1

What programming language should I learn?

_Insane •10/9/15 1:06 am
•
857
•
10/24/2015 2:05 pm
Me and quite a few out my friends are planning out a game. It's similar to minecraft, but it's not only blocks, it has more gameplay, the similarities are there though.

I'd prefer C++, but I like to her your guys' ideas too.

I'm not a fan of java, so PLEASE don't say Java. Or one of the super easy ones either.
Posted by
_Insane
Level 24 : Expert Nerd
19

  Have something to say?

Join • Sign in

17

Shockinprint
• 10/24/2015 1:52 pm
• Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
C++ or python
1
Noxie
• 10/09/2015 2:36 pm
• Level 64 : High Grandmaster Archer
If you're planning on being a programmer, C++ or C# could be your best bet.

I understand that you don't like Java, but, in my opinion, it's easier and less complex compared to HTML and other languages.
1
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
• 10/24/2015 2:05 pm
• Level 21 : Expert Ninja
If you want to be a programmer you learn ANY language because that's what programming is..
1
NeonNetwork-Owner
• 10/22/2015 7:30 am
• Level 1 : New Miner
Really you think Java is easier than HTML? -snip-
1
Lufuu
• 10/09/2015 2:14 pm
• Level 21 : Expert Toast
im learning C++ and C#
so id say those
1
PrototypeTheta
• 10/09/2015 11:43 am
• Level 78 : Legendary Robot
C# or C++ will do you.

If you're up for it though, you could always give lolcode a go.
1
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
• 10/09/2015 10:40 am
• Level 21 : Expert Ninja
Hey you should do Scratch jkjk please don't

Do Python, or C,C# and C++

dxlYou could use java, but as you don't want it, and I don't have experience with C++, maybe you should try out some of that good ol' Standard (I think is called... well, whatever you mainly use in Visual Studio). Anyways, if you're just starting programming, making a game is a matter of months and even years (or one year ), depending on what your ambitions are :/. But anyways, good luck.

Btw, the guys at Microsoft code in C++, but if anyone asks, I didn't tell you that. YUP, that's right Halo is made in C++

Most games are made in C languages. It's no secret. Even Windows is made in C++.
1
jobicade
• 10/09/2015 8:21 am
• Level 66 : High Grandmaster Modder
C# or C++. That's pretty much it. Not sure what you have against Java, it's quite similar to C#. With C++ you'll have to work with (what I consider to be) more confusing operators, pointers, references etc.

It's more about how you use the language than what language you use. Most general purpose languages are fine for games.
1
Caporal Dxl
• 10/09/2015 8:16 am
• Level 39 : Artisan Ranger
You could use java, but as you don't want it, and I don't have experience with C++, maybe you should try out some of that good ol' Standard (I think is called... well, whatever you mainly use in Visual Studio). Anyways, if you're just starting programming, making a game is a matter of months and even years (or one year ), depending on what your ambitions are :/. But anyways, good luck.

Btw, the guys at Microsoft code in C++, but if anyone asks, I didn't tell you that. YUP, that's right Halo is made in C++
1
SmashBallYoutube
• 10/09/2015 7:08 am
• Level 1 : New Miner
Java. End of story. It is the Foundation for almost every game you play.
1
deadrecon98
• 10/09/2015 7:18 am
• Level 38 : Artisan Programmer
That quote is 100% wrong. Java is used for SOFTWARE not GAMES. If you want to make software then go for Java, if you want more experience with games then I suggest C# or C++. It would also help to learn a couple of scripting languages such as using batch files on windows and python.
1
HeyItsPaul
• 10/09/2015 12:08 pm
• Level 6 : Apprentice Mage
true dat
1
yoda473
• 10/09/2015 3:34 am
• Level 28 : Expert Button Pusher
How about yaBASIC (oh wait that's too easy) or why don't you try Java (oh wait that's Java)
Seriously though, Python is a great idea. MCEdit and WorldPaint (I think) use it.
1
Zitzabis
• 10/09/2015 1:29 am
• Level 76 : Legendary Programmer Gent
If you prefer and you're more comfortable with C++, go for that.
C++ isn't exactly the greatest language for an indie game, but it works.

If you want to go more on the easier side with a language commonly used for games, look into Python.
1
anonpmc844841
• 10/09/2015 1:18 am
• Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
[deleted]
1
_Insane
• 10/09/2015 1:22 am
• Level 24 : Expert Nerd
Yes, I plan to implement my knowledge into a game. I think that C++ will work nicely, but me and my team decided to each go on our favorite forum and get some ideas on the public's opinions.
1
anonpmc844841
• 10/09/2015 1:40 am
• Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
[deleted]
1

Welcome