Procedural Metropolis Project Contest Threadlayers

PMC's Avatar PMC4/1/20 12:00 pm history
36 emeralds 2.2k 118
6/4/2020 2:15 am
User3085859G's Avatar User3085859G

forum Discussion for the Procedural Metropolis Project Contest

This topic thread is for questions and general discussion in regards to our experimental project contest where our builds will feed a procedural generated city powered by the Infinity Project by Gheppio! Once the contest is over, many of the top submissions will be selected and populate a city generation machine that will be released for download allowing all of us to watch PMC cities grow and of course explore them! No two cities will be the same and together we'll give it a wide variety of community builds to choose from.

IMPORTANT: Read the full illustrated guidelines and rules before getting started. It will explain what the contest is about and the guidelines to follow when building your plots.

ondemand_video PMC Spanish community! Vea el video de arriba en español

cake UPGRADED PRIZES!

1st Place

• Minecraft: Builders and Biomes Board Game * plus $50 Steam Credit gifted to your Steam account.
  • A Contest Themed, Gold, Pixel Art Trophy for Member's Profile Trophy Case.
  • Profile Featured on PMC - 1 Week+.
  • Builds included in final city generation community machine.
* If the Minecraft: Builders and Biomes Board game can not be shipped to your country from minecraftshop.com, we will increase your Steam credit to $100. In addition, if you prefer to simply have Steam credit, you can opt for that instead.

2nd Place
  • $50 Steam Credit gifted to your Steam account.
  • A Contest Themed, Silver, Pixel Art Trophy for Member's Profile Trophy Case.

3rd Place
  • $20 Steam Credit gifted to your Steam account.
  • Contest Themed, Bronze, Pixel Art Trophy for Member's Profile Trophy Case.

Finalists
  • A special pixel art finalist medal in your profile trophy case.
  • High chance to be included in final city generation community machine. We're going to try to include as many as possible and may even release more than one depending on entries.

Participants
  • A special collectible pixel art participant badge in your profile trophy case
  • Chance to included in final city generation community machine. We're going to try to include as many as possible and may even release more than one depending on entries.

visibility View Procedural Metropolis Project Contest Details!

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Where's the starter map?
Download the starter map HERE.

Is this SOLO or TEAM contest?
No. It's an open project contest. If you'd like to work with friends, you can. However, you will need to work out with your friends who gets to post it and ultimately who will get the prize should the group effort win. We don't want to discourage people from working together. We tried splitting project contests into team/solo and feel it's sending the wrong message.

Which Minecraft version do I have to build in?
Use version 1.15.x

Can I build more than six houses?
No, at the moment 6 houses, and one submission, per person is the limit.

Do I have to build interiors too?
It’s highly recommended.

Is there a specific style we should build in?
The city generation will create paved roads, so anything "Contemporary" will make sense. We wanted to keep the theme as open as possible while ultimately generating cities that will make sense.

Additional Frequently Asked Questions

Why are there slab borders and building limits in general?
Slab borders are needed for house spacing, that’s why you must leave them, and the air above them, as they are. They are on two sides only, this is correct; you can build up to the edge of the other two sides. It’s suggested to fill the surroundings of the buildings with the same slabs because that's the city's pavement, in this way the builds are better integrated into the city layout :-)

What about water, is it allowed?
In some rare cases it may cause problems when houses are placed by the structure blocks; anyway, water is allowed. If water presents glitches in the rotated instances, it will probably glitch also in the final city! If possible. Try containing water pools only with solid blocks, and not with stairs or slabs only; they're the ones which glitch the most. If not possible, replace glitching water blocks with ice that it will melt down after your house is placed. If there are still some glitches or problems, they’ll be corrected before their integration in the Infinity Matrix.

Are we allowed to incorporate command blocks and redstone into our builds?
It's better to avoid complex circuits, while they should work fine, I'm afraid that if too many people build complex circuits that "do stuff" in their build, than this will make the machine much heavier to run on low spec PCs.
I don't want to risk that some people aren't able to generate their cities with your builds included because of this problem! If you want to do a special lighting system with redstone or a teleporting elevator with command blocks it’s ok, but try to stay contained and absolutely avoid automatic machines! Your devices must be user-activated!

What about the streets? How are they made? I’d like to make a parking lot or a building with road access…
The roads are 7 blocks wide, 3 blocks per lane and 1 for the centreline. Roads are made of the grey terracotta already present in the building sites, at the same level, pavements are made of the same stone slabs of the 2-side border, at its same level.
If you’re building something that needs a road access (e.g. like a parking lot) place the road-sized entrance/access aligned with the "entrance here" passage for 1x1, 2x1, 1x3 and 2x3 plots. For 1x2 and 2x2 instead, put it on the middle of the left or right chunk. In this way I can reprogram roads so that they connect correctly to your car entrances when your builds are placed in the city!

Are the items in chests, furnaces, dispensers, etc. saved in the Infinity Matrix too?
Yes.

Can I use paintings, banners, custom player heads etc.?
As a rule of thumb, if something appears correctly also in the rotated instances, then it can be used.
Paintings and item frames sadly can’t be used for now. Banners and custom player heads work flawlessly.

Does the front door have to function, or can it be an open glass door?
It doesn't have to necessarily be a door! It's just a constraint that sets where the front of the building is, so that the engine makes your builds facing towards the roads correctly. More like a "the door should be here" indication, intend it as "people will access this area arriving from here". After that you can put the entrance you want, of even something else! For example, in the largest plot, you could even put two small buildings on the left and right side and a small plaza in the centre, that would work too!

Will my builds appear together in the final city?
The city will contain as many submissions as possible from participants, so there will be houses/buildings from different people close to each other, a city from the PMC community!
Any generated town will be different and potentially infinite, in some of them your builds will be closer, and in others more distanced, and every building integrated in the Infinity Matrix will have a defined probability to appear during the generation Process. Consider all that is being created here as a single neighbourhood!

Did Gheppio design the procedural Infinity engine by himself?
Yes.
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/04/2020 2:15 am
Level 1 : New Miner
User3085859G
Can we ask Jeb or notch or Grumm or dinnerbone to gift creepers the gift of arms and as a variant of the creeper for console have a hugging creeper because I want to give them hugs
05/15/2020 9:22 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Zombie
PLEASEdeleteAccountNow
Gheppio this contest was amazing and actually I wish that there was one based on your generator (but with different themes each time) every few months or so. Unless you have posted it somewhere else and I have just not seen it yet (oops, my bad...but work has been super busy), could you please let us know when a map based on these finalists might be available for us to play with in our personal MC worlds? Thanks again, and for everything you've done to make this contest possible: I loved every minute of working on my entry for this, and had just as much enjoyment looking at the creations everyone else submitted, too!
05/13/2020 12:33 pmhistory
666Ruinous
Let me just say that this contest had my hopes high. Certainly one of the most original contests out there, we really aprpeciate @Gheppio's work in designing and hosting this contest. However the results have been, for lack of a better word, utterly disappointing. I cannot help but question the legitimacy of the results, which likewise throws shade into the judging process of all the past PMC contests.

While the first and third placers of the contest seem to well deserve their ranking and scores, I cannot fathom how the second placer could possibly be the second best among all the wonderful builds built by the other contestants.

"Technique & Execution" seems extremely subjective and biased at the moment. How could Infiniarch score 75, with a bunch of rectangular boxes, whereas eagoy's, blockcreature's, and especially JuicyBean's entries have clearly better and more well-thought-of architectural styles?

As for "Concept & Originality", how is it possible that InfinityCharly's avant-garde rainbow builds score only a 70, Koemcrete's unique Solarpunk builds scoring only 69, and blockcreature's build only scoring 68, while they are all far, far beyond the uniqueness of the second-placing build, that somehow received a 67?

I propose that judges should publicly disclose detailed justification for their ratings, and that they abide by clear, objective, and publicized rubrics when evaluating builds. This would make the judging process far more fair, and far more legitimate.
04/26/2020 11:28 am
PLEASEdeleteAccountNow
It's absolutely amazing to see the volume and diversity of entries in this project contest, it's great!
04/19/2020 7:24 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lava Rider
eagoy
Is there an minimum amount/percentage of UN-edited in-game screenshots?
If I recall correctly there was in the past a clear rule of minimal 75% stated.
04/19/2020 4:20 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Engineer
Gheppio
Nono, the usual value is 50% :)
04/16/2020 9:46 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
O 2
I hate to say this but I'm gonna have to withdraw due to stuff going on right now.
04/17/2020 11:28 am
Gheppio
Don't worry, it happens :-) Good luck with your stuff!
04/17/2020 11:53 am
O 2
Thanks
04/07/2020 6:08 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Architect
Idraw
Hello, I have a problem. I play on Minecraft bedrock on console, and while I may be able to get a schematic for my build I’m not sure if I can download yours even though this seems like a really fun project that in right up my alley. Should I just submit a map anyway, or is there really no point?
04/07/2020 6:30 pm
Gheppio
I've never played on bedrock so I'm not sure (please everybody correct me if I'm wrong!) but I'm afraid that Bedrock edition and the Normal Java Minecraft are incompatible!
To be sure, try to open the starter map, if it runs fine, and you can build on it, then it's ok!
Instead, as I'm afraid of, it doesn't work, then there's no point because the build couldn't respect the contest rules, and I couldn't open it from my side to integrate your houses into the city :(
Let me know!
04/07/2020 7:45 am
User2980476F
how do i join

please help :(:(:(
04/07/2020 10:06 am
Gheppio
Easy!
Read the rules and the FAQs, then download the starter map where you'll have to build 6 houses/buildings.
When you have finished, prepare simply a new project here on the site, you'll have the possibility to prepare a description and upload pictures.
Below, before the save button, there should be a checkbox you have to click in case your project is a submission for the contest. After you save, your project will appear in the list of the participants :-)
Remember to read carefully the rules!
04/07/2020 7:43 am
User2980476F
can i join
04/06/2020 5:06 pm
O 2
Yes. i'll join.
04/06/2020 5:44 pmhistory
Gheppio
Yay!
If you have any questions, look at the FAQ up here; if still in doubt, feel free to ask down here :-D
04/07/2020 2:26 pm
O 2
Are we able to make industrial themed stuff? Or is it only residential and commercial?
04/07/2020 2:51 pm
Gheppio
The "contemporary" theme is very open, industrial themed builds are welcome!
04/07/2020 7:43 pm
O 2
Ok. Thanks for the info.
04/06/2020 6:40 pm
O 2
Ok
04/06/2020 1:22 pm
Level 40 : Master Pig
BloodyComedyy
Question: Are we allowed to remove the glass which is the building height limit? And should the signs with tips also stay where they are?
04/06/2020 1:54 pm
Gheppio
The glass roof is outside the limit and won't be saved nor included in the city, everything built above it will be discarded.
The tip signs for glass roofs, slab borders and entrances won't be saved either, so you can leave them. :)
04/06/2020 2:06 pm
Level 40 : Master Pig
BloodyComedyy
Alright, thank you!
04/06/2020 7:41 am
Level 45 : Master Architect
Malitis
My work is in progress
04/06/2020 2:20 pm
Level 23 : Expert Ninja
aqariio
Nice!
04/06/2020 6:02 amhistory
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
iKabyLake30
Can I ask one more question .. what's gonna be under cyan terracota respectively instead of white concrete?

edit: and just to be sure .. roads are from gray or light gray terracota? you said in another comment that roads are from gray terracota but that looks like .... like poop so light gray terracota it is .. right? :D
04/06/2020 8:27 am
Gheppio
Roads will be made of the same terracotta already present in the plots, and the centerline will be made of white concrete (take a look at roads in Infinity City)

Below the city there will be the machine :-)
04/06/2020 8:35 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
iKabyLake30
Nice, thanks!
04/05/2020 6:34 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
AtlanticEX
Good luck y'all. I know I'll never win. :P Nice though, $50 steam reward's really good.
04/05/2020 5:09 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect
NowoCraft
I finally managed to open the map and I have to say, I'm very impressed. I let the camera roll while I explored and I fear there are quite some "Wow" "Awesome" "Can't believe this" and other exclamations on the footage.

The only thing is, I got so impressed I'm not sure I can add anything valuable. The example buildings are quite an act to follow. I think I'll let a few days pass so my memory of these buildings can fade a little and then work on my houses. Can't wait to see the result!
04/05/2020 6:05 pm
Gheppio
Well, technically the template world is just a collection of empty areas XD
I'll try to complete the missing example houses in time for the end of the contest too, but I also have to make some preparations related to the self-replicating machine itself.

Anyway, if you decide to participate, welcome on board!
04/05/2020 4:38 pm
PLEASEdeleteAccountNow
Gheppio, I have 2 questions:

1) I am assuming yes, but: will the blue glass above the builds be gone in the final form in which the builds are used?

2) Are beacons allowed?

Thank you! :)
04/05/2020 5:58 pm
Gheppio
1) Yes it will be gone, it's just to limit the area's upper border!
2) Yes, beacons are allowed :-)
04/05/2020 6:30 pm
PLEASEdeleteAccountNow
Thanks so much for the response, it's very useful!
04/05/2020 4:30 pm
PLEASEdeleteAccountNow
I cannot build a modern-type style to save my life. For this, I *thank you profusely* for that being an added personal challenge...I love trying to learn something new via the contests on here. :) It is going SLOWLY for me...but indeed I do have a skeletal plan (and also a palette) going with my entry so far; I've chosen to start with the 1x3/3x1 plot since it is to be the most unique. Best wishes, everyone, and I can't wait to see your entries!
04/05/2020 10:32 am
Level 25 : Expert Network
blabla3
Do our houses need to have beds, furnace, crafting, etc.? All stuff that is essential for survival?
04/05/2020 10:39 am
Gheppio
Interiors are recommended!
04/05/2020 10:45 am
blabla3
And one more question, can our entrances be wider than the 3 blocks? My parking garage has a separate in and out and I just want to make sure that I can have that.
04/05/2020 10:48 am
Gheppio
The roads are 7 blocks wide, 3 blocks per lane and 1 for the centreline. Roads are made of the grey terracotta already present in the building sites, at the same level, pavements are made of the same stone slabs of the 2-side border, at its same level.
04/05/2020 10:47 am
Gheppio
If you’re building something that needs a road access (e.g. like a parking lot) place the road-sized entrance/access aligned with the "entrance here" passage for 1x1, 2x1, 1x3 and 2x3 plots. For 1x2 and 2x2 instead, put it on the middle of the left or right chunk. In this way I can reprogram roads so that they connect correctly to your car entrances when your builds are placed in the city!
04/08/2020 11:13 pm
blabla3
Thanks.
04/04/2020 6:33 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Senpai
Hipercreative
I'm already working on my six buildings, here's my blog regarding my current progress! Also give it a try and build your own six as well! It might become the part of something big!
https://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/pmce-project-progress/
04/04/2020 6:22 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Cowboy
Ruben0_0
I have a question regarding the use of paintings; they seem to disappear completely on lines 2-4, does that mean we shouldn't use them?
04/04/2020 6:34 pm
Gheppio
Exactly, it's very sad :-(
They disappear because for some reason structure blocks don't save them; so they wouldn't appear also in the final city.
You can't use: paintings, item frames.
You can use: banners, custom player heads.
04/05/2020 4:03 pm
PLEASEdeleteAccountNow
Are there other things aside from paintings and item frames that disappear so we can avoid if needed? Thanks! :)
04/06/2020 12:28 am
Gheppio
Probably armor stands, there shouldn't be anything else
04/04/2020 8:12 pm
Level 29 : Expert Zombie
pearyoshi
That's weird. Structure blocks have the option to save entities... Maybe they disappear due to rotating?
04/05/2020 4:05 am
Gheppio
Probably, I'm still not sure. I'll investigate to solve this problem in time for possible future similar events. Anyway, since I'm sure that it won't be an easy fix, and since there are people who already completed their builds, I would keep the "no paintings" constraint for the current contest.
04/05/2020 6:34 amhistory
Level 29 : Expert Zombie
pearyoshi
That's reasonable. Besides, paintings are a cheap decor (in minecraft) :D
04/04/2020 11:27 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Dragon
dragonridersean
Hold up... contemporary edition? Does that mean there’s going to be more of these contests?! If so, awesome!!!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome