🌍 The PMC Weekly September 5th, 2020chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC9/5/20 11:15 am history
45 emeralds 1.6k 9
9/12/2020 9:05 am
Aspirin60's Avatar Aspirin60

Happy September, PMCer's! Who's looking forward to cooler weather and the next few months of festivities? We're in the process of planning a few fun things behind the scenes, and we're eager for what's to come. For now, be sure to check out the latest Mob Skin Contest that was launched just yesterday as well as some new unofficial contests/events your fellow friends are hosting. We've also got a member who's working on a really cool pack, a build inspired by the winding down of summer, a massive map that went trending on reddit, an INTERVIEW and more! We hope you enjoy reading, and hope you have a great weekend!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES!

This week we launched Mythical Creatures Mob Skin Contest! Please use only mythical creatures that real human cultures believed in at some point in history. Use the title and description to let everyone know what mythical creature your skin is based on. There are many to choose from!

icon
Deadline:
September 22nd

WINNERS have been announced for the Spellbound Garden Player Skin Contest! We had an overwhelming number of submissions in this contest; 410! There were fairies, reslics, spirits, small critters, wizards, gardeners, gnomes, merchants and more! We loved the diversity of submission in this contest and wanted to thank everyone for your participation! If you submitted an entry into this contest, you should see a nice little badge in your trophy case. Here are the top 3 winners! Congratulations! You can check out the Final Leaderboard here!

1st Place

2nd Place

3rd Place

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

NEW!
In the spirit of going back to school, Domolas is hosting a Back To School Skin Contest! You may make 1 entry in this contest, and your entry must be a player skin. It can be default or HD resolution!

Deadline
: October 1

In this build contest, you are to create a Minecraft build out of a work of literature: Giancarlovan's most recent poem titled "Meticulum, Meticulum". You have a lot of freedom but must be able to explain how your build relates or is inspired by the poem. Prizes include pixel art trophies and profile features! Click here for all of the rules and details!

Deadline: October 4

TsukiaKari launched a monthly challenge this week with the goal of encouraging other members to try out more varieties of skins and possibly improve their skills! This event is to try something different whether it turns out good or not!

At the end of the month, tsukia will edit the forum post with a highlights section showcasing some skins that were entered, and picking up to 5 people who entered to get a flat colored sketch request! Cool!

This month's theme is Glaring Sunset!
In this team versus team competition hosted by LogMaiden called "Guild Race" your goal is gather the required amount of points to defeat a boss through making skins or builds! There will be 5-10 rounds and there will be quests along the way for earning bonus points!

Sign up for either the Melar Mountain Guild or the Coltara Coast Guild and get ready!

COMMUNITY CONTESTS AND EVENTS ENDING SOON:
😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Reshade ContestStrawberryMelon Re-Shade 🍓kappuccinoSeptember 5
Themed ContestGlass 🥛The_TerminutterSeptember 5
Reshade Contest
Sea Nymph
PersonWhoPlaysMinecraft
September 5
Themed Event
Cats 🐈
The PMC Sheep
September 6
Themed Contest
Nether Skin Contest
ZappyGru
September 7
Themed Contest
Zodiac Skin Contest 🔮Kirigiri
September 10
Themed Contest
[​FOR FUN; NO PRIZES] // Colorful Skin Contestqlexi
September 13
Be sure to head over to the Community Event Calendar for a complete overview of current events!

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

PIXEL PERFECTION
Nitgo has been hard at work on their pixel-tree texture pack! They released a couple of updates this week - one in a video showcasing some the block textures and features. Nitgo also added new fonts, redesigned all logs, redrew all mob effects and also changed particle effects!

This pack is SO COOL and we're looking forward to its' full release. It's estimated end date is in 4 to 7 weeks.
A FINE FAIRYTALE
Who else feels like summer went by really fast? CaraRose used the season's closure as inspiration for her most recent beautiful build, Bees Fairytale.

The project states:

"Saying goodbye to Summer by building small cozy place for bees.
Huge green leafy tree is a centerpiece of this fairytale. Small piece of sea is full of tropical fishes and gives magic energy to the tree to feed bee nest. Next to the mountains there is small magic temple for fairies and probably for lost souls to find a hope and make a wish on the magic bridge."

TRENDING ON REDDIT
This week, Geet_Builds submitted their second map on Planet Minecraft and it is MASSIVE. At a size of 10k x 10k, this map contains just about 100 unique biomes and is vanilla/survival friendly! The map also contains several connecting rivers so you can travel the terrain by boat, volcanoes, several islands and forests and more!

Our favorite biome on this map is the badlands/canyons, pictured below. We love how detailed this map is. Just look at those layers of sediment in the canyons!

The reddit thread currently has over 3,000 upvotes!

SUBSCRIBER SKIN REMAKE
In celebration of their 800 subscriber milestone, cheyko decided to remake their first skin ever! They state in their submission that they did this one specifically "just as a little reminder to myself that you have to start from somewhere". They also made an HD version of the skin, which is pictured way right! Congratulations on your milestone, and excellent work with your re-make!

✿ ʟᴜᴋᴀ ✿ Minecraft Skin800 subscribers! Minecraft Skinluka - ルカ [HD] Minecraft Skin

FEATURED ART
Several of you post art throughout the week; we try to keep an eye on those who post their artwork in wall posts as opposed to their art blog because some of these are too good to not be featured in the weekly!

Voyager 6 by Aspirin60

crystalgolem

Crystal Golem by NaldoSahagin

Small Flame Particle by PurizumuArt

mermaid lady by Naimarra

INTRIGUING INTERVIEW
Last week, we asked you what you wanted to see added or more of in the weekly. There was an overwhelming response to bring interviews to the newsletter....
Interview with..........

CaelChan! CaelChan has been a member of PMC for just about 3 years! During her time here so far, she's made 307 submissions and has given over 14,000 diamonds. She's participated in over 25 official contests/events all while hosting some contests of her own. We thought she would be the perfect candidate for our first Weekly interview, and we weren't wrong! Read on to learn more about her minecraft experience, her goals, hobbies, and some of her favorite things!

How did your Minecraft experience begin?

I actually got into Minecraft after watching my best friend play it sometime in 2013. She let me try on her survival world and from then on I was hooked. I saved up money from holiday presents and bought my first account (naming it sweetpea1210 which is ew) with my parent's permission and from then on I've never really quit playing it.

Do you still play Minecraft?
I do play Minecraft still, often in my spare time. I used to play a small online survival server called Porkopolis, but have drifted away from it and I play a lot of Wynncraft and Hypixel currently, often with some of my friends from PMC. I don’t use mods and shaders mainly because I don’t know how oops.

What inspired you to start making Minecraft Skins?
I'm not entirely sure what inspired me to start making Minecraft skins, all I remember was deciding to make an account with my best friend in middle school so we could help visualize characters from the stories we wrote together.

What is your favorite submission you've made on PMC? Why?
I think my favorite submission on PMC isn't actually a skin I made, but a series of 2 blogs where I shared a story I wrote called "Born to Die" (parts 1 and part 2). I've dropped updating it now but at the time I had never committed myself to such a large project before so it was a monumental task. I was very proud of sharing something I had written and getting positive feedback on it, especially since it was a rewrite of a story I had written in middle school, and I was able to see myself grow from it.

What do you enjoy most about Planet Minecraft?
I think my favorite aspect of Planet Minecraft is the community. Granted, there's always drama, but without this site, I wouldn't have met some of my closest friends. It's fairly easy to communicate on this platform, and I love how involved everyone is, from submissions to wall posts to DMs.

Do you have any goals on the site?
My most recent goal on this site is to reach 1000 subscribers, which I'm actually really close to! But also I haven't set concrete goals for myself other than that, other than to push myself to improve my skinning style and technique.

Is there a specific member that inspires you or you look up to? Who/Why?
I look up to a number of people, but a lot of them have gone inactive as of late. When I first started on PMC, I idolized creators like Mangled, Felll, len-kun, cloverpatchh, LaurenAngels_, and yelloe. All of these creators created super interesting and well-done skins and really knew their styles. I loved seeing the skins they created and how unique they were in their own ways. Right now I really look up to a lot of creators, but to name a few: Phosphor, queen of simplistic yet unique designs, Fishkiss, who does some amazing out of the box ideas, and wqtermxlon who creates amazingly beautiful contrasting palletes that just seem to work so well and Michiru who has amazing contrast and lighting in their skins.

Do you have any other hobbies than skinning? What are they?
I draw a lot in my spare time and am currently working on improving my style when it comes to digital art. I also really enjoy writing, specifically story writing, but I haven't been able to sit and write much lately. And of course, gaming. I play a lot of Stardew valley-esque games, like My Time At Portia and Littlewood, which are super relaxing when I want to unwind. However I also really enjoy games like Assassins Creed, Breath of the Wild, Minecraft, and Paladins.

Do you have any pets?
Yep, I have 2 dogs, a Yorkie named Bobo and a Husky named Mara. The photo is a month old but it's impossible to get them to sit together so. Also fun fact, Bobo is 9 years old even though he's smaller than a baby (he's 6lbs) and Mara is 4 months.

What Genre of music do you enjoy listening to?

My music taste is so chaotic, oops, but a few of my favorite artists are Daughtry, Will Jay, Panic! At the Disco, One Ok Rock, Lewis Capaldi, and Set It Off.

How about movies?! Or would you rather read a book?
I'd much rather read a book than watch a movie, you get so much more depth and intricacies from it. One of my favorite series will always be Skullduggery Pleasant, mainly because the author is just really sassy.

Favorite color?
Maroon, which people often find confusing because my page and persona are covered in shades of blue.

Favorite quote or words of wisdom for the community? OR Do you have any advice for new members of PMC?
I've seen and spoken to people about this a lot, so I just want to say that creating content should be enjoyable. The idea of "pushing yourself to make content that your subscribers happy" isn't a healthy mindset and can lead to burnout, but I do understand how hard it can be to want to please others in order to receive recognition. After all, you, the creator is stuck making the content anyways, what's the point if you don't enjoy it?

Anything you'd like to add?
Not really, this was very fun! Thank you for the opportunity ^^
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake