Is Minecraft going too far?

Roroo's Avatar Roroo5/31/19 3:16 pm
27 emeralds 4.2k 127
6/24/2019 10:40 am
Knux's Avatar Knux
Hello, people.

It's been a while since my last post. I am here to ask you - Minecraft gamers - what your thoughts are on the new updates on Minecraft, mostly 1.13 and 1.14.

Ever since I started playing Minecraft in 2012, I had kept watching the game grow and grow with its never-ending features and additions. I loved it all!

Until we reached 1.12. It was a nice colorful update which was followed up by - in my opinion - a catastrophic update which ruined the fun of playing "vanilla" Minecraft. It stopped feeling like I am playing what I used to play 2012. Of course the game won't grow without constant updates, but has Minecraft carried it too far?

What I had liked about Minecraft before was that it had two kinds of gameplays. A vanilla gameplay, and a modded gameplay, but now I see the developers on Minecraft are just taking every single mod idea there could ever be and adding it to the actual game.

Pillagers? Raids? I don't think this is what Minecraft's about.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree? Do you not? I'll be grateful if you're honest about it :D
Roroo
Level 43 : Master Pig

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/31/2019 4:35 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Artist
QuinoaFalafel
I almost completely agree with you.

I feel like Minecraft has slowly but progressively been adding content that is directly aimed at the younger more numerous audience. Looking back, it probably actually did start when Microsoft got ownership. With each new update, I shook my head more and more at the things that they were adding. They seemed so trivial and gimmicky, not at all in the spirit of Minecraft.

Yet I did eventually warm up to each new update, to the point where I actually quite love Minecraft 1.13. But 1.14 went above and beyond what I thought they were capable of in terms of ruining Minecraft for me.

For starters, I hate the new textures, and think that they completely ruin my experience. But there also wasn't a single good thing (in my opinion) that they added, that didn't at least alter some mechanic so drastically that I hated it.

1.14 was the first update that I ever actively dreaded the release of. I'm more than open to adding and expanding content, but the issue is that they are altering content, slowly transforming the game into something far less universal, but unfortunately much more profitable. At this point, I really just want them to stop updating the java version permanently, so they can't do any more damage, and modders can correct their mistakes.
05/31/2019 4:40 pm
QuinoaFalafel
Another game breaking change in 1.14 was all the changes to villagers. I have a survival world that I have played with my brothers for years, that has grown to be very advanced. We have begun our own cities, created nations complete with constitutions we wrote, built printing presses, released newsletters and books, and all of this is centered around the villagers as the individual characters.

With 1.14 changes, the core mechanics that we rely on to build our nations are destroyed, and I honestly don't know where to go from here (if it were up to me, I would remain on 1.13, but it's not).
05/31/2019 5:17 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
", I really just want them to stop updating the java version permanently, so they can't do any more damage, and modders can correct their mistakes."

Stick to an older version. Done.
05/31/2019 5:19 pm
QuinoaFalafel
I mean, yeah, that works, but it disconnects you from the majority of the community.
06/09/2019 10:21 am
raidarr
Then it is evident that the majority of the community does not see things their way, and so there is little that can be done. If everyone else is not satisfied going to a prior version, then evidently there's a majority that doesn't think any damage is being dealt at all, and rather enjoys the correction. Those that do perceive damage have the full ability to go elsewhere.
06/09/2019 7:47 pm
QuinoaFalafel
I never said that the majority sees the recent updates as unfortunate. In fact, it's the vast minority. But it doesn't make recent developments any less tragic, frustrating, or disheartening to the people who don't want to see Minecraft catering to mainstream demands. And many of the people who (like me) see recent updates as damaging to what Minecraft should be, are the people who would never leave Minecraft. Which is all the more reason to be so deeply affected by the direction it is taking. if something is really important to you, then of course you'll be upset when it changes for - in your view - the worse. And we have a right to be very upset about it.
06/09/2019 9:07 pm
raidarr
You have the right to be as upset as you like, and others have the right to rebuke statements that will literally never happen or are just plain silly, such as the one I originally quoted. You're mad. Great. Stick to what remains great, which is perfectly accessible for you and those like minded, or simply move along. Or continue spouting to the void, where nothing will change save people's opinions slightly to the worse for the relative waste of time that it is going on about how the game is ruined.

Others additionally have the right to say 'you're daft, it's perfectly fine', and others still can say 'meh'. The only break of the cycle is if you give specific reasons that gameplay as it was before is no longer playable, thus making for yourself an actual objective metric for what's gone downhill and making it so you have something worth discussing. Without details, you're literally the stereotypical old guy shaking a stick at new kids without definitively saying what went wrong. Except I am perfectly capable of doing everything I ever did in prior versions, and I am a user who began in the classic era. Not all oldguard feel the same way, certainly.

Granted, my aims in minecraft have always been unusual, as well as my interpretation of what it is. My origin in the game left me with the firm believe that minecraft is a creative venture and not inherently a survival one since the beginning, and thus considering creative the true mode of the game. That's certainly not a popular opinion considering alpha/beta users and on who began with only survival (which I skipped in favor of remaining on classic until 1.0) and then survival as default from then onwards. But I digress.
05/31/2019 9:05 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
The obvious rejoinder to that position is:

"Just play modded"

Each player can then get the additions he wants without incurring the lag inducing overhead of those changes he would prefer to avoid.

Had the pillagers (raids and outposts) been released as an official mod (or two) the negative impacts would have been avoided.
Ditto the village/villager mechanics changes.
06/09/2019 10:22 am
raidarr
I don't know about you, but these days I'm all into the mods when I do actually play. Only reason I boot up a vanilla version is for the sake a a server once in a while for the same line of thought as what you state.
06/05/2019 4:01 pm
Roroo
So correct, the textures were so nostalgic and pretty, why change them?

And 1.13 is not too bad after all. 1.14? Nope.

The main problem we're facing is that the new updates are not reminding us what the spirit of minecraft was and should still be..
06/05/2019 4:58 pm
QuinoaFalafel
Precisely. 1.14 feels more like a mod than an update. It's not that the new content is poor quality, it's just that most of it shouldn't be part of the vanilla game.
06/09/2019 12:22 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Hunter
SeamusTheHunter
Almost every texture has changed, what shall we do? If only there were a built-in resource pack that substituted in the old textures...
06/09/2019 7:50 pm
QuinoaFalafel
Yeah, but villagers still suck with the Programmer Art pack. And besides, half of the reason it's so unfortunate is that if you use the Programmer Art pack, the majority of other people won't be able to fully appreciate your builds, and vice versa. The Programmer Art pack is far from a end-all be-all solution.
05/31/2019 4:47 pm
Level 87 : Elite Deity
Captain_JEK
I like Minecraft 1.13 a lot. The new trapdoor and button versions of all wood types and prismarine slabs and stairs are helping so much. Many of the things I built would not have been possible without them.
Although there weren't added so many new universal blocks in 1.14 (most of them have a pretty predetermined purpose) I still think they can be used in numerous creative ways.
So, I wouldn't say "Minecraft is going too far", in my opinion they could have gone a lot farther.
05/31/2019 9:00 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Both 1.13 and [potentially, as it's still a work in progress] 1.14 added some good things, but also change the basic rules of the game in highly unfortunate ways.

1.13:
added a large number of new variants of blocks which (if not functionally different) at least serviced the aesthetic builders without much in the way of negative impact.
This was due to the effective removal of the block number limitation; a gift one expects to keep on giving. :)
The new water column elevators [up & down] are nice (but would have been better if added with out largely breaking the older 'bubble-vators').
MS/Mj bowed to wiser heads and walked back both an attempt to remove a commonly used RS feature [1-tick sticky piston behavior] and the more extreme form of the new water physics originally attempted. (They did, however, miss a trick in not expanding the range of fences (and similar blocks) so that water flow blocking, water flow permitting, and mob/item sieving variants were included.)
The command syntax rework (while painful) was well timed: a high percentage of command/command blocks in use would have needed reworking simply to comply with the new block names/ids.

Where 1.13 went farthest off the rails, however, was in mob spawning changes:
☠ having put considerable effort into providing a way to built underwater without 'bubbles' from non-full blocks (something that was greatly appreciated by the aesthetic/creative build community), MS/Mj largely defeated this objective by allowing mid-water spawns for the new drowned mob the effect of which is to require large, view- & movement-blocking matrixes of lights suspended around water builds to make such survival friendly. (These lighting matrixes are also generally seen as unsightly, as are the floor to surface fencing needed at the outer edges.)
☠ MobB (as implemented, rather than the version teased – and for which votes were cast) also breaks a number of mob-spawning rules in a fashion that at least gives the strong appearance as having been choosen in an attempt to break AFK and farming. [MobB spawns in mid air, without respect to (but counted against) the hostile mob cap.] Both of these features also make creating outdoor areas that can be used safely at night effectively impossible. [The cat-fear mechanic which (AFAIK) is still in the latest 1.14 snapshots is a poor solution because of both cat teleport and entity lag issues. ]

1.14:
continued the addition of long requested variant blocks (largely slabs, stairsm and walls) and hit a grand slam with the composter which (if not particularly efficient) transformed a varient of previously useless-due-to-super-abundance items (eg wheat seeds) into minimally valuable materials. (The enchanment to Xp function of the grindstone being a success – though a lesser one – in giving value to various enchanted 'junk'; eg Protection1 leather boots, Power3 bows, etc.)

The addition of WS for villagers (and the daily schedule) are also interesting, but would have been considerably better if these had been made in addition to the previous mechanics (rather than an all-prior-build-breaking change).
The changed definition of a village [1.14 snapshots appear to consider a single villager with a single in-range POI sufficient] and the illager raid/outpost additions effectively create a (very large) 'mini'-game that has found far from universal acclaim. [So much so that the normally MS/Mj embracing Hermitcraft has created a datapack to allow various aspects of this to be disabled.]
The iterative changes to villager/iron golem mechanics durring the development cycle – which saw a number of builds that achieved
reasonable rates under the new mechanics broken by the next change – leave a particularly foul taste. [As does the more recent change to mob pathfinding that was made in the post-'release' snapshots, just after a prominent technical player provided a guide to how the previous (long-standing) version could be utilized. (Nor did the new pathfinding match or approach the performance of some of the pathfinding upgrades that had previously been showcased. )]

In summary, it is not that MS/Mj has gone too far, but that they have taken MC in a direction largely antithetical to the stable sandbox model that has been the basis of its success.
05/31/2019 9:15 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
06/02/2019 1:35 am
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
05/31/2019 9:45 pmhistory
Level 56 : Grandmaster Artist
ebbony
I do like all these updates, but it’s not good for people new to Minecraft who will have endless things to learn.
06/09/2019 12:31 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Hunter
SeamusTheHunter
That's not necessarily a bad thing, it gives one lots to explore and learn about the game. Terraria's even bigger in terms of content to find for blind players.
05/31/2019 10:21 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
Troglodev
Agreed. I honestly think minecraft should retire, or at the very least, not go so big with their updates. They should just do smaller updates like adding new ores, or crafting recipes with already existing items or something. Don't take it the wrong way when I say they should retire. Minecraft is am incredible game and it's had an amazing run, I just thing they're dragging it on for too long, to the point where it's not simplistic anymore, which is what it was intended to be.
05/31/2019 11:43 pm
QuinoaFalafel
Or if they just did all of the things that should, by all standards, already be in the game. I mean, sure, they finally added some new slabs and stairs, but why did they not also make slab and stair variants of concrete? Terracottta? Heck, it might not make a ton of practical sense, but why not even make, say, dirt slabs and stairs.

I honestly don't care what they do with bedrock edition, even if they want to pretend it's the main Minecraft version. Just stop trying to turn the java edition into it.
06/01/2019 12:50 am
Level 34 : Artisan Botanist
likalaruku
I definitely want slabs & stairs & doors to come in terracotta or concrete. How can anyone recreate Santorini if there's no blue doors? Stairs just flat out need to come in every block type there is.
05/31/2019 10:31 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc2558251
[deleted]
05/31/2019 11:37 pm
QuinoaFalafel
It can be very frustrating when you have an old and established world what, on principle, is meant to be a vanilla world. You can't necessarily stop updating a world like that, because then it is no longer purely vanilla.

Though, I suspect the majority of people are frustrated because almost all servers will ultimately update, so if you refuse to do so, you're left out of a good chunk of the multiplayer community.

Also, the more in-depth into the mechanics your world is, the more significant changes to them can be. If I had only started playing Minecraft in the past year or so, I would be far less opposed to 1.14. But, since i have years worth of learning to understand and relying on certain mechanics that have now been completely reworked, the effects are catastrophic. It all really depends on how you play Minecraft.
06/01/2019 12:47 amhistory
Level 34 : Artisan Botanist
likalaruku
Every new version brings both the good & the bad.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the smarter villagers. I like to create huge villages, sometimes cities. Villagers will now wander out of town, endlessly looking for work stations & beds & town bells. If you have any legacy version maps or megavillages generated from a few lines of code added to custom superflat worlds (RIP), then you have to go in & add all of that stuff. It could take forever.

The code to make villages spawn closely together in great numbers no longer works. & I wan't particularly happy when villages started spawning with solid foundations under the buildings & paths, because I got a kick out of terraforming disasterspawns into functional multilevel towns with lots of stairs. However, when they spawn over water, this is the one time I like the change.

They're pretty old by now, but I never liked the golems. They spawn in ridiculous numbers in player-made villages, get stuck on fences & in between tight spaces. They're always in your way when you're trying to build. They are 100% useless in Peaceful & should not spawn if enemies cannot spawn. The bug fixing team has been trying to fix their spawning problem for years.

I hate the dolphins; they eat all of the fish in my ponds & aquariums. They keep bumping me when I'm trying to build underwater.

I hate the wandering trader. He's always invisible & getting his llamas stuck in doors, & they make the most godawful irritating noise. He also constantly gets in my way when trying to build. & unlike the villagers, he doesn't take a hint after being punched.

I am not looking forward to the termites that were announced. I hope to god they do not spawn in Peaceful. That sounds like a builder's nightmare on par with Creepers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of all the decoration blocks they've added over the years. There will never be enough different types of slabs, stairs, & doors to sate my taste for variety, though making colored concrete or terracotta varieties of all those things would definitely thrill me.

I was super excited when all of the new biomes & trees & flowers came out. Hope we get another round of new biomes & plants in the future. Looking forward to the new baobab trees.

I love all of the new passive mobs. They make the world feel less desolate & quiet. Not that the rabbits make much noise. Looking forward to the new ostrich mob.

I love all of the new crops.

I like that armor stands can now hold non weapon items like the picture frames do.

In newly spawned villages where I don't have to spend hours & days adding workstations & beds & bells, the new villager behavior is perfectly fine. It's rather amusing watching them trade with eachother, because it often looks like they're having a food fight.

I like that cats spawn on villager beds. They should have their own dogs spawn in villages too.

Having spent a lot of time in 1.7, 1.8, & 1.12.2 recently, I have to say that 1.14 has less lag, renders a helluva lot faster, has less lighting & shadow issues, & I'm pretty sure flying 7 sprinting is a little faster too.

The oceans look infinitely better in every possible way now.
06/01/2019 1:09 am
QuinoaFalafel
Reading you're comment, I think you might really appreciate the Lord of the Rings mod. Although calling it a mod doesn't do it justice. Even if you aren't interested in the Lord of the Rings, the mod adds hundreds of new blocks, and lots of variants for them.

The terrain generation is some of the most beautiful I've ever seen, and there is so much attention to detail to fill out the world. I mean, there are 35 new tree types, over a hundred biomes, tons of new passive mobs, and all of the textures are gorgeous.

This is also all in the Middle-earth dimension, where vanilla mobs don't spawn, so it really is like being transported to a whole new world. It is in 1.7.10, but the creator has added versions of a lot of recent vanilla features, and it is an active mod, that likely won't stop updating in some capacity for years.

I hope this has been useful, and that you can appreciate the mod as much as I do.
06/01/2019 1:08 amhistory
Level 49 : Master Dolphin
pale1
I disagree with you. I think the direction minecraft is going in is perfect. For starters the new texturepack in 1.14 is amazing. As a builder, I have to say that everything looks so much better with the new resource pack. My terrain looks better, the block variation looks better, and it's much smoother.

As for the influx of new mobs and structures, I'm all for it. My friends and I tried to have a little nostalgia moment by opening upa server on a beta version of Minecraft a little while ago. I was overjoyed initially. I felt like I was right back in my childhood (been playing since 2011 back when I was in middle school). I explored a while, found some diamonds, and built a pretty cool fort, but after that was done, I felt really empty. I didn't know what else to do with myself. Back in the beta, the nether had no temples, there was no End, etc. I had reached the end game and was bored so I quit. My friends got bored shortly after and we closed the server in less than a week.

Because of this, I feel like Minecraft is going in the right direction by adding more content. 1.14 feels like the best update I've played in a while. I usually stick to playing solely multiplayer because of all of the crazy things people can make with plugins, but I finally feel like I enjoy singleplayer again. I started up my world, found a village, traded with the villagers and built a house with stables for my horse. Outside my house I set up a farm and let the villagers work the field. I've been spending most of my time redecorating the village by making the houses look more functional (blacksmith's shop, fisherman's huts, Leather worker shop, etc.). All of this would have been impossible in the beta mind you.

Microsoft and Mojang are making all of the right moves right now which is why this game is back in the limelight again.
06/01/2019 2:37 am
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/01/2019 7:54 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer
SuperMBTutorials
I completely agree, i dont wanna fill this comment section with a copy paste, but if u share the same opinion, check out my post www.planetminecraft.com/forums/minecraft/discussion/my-opinion-on-modern-minecraft-588237/
06/01/2019 3:18 amhistory
Level 4 : Apprentice Farmer
BabyBlueberry
My idea of survival was get diamonds. Other people, kill the ender dragon and tame the nether. That still exists, yes, but now it's easy.

Minecraft, to me, has began pushing types of gameplay - it's no longer really a sandbox for me. It's becoming more and more like a silly little RPG every update.

All the new block types added are absolutely fantastical - for creative. Not so much for survival. Sure, you can build a house out of wood if you want, but maybe I don't like all the god awful spruce trees and forests that seem to be endless in my worlds. I'd rather end up with just the oak and birch biomes entirely. No matter how far I explore, it's just spruce.

Anyways, off topic. The new blocks are cool, yeah, but, not horribly practical for survival - not true survival at least. That being said, I don't find survival to be survival anymore. I have to practically try to hug a creeper for me to die now. There is no more falling to my death in a cave, or being mobbed by skeletons, or, oh gods, my one true fear, a spider jockey. There is no more building shelters, there's now walking 15 blocks from spawn and just camping out in a village for the rest of my survival career. Free bed, crafting tables, loot, - even a free iron golem. Not only is it hard to just die now, but it's hard to fail in general.

The ever elusive mooshroom biome now practically doesn't exist at all. That used to be a treat, now it's a chore. Now I have all these silly little specific, fancy crafting tables that I'm very much not cool with. If I ever, ever happen to need a certain block, god forbid, now I have to make this whole new block for it for this one time thing.

Arguably it is a positive that things are being fleshed out as they are - yes, squidward-noses with personalities is cool. But they're being fleshed out in pathetic ways that I frankly just call filler content.Ocelots and cats are different things now? Cool! I guess... Foxes are cute! They eat berries! But, like, that's all? I can excuse pandas, jungles were absolutely wretchedly desolate, and panda variants were clever enough for me to be intrigued. Arguably though, still useless.

Mechanics of the game are another matter entirely that I'm personally not well educated on but can certainly voice that there was a change that I thoroughly did not like.

Mods that used to be absolutely golden, like Mo' Creatures, are now made obsolete. Minecraft in those 1.6-1.7-1.8 stages were golden because yeah they were underdeveloped, but that allowed for people to mod their game, get the things they wanted, get the things they didn't know they needed, all with the extra flair of being made by someone not up in the big system. Little flavors of mechanics that differed from what was currently there. Now, I'd argue that Minecraft isn't compatible with mods at all.

The only reason I haven't reverted my game back to my version of the "good old days" is because the new updates have just enough stuff in them to make me miss the new updates. Mainly the new blocks. All in all, I kind of feel like I'm being conned to keep using the new updates, there's just enough good for me to use it, but it certainly leaves a bitter taste in my mouth with all the useless and arguably bad things that come with it.

Edited for: this was a frickin' mess
06/01/2019 3:43 am
Level 31 : Artisan Professor
EndPlayz
It might be annoying now, but you will probably get used to the new stuff, I think the updates are good in general, with some bad things here and there (practically killing iron farms, an essential thing for late game creativity)

But if you remember 1.5, the redstone update, or 1.9, with its combat changes. Both were massively criticised by the players, saying "automation is not Minecraft" or "don't change such a basic thing as combat"

Well I think hoppers are ok now (1.5) and yea, combat might be annoying to some, but I have gotten used to it.
06/01/2019 9:39 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I get that Minecraft isn't what it used to be, and that the addition of raids in 1.14 as well as the new water stuff in 1.13. I think it's progress, and I belive most of the community would agree. It doesn't feel like Mojang has been pushing to get new content into the game, but instead more as if they were taking it slowly and getting the feedback from the community (via their feedback site) to hear what they wanted.

And if 1.12 was the last good update for you, then I know there are lots of servers out there that can offer you a 1.12 experience. That goes for the old 1.8 players as well, heck! I found a server that was called something alike NostaligicCraft where they ran a survival server, but it was the first beta release of Minecraft :'D

While yes, 1.14 doesn't feel like "minecraft" it kinda does. It just feels like a more grown up version of Minecraft. A place for everyone from the builders with their colourful blocks in 1.12, their water elevators in 1.13. The coders, the texture creators. At least in my eyes - While not everything has been good in 1.13+, I think the pro's of these versions, heavily outweighs the con's :)
06/01/2019 5:26 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
Moobles
I have always played minecraft the same way since I started, explore until I find a good place for a build, build something there, move along. For me it doesn't really matter what they add so long as they provide me with the tools I have always used.

1.14 added what? some new mobs, some new biomes, and rehauled the villager system? Personally I like that, as the old system was ripe for exploitation by creating massive door-rooms for iron-golem farms. New biomes? always neat to explore and find something new. New mobs? always up for a callenge when it comes to fighting, or taming or whatever.

The situation is that the minecraft team need to change things to update them, otherwise it is no update. People complained about the combat-change, people complained about the countless redstone-changes. You know what? people learn to deal with it, and many actually find they enjoy the newer versions.

I know I will find myself complaining about a change if I feel it goes against the spirit of the game, but none of us do dictate what that spirit is. Microsoft and Mojang does.

Until they change something fundamental about either mining, crafting or building you will see no complaints from me.
06/01/2019 7:48 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer
SuperMBTutorials
I agree that the game for alot of people was alot more enjoyable in the 2012 era of minecraft when it was fresh, if u want you can check out my post, and i think we share alot of the same opinions www.planetminecraft.com/forums/minecraft/discussion/my-opinion-on-modern-minecraft-588237/
06/01/2019 7:59 pm
Level 47 : Master Robot
Wikimaster0
I honestly think it needs these new grand updates to be able to compete with Hytale's large amount of content. And I don't want to see Minecraft lose a ton of players to Hytale.
06/02/2019 1:36 am
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/09/2019 1:23 pm
QuinoaFalafel
To me, the spirit of Minecraft means that it would be illogical to even think that Hytale could compete with it. Rather, by adding the sort of content that Hytale might add, Minecraft is turning itself more into the kind of game that Hytale will be, rather than remaining primarily a platform of expression. To be fair, this will all make Minecraft more successful, but success does not account for everything. There is a big difference between popular and high quality. many masterpieces get little recognition in their time. I feel that Minecraft is sacrificing its quality for popularity, a business model which is extremely successful, but is very unfortunate for the minority of players who play the game primarily for creative expression.
06/01/2019 8:06 pm
Level 47 : Master Wizard
starcure
I personally think they are going too far. It was cool with new commands and a few new blocks (I am enjoying new stairs and logs) but when I explored the newer updates and saw things like pandas, bamboo, and etc, I was so upset. I honestly hate where Minecraft is headed; I really miss older versions. I understand people liking it, I do love that Minecraft is still up and running, but I wish most of these changes could stay as mods or texture packs. Thanks for bringing this up!
06/01/2019 9:23 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc565853
[deleted]
06/04/2019 9:13 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
404_name_missing
New stuff is bad, and we are oppressed. We're given the illusion of choice between new Minecraft and Hytale (same game, different name, slightly different look.) We're given garbage that's overhyped as a good remake trilogy. (yes, I'm talking about Spyro Reignited Trilogy. Spyro PS1 isn't even a trilogy, it's one game followed by 2 bad imitations full of furry appeal characters. (Of course, furry appeal back then was for marketing to younger audiences, but they made Spyro Reignited for furries in the middle of the Gamer vs Furry war. I know, it seems like a dumb internet meme war, but it was a war between Millennials and Zoomers. There is definitely a conspiracy.) Profile picture checks out. You literally took an F5 selfie with your crossbow. Microsoft shill.
06/08/2019 6:35 pm
anonpmc565853
[deleted]
06/01/2019 11:38 pm
Level 26 : Expert Explorer
ChronoFury
Well, Minecraft has not gone too far. Far from it in fact. The updates that we received on the past few years pale in comparison to the updates that most AAA games are getting.

The fact is that constant updates are necessary to draw in new players. Seeing some of the comments here about how Mojang should stop updating Minecraft to further "ruin" it, is quite sad to be honest.

Sure, Minecraft can always rely on nostalgia and not update the game. We will likely keep playing - but for how long?

The game needs to attract new players in order to survive and updates are the best way to hook new players in and keep the existing playerbase satisfied.

Wikimaster0 mentioned that Minecraft needs to compete with Hytale's seemingly large amount of content and I agree. Hytale will be a massive game upon launch. Therefore, Minecraft needs to have updates in order to retain its playerbase or they will drop the game quickly and happily move over to Hytale.
06/02/2019 1:37 am
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/05/2019 3:57 pm
Roroo
Just to clarify, I - personally - am not asking the Devs to stop updating Minecraft, but I don't feel the same vibes when playing the new versions. I feel like it's a new game I am not proud of..
06/09/2019 1:39 pm
QuinoaFalafel
I agree on a business standpoint. You are completely right, in that updates are what keep players coming, and without them the majority of the playerbase would leave. But when I stated that I wished they would stop updating, that was a personal desire, one I know will not happen, and that I know the vast majority of the community would strongly disagree with.

The thing is, for a minority of the playerbase, me included, Minecraft isn't just a game. It's a platform for creative expression, and there is nothing short of a real world apacalypse that would stop the game from being played. I would never drop Minecraft. To drop Minecraft would essentially be dropping a part of who I am.

I have never come across anyone, save my brothers and me, who plays Minecraft the way I do. I realize that for most people, the experience is somewhat superficial. But for those of us who use Minecraft as a world to create - and not just buildings, but imaginary societies, governments, religions, characters, etc., all of which I and my brothers have created in our main world - nothing can stop us from playing Minecraft.

Take D&D. People try it out, stop playing, etc. But there will always be people that get really involved with it, and to whom D&D will always hold a special place in their lives. It is the same for Minecraft.

So, if nothing else, take away this. People might leave Minecraft, but there will always be people to whom Minecraft means far more, and even if the game fades to relative obscurity, the game will never die.
06/01/2019 11:54 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Architect
HirsuteWitch
I think the biggest point is that you can play most versions of Minecraft at any point! So if you feel as though a certain update ruined minecraft, you can play before that update only!
06/09/2019 1:17 pm
QuinoaFalafel
This is obviously true, but does have drawbacks. For instance, it cuts you off from the majority of the community. Whether that be with mods or servers, your options will be far more limited.
06/01/2019 11:59 pm
Level 29 : Expert Ranger
cpatainrex75
I think it is moving through the ages like history did. Pretty soon, we'll probably be seeing muskets or something.
06/08/2019 10:04 pm
Level 29 : Expert Ranger
cpatainrex75
maybe even cannons heheheheheheheheheheh
06/03/2019 12:26 am
anonpmc2054575
[deleted]
06/03/2019 9:55 pm
Level 22 : Expert Architect
LoJo Sho
Instability with the server side.

As someone who works on server nearly all the time while playing Minecraft, 1.12.2 is the best version to work on. However, 1.13+ is pretty unstable (from a performance standpoint) which prevents us from upgrading. Everyone I know and who I work with is used to 1.12.2 and how quick and stable it is, as well as the blocks. While 1.13 was an unstable mess for us. We tried and failed, upgrading, always opting to go with 1.12.2. With our latest project, we were going to try 1.14, however, decided against it due to it still had some important bugs to be worked out and performance was still not par with 1.12.2.

If 1.14 final releases or 1.15 massively improve performance and stability, we will be more than welcome to upgrade!!!
(As well, we can't live without WorldPainter xD)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome