Tourette's Awareness Month Eventinsert_invitation

interlude_vi's Avatar interlude_vi5/19/21 7:59 pm history
26 emeralds 529 15
5/30/2021 10:44 pm
Spongie's Avatar Spongie

(thread banner made by me)

Tourette's awareness month beings may 15th, and ends june 15th, as a whole month of spreading awareness about this disorder
many people don't know what tourettes is, or have a stereotypical view on the definition

🎗

Tourette's Syndrome is a chronic, neurological disorder that causes uncontrollable movements of the body and/or sounds called tics
Tourette's typically comes with at least two fine motor tics (movement of the body, ex eye blinking or fidgeting of fingers), and one vocal tic
however, it's a lot more complex than what i stated above. for example, i was diagnosed with Tourette's when i was very little. i had a vocal tic at the time, as well as some fine motor tics. but as of now, i don't currently have a vocal tic, but various other fine motor tics (like scrunching my nose, slightly tilting my neck back, etc.)
tics can come and go, one might start with a vocal tic but then not have it as they get older. it can go the other way as well, where one might start without a vocal tic, but then develop one.

🎗

the stereotype with Tourette's is that if you have it, then you'll say/yell out swear words. in some very rare cases, a vocal tic could be saying a specific swear word(s), however, this is extremely rare. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, but not everyone with Tourette's has a vocal tic like that
the unfortunate thing is, people tend to go with this stereotype, and it can be very harmful to someone who does experience Tourette's
trust me, as someone with a lot of noticeable tics, it's hard to get past the "oh so you say random swear words too?" question
i'm not saying it's others' faults. this tends to be the case because a lot of people don't really know what Tourette's is
which is why i am creating this thread!

🎗

over the course of this month, i'd love to see some skins/artworks/etc that help spread awareness for Tourette's
that's why i'm asking pmc to help out this month, and give us some creative skins or blogs or even mob models that carry the message of Tourette's
you don't need to know a ton about Tourette's to participate ! feel free to ask me any questions you have, or do some in depth research on the topic!

if anyone is interested in helping me out with this event, feel free to dm me or send me a guest book post! ♥

🎗

so you might have seen the teal ribbon theme of this thread. that's because the ribbon color for Tourette's awareness is teal!

this is just a starting point, but try to make a skin with the teal ribbon theme! again, this is just a starting point, feel free to go wild and creative with this, as long as the skin itself has that theme of spreading awareness about Tourette's!

🎗

i'll be making a collection of skins for this event! so if you've made a skin, please tag it with "TourettesAwarenessMonth2021" and link it here so i can add it to the collection!
collection link
🎗

i will also be taking artworks! if you have any art for this event, please post it here in this thread, and i'll add it to the table below along with your user!
UserArt Piece (skins, drawings, etc.)
interlude_vi𝔤𝔢𝔱 𝔦𝔱, 𝔩𝔢𝔱 𝔦𝔱 𝔯𝔬𝔩𝔩 / 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔯𝔢𝔱𝔱𝔢𝔰 𝔞𝔴𝔞𝔯𝔢𝔫𝔢𝔰𝔰 𝔪𝔬𝔫𝔱𝔥 Minecraft Skin
Fawnei can't remember if i already have a skin titled sunflower Minecraft Skin
CactiFernAwareness Minecraft Skin
Mellieb e a u t y ♡ (tourettes' awareness month) Minecraft Skin
AurosiliaTeal Ribbon Minecraft Skin
FinalTourettes Awareness Month ! Minecraft Skin
SpongieBeautiful Just the Way You Are | Tourette's Awareness Month Minecraft Skin

🎗

have Tourette's? wanna be featured here? ask! i'll be updating this with pmc members that have Tourette's and are comfortable with answering some of the questions yall have! please send me a dm if you wanna be featured here!

members to contact with any questions you have about Tourette's!
interlude_vi
user059585848488
CactiFern

🎗

this event will last until june 15th, which is that last day of Tourette's awareness month
after the event is over, i'll make a reflection post, sharing how the event went, and some of my favorite skins + artworks!
so please don't let this flop lol ;p

🎗

i believe that's it! if i missed anything, i'll go back and edit this
feel free to ask any questions, about the event or about Tourette's!
interlude_vi
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Alien