Let's talk about the Minecraft Snapshot 20W13A, 20W14A, 20W15A AND 20W16A | The Nether Update!chat_bubble

PMC's Avatar PMC4/18/20 2:48 pm history
67 emeralds 4.7k 213
7/23/2020 11:16 am
The__Minecraft__Dude's Avatar The__Minecraft__Dude

Over the course of a month, Minecraft introduced some new features to be included in the upcoming Minecraft Nether Update and released some snapshots including 20W13A, 14A, 15A, and this week , 20W16A which added even more cool things to the Nether. New blocks, new tunes, new structures, mobs and more! Feel free to share screenshots and your experiences if you've played any of them. We are excited to hear what the community thinks!

🌳A NEW BIOME!
BASALT DELTAS
The volcanic biome called Basalt Deltas were added to the Nether, for a total of 4 different, dark, and dazzling depths to explore!

Composed mostly of basalt and blackstone mountains, you'll find lava lakes magma blocks, and basalt columns along your travels through this lilac hazed biome. You'll encounter fortresses and caves filled with quartz ore, and see ghasts and striders wandering through the fog!

The falling white ashes and purple fog may seem a bit more inviting that other Nether Biomes, but don't be fooled; basalt deltas are challenging biomes!

File:Basalt Deltas.png
Basalt Deltas

NEW BRICKS & BLOCKS!
  • Chiseled nether bricks are created with two nether brick slabs
  • Cracked nether bricks new variant of Nether Bricks and can be obtained by smelting Nether bricks in a furnace
  • Quartz bricks are a cosmetic block crafted with 4 blocks of quarts.
  • Blackstone is an entire new set of stone blocks and include regular, polishes and polished brick variants! This new stone can be used to craft stone tools and furnaces.
  • Gilded Blackstone has chance of dropping gold nuggets when mined with a pickaxe, otherwise it will drop itself. Piglins will become hostile towards you if you break this stone. Update 20w16a: can now naturally generate in Bastion Remnants and be found in chests!
  • Lodestone is crafted from Netherite Ingot and chiseled stone bricks. This new block helps you get your bearings and uses the enchant and potion glint. Compasses can me used on lodestones to make them point to the stones.
  • Chain can only be found in the Bastions. Can also be crafted using 2 iron nuggets and 1 iron ingot in a vertical line formation. See Bastion Remnants for photo of recipe.

chain

A note on compasses: as of 20W14A they can become enchanted with Curse of Vanishing!

Chiseled Nether Brick

Cracked Nether Brick

Lodestone

Quartz Bricks
Blackstone

Polished Blackstone

Chiseled Polished Blackstone

Gilded Blackstone

Press play before reading about the Bastions!

pigstep [​music disc exclusively found in bastion remnants]

BASTION REMNANTS
These new structures can be found in all Nether biomes with the exception of Basalt Deltas! Think of them as nether castles that generate 4 types of structures. They include:

• Bridges! You'll know you've come across one when you see it becuase it looks like a piglin with a face carved into it. Enter inside to discover multiple levels of walkways surrounded by lava.
  • Hoglin Stables consist of an open cavity with damaged hoglin stables on either side.
  • Housing Units consist of a central courtyard with nether wart growing in the middle, surrounded by multiple ruined towers.
  • Treasure Rooms that consist of a large wall with a bridge leading to a treasure room where you can find a center loot area and magma cube spawner. Chests may contain enchanted netherite gear and center loot ara can contain a nether wart farm or blocks of gold!
  • Chains are a new block that can be found in the Bastion Remnants.

Bastion remnants are the only place where the Pigstep music disc, the piglin banner pattern, chains, and netherite gear can be found naturally.

crafting recipe for chain. Chain can be found in bastions.

RUINED PORTALS
These mysterious structures can be found in all biomes, underground as well as underwater. They generate as partial portals and with a chest that contain golden items alongside other items tused to build portals. There are 13 variants; 10 normal size and 3 larger.

Ruined Portal in the Nether

SOUL FIRE
A variant of the campfire with flames of souls! Crafted similarly to the original campfire, but instead of coal or charcoal, you'll be using should sand or soul soil. Soul fire burns forever and doesn't smother in the rain. You can use soulfire to craft torches and lanterns

Also note: original campfires can be crafted using stems and hyphae, a 1.16 20W13A update.

soulfire

MOBS!
Snapshot 20W13A added the Strider Mob! Striders can walk on the top surface of lava and be saddled. They're keen on the smell of warped fungi. As of 20W14A, Strider features were balanced out for better user experience.

20W14A added the Zoglin, a zombigified Hoglin that can't be fed or bred unlike their Hoglin counterpart.

Strider Spawn Egg

Zoglin Spawn Egg

Strider

Zoglin

🎶 NEW MUSIC

Who doesn't love a good tune?!
  • Rubedo will be played in the Nether Wastes
  • Chrysopoeia will be played in Crimson Forests
  • So Below will be played in Soulsand Valleys and in Basalt Deltas
  • Pigstep
Lena Raine is the composer of these spoopy sounds, and you can read more about her and her process for creating music for Minecraft in this article.

Rubedo

Chrysopoeia

So Below

MEMBER REVIEWS SORTED BY SNAPSHOT

20W13A Snapshot Reviews
Minecraft Snapshot 20w13a | New Strider Nether Mob and Lodestone Block! by Shireen

20W14A Snapshot Reviews

Minecraft 20w14a Out Now! New 1.16 Java Edition Snapshot Released! a video review by Jed Nemch

20W15A Snapshot Reviews
20w15a Out Now! Minecraft 1.16 Snapshot Out! BASALT DELTAS BIOME a video review by Jed Nemch

20W16A Snapshot Reviews

Bastion Remnants & Ruined Portals! a blog review by Hipercreative

Minecraft Snapshot 20w16a | Bastion Remnants & Ruined Portals a video review by Shireen

Post image
source

assignment IS THAT IT?!
Nope, there is so much more to this update than we can put into this post. Feel free to read Mojang's full release notes here!
You can also check out all of the new additions and specifics about almost everything in the 1.16 Update by visiting the Minecraft Wiki!

Technical Changes & Bug Fixes in 20W13A

Technical Changes in 20w13a

• Jigsaw Block
    • A fishing location is now considered to be open water if the fishing hook
      is in water, there are no blocks besides lily pads above water and all
      water blocks are source blocks with no solid underwater blocks around

Farmer Villagers

• Farmers can now put excess seeds in the composter to create bone meal
      • Bone meal is used by the farmers to grow crops
      • Farmers share excess wheat to other farmers, so more farmers can make bread

Jigsaw Block
    • Jigsaw can now have one of 12 orientations
    • Added new property Joint type to describe if attached piece can be rotated (rollable) or not (aligned)
    • NBT field target_pool has been renamed to pool
    • - attachement_type has been split into name (on parent block) and target (on child block)

Fixed bugs in 20w13a

• MC-118080 - Bows without pulling predicate animate when other bows are pulled back
          • MC-154427 - Villagers only pick up four stacks of items
          • MC-171003 - Crimson and Warped stairs, planks and slabs can be used as fuel in a furnace
          • MC-171286 - Warped fences and Crimson fences don’t connect with other fences
          • MC-171484 - Shields, crossbows, bows, and fishing rods don’t show their proper animations in first person mode after certain actions
          • MC-171526 - en_us.json issue: weeping_vines and weeping_vines_plant have the same name
          • MC-171830 - Smokers cannot be crafted using crimson or warped stems
          • MC-172123 - Using a spawn egg on a mob without a baby variant spawns an adult mob of the same type without a weapon
          • MC-172279 - Can’t craft campfire with nether stems or hyphae
          • MC-172307 - All loaded tileticks instantly run in the first tick after loading the chunk
          • MC-173258 - Back of zombified piglin heads has very different texture/shading compared to the other sides
          • MC-173367 - Arrows are floating in midair after being pushed by piston
          • MC-173791 - Mobs dismount vehicles only in front of the boat, even if there is danger ahead
          • MC-174368 - Minecarts can no longer eject entities into an open trap door
          • MC-174428 - Nylium can be bonemealed underwater with seagrass above it
          • MC-174434 - Sugar Cane, Kelp and Bamboo are in the incorrect creative inventory tab
          • MC-174481 - en_us.json issue: twisting_vines and twisting_vines_plant have the same name
          • MC-174510 - Stems, Hyphae, and variants do not use the Nether Wood material
          • MC-174537 - Zombie Pigman hooves are still visible on Zombified Piglin texture
          • MC-174547 - Kelp, Weeping Vines, and Twisted Vines can be bonemealed at age 25
          • MC-174642 - Hitbox of twisting vine is incorrect
          • MC-174731 - Modifying “soul.json” (inside of “particles” folder) causes crash
          • MC-174787 - Arrow physics don’t work correctly when in a target that is moved
          • MC-174823 - Sprinting and walking scoreboards don’t update properly
          • MC-174988 - Bee nests are brown on maps
          • MC-175165 - Using glowstone on a respawn anchor doesn’t consume it
          • MC-175171 - Fishing bobber can get stuck on a ledge when being reeled in
          • MC-175174 - Respawn anchor is considered obstructed if all its sides are covered or air
          • MC-175178 - Anchor uses up the glowstone charge even though it didn’t respawn you
          • MC-175185 - No datafixer for item AttributeModifiers UUIDs
          • MC-175191 - Respawn Anchor charging cannot be heard by other players
          • MC-175193 - Using glowstone in the offhand does not charge respawn anchor
          • MC-175199 - In snowy_medium_house_2, some blocks are still misrotated
          • MC-175204 - Four misrotated blocks in snowy_masons_house_1
          • MC-175208 - Incorrect grammar “Your have no home bed or respawn anchor, or it was obstructed.”
          • MC-175209 - Dying in a different dimension than your respawn anchor will cause the anchor to not play the depletion sound
          • MC-175210 - Respawn anchor uses a charge after leaving the end dimension through the end portal
          • MC-175218 - Looking at a map of an area with spruce sign, jungle sign or dark oak sign in it crashes the game
          • MC-175219 - Respawn Anchor plays the “Respawn Point set” sound when right-clicked even when its already your respawn point
          • MC-175224 - Nether gold ore does not yield any experience when mined
          • MC-175239 - Villagers are generated very rarely in villages
          • MC-175278 - Fishing near lily pads prevents players from receiving treasure loot table
          • MC-175289 - Respawn anchor isn’t in the #dragon_immune tag
          • MC-175322 - Clicking on a fully charged respawn anchor with a glowstone block doesn’t activate it
          • MC-175327 - The crafting recipe of Polished Basalt is inconsistent
          • MC-175514 - Villager Gossips still use old UUID NBT format (TargetMost and TargetLeast)
          • MC-175827 - Entities not loading in structure blocks (duplicate UUID)
          • MC-175830 - F3 + I copies UUID

Technical Changes & Bug Fixes in 20W14A
            To be added

Technical Changes & Bug Fixes in 20W15A
            To be added

Technical Changes & Bug Fixes in 20W16A
            Add collapsed content here

GET THE SNAPSHOTS
            To install any of these snapshots, open up the Minecraft Launcher and enable snapshots in the "Installations" tab.

What are you looking forward to most with these updates!?
            Vote in the poll or comment below!
            PMC
            Support
            Level 100 : Transcendent Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/23/2020 11:16 am
            Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
            The__Minecraft__Dude
            the new nether update is..... i cant even describe how awesome it is. its my fav update
            07/04/2020 11:08 am
            Level 19 : Journeyman Pirate
            Joe_was_taken
            Why are piglins so mean? I know your supposed to wear gold armor and not mine gold but why are they even meaner in Bastion Remnants?
            06/20/2020 1:03 am
            Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
            thisguyiscool
            Its coming in 4 days
            06/09/2020 4:04 pm
            Level 18 : Journeyman Crafter
            anteavi
            I really like the Basalt Deltas because it has the dust thingies in the air and it adds a really cool atmosphere. It also feels lonely and mysterious.
            05/13/2020 9:53 am
            Level 15 : Journeyman Miner
            Minecraftfano
            Today's new snapshot!!!!!!!?!!?!?!😅
            05/06/2020 2:19 pm
            Level 58 : Grandmaster Miner
            WandererReece
            I read Mojang decided to nerf Twisted Vines today. I got kinda scared, so I decided to test it. It's not much of a nerf. 1.25 stacks of bonemeal was enough to go from y1 to y255. Ladders remain obsolete!
            05/06/2020 6:26 am
            Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
            joy_chu
            So Below sounds AMAZING!!
            04/30/2020 1:51 pm
            Level 37 : Artisan Artist
            bestgamerintheworld24
            I really, really love all the new blacktone and basalt blocks. My favorite color is black, after all
            04/29/2020 6:17 pm
            WandererReece
            I just fell in love with the Twisted Vine. It can be put on almost anything, if not everything, and less than 1 stack of bonemeal can grow it from y1 to y255.

Good by ladders and vines. It was nice knowing you!
            04/25/2020 2:52 pm
            Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
            iSayCr4pAlot
            Wow bro this looks pretty cool I gotta say!
            04/24/2020 12:52 pm
            Level 1 : New Miner
            AnimalLoverx5
            Yeah the pigmen are cool but overall the whole update is awesome!
            04/23/2020 11:56 pm
            Level 50 : Grandmaster Magical Girl
            BIO
            gamer time
            04/23/2020 11:25 pm
            deaz-
            After so many years its going to be fun to come back to the nether and actually enjoy the time i spend there !
            04/23/2020 4:33 pm
            PoeticalEmber
            I am excited for this update! Minecraft has continued to better and better itself with each update, and now the Nether, one of Minecraft's earliest features, is becoming more fleshed out and up to date. Mojang is truly outdoing itself.
            04/23/2020 12:06 pm
            Level 24 : Expert Ninja
            planc_
            A youtuber xisumavoid just stated his speculation that 20w17a might be the last snapshot before 1.16 release. I still am a little bit upset that they renamed the zombie pigman to zombified piglin instead of zombie piglin.
            04/26/2020 6:35 am
            Level 29 : Expert Geek
            PrivateGamerNotBusaruba
            Bit weird. But zombified piglin sounds sort of scientific if you know what I mean!
            04/24/2020 3:21 am
            Level 99 : Overlord Programmer
            MamiyaOtaru
            I'd be rather surprised. There's at least one nasty bug in 20w17a that corrupts older worlds (rain underground, maps messed up). I guess they could do a bugfix version and call it a release candidate, and not do any more "snapshots" with added features or anything. But 20w17a makes a ton of changes under the hood and I suspect it's going to get some time to get them all verified working smoothly
            04/24/2020 5:30 am
            Level 24 : Expert Ninja
            planc_
            That is terrifying. Backward compatibility is important because I want to keep my stuff in the older map.
            04/23/2020 9:01 am
            Creeper_aw_man-
            I mean, I like the update but I’m going to miss the pigmen
            04/23/2020 10:25 am
            swunglepord862_Alt
            truth
            04/23/2020 8:14 amhistory
            Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
            MysticMage
            When Grian posted his Video on YouTube in wich he said, he´d love to see broken portals in minecraft, I thought that this never will be added :-) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE72KSMOSDM)
            04/23/2020 5:54 am
            Level 1 : New Explorer
            JetDrop45
            is it not supposed to be out today
            04/22/2020 11:06 pm
            Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
            k0neko
            I like alot of the new blocks, they did a great job!
            04/22/2020 8:38 pmhistory
            Level 25 : Expert Engineer
            Mr_Nobody1166
            Oh, also, besides what I said previously about Bastions, I absolutely LOVE the /locatebiome command! It's a great quality of life command which makes it easy to find a mushroom island or any other rare biome without using a mapping tool like Amidst. It's really overlooked and underrated, and I wanted you to bring your attention to it.
            04/29/2020 5:54 pm
            WandererReece
            Yes, that is so underrated. Only the majority of players requested that for years.
            04/22/2020 7:03 pm
            Level 30 : Artisan Toast
            mouse36
            just in case anyone's seen Grian's video on suggestions for the nether update, they actually took most of his suggestions (probably because he's on Hermitcraft haha), including the ruined portals. i'm looking forward to nether geysers!
            04/29/2020 6:01 pm
            WandererReece
            Grian isn't the first to suggest it. Many other players suggested it before the Nether Update was announced. Most players justified their suggestion with, "There's nothing in the game that hints Nether Portals exist."

Honestly, I'm surprised Mojang finally added it despite the fact this is the "Nether Update".

I'm also greatly surprised that there is a Nether Update.
            04/22/2020 3:22 pm
            Level 70 : Legendary Necromancer
            Asp_B
            Tp Makers are so hyped !
            04/22/2020 2:57 pm
            Level 19 : Journeyman Dragon
            Eaglewing
            I like most of it so far, but the thing i don't really like is the bastions, they are just blackstone chuncks with tunnels carved into them.
            It would be nice if Mojang fixed them up to be better and cleaner
            04/23/2020 9:06 am
            Creeper_aw_man-
            So the nether until now just not netherack
            04/23/2020 10:40 am
            Level 19 : Journeyman Dragon
            Eaglewing
            haha, wait, i don't rly get it
            04/22/2020 1:30 pm
            Level 25 : Expert Dragon
            Armok
            I've been absolutely loving the nether update so far, really happy we finally have a nice black block to build with, and It'll be fun returning to the nether and enslaving hanging out with the new piglin inhabitants

also netherite just looks badass af, really happy we have something that isn't garish to look at as the end tier, and hopefully this'll meant future diamond upgrades too
            04/22/2020 12:49 pm
            thatcrazeykid 118
            Pigstep is so cool!
            04/22/2020 9:50 am
            PrivateGamerNotBusaruba
            Ruined portals and chains are just a good idea! Think, chains will let me use lanterns as ceiling lamps, and ruined portals, don't need to bring obsidian anymore!
            04/22/2020 4:00 pm
            Level 32 : Artisan Enchanter
            Culpeo
            "All too easy." - Darth Vader
            04/26/2020 6:32 am
            PrivateGamerNotBusaruba
            🤣🤣🤣
            04/26/2020 11:26 am
            Level 32 : Artisan Enchanter
            Culpeo
            deep quotes
            05/16/2020 9:45 am
            PrivateGamerNotBusaruba
            yup
            04/22/2020 7:58 amhistory
            Level 40 : Master Crab
            khajiity
            new music
            because they all sound spooky to me
            my favourite is probably chrysopoeia
            04/21/2020 7:57 pm
            Level 40 : Master Droid
            jellyfishh
            The music is so cool!
            04/21/2020 5:09 pm
            Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
            BogiTheKozak
            Wow. Finally took some time to look into this. It looks amazing, cant wait for all those new blocks!
            04/21/2020 4:43 pm
            Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
            PigIin
            I love my motherland
            04/21/2020 3:35 pmhistory
            Level 11 : Journeyman Skinner
            purplechesire
            i love this! so excited for this. the nether is getting more ''life'' lets say it like that. also i loved pigstep.
            04/21/2020 3:25 pm
            Level 40 : Master Droid
            jellyfishh
            wut r ruined portals?
            04/21/2020 7:31 pm
            Level 42 : Master Procrastinator
            ElectroSheep_
            they're portals... but ruined!
            04/21/2020 9:04 pm
            Level 1 : New Explorer
            TekkStorm
            well, yeah
            04/21/2020 3:16 pm
            Level 26 : Expert Artist
            JamAxo
            GUYS PIGLINS DANCE IN BEDROCK EDITION I NEVER KNEW THIS ITS OS CUTE AHHHH
            04/21/2020 2:10 pm
            Level 1 : New Crafter
            BowlingBoy
            04/21/2020 2:01 pm
            Level 42 : Master Unicorn
            JadeFire170
            Here's my opinion on this update (As I said, this is an opinion. No hate please, ty. <3)

The nether has needed an update for quite a long time now, and it's good that we are getting one now and not later.
            I love the new biomes, ambient noises, chains, ruined nether portals, and some of the new blocks. Those are my favorite things that I am looking forward too. However, I am not too excited about everything else. The new music, maybe. But it isn't the same knowing that Daniel Rosenfeld didn't compose it.

I'm not a person who is against change, but if it's a change that somehow violates my nostalgia... then that is a different circumstance lol.
            It's good that most fans are accepting the update, but this update has ups and downs in my opinion.

If anyone has some input about this statement, feel free to reply! I'm open to see what everyone else thinks about it. :)
            04/21/2020 1:39 pm
            Kharn_Betrayer
            I hope they improve music in game, because there is moments when music just needed (Long Adventure, Farming mobs, Building) and you just can't turn music ON, you must only wait when it comes by random.
            Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
            www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome