play Minecraft, you agree to the EULA and therefore, you have no stance to say no to it since you are legally agreeing and bound to it.
If you wish to counter the EULA, you need to legally disagree with it and by doing that, you will need to stop playing Minecraft.

Take it or leave it.
The EULA is here to help believe it or not. I don't think you understand what it's actually doing and what's happening.
04/30/2016 7:40 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
i'm surprised it wasn't locked and/or deleted 5 minutes after it was posted...
04/30/2016 7:19 pm
Darkshooter86
Ah okay... so this is by mojang's doing, So they are getting rid of server owners from profiting from owning a server? I can see how that can be a strain on 24/7 server owners and may end up having some owners needing to shut down their hosted servers or atleast rethink their ability to run them...
04/30/2016 7:16 pm
CanadianHatchet
Derpling
CanadianHatchet
Darkshooter86You mean individual servers by players? or the server jar/exe's made by minecraft? if the server jars then what I said still stands for that too...
The EULA is going to prevent servers from making income and in the end preventing them from improving and adding gamemodes

How is it corupt
04/30/2016 7:16 pm
Level 40 : Master Unicorn
MysticChicken
I am personally all for EULA enforcement, and I run a server. The EULA has always been there, it didn't magically appear. Should consider the few years that Mojang ignored all the people breaking as being lucky.
04/30/2016 7:14 pm
Derpling
CanadianHatchet
Darkshooter86You mean individual servers by players? or the server jar/exe's made by minecraft? if the server jars then what I said still stands for that too...
The EULA is going to prevent servers from making income and in the end preventing them from improving and adding gamemodes

04/30/2016 7:11 pm
CanadianHatchet
04/30/2016 7:08 pm
Darkshooter86
You mean individual servers by players? or the server jar/exe's made by minecraft? if the server jars then what I said still stands for that too...

EDIT: Okay now I understand. So if you dont want to sign something that wont kill you to sign, aka, EULAs, then dont play on the server... Simple...
04/30/2016 7:04 pm
CanadianHatchet
Darkshooter86This made me laugh... The EULA is just to see if you agree to use minecraft and its server exe/jar as intended and not try to use hacks or commit copywright using their game/software... I think you are a little foolish to try to stop such things when they really don't hurt you to agree to them lol...
The EULA in server context
04/30/2016 7:02 pm
Darkshooter86
This made me laugh... The EULA is just to see if you agree to use minecraft and its server exe/jar as intended and not try to use hacks or commit copywright using their game/software... I think you are a little foolish to try to stop such things when they really don't hurt you to agree to them lol... As for the individual server owners asking for an eula, they can do whatever they want. If you dont like it? dont play them. Simple.

PS. I didn't know which you meant. Maybe i read it wrong...
04/30/2016 6:52 pm
Jmal116
It seems weird to me that people have been aware of the EULA since it was changed, consciously disregarded it, and then freaked out when Mojang decided to enforce it. The way I see it, people are lucky it took this long. It is definitely reasonable to allow Mojang to enforce their own EULA.

Go ahead and sign if you want, maybe you'll convince them to change their minds. But honestly, I don't see much change happening. The time to really protest this has long since past. This whole outcry just feels like a knee-jerk reaction from people who won't be able to P2W anymore.
04/30/2016 6:59 pm
CanadianHatchet
This is an outcry from players that want to see servers such as TheArchon and GotPvP live on. WIth out an income, these servers would be frozen in time, unable to move foward
04/30/2016 7:40 pm
Jmal116
I've never played on either of these servers (In fact, before today I'd never even heard of them), so I don't really know much about how they made money. The fact remains that the EULA in its current state does allow servers to make money by selling things in game, provided they don't give players an advantage. This means they would still be able to sell donator ranks, cosmetic items, as well as pets or hats or whatever it is servers sell to people. If these servers were blocked it's likely because they broke that policy (i.e. allowing players to buy stronger weapons, faster movement in a PvP game, or something similar), but would probably be able to change how they operate and be brought back online, and still make enough money to keep running.

Regardless of whether or not you think Mojang is right to suddenly block these systems or how popular the servers are/were is irrelevant at this point. The policy has been established for a long time, and Mojang has the right to enforce it.
04/30/2016 7:20 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
Are you aware if those servers were made before the EULA, or if the EULA was first? If the EULA was first, then it's their own fault that they're about to get blacklisted. If the servers came first, then either they'd be grandfathered in (not held under the same rules until a change in the server happens), or Mojang would just put it under the same rules. Any way you slice it, it's these server's fault for breaking the EULA.
04/30/2016 6:51 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
CanadianHatchetThis is Our game!

It's not, actually. Did you spend years coding, texturing, and maintaining it? I didn't think so.

It's 100% their game, and I'd assume they have a good reason for this EULA.
04/30/2016 6:43 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
You're about 2 years late, buddy.
04/30/2016 6:47 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
Aleja
Mojang has actually decided to enforce the EULA and are planning to blacklist servers such as GotPvP in the next update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsQ49uBeng for more information
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome