Are servers ignoring new players?

ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser3/16/19 11:37 pm history
6 emeralds 1.2k 28
3/28/2019 8:40 am
Tubby_Squirrel's Avatar Tubby_Squirrel
Hi gang!

Editorial

So the unimaginable happened: we (= gf and me) got bored! <yikes!>

Naah, it's Saturday (time of writing) and I told my gf that it had been a while since we last played Minecraft together on a server (one what wasn't mine). So I set out for the server I used to frequent but for some reason my supporter status didn't got fully implemented making me go "blech!" and I hopped onto another server we both liked.

Yah, unfortunately that server had upgraded to 1.13 at the expense of many features which were very fun to have. We used to have our own personal worlds, but no more. Something I don't understand because it should be doable to implement that even without too many mods (MultiVerse?) but alas...

So then I / we (basically me while Aya looked over my shoulder) started server hopping. And I'm not impressed :(

No newbie friendly servers?

I can understand that servers want to be vanilla, but how vanilla is it really to make players start at night with pretty much nothing: no tools, definitely no shields, nothing? Shouldn't vanilla imply that you have a safe period (1 in-game day in single player) before you'll get attacked by mobs?

So a server which sends out players into a survival world without any kits or protection? For me that's a server which has no clue about decent gameplay. You can call it vanilla & survival all you want, but as said: even vanilla gives you a safe period to prepare.

I went through plenty of servers. Most of them don't use the correct tags (you expect a PVE server, end up on PVP) or seem totally ignorant about new players. Making survival harder can be a good thing, as long as you also make it doable for a new player to start. Sending out a new player without pretty much anything in a survival world, at night, which is more difficult than vanilla? How is that going to work out?!

And to add insult to injury.. Aya and me finally found a server we both enjoyed (so far). It had survival, it had crates (voting rewards), it had land protection... Just too bad that it didn't have any online players :(

Do servers still keep newer players in mind?

Because I can't help but think that most servers never bothered to stop and think what it would be like to start out with nothing.

Poll ended 04/13/2019 11:37 pm.

ShelLuser
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/17/2019 2:42 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc2558251
[deleted]
03/17/2019 7:52 pm
Level 48 : Master Sus
ArcaneKnight
not only newer players do the digging, I do that sometimes too, when I'm near resource rich or exploring areas
03/17/2019 3:40 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
the minecraft server market is so over saturated why bother tagging your servers correctly if you can tag it with popular tags in order to get more players, more players joining = more potential returning players = server revenue

servers go from one extreme to the other, either you spawn in with nothing and play normal minecraft,or you spawn in with god tier gear and play normal minecraft

or you login to the minecraft equivalent of the app store and play copy/paste mobile games with microtransactions being shoved in your face (minigame servers), if you want a good server, make your own or apply for whitelist servers, they are more player friendly from my experience
03/17/2019 9:21 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Prince
GreenMist10
When I've logged into servers to play, and I was equipped with all sorts of kits and building materials, it was too easy. I didn't enjoy it.

Getting started with nothing, or just stone tools, is more fun for me. It's more challenging, but still very, very easy.

I prefer to earn my stuff, and I've geared my server for long-term, devoted gameplay. I'm sure I lose a lot of new players over this, but that's my niche and there are plenty of "quick-startup" servers out there for those kinds of players.

But I get it. If you only have a few hours to play, and you want to immediately start building without the startup work, it would be nice to have that starter boost.

It's also difficult, or impossible, to quickly acquaint brand new players with the way the server functions. On my server, if you start in the main survival world at night, you can warp to the resource world where the time is different. But, if you don't read the server guidebook or ask somebody, you'd never know unless you just tried different things.

Good luck with finding a new place to call MC home!
03/27/2019 11:15 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Demolitionist
busterdogtnt
If you want to be challenged join 2b2t.org or constantiam.net. You will have a true survival experience. Just avoid looking at chat.
03/18/2019 12:58 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Spider Rider
InfamousArgyle
Totally agree. I have a bunch of rules and tidbits spelled out for players but its kinda hard to make someone sit and look at everything that's on display. I definitely am working at gearing my server towards more challenging, long-term playing as well and yeah, people do complain about how hard it is to get things. I kind of consider that kind of complaint evidence that I'm on the right track... within reason of course. Everyone wants their players to have at least 1 resource XD
03/17/2019 12:04 am
Level 78 : Legendary Princess
Kirigiri
tbh I think it can depend on what type of server you go on, if its like a towny server then I think players get noticed more often because there are fewer people on and so someone notices you more, if its a factions server or a minigame server I don't think you do get noticed as much because of the large numbers of people on the server it can be easy to go unnoticed, personally I think its nicer when people do welcome you to a new server since it instantly becomes easier to make friends.
03/18/2019 3:22 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I think it's just become hard to actually find servers which take new players serioustly. I will admit that when someone new joins my server, I'm always a little sceptical however I would never limit their creative abilities (Removing commands or de-ranking them) unless they are caught breaking the rules.

Imma try to not make this into an ad (Sorry if it sounds that way)

I really only know of 3 servers where I know new players are considered exciting and awesome: GreenLeaf Creative, PhrozenCookie, and Aliquam Creative.
I only know that because I used to be a semi-active member of aliquam, and no matter your rank – They were always ready to help, and there was always players online
PhrozenCookie is where I play survival, though only semi-active again, and yet! When I started playing there as a total newbie, people still greeted me as if I was a long time member.
03/17/2019 3:26 pm
Level 21 : Expert Explorer
Bobcycle
Honestly, I'm not the person to go and advertise on forum posts like these, but it seems like you both are having a hard time finding a proper server. My server focuses around this exact thing which is user experience and accessibility and it seems like you'd be at home on my server. If you want, please log on and ask for "Bobcycle" in game, let's have a chat! :) The IP is play.minevict.us
03/18/2019 2:05 am
ShelLuser
Nah, I also have my private server which Aya & me enjoy. But I do appreciate the idea and I can promise that we're going to visit. Can't promise when (because then there's a risk you'd be ready) :)

Seriously: I appreciate this post because you're genuine. One up from me :)
03/18/2019 12:55 pmhistory
InfamousArgyle
Do you mean "new to the server" or "new to minecraft"? i get that its cool to start off with items but it seems super OP to have everything given to you besides maybe iron tools and some food(which I do lol, i dont wanna be that mean). I personally dont like to start right away without a challenge, so I've turned down oregen and made some ores easier to find in certain biomes, among other things.... I LOVE challenge and i so get why servers give you so many things on start but I get so many players that expect things like silk spawners and armor and the ability to /sell diamonds for tons of money and like, i'm sorry, I can't give you that instant gratification. it makes the items you do have worth so much less. You're welcome to try SonoraBuild, we're pretty talky most days, but it's not like super easy I'm sorry...
03/18/2019 12:56 pm
InfamousArgyle
sorry if this is kind of hard to read, i didn't proofread as much as I'd like because i have a ton to get done today, and havent eaten lunch and am thus a little hasty.
03/18/2019 2:15 am
ShelLuser
Shell vent incoming...

First: thank YOU for all your votes and comments so far, I honestly love it!

And pardon me for jumping on the PMC fanboy bandwagon but I also think it's awesome how staff allowed players to give me suggestions for servers. Trust me: I have been on forums where I wouldn't even have noticed. See my point here? Staff isn't only about taking your stuff away, they're also protecting our fun. I see this, I need to respond, I say thank you!

(yes, I do consider myself a PMC fanboy but.. nothing too serious) :)

<3 all of you commentators <3 :)
03/18/2019 10:40 am
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
context is key

i am keeping an eye on here so people don't advertise their servers for the sake of advertising however
03/17/2019 5:35 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Pigki
She smells like cheese. :O
03/18/2019 2:09 am
ShelLuser
That is no way to talk about AyanamiKun! :P

wait.. who is the 'she' you're talking about? errr, oopsie? ;P

<lol>
03/17/2019 4:10 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
03/27/2019 5:13 pm
busterdogtnt
Before you join 2b2t you have to get past the 10 hour queue, even if you have priority it still takes some time. Then you have to escape the hellhole called spawn, while managing your hunger and avoiding spawnfags, and even if you escape you have to travel to atleast 100k before your safe. just dont build on the highways.
03/27/2019 5:22 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
03/27/2019 5:56 pm
busterdogtnt
03/17/2019 2:10 pmhistory
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
BHL
Right now my server is on full daylight for setting up the spawn area as well as a perk for new players to enjoy. Eventually I will return daylight cycle back on but for now it's off. The same goes for the weather.
If you're interested drop me a PM and I'll add you to the whitelist! Or go here: crosscorn.enjin.com/
03/17/2019 12:44 pm
Level 23 : Expert Procrastinator
Energy Master
A lot of the big servers do but if you get lucky like me and find a small family friendly server like sikosurvival or areia mc (think that is what it’s called) which don’t have more than 20 people on it, they will welcome you. I’ve had good expeirences with them. Hope this helps!!
03/28/2019 8:40 am
Level 40 : Master Pig
Tubby_Squirrel
You're forgetting your basics, man. Day 1 hidey hole!

As for new player treatment depends the size of the server. Thoes bland, 1,000+ player mega servers will probably ignore new players.
03/27/2019 6:08 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
BratzeliStudios
What was the server you found? (that you liked?)

Did it happen to be....
https://www.planetminecraft.com/server/fractured-sky-mc/ ?

Or not, just a random guess. BC that's exactly what's going on with my server. The thing is, I'm only on typically from 12-2 Mountain time, not when ANYONE ELSE is getting on.

However, although we have made some more powerful monsters, we do give players access to a handgun(an iron horse armor that shoots eggs) with unlimited ammo. This is pretty good, and has saved me multiple times. Of course, I can't talk about other players, because we LOST THEM ALL :( they all have schoolwork....

but the gun is it, tho. Nuthin else
03/27/2019 8:34 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Won't go into much detail unless prodded, but most of the time you end up with the following. The issue is usually both, sometimes one or the other, often a blend.

- Owners tend to own just so they can own, not to get any understanding of design and not because they're actually good at it or even want to beyond some short term goal or naive hope of becoming massive with a formula copy. The result is no thought at all towards player experience design and going the path of least resistance or popularity, which, as you can see, is pretty much just throwing people into the mix with minimum resources in the case of anything survival-factions-related.
- Typically the problem servers have is a lack of endgame beyond "hey I got the most macguffins on this server!". Effort thus goes in that direction for players who've basically seen all the usual junk instead of people who are completely new, since the former comes around much more often than someone who wants a safety net.
03/18/2019 9:07 am
Level 22 : Expert Architect
tr5462ml
Dude you're right! Oh by the way ShelLuser what edition of minecraft do you play?

If you play java then you should join dexland.ru server coz when you hop on to a building world or survival world you get a full diamond suit plus some other resources and all diamond tools!
03/18/2019 9:08 am
tr5462ml
And yeah i take new players seriously. I have my own server you see but sadly no one has joined my server even once! X(
03/18/2019 9:10 am
tr5462ml
I only let five people join my server so all of them will be taken seriously. If you have too much players on your server it's kinda hard to keep track of all the players who have joined newly or you know what i'm trying to say ,right?
03/18/2019 3:42 am
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
Hegemony
I don't know about other servers but due to mine being a MMORPG experience, balance and new player tutorials are done extremely carefully.
03/17/2019 2:53 pm
Level 28 : Expert Narwhal
mythicman95
I've actually set up my server's community to engage new players and offer assistance. It tends to help the overall morale and camaraderie.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome