🌍 The PMC Weekly September 26th, 2020chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC β€’ 9/26/20 11:42 am history
37 emeralds 934 11
9/30/2020 7:55 am
FishyBusiness's Avatar FishyBusiness

Happy weekend! In this edition, we've got a lot of new fall/halloween festivities from members of the community. Results of a palette contest, a massive cyberpunk city, a build that was featured on Minecraft.net, an HD knight skin, a rock single from one of our members, and an interview! Don't forget to diamond your favorite entries in the Mythical Creatures Mob Skin Contest. YOUR DIAMOND COUNTS! ο»ΏHave a great weekend!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

ο»ΏVOTE FOR THE PLAYER SKIN CONTEST THEME!
Winning theme will run for the month of OCTOBER 2020!

REVIEW PHASE
The Mythical Creatures Mob Skin Contest is now in the review phase! There is 1 DAY left in this phase! Please read:

This phase is important - you can help your favorites make it to the finalists! Head on over and check out the entries, DIAMOND your favorite. Easy peasy! Now, go on. Go give those diamonds!
icon

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

NEW!

The community sure is in the Halloween spirit and it's not even October yet! We're kicking this list off with Prince Ren Hallow's Eve-ent Skinning Event! There will be 4 rounds and 1 bonus round in this event! Each round will have a different theme. You're allowed to upload up to 5 skins in each round - for each skin entry you receive 1 token, which can be redeemed at the end of the event! Cool!

Visit the Event Forum Thread for all of the details!

Event officially starts October 1!
https://i.imgur.com/ivuNzD2.png
PickleCat is celebrating their 300 subscriber Milestone and hosting a pallet skin contest! The palette features soft colors, seen below. Tag your entries with "KittensPalletContest"; no HD skins allowed. Player skins only!

Deadline
: October 10
Also celebrating a subscriber milestone is The PMC Sheep, who is hosting a reshade contest titled "On The Farm"! Add the tag "farmrecolor" or link your entry in the comments! The rules state:

"Give the skin some colors , shade it and (optional but will give you points) add some details. And, keep the skin recognizable!"

Deadline: October 25
- On the Farm - 60 Subs Recolor Contest Minecraft Skin
How gorgeous are the colors in the palette below?! If this palette doesn't provide you with some Halloween inspiration, we're not sure what will! LogMaiden is hosting a contest with this palette called Pumpkin Patch Spooks. No HD skins are allowed and Player skins only! We're looking forward to seeing these entries!

Deadline: October 28

SKINTOBER SENSATION

What is Skintober?
Skintoberis an event in October that Fawne came up with in 2017 to help improve their skin making. Participants are tasked with creating a Halloween themed skin each day corresponding to a calendar, similar to Inktober! Since then, members from around the site have created their own Skintober prompt lists, and remains a tradition in the skinning community.

We've already spotted four prompt lists just this week! Each list you see may contain some of the similar, standard halloween-y themes such as Pumpkins, witches and ghosts, but you'll also find unique themes!

Participate in one, or if you're feeling really ambitious, all four! Happy almost Spooptober!

πŸŽƒ

Spongie's Skintober List

Lxnacorn's Skintober List

Buhh's Skintober List

interlude_vi

Other New Contests:
😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Themed ContestWinter/Autumn Skin Contestr a i n b o wOctober 31

RESULTS

Results for LogMaiden's Desert Creatures Skin Palette Contest! There were a total of 27 submissions in their contest, all of which you can see in this collection!
2nd Place

Honorable Mentions:

⭐OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

CYBERPUNK CITY
FalconInfinityStudios submitted their first project on PMC, The Resistance. With a size of 2k x 2x and a total of 945,550,345 blocks, this detailed futuristinc sci-fi city was created by a team of over 20 talented builders! The submission includes a really interesting lore about social classes, chaos, and the ultimate reason why the population goes extinct.

FEATURED ON MINECRAFT.NET
Uknownymous was featured on Minecraft.net for their build, Dirt House! We think it kind of looks like a gingerbread house from afar, who agrees? The build was a contest entry to the Minecraft Discord's Fortnightly Building Challenge, and is made up dirt, grass, coarse dirt, cobblestone, andesite and stone and a little bit of red glass. Be sure to check out the submission to see what this dirt mansion looks like at night (hint: it's gorgeous!)

The article goes into depth on Uknownymous' creative process and how they turned the most unpopular blocks into art, and how they use them in unconventional ways as well. A great read and very well done article! Congratulations on your feature!

FEATURED SKIN
In addition to working on his latest texture pack and hosting his own contest, Nitgo somehow finds the time to create quality HD Skins.

This week, he published A Hero's Journey which features a knight in shiney armor with a blue cape. Someone states it gives them "skyrim vibes". We particularly love the details in the helmet and chest armor.

A Hero's Journey! || [HD] Minecraft Skin

SWEET SINGLE
CaraRose released her first single this weekend. The band, Neveroctober, is made up of herself and another person, whom lives far away. The band's "About" states:

"The first release of the neveroctober also spontaneously appeared, despite the great distance between the musicians. The Unhuman track has collected thoughts about traitors who are incapable of love, showing them in their true light of inhumanity."

We're fans of this rock single, and can't wait to hear more!

lΔ±Δ±llΔ±Δ±llΔ±Δ±llΔ± neveroctober - Unhuman lΔ±Δ±llΔ±Δ±llΔ±Δ±llΔ±

β €β €β €β €β €β €β €β €β €β €β €β €β €β €β €β € ───────────βšͺ️────────────────────────────
β €β €β € 1:36 / 2:14β € ⠀⠀⠀◄◄⠀▐▐ β €β–Ίβ–Ίβ €β € β € β € ──○─ πŸ”Šβ € α΄΄α΄° βš™οΈ

This week's interview is with...

Michiru! Michiru has been a member since 2012! During their time, they've submitted over 400 skins and have shared their art via blogs and wall posts. They've given nearly 6,000 diamonds and have participated in several contests and events that have collectively awarded them 32 trophies/badges. Michiru continues to amaze us with their art and their skins, and always seems to be focused and determined on improving their skills. Recently, they've been remaking their original skins in HD, always nailing the shading, details and overall character. Looking for a member that continuously makes great content? Michiru is that and more as you'll learn after reading this interview!

How did your Minecraft experience begin?

I discovered Minecraft in 2012, as it started to become trendy among junior high schoolers. I played a lot in single player using an unofficial version, as my parents didn’t want me to access the internet until I was 14. I still remember the first house I’ve built: it was square, entirely made of wooden planks, and had a flat roof with a tree on it. I got my first account (of which I won’t tell you the name, I am too ashamed of it haha) for my 14th birthday one year later and started to play in multiplayer.

Do you still play Minecraft?

Honestly, I haven’t really played video games since 2017 as I started college. I just wanted to move on to something else, and rather focused on creative hobbies rather than passive ones. However, I still play occasionally on a new account with my boyfriend and some friends of mine on a small private server. For me, it’s a way to ‘physically’ keep in touch as we’re all studying far away from each other.

What inspired you to start making skins? How did you learn? Are there any tips or tricks you'd like to share for someone that's just starting out with skinning?

I started to make skins in 2015 as I wanted to have the appearance of a very specific character and couldn’t find any skin of it on the internet. Meanwhile, in 2016 I met my boyfriend I’m still in a relationship with (So cute huhu). He helped me improving my technique, and we started to make skins together, and published them on his PMC account (which is mine now). Then he started to get busy with school, and I’ve continued alone. I may surprise you, but I’ve never watched any skin-making tutorial: I’ve mostly learned by observing the reality and using reference pictures for the shading. My advice for beginners: don’t rush, take the time to find your own style. You may also find helpful to take inspiration from more experimented skin-makers and try reproducing their technique.

You're re-making a lot of your skins in HD. Can you tell us how long it usually takes to make those? What challenges do you face when you're making the HD skins?

Well, it depends a lot on the skin, as I sometimes re-use a part of the design from one skin to another (Rose’s and Lily’s overalls are basically the same recolored overall), but I’ve never spent less than 6 hours working on a HD skin, and usually spend 8-10 hours. In my opinion, the trickiest part of a HD skin is the hair, which sometimes takes me almost 2 hours to make. More generally, I think that the whole challenge of making HD skins is to make them look as much realistic as possible.

We love your art! When did you start drawing? What are your favorite pieces?

Thank you! As far as I remember, I've been drawing 'seriously' since I was 11, but really started to have a decent style in 2017, and bought my first tablet in early 2019. Among the ones I've published on Planet Minecraft, my favorites pieces are this one I've made at the beginning of the lockdown :

as well as this one, which is an illustration I've made for one of my skins :

What is your favorite submission you've made on PMC? Why?

Definitely my HD Night Running. I'm really proud of what I've achieved with the lightning, not to mention that I am a complete fangirl of the anime the character is from. As I've mentioned on the skin page, this is also probably one of the skins I had the most pleasure working on.

What do you enjoy most about Planet Minecraft?

Although I genuinely love Planet Minecraft's welcoming and very supportive community, what I like the most is probably the quality and diversity of the content we can find here : Contrary to most Minecraft related website, PMC is not strictly limited to Minecraft content, and I really enjoy seeing other artists sharing their work.

Do you have any goals on the site (subscriber goal, perhaps win a contest, etc).

I don't really have precise goals here. To be honest, I don't really pay much attention to how much subscribers I get, having recently reach the 1.2 milestone is still really rewarding for me. However, winning a official contest will definitely warm my heart!

Is there a specific member that inspires you or you look up to? Who/Why?

Probably too much to name them all, but I really love DragonsDungeon's unique style which never fails to amaze me! I am also very impressed by Aspirin60 's and Nitgo's fantastic and extremely detailed mobs skins, I'll never have the patience and the motivation to make even one (Well, except my Leprechaun for the contest hihi).

Do you have any other hobbies alongside Minecraft?

As you have probably guessed, I really love art, especially drawing! I have tons of old (and ugly) paper drawings at my parents' home, and probably as many digital sketches on my hard drive! I also enjoy creating characters with unique designs and personalities. Here are a few of them I've also made skins of (Don't ask me why I wrote their names in japanese):

As you also may have noticed because of my artsyle, I'm a fan of japanese animation, especially for its artistic aspect : I like animes which have a unique and dynamic artsyle and a particular atmosphere like Trigger's stuff. I am also really physically active : I'm playing basket-ball in my college's team, and love swimming, and hiking in nature.

Do you have any pets?

I would love to, but sadly I'm living in my school's dormitory which doesn't allow students to have pets.

If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

France? No just kidding. I would really love visiting Yakushima forest in Japan, for its really unique and magical atmosphere. I would be pretty excited to walk among the oldest trees in the world!

Favorite quote or words of wisdom for the community? OR Do you have any advice for new members of PMC?

Always do what you really enjoy! Don't do it for the subs, or for success, do it your yourself! All things come to those who wait!

Anything you'd like to add?

Thank you very much for this opportunity! <3
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake