Ask Dinow (for compliments, feedback, a guest book post, anything!)question_answer

63 emeralds โ€ข 223 replies830 views
DinowCookie started 6/10/21 4:56 pm history
AsFlatAsEarth replied 6/21/2021 1:16 am

Credit: Creative_Kylee for the Dinow-drawing

Here's is little something to celebrate a couple of PMC milestones ๐ŸŽ‰
4000 subscribers, reaching level 64 (again! ๐Ÿ‘€), a stack! but also creeping up on 10 years of being a member by the end of this summer.

Big thanks to everyone who took interest in any of my things, albeit years ago or just yesterday.
And thank you (in advance) for any congrats. ๐Ÿ˜

Ask Dinow

This is a thread where you can ask me all your questions! As long as your questions are for fun and friendly.

  "Just an ask me anything? That's boring!"

Well, instead of just asking you to yeet some questions at me, I have some in mind.

Ask me:

..to pick my favorite submission from your gallery

I'll browse your submissions, pick the thing I like most and tell you what I like about it. ๐Ÿ˜ Please ask me this question only if you have a couple of things to choose from. ๐Ÿ˜‰

..for feedback

Link me a submission, forum post, wall-post or any other other content creation and ask for feedback. Your best chances of getting good pointers would be with skin submissions, or contest & event threads.

You could also link builds, artwork, anything you like, but on those I can't guarantee any professional opinions. Also I might have to skip on lengthy stories or entire albums or movies. Just for time reasons, sorry!

..if I ever made a skin of that

Over the years I have made hundreds of skins, probably around and about 750 of them by now. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ And the fun thing is that I still have all of them. Most of them terrible, some acceptable and a few that I sure am proud of.

Something steampunk, any character from your favorite shows, a wizard, a dwarf, Santa Claus or Snow White? Name anything, or a short list, and I'll dive into my back-ups and see if I ever made a skin of that.

If so, I'll send you a screenshot of it, or a link to it if it's a submission today.

..for a guest book post

I'll post an image, quote, compliment or something else that's fun to your guest book. Probably inspired by your profile page or what I happen to know about you.

Make sure to have the guest book widget you your profile! ๐Ÿ˜

..about my experience on Planet Minecraft

10 years is a looong time. Granted, I've not been an active member for all of that time. But still, a lot of things came by over the years. So many fun experiences, events, inspirations, connections. Planet Minecraft feels like home on the internet at this point. ๐Ÿ 

I've considered writing a blog and be super nostalgic to celebrate these milestones. But I really have no clue what you, members who are active today, would like to hear about. So if you're at all curious, please ask some questions about my experience on Planet Minecraft and allow me to ramble about the past. ๐Ÿ˜…

..anything*

Secretly this is still a plain old ask me anything in disguise. Again, as long as your questions are for fun and friendly.

Ask for compliments, feedback, opinions, fun facts, a new idea, help or about who DinowCookie is, the mysteries of the universe, Planet Minecraft things...

Or just share something that you'd like to share with me, even if it's not a question. Let's talk! ๐Ÿ˜

* please don't request any content creation, visit the workshop for that!
Posted by avatar
DinowCookie
Event Host
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Dinosaur

Create an account or sign in to comment.

223 replies

06/21/2021 1:16 am
Level 41 : Master uwu
AsFlatAsEarth
AsFlatAsEarth avatar
haven't made skins in a bit but I'm tempted to ask, what's your favourite skin of mine? and do you have any critiques or tips to help improve? I'm pretty comfy at the state I'm in but I'd always like to improve :)
06/20/2021 10:43 pm
Level 22 : Expert Pixel Painter
ShoHidari
ShoHidari avatar
Have you made any Guilty Gear skins?

Also what is your opinion on my style?
06/20/2021 10:39 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dwarf
Darin_the_Dwarf
Darin_the_Dwarf avatar
What's your favorite from my submissions?
06/19/2021 11:18 amhistory
Level 42 : Master Fish
FishyBusiness
FishyBusiness avatar
How do you think I did?

Skin shading test Minecraft Skin
06/19/2021 11:34 amhistory
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
You did quite well, I think! A lot of logical placements. I see arm-pits and a spine.
The knees you should probably highlight rather than shade. Could shade under them.
I'd say probably lower the torso shading some, the chest seems a bit high up: leave some space for a neck and collarbones.
And with the way you shaded you created a round belly rather than a flat belly. Which is fine! But consider if it's intentional :)
06/19/2021 11:45 amhistory
FishyBusiness
FishyBusiness avatar
I've just changed it. I took into consideration what you said :) its a few subtle changes, but I think it looks better :D
06/19/2021 11:46 am
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Ah, indeed! Instant improvement. ๐Ÿ˜ Nicely done ๐Ÿ‘
06/19/2021 9:37 am
Level 1 : New Miner
MortisGrove
MortisGrove avatar
What kind of skins are other people interested in and garner attention?
06/19/2021 10:34 am
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Hmm getting to the top of trending with skins on PMC seems to be mostly in color palettes: a striking palette or one that is easy on the eyes always seems to do well. Much more so than whatever the design or shading style might be.

So I think to grab attention with skins on PMC, practicing color palettes is the way to go.
06/19/2021 10:36 pm
MortisGrove
MortisGrove avatar
Thank you for the advice!
06/18/2021 5:41 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Witch
Fawne
Fawne avatar
I guess I'm a little late on this but grats on 40hundy!

1. Which submission(s) of mine is/are your favorite(s)?

2. Have you ever made a skin of an onion?

& 3. Which type of onion is your favorite, if any?
06/18/2021 6:38 pmhistory
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
1. Which submission(s) of mine is/are your favorite(s)?

Hard to pick! You've made a lot of very nice things and most of my favorites are from skintober ๐Ÿ˜

Super creative design! Really captures a feeling of autumn and Halloween. It showcases your detailed shading skills.
You know your way around simplistic shading too! In this your coloring skills really show. Striking skin!
You called it semi-generic in the description. But viewing this makes me want to stroll a medieval market all dressed up in flowers! ๐Ÿ˜
This too really shows your creativity in design!
Please find more excuses to do things like this. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Have you ever made a skin of an onion?

Unfortunately no :( however I did make a skin of Ao Oni, does that count?

& 3. Which type of onion is your favorite, if any?

Tricky question because names and categories of foods in Dutch (my native language) and names of foods in English aren't always consistent. BUT I really like scallion/spring onion, if that counts. I really enjoy it as a topping on a lot of different foods. And the best part is they don't make me cry! I am super sensitive to cutting onions, it's always very dramatic. ๐Ÿ˜…
06/18/2021 10:10 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Witch
Fawne
Fawne avatar
Hmm, onis are just all onions confirmed. Also good choice, scallions are really cute imo. I guess we're dramatic in different ways, I don't cry when I chop onions but I do if I see one that's cute lol. Sounds really weird but ๐Ÿ‘€

& Interesting to know!! I do want to do more complex? stuff again in the future but for now I've just been content doing really simple designs & shading. TY for the answers!
06/19/2021 12:23 amhistory
Level 40 : Master Kitten
AlderBee
AlderBee avatar
Heyy! This is a super cool idea!
I was wondering, which of my skins are/is your favorite? (Haha I know some of my older skins aren't that great ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‹)
Also, congratulations on 4000!!
06/19/2021 10:29 am
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
I think my favorites by you are these two:

They both have such a striking contrast! And they make a really good pair too. ๐Ÿ˜
06/18/2021 5:44 pm
Level 25 : Expert Procrastinator
rqspberries
rqspberries avatar
hm
what's your favorite submission of mine?
06/18/2021 6:42 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Easy pick, this!

bunny bun bun
by rqspberries

So very cute! Fell in love with the design the moment I saw it, instantly added it to my favorites. ๐Ÿ˜…
(Which, I'm very picky about my favorites.) Also it reminds me of the flower bunny from Sims 4.
I would really love to see you make more non-human skins! ๐Ÿ˜
06/18/2021 5:38 pm
FishyBusiness
FishyBusiness avatar
Criticize my skin shading skills.
06/18/2021 6:11 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
How can I when there isn't any!? ๐Ÿ˜

Mario
by FishyBusiness

But jokes aside

I think you're starting to do a lot of right things. Looks like you've made some big improvements over the past year. What you could work on is breaking up any pillow shading or banding (shading towards the center or along the same lines). Maybe the tutorial on human anatomy shading could help you with placement of shades and highlights. ๐Ÿ˜Š
06/18/2021 7:26 pm
FishyBusiness
FishyBusiness avatar
I have gained many braincells thank you.
06/18/2021 5:27 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Slime Tamer
lovfallande
lovfallande avatar
what's your favourite submission of mine?

what's your favourite extinct animal? mine's the dodo
06/18/2021 5:56 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
what's your favourite submission of mine?

Can't choose so here's three!

Looks like your futuristic robo thingies stand out to me the most. Very fun designs: overall your gallery is just very vibrant and full of variety, super enjoyable! Makes me wonder why I hadn't subscribed yet ๐Ÿค”

what's your favourite extinct animal? mine's the dodo

Hmm not counting any dinosaurs, probably dinosaurs!

Jokes aside, I don't think I have a particular favorite, and I must admit I am not too well-informed about all the species that once roamed the earth. But I'm surely interested to learn more about them. ๐Ÿ˜
06/18/2021 6:26 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Slime Tamer
lovfallande
lovfallande avatar
thank you!

here's a list of extinct animals i quickly found if you have time to take a look
to name a few i know, there's the thylacine, terror bird, woolly mammoth, and the moa
06/18/2021 6:39 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Thanks for all the links! I'll do some reading ๐Ÿ˜
06/18/2021 3:28 am
Cestos
Cestos avatar
Do you happen to have a skin that is Pig related? I like your skins, and I like Pigs too.
06/18/2021 4:12 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Yes! It's also my third "best" submission ๐Ÿ˜

๏ปฟ
A pig, but fancy.
by DinowCookie

Also one time in ancient history I made this noise-skin of a pig in a suit. ๐Ÿ˜…

I also happen to have this collection of pig skins by various members, that I think you might enjoy:

Pigs
by DinowCookie
06/17/2021 12:52 pm
Level 20 : Expert Pixel Painter
DinoIsComing
DinoIsComing avatar
are you a dino LIKE ME
06/17/2021 2:01 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Your profile tells me you're a Button Pusher๏ปฟ
But your username tells me you're a dino too ๐Ÿค”
So I guess yes ๐Ÿ˜ hi there, fellow dino!
06/17/2021 12:37 pmhistory
Level 32 : Artisan uwu
IndigoDusky
IndigoDusky avatar
*WMAHAHAHAHAH* I will now ask you ALL the questions <3

1. I am genuinely curious about which of my skins you like the most :3 *Cough* even if they are all the same ;-; *Cough*

2. Now it's time to judge >:)..... My skin that is! โค I want to know how I could improve the skin you chose above! ^^^

3. Honestly, I would be surprised if no one has made a Teletubbies inspired skin B3

4. Guest post time! Tysm in advance!

5. Do you remember the first skin you posted? Even the first person who game it a diamond? โคโคโค

6. Hahahhahahha So random, but have you ever tried cereal with Oj or coffee? ~Or even if you eat cereal~ I know lots of people that do, but I have never tried xD :')
06/17/2021 2:00 pmhistory
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
1. I am genuinely curious about which of my skins you like the most :3 *Cough* even if they are all the same ;-; *Cough*
2. Now it's time to judge >:)..... My skin that is! โค I want to know how I could improve the skin you chose above! ^^^

Allow me to pick two! Also when you say that they're all the same then I surely go on the lookout for the ones that stand out.
These two stood out to me the most:

Community contest entry! ๐Ÿ˜ I love community contests especially because they inspire creativity like you've shown here. Super clever to make the head into a hot air balloon. And you did great at making those clouds look super puffy. Very good use of the second layer. Looks like you went with a balloon design like this which you really captured well.

Some improvement pointers: you could have shaped/rounded the hot air balloon a bit more by using the second layer and playing around with the color of the sky on the corners of the head. But also by shading throughout the multi-colored patches. Which surely would be a challenging thing to do. Also for the clouds, I'd probably wrap those around the body parts so they seem to connect when the player model is running around.

Another community contest entry, can you tell I'm biased? ๐Ÿ˜… Another very creative design, fun to have a two-sided person that also shows a contrast in personality. Or hidden/out and proud.

I wish there would be a bit more explaining in the description to learn what you were going for with the concept.

As for feedback: this skin would benefit from less saturation (something you already seem to do in more recent skins). Another tip would be to avoid banding and pillow shading, which is layering shades along the same lines or toward the center. A tip for the skin (face) tone on this would be to add in a bit more red/pink. Making skin tones too yellow, orange or pale is a pitfall of skin-making.

A last thing to point out would be your black on this skin: it's rather dark. Try to avoid using pitch-black on skins, and try to mix in a bit of HUE with your black palettes. It'll make your skins much more vibrant. ๐Ÿ˜

3. Honestly, I would be surprised if no one has made a Teletubbies inspired skin B3

Oo I never made a Teletubbie skin! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ But several other members have!

4. Guest post time! Tysm in advance!

Let me think of something!

5. Do you remember the first skin you posted? Even the first person who game it a diamond? โคโคโค

I really wouldn't know which skin I posted to PMC first. But I sure do remember the very first skin I ever made.
My membership on Planet Minecraft came after I started making skins. ๐Ÿ˜…
However, I do remember TwiDragon being about the very first member to support me on here.

This is my very first skin:

width=200

6. Hahahhahahha So random, but have you ever tried cereal with Oj or coffee? ~Or even if you eat cereal~ I know lots of people that do, but I have never tried xD :')

Well, I haven't eaten a lot of cereal either, and I never liked plain milk so whenever I would have cereal, that would probably either be dry, with chocolate milk or with yogurt. But never with orange juice or coffee!

And 7. Tysm for everything you do. seriously. I have read every single one of your skin dictionaries, and your Community calendar is so useful. Not to mention you are so incredibly kind and helpful. Thank you again โคโคโคโคโค

That's not a question! Haha thank you very much ๐Ÿ™ I'm glad you find my content helpful.
06/17/2021 2:45 pmhistory
IndigoDusky
IndigoDusky avatar
Tysm!
Tysm! The clouds really turned out well ๐Ÿ˜…
And I didn't even think about adding a second layer to the head
but I will try it! ~I will also try wrapping the clouds too <3~
Thank you! Hahahaha I have realized that anything less than 100%
saturation on skins can be ok xD I might go back and update it, but maybe not <3 Same for the black jacket & pillow shading :D

3. O: Those are all pretty good! I might just have to make one......... >B)

5. I love that skin! ~Ecspecaily the Dinow on the shirt :3~

6. Lol I will have to try it with Chocolate milk! Sounds interesting <3 xD
06/17/2021 12:45 pm
IndigoDusky
IndigoDusky avatar
B) And 7. Tysm for everything you do. seriously. I have read every single one of your skin dictionaries, and your Community calendar is so useful. Not to mention you are so incredibly kind and helpful. Thank you again โคโคโคโคโค
06/16/2021 3:44 pmhistory
Level 48 : Master Creeper Hugger
Creative_Kylee
Creative_Kylee avatar
I have one more question for you...

Do you like receiving fanart? ( อก° อœส– อก°)
06/16/2021 4:46 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Ha! Yes, absolutely love receiving fanart ๐Ÿ˜ it's super thoughtful but also just really fun to see what choices people make with it.
And also I try to find a spot on my profile page for most of it, as you can probably tell.
06/16/2021 5:53 pmhistory
Creative_Kylee
Creative_Kylee avatar
Boop*

(I was trying out different shading styles)
06/17/2021 12:21 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Aa thanks for using me as your shading practice subject! All of these are super cute! Don't think I'll find a spot on my profile for all of them but I'll puzzle together something that works. ๐Ÿ˜

Your drawings are great, love seeing the different styles. Please keep making ๐Ÿ™
06/17/2021 1:53 pm
Creative_Kylee
Creative_Kylee avatar
:3
06/15/2021 10:08 pm
Level 40 : Master Lego Builder
MJ_mcMaster
MJ_mcMaster avatar
who do you think are one of the nicest members?
mine is everyone who was not rude to me, but i especially think ZappyGru, you, Mooniium, Papa Enny, and people who have supported me through all those times are nice
be honest pls!!! : ]
i really wanna get to know more people here
06/16/2021 3:29 am
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Aa good question!
The first members that come to mind are Kaos_Kitten, SouthDakotaGirl, Valkyrien_, Lemilas and Chiaroscuro
CactiFern and thebudgie also seem really friendly. Not to forget Spxngie who showered me in compliments just yesterday.

But PMC has such a lovely community, pretty much anyone could be on this list. ๐Ÿ˜…
06/16/2021 8:59 am
Level 44 : Master Procrastinator
SouthDakotaGirl
SouthDakotaGirl avatar
Wow, I didn't expect this.
06/16/2021 8:02 am
Level 49 : Master Nerd
CactiFern
CactiFern avatar
It kinda shocked me that I was put on here but I’m so happy! I’m with Kaos you belong on this list too!
06/16/2021 3:51 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Kitten
Kaos_Kitten
Kaos_Kitten avatar
Awwwwww dinow my hearts gonna melt, you need to put yourself on that list! โ™กโ™ก
06/16/2021 3:54 am
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
See? This is exactly what I mean ๐Ÿ˜ haha
06/16/2021 4:04 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Kitten
Kaos_Kitten
Kaos_Kitten avatar
Lmao you really just pulled the uno reverse on me damn.

I'm just sayin, you the one with the thread of you being nice and giving compliments xD
06/16/2021 11:56 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Wizard
Lemilas
Lemilas avatar
That was unexpected, but thanks!
06/16/2021 11:42 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Princess
Spxngie
Spxngie avatar
<333333
06/16/2021 5:40 pm
SwordBolt
SwordBolt avatar
how do i become the most powerful miner on the site? and what will it take to get people joining my realm? i'm very new to this, but i have big dreams.
06/17/2021 12:18 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Start with customizing your profile: pick a unique profile picture and fun banner. Also try to keep your username and profile picture as long as you can because that's what members will remember you by.

Then make sure to interact on the site. Visit other's profiles, hand out some diamonds, comment on things, help when you can. That's how other members start to notice you.

As for your realm, make sure to present it well. Nice screenshots, a good description and show players how much fun it is. When we had a server, posting wall-posts regularly, showing how much fun you've had on it and inviting others to join in, really helped to gain players. ๐Ÿ˜Š
06/15/2021 4:42 pmhistory
Level 22 : Expert uwu
Felidae_
Felidae_ avatar
What's your favorite skin of mine?
06/15/2021 5:30 pm
DinowCookie
DinowCookie avatar
Aa it's so hard to pick, I like things about all of them. Your colors remind me of the skins by KnobleKnives.
I think this one has the most of everything that I like throughout your gallery:

coat
by Felidae_

A color experiment, colors turned out really nice, but it's also very clean, readable, your own original design and I particularly like that you managed to make that color green look good rather than gross. A green/brown normally isn't this attractive looking.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2021
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome