Teen Skinners vs Skin Contests

Zitzabis's Avatar Zitzabis3/11/16 6:27 pm
1 emeralds 1.7k 36
3/20/2016 5:54 pm
ToadieOdie's Avatar ToadieOdie
I am creating this thread to get opinions and to poll "teen skinners" on the matter of the Official PMC Skin Contests.

Do not vote if you are not a "teen skinner". This is to gain accurate statistics.

If you do not enter the skin contests, please reply below as to why you don't enter the contests.

If you do enter the contests, please describe why you enter them.

Please do not put down teen skinners in this thread. We're not here to criticize, but to gather statistics.
Zitzabis
Retired Moderator
Level 75 : Legendary Gent

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/20/2016 5:54 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Goblin
ToadieOdie
candleveraAlso, every time I see your name I keep misreading and thinking you're the Dwarf Fortress dev lol

Nope, not me. I just develop random ideas from time to time. Whether they are any good is highly questionable though.

ZitzabisA discussion came up regarding why we don't see teen skins in contests.
A theory was put forth that there are some judges who hold a grudge against teen skinners and are purposely guiding the themes to exclude them.
I disagreed with that and chose to make this to give us a better idea.

While the data is not 100% accurate, and it's hard to define teen skinners, we should hopefully be able to gather at least responses on why or why not people who self-identify as teen skinners are entering or not entering the contests.

Thus far, I am not seeing any correlation found that suggests teen skinners are not joining since they feel excluded. The reasons seem to be different, but still reasons we can consider and possibly help us improve our themes.

I think this is highly worthy of an investigation. Inclusion should always be the goal of a community - especially one of this size. I'm interested in what your results will end up being when it closes. Given what you have shared thus far it raises the question of how to include teen skinners more often and how to toss in themes that are better aimed at them occasionally.

For someone like me who is just learning, the theme is only there to generate an idea or serve as inspiration and allow me to stretch my wings - assuming I can get over my "stage fright". For more advanced artists, they may be looking for themes that will allow themselves to shine.
03/18/2016 10:23 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
ZitzabisA discussion came up regarding why we don't see teen skins in contests.

I've seen a lot. Most just get disqualified because they don't fit the theme of the contest. A lot of teen skinners seem to focus on one kind of style and it might be hard for them to break away from this style and make a valid contest entry. Just a general theory (A GAME THEORY).
03/17/2016 11:14 pm
Level 21 : Expert Narwhal
Prisma15
-snip-
03/17/2016 10:03 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragon
SinonLife
I don't enter contest because I don't have the time nor the inspiration to do a theme I am not interested in. Usually I just make character skins because I am inspired by those characters/people, and since I am a junior I don't have time to enter every single contest out there.
03/17/2016 9:34 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Zitzabis
A discussion came up regarding why we don't see teen skins in contests.
A theory was put forth that there are some judges who hold a grudge against teen skinners and are purposely guiding the themes to exclude them.

While the data is not 100% accurate, and it's hard to define teen skinners, we should hopefully be able to gather at least responses on why or why not people who self-identify as teen skinners are entering or not entering the contests.

Thus far, I am not seeing any correlation found that suggests teen skinners are not joining since they feel excluded. The reasons seem to be different, but still reasons we can consider and possibly help us improve our themes.

To continue, the biggest piece of information we can conclude from this thread/poll is that teen skinners don't browse the forums much, if at all, which would contribute to why we've never really seen skin contest theme polls be heavily influenced by the teen skinning community (and thus, a teen skinning friendly contest has never really been had).
03/17/2016 9:30 pm
Zitzabis
candlevera
Anyway, I don't understand why this thread is a thing? Like, no offense or anything. I just don't see the point, especially considering how vague the term teen Skinner is. I have barely ever seen any teen skins in contests, and when they managed to make finalists, they didn't score that well because the design wasn't creative enough.

Like, uhh, I don't see why this is an issue at all/is worth investigating/caring about.

And, well, like I said, teen skinner is way too vague of a term, and I'm sure there's plenty who aren't active enough on the site to know what it means. Any data collected is probably going to be really inaccurate or just hard to use.

I mean, right now, none of the options are in the double digits beyond "Not a teen skinner" which is in the 50's.

A discussion came up regarding why we don't see teen skins in contests.

03/17/2016 5:08 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Loremaster
Spectral
47th non teen skinner
03/17/2016 4:28 pm
Level 26 : Expert Cowboy
sidtom
I'm a teen skinner, but I really don't make skins anymore. I have entered some contests, but I probably won't be entering another one again as I don't make skins anymore.
03/17/2016 4:22 pm
Level 48 : Master Dragonborn
Urrnge
I don't enter skin contests because I'm not that good at making my own character. Every skin I made either game from a video game or a cartoon or whatever, and I was able to use pictures made as reference. Not like I'd win anyway.

Honestly, I don't get why people get so upset over teen skins vs. non-teen skins. It's not like having one kind being more popular is detrimental to the survival of Minecraft.
03/17/2016 1:57 pm
Zitzabis
Myra_What are your criteria for being a teen skinner? I guess I'm one since I tend to make female cartoony/not-quite-realistic skins, and I mean, the four-pixel eyes are always a major qualifier...
I know this (http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/8013741/hot-girl/) is a teen skin, but is this? (http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/myra-the-magnificent/)

Generally whatever people identify with.
03/17/2016 1:48 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Sweetheart
Myra_
What are your criteria for being a teen skinner? I guess I'm one since I tend to make female cartoony/not-quite-realistic skins, and I mean, the four-pixel eyes are always a major qualifier...
I know this (http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/8013741/hot-girl/) is a teen skin, but is this? (http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/myra-the-magnificent/)

Nevertheless, I voted according to my being a teen skinner. I generally try to join contests, but some contests are really not my thing; I liked the desert skin contest because it was so open-ended, but I didn't join the nuclear winter one because it was such a narrow theme that I couldn't have a ton of creativity with it, esp. with my rather limited skill set.
03/17/2016 1:32 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Goblin
ToadieOdie
Well... I lack confidence first off with skinning so there's that.

With that said, I have one complaint/concern with the last two contests - the skin contest and the currently running solo build contest.

My complaint/concern applies more to the skin contest. The theme was too broad and vague. And it shows in the skin entries. I mean I can really mince words with this, because technically retro means "clothes or music whose style or design is imitative of those of the recent past" [https://www.google.com/search?q=retro&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8]and since the current year is 2016, that puts "retro" into the 90's bracket. Anyway, that aside, the rules called for 70s to 80s which anyone taking the time to do their research should have been able to find plenty of material to work with, yet there wasn't much coming up - I didn't see anything that I would have identified as "teen skins". A lot of those skins came across to me as "I don't know what I'm suppose to be doing with this theme, so I'll make this and hope for the best." It ended up feeling really disjointed, disorganized, and overall lacking the intended theme.

The theme itself for the solo build contest is great. Steve is seeing something in the desert. Is it real or a mirage and what is he seeing? Awesome question, but the given terrain is plain and uninspiring. Perhaps this is intentional to allow the maximum creative efforts of the builders, if so then kudos. For me though it triggered "blank page syndrome." Perhaps not your fault. Perhaps I'm just derailing. I'll own that. It's just that it was a bit disappointing since one of the best parts for me about the building contests has been being able to build in really interesting and creative terrains. And that was not the case for this contest.
03/17/2016 8:37 pm
Level 42 : Master Necromancer
candle_
While it's not super relevant I agree in full on those things. IMO giving a more specific theme and seeing how crazy people can go with it requires far more creativity than something so broad, and I've been skipping a lot of contests I'd otherwise enter. Regardless, it seems like the community will ALWAYS vote for the most broad theme...

Also, every time I see your name I keep misreading and thinking you're the Dwarf Fortress dev lol

Anyway, I don't understand why this thread is a thing? Like, no offense or anything. I just don't see the point, especially considering how vague the term teen Skinner is. I have barely ever seen any teen skins in contests, and when they managed to make finalists, they didn't score that well because the design wasn't creative enough.

Like, uhh, I don't see why this is an issue at all/is worth investigating/caring about.

And, well, like I said, teen skinner is way too vague of a term, and I'm sure there's plenty who aren't active enough on the site to know what it means. Any data collected is probably going to be really inaccurate or just hard to use.

I mean, right now, none of the options are in the double digits beyond "Not a teen skinner" which is in the 50's.
03/17/2016 5:22 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
I have never entered a contest, because I know that I have no chance of winning. Wether it be a skin contest, or a contest of who can sleep longer...

I don't have what it takes to do contests. Besides... i'm not missing out on much, the prizes aren't all that interesting.
03/17/2016 12:29 am
Level 48 : Master Blob
ABigFatTomato
-snip-
03/16/2016 11:27 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Modder
_VJRyti_
Out of the loop, What the heck is a teen skinner?
03/17/2016 12:52 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
WarmOrangeJuice
So you know how you open the skin tab at the top of the page, and on the popreel (popular skins at the moment) you see all the girls with bright colored and repeated features? The girls with eyes on the bottom of their face? The unrealistic hairstyles and clothes? Yeah. Those are teen skins.

No intended hatred towards the people that make these, but these skins almost always lack originality. I feel like the people who do teen skins need to expand their ideas a bit. The makers always seem so full of creativity and fun ideas, and they just aren't using it to their fullest.

Anyways, back on topic; I probably won't enter a contest (ever) because if I were to start making skins and I were to win, I wouldn't want a prize being sent to me. I'd end up never using it and just feeling bad that someone way more talented than me didn't earn the prize that they actually wanted.
03/17/2016 2:55 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Don't let that little bit of doubt keep you from entering a contest, lol. For lack of a better way to say it, no one really cares what the winner gets (it's usually a t-shirt).

Click to reveal
Don't let this description of me fool you. I always have to have a dose of dank memes or Filthy Frank every day. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ahhhhhhhh a fellow member of the Franku family.
03/16/2016 11:00 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Batman
Squirrel
-snip-
03/16/2016 10:58 pm
Level 44 : Master Robot
HannahLikesCats
I am a teen skinner, and I do enter most contests (there's some where I don't enter mainly because I have zero ideas).

I've tried at my own hand making non-teen skins and teen skins for said contests and I've noticed that my teen skins ,or the skins that are more teeny-like than others, seem to be diamonded more than my (attempted) non-teen skins. Not sure about anyone else tho.
03/16/2016 10:50 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Puglover131
what is a teen skinner?
03/16/2016 10:28 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
tl:dr teen skinners typically don't enter contests which don't facilitate teen skins. Just like any skinners who only make a specific type of skin.
03/16/2016 9:29 pm
Zitzabis
bump
03/12/2016 6:12 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Dragon
NakuMog
Personally as a teen Skinner.(I post on other websites because every time i do here it gets taken down >:( )
I would enter contests more if i actually knew how to make original skins.
I think contest skinners have alot more creativity than teen skinners but their are a handful of really good and original teen skinners out their
03/12/2016 5:04 pm
Zitzabis
Bump.
03/11/2016 9:29 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Prince
IcarianPrince
I guess I'm a teen skinner, but I try to enter every single skin contest as they come (I've only been on here for two though), as I find they kind of help me to branch out a little in what I make.
03/11/2016 9:23 pm
Level 27 : Expert Network
Pines
is this supposed to be like a experiment thing so teen skinners can have separate contests???

i hope so
03/11/2016 8:52 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Vampire
Drzzter
I think what he meant by 'don't vote if you're not a teen skinner' is don't pick one of the teen skinner options if you aren't one.

If you're not a teen skinner you're free to just choose 'I'm not a teen skinner.'. He doesn't want the relevant data scrambled by people choosing whatever they feel like.
03/11/2016 9:24 pm
Zitzabis
Yeah, and it gives me a good show of how many teen skinners actually visit the forums. So nice extra data.
03/11/2016 8:50 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Princess
Havingfun_ISKEY
Oh, and also, I don't enter contests because 90% of them contain prizes that are real-life - like the Steve action figures or the t-shirts. I don't want to have those sent over to me for privacy reasons. I find this pretty frustrating because a lot of the contests that seem really cool do have these sorts of prizes, and the only ones that don't seem to do this are the project contests, and I'm not much of a project person.
03/11/2016 8:46 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Princess
Havingfun_ISKEY
If you don't want people to vote if they're not teen skinners, then why on earth is there a "I am not a teen skinner" option in the polls?
03/11/2016 8:20 pm
Level 20 : Expert Hunter
Monotone
I enter contests depending on the theme. If I don't feel like I can bring out something good for the theme, I don't enter. :>

I love how it says "don't vote if you're not a teen skinner" and yet 13 people have selected "I am not a teen skinner" xD
03/11/2016 7:42 pm
Level 44 : Master Droid
zalebcaleb
Really tired of the over saturation and under-moderation of these skins. Yes, I understand some have a few differences but do we really need to upload 50 versions with different bows and shoes? Its coming to a point where I think we need to regulate them.
03/11/2016 7:08 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
...? What?
03/11/2016 8:16 pm
Zitzabis
It's something that came up among judges.
03/11/2016 7:02 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Meme
Allergy_Man
o;
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome