forum Forumsplay_arrow PMC fiber_manual_record Discussion

We Need To DO Something

24 emeralds106 replies1,495 views
created 01/22/2019 9:29 am by spygron
last reply 02/19/2019 4:11 pm
All across the world, disaster is striking relentlessly.

Global Warming, Plastic Pollution, Animals having their habitats destroyed.

The Animals Themselves are being slaughtered mercilessly, and even domesticated pets are being abused.

WE are the cause of this mess, and we need to fix this.

It can be done in a few simple ways each day.

Don't litter, and pick up garbage when you see it outside.

Start using green fuels in cars and other vehicles.

Be kind to your pets and the animals of nature when you see them.

Don't tear up forests or destroy land-- there are countless animals that will have nowhere to Go.

So please- Help me make the world a better place--for all of us.
Why is there a poll?
The poll is here so you can vote on what is the biggest problem on Earth currently
Posted by avatar
spygron
Level 33 : Artisan Narwhal

106 replies

02/19/2019 4:11 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Magical Boy
Darth Spookoden
The more we try to do something about it, the worse it gets :P
02/19/2019 11:46 am
Level 31 : Artisan Magical Boy
videogamer1002
bruh global warming is on some fakeass shit
02/19/2019 11:48 am
Level 34 : Artisan Narwhal
spygron
sigh.....are you saying it's fake? BECAUSE ITS NOT AND ALL OF YOU PEOPLE WHO KEEP SAYING IT IS JUST STOP ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02/19/2019 11:53 am
Level 37 : Artisan Engineer
ShelLuser
Yes, shouting is really going to help get your point across.

Thing is: if you look at your history books you'll see that climate change really isn't a modern thing. Most continents and most areas have seen major extremes over the centuries, from tropical climates to Arctic conditions.

But those are topics which some people don't like to hear, even if you can proof this based on facts, and insist that it's the humans who are responsible.

In the end the major problem is that most people think in absolutes and extremist measures, which obviously will result in resistance from people disagreeing. And then you'll get heated arguments which I personally refer to as "pissing contents" (I hope this expression is allowed, if not I won't repeat it) because in the end it's all about "who is right" instead of "how can we come to a mutual acceptable solution".

And the key to that is to listen to every opinion, even if you don't agree with them, without trying to ridicule or ignore it up front. And that's a courtesy more and more people seem to lack these days, with the obvious results.
02/19/2019 11:49 am
videogamer1002
bro could you mind your capital letters please? the shift button is to be used sparingly, and bruh thats just my opinion man
02/19/2019 3:25 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Dulciphi
Why "do something" when we can just sit there and profess that we need to do something while actually doing NOTHING helpful at all?

This is actually the greatest disaster of all, by the way. The way we do something is by doing something. Actually do it yourself. Then talk about what you're doing with others. Let them see that your contribution actually makes a contribution and isn't just signalling false virtue (or, worse, your own neurosis).

It's so easy to make a video showing images of suffering and then upload it to youtube and pretend you've helped to solve a problem. It's even easier to watch that video and then yell at others and make a poll online.

It's much MUCH harder to actually make a contribution that lessens real suffering without creating even more suffering in the process. And that's one of the great tragedies in all of this. Things aren't as certain and clear cut as we'd like them to be. And that's coming from someone who learned that the hard way.

The challenge is that when you begin to act on a problem, you also begin to understand the problem. And why is that a problem? Well because the problem so often turns out to be nothing like the problem you thought it was. Quite often, we find that the "solution" we expected to help actually makes things worse. And things can get so much worse. The upside to that is that they can also get so much better but only if we go about it the right way. Learn about it. That doesn't mean "feel about it". It also doesn't mean choose what you want to believe and then repeat it to others. Get to know the subject.

The greatest problem out of those you listed is a combination of 2, 4 and 5. They're all a part of the same problem and you can't fix it just by shouting at people to check their human privilege.

Number 2 is absurd, sorry. I DON'T recommend you go and lecture a komodo dragon on its cruelty and "abusement" of its prey. Animals are simply trying to survive, just like us (no surprises there. We're animals, too).

The problem with habitat destruction and degradation of the ecosystem is that it wrecks life's ability to adapt by moving to another area. It creates habitat islands and the species are stuck in those islands. So, when the climate changes (and Earth's climate has changed much more rapidly in the past), species are unable to migrate to areas with more favourable conditions for them.

The oil industry (which is where plastics come from) is one of the key contributors to habitat destruction, by the way. It has very little to do with climate but it has a huge impact nonetheless. Work on combating that habitat destruction and you will be making a big difference for the better of the whole planet.

Start local, learn how to document your efforts so others can learn from your experience and, most of all, don't give up. It won't be easy but nothing worth doing ever is.
02/19/2019 3:36 pm
spygron
Thank you :). I will be starting an organization sometime, when I can um, well...actually start it, but for now I will start figuring out ways to solve problems, then I think we could all follow ideas and work together to make the world a better place :)
02/18/2019 1:18 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Mlem Mlem Bat
Romto_
tax evasion
02/19/2019 11:48 am
videogamer1002
taxation is theft
02/19/2019 2:13 pm
Romto_
I see where you're coming from but if we are talking about a fair world I see taxation as a way to help people in need.
A gov has a responsibility to take care of it's people. Taxation is a way to to get money from the people so it can be distributed to people in need or to all. the problem is that a lot of big corparations are evading taxes. this isn't fair to the average person. think of all the things that could actually be achieved if tax evasion wasn't happening. Base income could be a thing, improved healthcare. but Instead we have big companies or rich individuals keeping all the money for themselfs.

I'm not saying if tax evation didn't exist it will all be great. but it will atleast be fair for the average person.
02/18/2019 12:48 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
WungaWunga
I chose other. Although humans are definitely damaging this planet, I’m not buying global warming. My reasons: 1) even though there’s massive coverage on the issue by the major media outlets (which, keep in mind, are all owned by a select few, highly manipulative people), there’s no serious effort (besides protests, lots of talk, and “summits” that only serve to make us feel better) to avoid such a calamity. If global warming was an imminent threat, I doubt even the most corrupt government officials would bake themselves alive just to enjoy some extra $. 2) climate “scientists” have been caught manipulating data to fit their agenda (1). Why wouldn’t they? No global warming = less opportunity to get paid for “climate research.” If there’s no such thing as global warming (or, at least, it’s not nearly as relevant as they make it sound), environmental scientists might lose their jobs! 3) assuming their data is real (highly doubtful, considering it’s their jobs to fabricate global warming), after 140 years we’ve only seen a shaky 1.3 degree increase in temp. Even if that’s caused by humans (again, highly doubtful), while it would definitely be a problem, that’s probably not going to be the worst problem humanity has on its plate. In the end, I think nuclear waste we’re creating to make our energy and our WMDs is the world’s most serious problem. Already, the damage will last for millions of years, and it’s already leaking out of its containers way earlier than expected! Cleaner energy is thhe first step to a cleaner future.
02/18/2019 12:52 pm
WungaWunga
My source: Here. I know, it’s Wikipedia, so it’s definitely not the best source. The introduction, in particular, is pretty well-soaked in bias. Just scroll down and take a look at what actually took place and make your own observations; don’t rely on Wikipedia to make your conclusions for you.
02/18/2019 5:21 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Fish
CHorse
Ooooohhhhh boyyy do we got a thing to deal with here xD

Ok firstly 1: well, there are some efforts, the best though we can do is prevention, which currently we're working on alternative energy sources, but progress is slow due to oil industries basically wanting to screw everything over. They killed the electric car back in the day no reason they won't do everything to stop em nowadays. Also, the summits are just to try and agree that 'hey guys can we not make our place so screwed?' And also you'd be surprised rly :L A lot of people are like you in the higher ups; even if it really is gonna happen A: they wouldn't believe it til they are ded and B: they'd probably die before the effects hit hard, so why not milk those last few years for money?

2: Yeah, 'climate' 'scientists'. Look, this one's obvious xD If you use air quotes to disown them then in most cases, they're probably not good climate scientists at all. Don't listen to em; twas a one time thing and actually, if I remember correctly that entire situation was a bit misframed more on that later.
  -Oh we're pulling the 'why wouldn't they?' card are we? xD Well, think about it, math is wrong, I mean, why wouldn't they lie about math to make us pay for more money? I bet those darned insurance companies lie about how much it really costs, and so does the bank! I mean, why wouldn't they lie? They can take your money like that, and the government is helping them because why wouldn't they?

3: Yeah, well let's see, it's taken bout thousands of years to go up that amount, and we managed to do it in what? 140 years. and also, surprisingly 1.3 degrees is a lot. There's a certain kind of jellyfish that in 1 more degree will die off. That doesn't sound like too much, but if I remember correctly from my professors, 2 more degrees and florida goes bye bye. Eh, we didn't need it anyways. Also, it will increase pollution related deaths (cuz carbon emissions) and also the pentagon says it'll probably increase terrorism. Also more on that later. And yeah I also agree with you, not exactly our WORST problem rn, I kinda think men with nukes ain't good and yeah cleaner energy's neat but y'know, global warming still needs to be kept an eye on. Even if it'll take 40-100 years to happen.

Most of this info is from professors and things I read, so if you want proof I can go fetch it all. Also, if you are feeling like reading into that thing you mentioned about people manipulating data, you should probably check out "Not A Scientist" it's a pretty good book that points out flaws in logic over scientific topics. Anyways, have a good day! :D
02/19/2019 3:05 am
WungaWunga
Alright, first of all, thanks for not having a freakout. Now, let’s get to the details:

1. I agree that the giants of industry tend to influence policy and even public opinion, but I don’t think the electric car is a fair comparison. It failed because it takes way more resources than any other cars to produce (so much for the supposed eco-friendly aspect of it!), not to mention its disability in obtaining high speeds or the high horsepower that gas-powered vehicles reach effortlessly. What do you mean by me being “in the higher ups,” and what does that have to do with the discussion? It’s not relevant, but since you’re so concerned, I’ve lived on or below the poverty level here in the U.S. all my life. The summits have done nothing so far but gather the same group of people to discuss the same graphs and data with the same ideas echoing around. Finally, your last part is really a matter of perception. Government can be pretty corrupt, but I just don’t see that politicians will burn themselves or their immediate family alive to enjoy a few decades of pleasures.
2. What do you mean by “don’t listen to them?” Those particular climate scientists? All climate scientists? Climate change deniers? Someone else? Your comparison of climate scientists to insurance companies or banks doesn’t quite fit well, either. If an insurance company decides to start scamming/exploiting its clients, people will go to the next company, and the former will go out of business. That’s capitalism at work. These scientists, on the other hand, are funded by either private individuals, organizations, and even governments (the CRU has received funding by the Rockefeller Foundation [Paid for by the Rockefellers’ massive oil company, “The Standard Oil Company”], British Petroleum (so much for trying to “screw everything over;” they seem to be pushing this stuff!) and, more recently, the U.S. Department of Energy, to “support the work of those involved in climate reconstruction [???] and analysis of the effects on climate of greenhouse gas emissions” (1)). So, in a way, they’re completely outside any overwatch/ regulation.
3. Again, you’re assuming here that humans are the major cause of this warming, which is misleading to say the least. I know for a fact that while we’re definitely adding more greenhouse gases into our atmosphere, but there’s no clear correlation in temperature increase. What we do see is a shaky increase in temperature, and that’s definitely worth investigating, but I’m not about to jump the bandwagon and blame all temperature variation on human activity. I do, however, see clear, irreparable damage being done to our planet in the form of radioactive waste, deforestation in the third world countries, and relentless use of pesticides, herbicides, and more. But that’s just my perspective. I’ve read your points and tried to see from your side, and, though I’m not convinced, I hope you’ll do the same of mine. Good day to you, as well!
02/19/2019 10:03 am
CHorse
Okay so looks like you didn't understand much of what I was saying so I'll clarify:

1. No, not electric cars, the first electric car. I watched an entire documentary on it, and apparently the first attempts at an electric car that ran on water was eventually sued. Oil companies even managed to pass a law or court order I can't quite recall, that basically made it so it is illegal to drive that specific brand of car; so the electric car is there in someone's garage but legally they can't make it run. :L And by higher ups I'm not t alking money, I'm talking in lineage of power. And also most of the people are going to die before the effects hit hard, like I said, so yeah, they probably would even if they knew.
2. Yeah those particular climate scientists. And much like you point out, there are other climate scientists. Yes, they're outside of regulation, but there's options of who to listen to. I would recommend more publicly funded climate scientists because typically t hose guys are heavily regulated and it's harder to manipulate data. So y'know, make sure your numbers are coming from a reliable source, that's all. Although saying that
3. Well I don't know what graphs you been lookin at but the ones I saw look like a zigzag up. If that's what you think shaky is, then I've got news for you; well I rly don't. Point is that data is messy but if the general curve is goin up. And yeah like you said that's definitely worth investigating.

I don't hope to convince you but I got a few things that would be nice:
1: Remember, you want to check which climate scientists are accurate and don't let a few spoil the rest.
2: Please no overgeneralizations; it's easy to do, but you can't say every climate scientist is going to try and manipulate data. That's like saying all rednecks are drunk dummies. Just remember that since people are different, there will be atleast 1 person who differs from the rest.
3: Even if you do agree or not, we still need to fund investigation to either debunk or confirm it forever.
4: the reason it's taken more seriously is because the entire world's at stake, and not just patches of land. So you know, if people say it's pretty serious that's why.
5: It really doesn't help that you are trying to support your arguments with wikis; I mean, I trust you know what you're doing don't get me wrong but . . . you know, can't help but feel rather skeptical.
6: Make sure that you denounce bad scientists and not bad science. See, if you tell people climate science is bad then due to that overgeneralization, people will view it as a bad thing to do at all. What you should push for is standardization or more regulation of climate science.

Have a good day!
02/19/2019 11:18 am
WungaWunga
Alright, here we go again...

1. You’ve lost me. I’m assuming you’re talking about electric cars and not water-fuelled cars. Am I right? Those are two very different concepts. While electric cars have been prototyped since the 1880s and are even available for consumer purchase today, water-fuelled cars are yet to get anywhere (and no, a car isn’t water-fuelled if it needs a solute/supplement to keep a reaction going). If you are talking about electric cars, can you show me this law that bans a certain type of them? As for the supposed suicidal politicians, I’d believe you that they might destroy the world just to enjoy themselves, but you really think they’d leave their children, nephews and nieces, sons and daughters, to die in a worldwide blaze? That’s a pretty cold outlook on humanity, but to each his own.
2. Okay, but how do we decide on who to listen to? What’s a reliable source? Practically all research being done is by a handful of organizations funded by the oil and gas industry and government itself. Just look at CRU. It’s been collecting money from the U.S. Department of Energy since 1970, and it got busted manipulating data. Just because a group claims to be “independent” or publically funded doesn’t mean there’s any supervision of its members or activities.
3. You’re right, there is an upwards trend. Within the last 140 years! Take a look at a more long-term graph and you’ll see that temperature hasn’t seen any unusual fluctuating, relative to even 500 years ago. We’ve seen way steeper increases AND decreases within the last 500 years than we have recently.

1. I agree, but who’s to choose when they’re all eating out of the same hands? The scientists at CRU faced no charges whatsoever for their wrongdoing, so why won’t the next batch or scientists do the same? The thing is, like a lot of things in this world, it’s all about business. Why do you think oil and gas companies would fund research that would incriminate them for destroying the planet? It’s pretty obvious, if you think about it. They wish to look like good people that care about the world, so they’ll fund some “independent” organizations to “find” some data to get people concerned about the wrong things. When everyone’s panicking about how the oil and gas companies are going to cook us alive, no one’s investigating the real damage those conpanies are causing on a day-to-day basis. That’s my problem.
2. It’s hard not to make overgeneralizations when we don’t punish individuals who manipulate data and hold liable the companies funding said research. I’d be for stricter regulation, but what’s the point? The government is funding their research! I don’t know about you, but it seems illogical to trust the government to supervise the government.
3. Agreed, but the problem is nobody’s investigating this issue without a special “interest” to account for. Collecting data from so many places at so many times is really expensive, and not many truly independent scientists can afford it. Worse still, scientists tend to participate in groupthink. If a scientist believes something outside the norm, their research is excused without a second glance.
4. I understand fully, and if we’re really facing global warming, whether human-made or nature-produced, we’re in some pretty deep trouble.
5. WIkipedia pages are definitely not a great source, but the origins of CRU are, fortunately, well documented. Just click on the citations on the Wiki page and go read up there.
6. I’m all for science, including climate science, and I don’t mean to denounce it at all. However, when I see data being manipulated, crooked scientists working together to fabricate a worldwide-disaster, and no one being liable for any wrongdoing, it’s hard not to lose faith in the field. Especially since climatologists are all being paid by the same handful of giants that are supposed to be causing this damage. Good day to you too, my friend! Although we don’t agree on the topic, I’ve learned a lot about it from our convo thus far!
02/19/2019 3:11 am
WungaWunga
Source: Wikipedia’s “Climate Research Unit” page. (Another wiki article... Oh well. The relevant portion is where it talks about its development/beginning/funding.)
02/18/2019 7:32 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect
TNHo
Overpopulation
Solution: Send a lot of people to live on other planets (like mars).
02/18/2019 5:24 pm
CHorse
02/18/2019 5:14 pm
Level 28 : Expert Warrior
GoggleD0GG
Nah, just recreate the hunger games.
02/18/2019 4:58 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Architect
LightlySaltedBuilder
Human growth has been slowing down, and with better technology it's becoming easier to produce food and feed people. Overpopulation isn't a real concern, and fears about it have usually led to human rights abuse.

Here's an article about it.
02/18/2019 8:41 am
spygron
If you can figure that out + we Martians have been preparing our planet for your visit!
02/17/2019 4:02 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Archer
Kwanatla
I'd say animals becoming endangered, because if this goes on and on, eventually all of the ecosystems will collapse, and nothing will work (basically). I think that global warming and pollution are also right at the top of the 'problems to fix rn' list.
02/19/2019 2:26 pm
Romto_
I agree, espacially talking about insects.
The earth is becoming a worse and worse habitat for insects real fast and they are really vunerable.
I don't think animal endangerment is something that is just about tigers and exotic animals and is a topic that people rarely fully understand, I don't either
01/28/2019 9:42 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Mage
Princessbookbear
I vote all of them cause they all have to do with animals
01/28/2019 9:59 am
spygron
So do I, its's terrible :(
01/27/2019 11:49 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Modder
noodlegamer76
I agree completely, But this would be better to be posted on Reddit perhaps
01/27/2019 11:05 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Architect
LightlySaltedBuilder
The issue is more complicated than you think it is. For example, in the area of trash, while picking up after yourself is good, it only goes so far. You still produce trash, and that has to go somewhere. America and Europe aren't the major sources of trash either. Most of the trash in the oceans comes from ten rivers, all located in Africa and Asia. The reason for this is that these countries developed quickly, and their infrastructure and their services for getting rid of trash couldn't keep up. Investing in infrastructure in developing countries is just as important to help protect the environment. Basically, there's only so much you can do at home to really address the problem.
02/18/2019 4:44 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Archer
Kwanatla
Yeah, true. But problem is that when Britain and pretty much all of Europe developed, they didn't know/care about pollution, but now that other countries are developing, everyone says that they shouldn't be using so much coal/oil. It's not really fair to those countries that have to develop on green energy, it makes it so much harder for them. I'm not saying that everyone should go ahead and burn coal/oil and all, but its kinda unfair. Kudos to those countries that actually manage to develop on entirely green resources (if there are any...)
01/25/2019 9:17 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Engineer
garlicbreathinator
Fortnite, and clickbait titles like this one :P
02/18/2019 12:50 pm
spygron
THIS IS COMPLETELY TRUE! and what do you mean by fortnite this is NOT fortinite
01/24/2019 1:11 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
DeluxeStudios
This is a very nice and important tread... but why is it on planet minecraft.
01/24/2019 4:20 pm
spygron
cuz I don't have anywhere else to put it..also there are a lot of people here
01/25/2019 4:17 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
DeluxeStudios
I guess that makes sense.
01/24/2019 1:05 am
Level 20 : Expert Toast
-bearwithme-
Personally i think its plastic pollution. I live near the beach and the sheer amount of trash that i find when i am swimming is ridiculous. even i mistake plastic for jellyfish sometimes, so imagine what a sea turtle would think. local breweries have started to use organic can connecters (Ya know the title plastic rings?) that the fish and other marine life can safely eat!
(sorry this post is all over the place)
01/24/2019 8:59 am
spygron
What you said? Or this thread?
01/25/2019 1:31 am
Level 20 : Expert Toast
-bearwithme-
My comment is all over the place!
01/23/2019 11:51 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Skinner
Evelyn1563
You are cool.
01/23/2019 11:53 am
spygron
Thank you :)
01/23/2019 8:31 am
Level 1 : New Miner
DouglasFulk
cool answer
01/23/2019 2:13 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
barrowisp
If you can afford to, buy organic produce. Even if it doesn't make a difference in nutrition in most cases, it helps to reduce harmful farming practices, and the more folks 'vote with their dollars' for organic, the cheaper it will become for everyone else.
01/22/2019 1:56 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
InfiniteCorners
It seems to me like every problem you've listed is a side-effect of human over-population. There are several things that naturally limit a species' ability to grow and sustain its population such as death by predator and disease, increasing competition for food and resources, and the seasonal changes in a region's precipitation and temperature. The problem, as I have always seen it, is that humanity has so far removed itself from the natural order that these checks and balances no longer significantly impede the population growth of humans. Despite the fact we are soft, pink little creatures with no armor, claws or fangs we've managed to secure a position as this planet's apex predator and, through that same ingenuity, we've even managed to conquer many of the microbes that threaten us. We have mastered the ability to regulate small pockets of our environment to the extent that we can live in even the most inhospitable areas- in fact we are so good at forcing an area to meet our specifications for comfort we don't even considered colonizing space to be unreasonable. Thanks to no longer being dependent upon 'habitable zones' for humanity to spread out and flourish our species has managed to organize and specialize itself to a degree where acquiring food and resources has become a matter of mass production and not something the majority of the population concerns itself with. This 'progress' of our species from a simple mammal, bound to this planet and subject to its laws like every other animal on the Earth, to a highly-organized species capable of inter-planetary travel and altering the world at will is the underlying cause of almost every 'problem' in this poll. Amusingly it's this same specialization of the species that gives us the freedom to sit around and wonder what went wrong and how we could fix it rather than spending all day concerning ourselves with hunting food and securing shelter. As long as we maintain our position as the planetary apex predator and continue to preserve and prolong our lives as long as possible with modern medicine the only major threat I can see for humanity is humanity itself. It is important for any apex predator to be self-destructive, since it has no other predator to contest its existence, however mankind has grown increasingly reluctant to engage in war so our self-destructive nature hasn't been doing its job very well- the number just keep increasing. I would consider the damage we cause to our environment nature's way of correcting a wrong; us. Without an intervening event, such as nuclear holocaust or viral pandemic, the way we drain this planet more and more with each passing year will finally do what nature has been unable to: control the rampant human infection. What is the biggest problem on Earth? We are, it's that simple.

P.S. Animal abuse/cruelty doesn't belong on this list at all. Although it is a problem for the animals suffering it isn't an issue that has any impact on the Earth, it's just another animal returning to the carbon cycle and not liking what caused the death of the animal is irrelevant to that. Actually nothing in your poll would constitute a problem for the planet since the most we will do is make the Earth inhospitable for Humans and some other large species but the Earth will go on and in our absence life will thrive and cover the planet again in time. Maybe a better way to phrase it would've been "What's the biggest problem currently facing mankind?" although I think it would be much more useful to ask "How could we repair what we've broken?"
01/22/2019 11:43 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Narwhal
pastelnarwhal
this response deserves an EMERALD gg person
01/22/2019 5:26 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Sombre
:o
01/22/2019 2:02 pm
spygron
Yes, we need to fix things, and humans are most definitely over-populated
01/22/2019 4:29 pm
spygron
Wait...you said it is important for every apex predator to be self-destructive...are you saying find a way to limit the population of us? That would be nice if it was possible...
01/22/2019 7:10 pm
InfiniteCorners
I did say that, every apex predator on the face of the earth will kill one another for territory which seems to be something we have stopped doing since the allied forces restored lands to conquered nations after WW2. Please do not get me wrong and think that I am in favor of Nazism or even Nationalism but pre-WW2 'to-the-vitor-goes-the-spoils' was how human war was conducted and the allied forces decision not to keep conquered land was a serious deviation from natural progression. The Vietnam war (yes, I'm American; try not to hold it against me) further removed us from natural progression by introducing cameras to the battlefield which overwhelmed most civilians' taste for blood-shed and forced them to question the... 'humanity' of killing other humans? I say 'humanity' in quotations because in the USA the 'humane society' is an organization that protects the rights of animals, something I have found insanely ironic considering how animal we treat one another. At any rate, I truly believe that the best thing for our race would be a nuclear war that eliminated a massive percentage of the population since I feel certain there have need enough governments that have foreseen this inevitability and made preparations to ensure we survive such an event... us making the atmosphere poisonous would be an extinction level event which is why I whole-hardheartedly advocate large-scale war.
Limiting our own population to a level where nature can replenish what we deplete and we deplete only what can naturally be replenished would be the ideal solution to our problems as a whole, regardless of what the problem is; it would restore us to the order the planet we live on is designed to sustain. The problem I foresee is in our nature to resist anything that would limit our species' expansion, specifically in the USA where we are pretty heavily armed and have been indoctrinated with a sense that we may have to assert our rights against the(any) government. Because of this reality (again, for full disclosure, I will mention I'm considered right-wing and own many guns) I say war is the solution, as I can think of no scenario in which trying to administer population control in the US would result in less than war nor would I suspect anything less from other humans. I mean, it's one thing for me to say population control is necessary for human survival and another thing entirely to let someone kill my child because they have determined they have no right to be born... death would be the very least I have to offer someone who thinks they have such a right. Even in Minecraft I find myself doing the same thing over and over: setting up a nice place to live, securing it so it provides all the food I need and no animal other than what I want can live there, and then destroying remote locations so I can harvest their resources (desert=sand, roofed forest=dark oak, ice spike=packed ice)- don't you do the same thing? So a part of me has to wonder if it's just in our nature to preserve ourselves and, like a virus, to spread out and inhabit (infect?) everything we come across?
How would you fix the existence of such a destructive and self-diluted creature? Could you convince such a creature that its offspring deserves to die for the sake of its species' survival? Could you convince a being such as this to not reach as far is it can, and resolve itself to its natural habitat? Or are we damned by our ego to overreach and watch our society collapses, wondering what we did wrong and how it might be fixed? Here's another, much harder, question: If the solution to humanity's woes was the indiscriminate decimation of our population- could you pull the trigger?
01/22/2019 7:18 pm
InfiniteCorners
P.S. I am drunk. I wasn't when I wrote my first post but I was for this one... while re-reading I kept stumbling over my words and I'm not sure if it's what I wrote or how I'm reading it but- sorry all the same.
01/23/2019 8:53 am
spygron
NO we cannot have a nuclear war. That could kill thousands of animals, which is my GOAL-- to save them. Let's just stop humans from reproducing and they all die natural deaths, and BOOM no more humans.

We do need to tear entire cities down though....I really want to destroy everything we've built :(
01/23/2019 3:24 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
barrowisp
I'm concerned about climate change, and all other impacts on the well-being of animals, but I choose to devote most of my free time to helping to educate girls.

In much of the world, girls are kept out of school, or end up dropping out of school for the simple reason that they don't have a reliable means to prevent leaks during their period. Every girl in every country needs access to accurate information about reproductive health (debunking myths about pregnancy and STDs) and access to reliable menstrual hygiene materials.

Helpful consequences of keeping girls in school include: delayed pregnancy, overall fewer children, reduced deaths during childbirth, improved health for their children (especially more living beyond the age of 5), increased ability to generate income, more stable families, greater ability to afford education for children.

We need clever solutions to solve the problems described in the poll, but currently we're neglecting to foster the ability of nearly half our population to be in a position to contribute to the solutions. I hope to one day see a woman from rural Africa or Latin America win a prize for significant contributions to mitigating the worst problems my generation faces.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome