Forum Thread Feature: Spoiler Option

Fanjawi's Avatar Fanjawi12/20/15 8:33 am
1 emeralds 304 8
12/21/2015 3:34 pm
Luis's Avatar Luis
Man oh man. I've seen many people get spoiled when it comes to movie and video game stories, And it even happened to me. Yes, spoilers are everywhere in the internet, but there's something we can implement that will make things much better.

The solution, is forum thread makers and mods having an option to enable a "Spoiler" option, when making or editing that thread.

How will this work? Say you're excited for the new Star Wars, but oh no! You accidentally click to open a spoiler-filled discussion thread! Don't worry, there will be a warning, telling you that the thread might have spoilers. Something like: "Warning! This thread may contain spoilers about the topic! Are you sure you want to continue?"

Also, you see how whenever someone posts in a thread, it automatically shows in the homepage? These can spoil people too. Don't worry though, with the option, it doesn't show any posts in the thread publicly like that, but only shows the title, and amount of replies.

This will also allow people to talk about movie and game stories as they wish, without the fear of spoiling it for anyone.

Think this is a good idea? Let's hear it!
Fanjawi
Retired Moderator
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/21/2015 3:34 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pokemon
Luis
I think the best solution would be to make it so things in
Click to reveal

don't show up in the sidebar
12/21/2015 3:29 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
Any Star Wars spoilers across the site are being treated as potential flame wars, so report them, and they will be removed, and punished.

And this does nothing to protect people from those other people who post spoilers to be annoying. If someone isn't either aware of this system, or doesn't care enough to say it contains spoilers, then it does no good. Those people are the ones I think we'd need to be most wary of, and your idea, while a really good one, just doesn't aid every angle of it.

Unless it were an automatic thing, in which case there are Web apps that do the exact same thing.
12/20/2015 9:58 am
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
Oooor, you put the Spoilers in spoiler boxes.
12/20/2015 10:56 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
The only problem with that is Spoiler boxes don't work in the sidebar of the site. If a post contains spoilers, Latest 20 post treats it like no Spoiler box was used. Needs to be changed.
12/20/2015 1:57 pm
Fanjawi
Yeah that's one reason. And also, once someone used a spoiler but because of some bug when I visited the thread it was already open and I was spoiled.
12/20/2015 9:45 am
Level 23 : Expert Dolphin
EmeraldEclipse
How would the feature be implemented? Would the OP have to click a button to set it up that way at the beginning, or maybe have to check back and see if people post spoilers and he or she has to edit the post to say so? Because some people would be too lazy for that.
12/20/2015 9:25 am
Fanjawi
CplButthurtOr someone could take it upon themselves and not have to set up additional rules/censors for others.

Just like TV. Don't like whats on? Change the channel.

The problem is, many people check out a thread about how good a game is for example, and someone just spills the beans on the final ending. Sometimes it isn't even in your control. You can be spoiled just by visiting the homepage, as it shows posts from threads.

I mean the way I imagine this feature is just a simple "Click this if the thread possibly may contain spoilers."
12/20/2015 8:56 am
Level 1 : New Network
CplButthurt
FanjawiThe solution, is forum thread makers and mods having an option to enable a "Spoiler" option, when making or editing that thread.

Or someone could take it upon themselves and not have to set up additional rules/censors for others.

Just like TV. Don't like whats on? Change the channel.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome