🌍 The PMC Weekly July 3rd, 2021 - The 100th EDITIONchrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC7/3/21 11:46 am history
84 emeralds 2.5k 39
9/21/2021 4:00 pm
yoshiciao's Avatar yoshiciao

It's the 100th weekly! 🎉

100 weeks of covering community content! A fun job, if you ask me! Admittedly, it is sometimes difficult to choose which submissions to feature because we have so much such talent in this community and it would take forever to write about each submission I wanted to include. You all seriously impress us every week with your content!

The weekly actually started in the format of a wall post.The first wall post officially titled as "The Wall Post Weekly" dates back to November 16, 2018! Technically this means we've surpassed 100 weekly's, however, this is the 100th edition in forum format and certainly a milestone to be recognized! The weekly isn't nearly what I have visioned for it and ultimately would love for it to be in an online-newsletter format where you can click and turn pages and it feels more like a newspaper.

My biggest BIGGEST of dreams for the weekly would be to have some contributors for new sections like a comic/joke section, possibly a word cross or some sort of puzzle to make it more fun and interactive. Maybe some day!

I'd like to thank anyone who takes the time to read these! Whether you're a dedicated weekly reader or you just skim on occasion, we hope you enjoy (and continue to enjoy) the articles we publish!

Huge thank you to ZappyGru who created the pixel art you see to the right. The art features 25 newspapers on each of the four stacks to represent one volume of the PMC Weekly, to celebrate our milestone. Thank you, we love it!

As a small celebration, we decided to interview.... drum roll please... me! DinowCookie was so kind and wrote up some interview questions for me to answer. Scroll to the bottom to read up!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

We're in the Review stage of the Sunshine after the Rain Event. Stay tuned for a written summary of our top picks from the event!

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

New!
In celebration of reaching level 70 on PMC and 350 followers on Twitter, Nitgo is hosting an epic skin contest called Aliens vs. Astronauts! No HD Skins

Deadline
: August 3

In this mob skin contest being hosted by Melygoomba, your goal is to create a mob skin that GLOWS! HD Skins are allowed! The forum thread is very well organized and includes a nice lore to provide some inspiration!

Deadline: August 5
Part 1 of Chiaroscuro's writing extravaganza has come to an end and part 2 is under way! In part 1, every participant received their own prompt to begin the story. Participants will now continue the story of the person beneath them on the list in this forum thread. There were a total of 8 short stories/proses in part 1! You can read all of the Part 1 stories in this collection!

COMMUNITY CONTESTS AND EVENTS ENDING SOON:
😁 (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Palette Contest
P!ATD Album Palette Skin Contest
spicy_pumpkin
July 4
Reshade Contest
𝓵𝓾𝓶𝓲𝓷𝓮𝓼𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓬𝓮 - 900 𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓱𝓪𝓭𝓮 𝓬𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓼𝓽
kittywomp
July 5
Moodboard Contest
moodboard aesthetics
interlude_vi
July 6
Themed Contest
Catpeople vs Dogpeople
PsioPsia001
July 7
Reshade Contest
.:. reshade . contest .:.
MuteMidnight
July 9
For a complete list of community hosted contests and events be sure to check out the community event calendar!

RESULTS

Results were announced for DinowCookie's Experimadness Minecraft re-design contest! Congratulations to Aspirin60, FishStacks, and Krysalis for their winning entries! There were a total of 14 submissions in their contest, all of which can be seen here!

1st Place: Welcome to the lab of professor Pruts (Skin redesign contest DinowCookie) by Aspirin60

⭐OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

ART GALLERY 🎨
cheyko
shared in a wall post their personification, Heppa! We discovered that cheyko is quite the artist; if you browse their wall posts you'll find several more doodles!

As a celebration for their 800 subscriber milestone, vonk drew some merch as a celebration and posted their art on a wall post! Cozy sweaters and cool T's with bees! 🐝

Fishkiss shared with us digital art, traditional art, and photography in their latest art blog. You'll find pixel paintings, photographs of nature, watercolors of mushrooms and critters, and several other unique and fun works!

This next art feature in our gallery is made by Creative_Kylee who used their art as inspiration for their HD Skin, Hazmat Suit. The shading and level of detail in the skin is impressive and the expression of the face's skin matches the art perfectly. The art captivates us

Hazmat Suit | HD Skin + Art! {✪ Popular Reel} Minecraft Skin
Hazmat Suit | HD Skin + Art! {✪ Popular Reel} Minecraft Skin
Last minute, we caught the animated art published in FishStacks latest wall post. It's their first ever animated pixel art is of their skin, Warped Corpse. The skin submission contains a render and a non-animated pixel art drawing of this curious character!

Warped Corpse Minecraft Skin

CRUSTACEAN NATION 🦀
Why did the crab cross the road? It didn't! It used the sidewalk. Haha, get it?! All jokes aside, look at how cute the crustacean mob skins are below! We saw a couple of crabs and a couple of lobsters, all of different varieties. Three members used the axolotl mob for their crustacean creations, while one used the spider!

☀ Crab ☀ Minecraft Skin
crab by Zelinsky
Crab (fixed eyes) Minecraft Skin
crab by steveiscool
Lobster Minecraft Skin
Lobster by Aspirin60
Lobster Minecraft Skin
Lobster by noahsoboz

🍉 MELON MADNESS

Cake or melon? Tough choice, if you ask us! Out of all of the melons in the world, watermelon happens to be our top choice, especially in the summer!

Now you can enjoy the juicy red fruit in Minecraft, thanks to Squidington! However, it comes with the sacrifice of cake. The melon in this pack replaces cake but you can eat it just like cake! Delicious and healthy - yes please!

It's summertime, and that means pumpkins are out of season! Why not replace them with delicious watermelon? This pack by iRtaRyZ doesn't replace all pumpkins, but it does replace the pumpkin head on the snow golem with a watermelon! You can even shear them! They drop a carved melon, and you can wear it on your head like you can with a pumpkin! Oh, the golems also spit melon seeds 🤣

• Melon Snow Golems • [V1.1.0] Minecraft Data Pack

WORLD PAINTER TIPS 📝

4 years ago, Springstof made a blog with a tutorial on how to populate your terrain with flowers, plants and grass. The tutorial is outdated, so they decided to make a new one which they published this week!

In the tutorial, they teach you how to plant flowers in world-edit using commands and also teaches you a bit about the mechanics behind the commands he uses so you can apply them in other scenarios!

The tutorial is very well organized and split up into 2 sections: the first section covers Tall grass, ferns and flowers and the second sections covers Low grass plants, flowers and bushes. Learn how to use brushes in several ways and once you're comfortable, experiment and create your own custom

... what's this? Another world painter tutorial?! In this quick guide, McMeddon teaches you how to add custom blocks like bamboo to WorldPainter! Bamboo and some other blocks are not embedded in WorldPainter directly, so you have to use some wizardry! There are two ways to do this and each method is less than 10 steps - easy peasy!

The first method requires you to copy bamboo, save it, and then import it into WorldPainter. The second method involves structure blocks. That's all we're telling you. You have to go to the tutorial to read (or watch)

Bamboo... bamboo everywhere! Muah ha ha! Create a forest of bamboo and raise hundreds of Pandas! 🐼
Guide: How to Add Bamboo to Worldpainter | Minecraft | McMeddon

A little practice with the above tutorials and you'll be creating maps like this! Okay, maybe a lot of practice. Alera is Zhyrr's latest terrain submission and the beautiful screenshots makes it hard to believe it's a map in Minecraft! Alera's size is 5k x 5k and features several different, unique biomes including snow covered mountains, dense forests, a desert with pyramids, safari-like savannahs, and some beachy coast just to name a few.

Aside from aesthetics, we were happy to see PMC members work together to create an astounding presentation of Zhyrr's hard work; Evmanz orchestrated the cinematic, Barbarian and DeltaResearch created some renders.

The cherry on top? Alera is FREE to download! Oh, and it's survival friendly! If you're bored of Minecraft's terrain generation and looking for new land to explore and call home, don't sleep on this! Download here! Go..go now!

SEEING DOUBLE

Soltye was inspired by Tacoshet's Funky Glasses pack and created their own version, Glasses instead of Helmets! Both packs changes the various Minecraft helmets to fun, crazy themed glasses! 👓 We particularly like the globe glasses in tacoshet's pack 😏

Glasses variations in Soltye's pack

Glasses variations in Tacoshet's pack

OFFICIAL INTERVIEW

This week's interview is with....

ME! DinowCookie curated a list of questions for me to answer!

PMC is our wonderful community support person: Cyprezz's other half, weekly writer, event host, interviewer and Twitter tweeter! Did I forget to list something? Probably! This Elite Cake has been quietly curating the PMC Weeklies over the past 100 editions. And now it's time for us, the community, to interview her! In this interview you get some insight in PMC's Minecraft world, their role on the site, you get to see some amazing cakes and you can find a tasty pizza recipe at the end of the interview! 😋

Minecraft questions:

Build in creative mode? Explore in survival mode? Hang out with friends in multiplayer? Mod the game and discover new possibilities?

What is your favorite way to play Minecraft and why?

I prefer to explore in survival mode! Admittedly, I’m not much of a “creative” player. I very much enjoy mining, collecting, and organizing all the things! The last time I was in creative mode was last year, when Cyprezz and I were creating our entry for Gheppio’s Procedural Metropolis. We made a bakery, dinosaur museum, and a couple of houses!

YES. Mod the game! I think one of the coolest things about Minecraft is its unlimited possibilities. Whether you want a different look to your world, some added advancements, or even new mobs, it’s what keeps Minecraft fun and interesting especially if you’ve been playing a while! I personally use fresh animations by FreshLX to make the mobs more lively. Highly recommend!

My favorite way to play Minecraft is definitely with Cyprezz and on the PMC server when there are people online. It’s so fun to chat with everyone! We haven’t been on in a while because life has been busy, but when the PMC SMP Server opened up, Cyprezz and I were on quite a lot. I enjoyed the interaction with other members of the community and watching the server evolve. I also really liked seeing what members were creating and getting ideas from their clever ways of building!

I also like watching tutorials and creating things in the tutorials I watch. I learn so much from doing this!

Can you share a screenshot of your game and tell us something about it?

My turtle farm! This was tricky to create but so rewarding. Seeing the smol turtles hatch out of the eggs - my heart just explodes! I actually have a turtle shop on the PMC server where you can purchase turtle goods from this exact farm! Turtle helmets, potions, eggs.. you name it, the Turtle Queen has it!

My kitchen! I watched several tutorials that show you how to use redstone and pistons to merge blocks together and create things like a stove top and pillows on a couch.

What is your favorite Minecraft mob and why?

I have two! In no particular order, because y’know,
don’t want to hurt their feelings and all:

The chicken! I think mostly because when I first started playing Minecraft, all I did was breed chickens because the baby chicken is just SO adorable.

The turtle! They are so fun to interact with. I really like using their eggs as decoration

If you could add a new dimension to the game, beside the nether and the end, what would it be?

Ooooo. Hmm! Probably a space dimension. OR a dimension where you go back in time to when the dinosaurs existed! Ohhhh, or how about a combination of the two?!

PMC Questions:

There’s a lot of creativity happening on Planet Minecraft. What kind of submissions do you enjoy that you wish there were more of?

Minecraft comics and art! Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy seeing non-Minecraft art, but there’s something about seeing members create art and comics of Minecraft really makes me think about how much the game influences people in their day-to-day life. That’s really cool.

I also really like it when I see art with a skin. Whether the skin is inspired by the art or vice versa. It's like... the gift that keeps on giving!

Every week you publish the PMC Weekly: how do you find and pick the content that is featured on the weekly?

I try to get a head start on the weekly at the beginning of the week and add things I think are fun. At the end of the week I go through each section and sort by “best”, “trending”, “downloads”... basically every filter for that specific week. I like to pick something that isn’t necessarily on the top, and prefer a great submission that needs a little more attention.

How would you explain Planet Minecraft to someone who isn’t a member of the Minecraft community?

I always tell friends and family that it’s basically a social media platform for people with the common interest of Minecraft… but better! Because you can share your creations with everyone, and earn XP along the way.

What is it like to be PMC support and working alongside Cyprezz, Paril and the moderator team?
What is the most fun part about supporting the community?

I think about this a lot, actually. First, being able to understand and talk to Cyprezz about PMC on a daily basis is pretty awesome. When we’re not working, we’re talking about ideas and the future of PMC, or sharing things that we find interesting or discover while on PMC that day.

Paril is cool. He breaks things though #blameparil. Jokes aside, I’ve met him in person and he’s so kind and fun to hang out with! I hope he comes and visits before player 3 enters the world.

As for working alongside the moderation team; I don’t do a lot of moderating on the site. If I see something that needs to be removed, I remove it but for the most part, the moderation team does a great job! I am part of the moderator Discord chat and enjoy getting a feel for their personalities. Moderators are people after all ;)

The most fun part about supporting the community is watching members grow and improve! I've watched some members create a career out of their passion with some hard work and dedication.

Fun / personal questions:

PMC is an
Elite Cake! You made an awesome cake for PMC’s 10 year anniversary. How did you learn to make such great cakes, and do you have any more to show us?

Ah, I’m self-taught! I actually make cakes in addition to filling the position as PMC Support/social media person. Here are a few of my favorite that’s I’ve made:

In that same anniversary wall-post we saw a kitty! Is that your only pet? Who are your pets and how are they doing? :D

Yes, Onyx is our only pet. He’s the cutest, sweetest, full-of-personality cat you’d ever meet. He’s a Bengal and loves belly rubs and hunting chipmunks. Cheesy poofs are his favorite treat! I personally would have 100 cats and be a crazy cat lady someday but there’s this person I live with (*cough* Cyprezz *cough*) who thinks that’s excessive. 🙄

Onyx actually had an emergency visit recently. We thought he broke his leg, but thankfully it wasn't! Seems to have been a bee sting, or possibly one of the chipmunks he caught fought back and bit him. He’s much better now!

Planet Minecraft is a creative community site. Do you like to be creative too, aside from making cakes?

Yes! Cyp and I both are DIY'ers. I like creating decorations for Halloween (one can be seen below) and just making things in general! I’ve recently learned Macrame and am almost finished with my biggest project yet - a Mandala tablecloth! I also love playing with clay - I created the clay Minecraft figures for PMC’s 10 year anniversary and have made some other random figures over the years. Hoping to sculpt something again soon!

Do you have a favorite recipe for a dish or drink to share with the community?

My vegan sausage and tri-pepper pizza is quite tasty! What you need:

A batch of your favorite pizza crust
Jar of pizza sauce, or home made
1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
Pickled Jalapenos (or regular)
Banana peppers (in a jar)
4 Beyond beef sausage patties, cooked and cut up into smol squares
1 pouch of vegan cheese (I like violife’s pepperjack cheese)
Vegan Parmesan (nutritional yeast + raw cashews + sea salt in a food processor until it resembles a Parmesan consistency)
Kale (optional but recommended!)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425. Roll out your dough and put it on a pizza stone or pan, whichever you have. Poke holes with a fork and pre-bake your dough for around 8 minutes.

In the meantime, slice your red pepper (and jalapeno if using fresh) and cook the beyond sausage. Cut the sausage into bite size pieces.

Take your pizza crust out of the oven. Spread pizza sauce to desired saucy-ness level. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Add the entire pouch of vegan cheese and top with your red pepper, jalapeno, banana peppers and sausage. Toss back into the oven for around 15-20 minutes, maybe more if you like your pizza well done. In the meantime, slice a few kale leaves very, very thin. Take your pizza out of the oven when it’s done to your likeness, top with kale, and put back in the oven for around 5 minutes or until the kale gets nice and crispy
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake